ImageImageImageImageImage

Your offer for Ohtani

Moderator: JaysRule15

Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Re: Your offer for Ohtani 

Post#41 » by Raptors Realtor » Sun Dec 3, 2023 2:32 am

Harry Palmer wrote:What is the deal on his not pitching, btw? His idea, team’s rec, something he’s wanted for a while, for good or for a break, what? Because if he’s just a hitter, don’t get me wrong he’s among the best, but ‘among the best hitters’ is miles less value than that + one of the best pitchers. Is the thinking that his hitting will take a leap with less wear and tear?

He had to have his 2nd Tommy John surgery this offseason, so won't be able to pitch this upcoming season at all, but should be ready to return to pitching in '25.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#42 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 5:20 pm

Mehar wrote:Will take 10 years 500 million to get him, maybe at a minimum 450 million over 10 years. Not seeing Rogers pony up that kind of money for Ohtani, even if I wish they could. Most likely he ends up with the Dodgers, since apparently he loves living in Southern California and prefers to stay on the West Coast.

Dude would be a spokesperson for the entire brand. He’d be the face of the franchise and Rogers telecommunications.

Ohtani’s brand worth also sits outside of the franchise. Which is worthwhile for a company that also owns the Jays.

This goes beyond baseball for Rogers.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#43 » by Mehar » Sun Dec 3, 2023 5:57 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Mehar wrote:Will take 10 years 500 million to get him, maybe at a minimum 450 million over 10 years. Not seeing Rogers pony up that kind of money for Ohtani, even if I wish they could. Most likely he ends up with the Dodgers, since apparently he loves living in Southern California and prefers to stay on the West Coast.

Dude would be a spokesperson for the entire brand. He’d be the face of the franchise and Rogers telecommunications.

Ohtani’s brand worth also sits outside of the franchise. Which is worthwhile for a company that also owns the Jays.

I agree, but still seeing him end up with the Dodgers. That was an old quote from July you quoted. I could see 550 million being handed to Ohtani now after the year he had. Would love for him to come to Toronto, but I doubt he comes here (hope I am wrong). With everything I read Ohtani loves living in Southern California, his Newport Beach House, and playing in the Time Zone he does for home games on the West Coast.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,499

Post#44 » by bballsparkin » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:02 am

$500 Million dollars and free Rogers home bundle for life!
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#45 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:25 am

I dunno, committing that kind of money to a guy coming off his second TJ surgery - and who won't even pitch until 2025 at the earliest, assuming he ever does again - seems like a pretty big risk. I guess they figure they'll make lots of it back in marketing, but still.

Do we want to be paying Ohtani $50M per year from age 35 to 40?

If we have this kind of money to spend, I'd rather trade for and lock up a younger player (or two) to a monster deal.

Obviously I'd be happy to sign Ohtani, but these big numbers are a massive risk for the organization.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,349

Post#46 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:08 am

On asking players on the current roster to help recruit free agents

“Absolutely, yeah, we always do … Every situation is different based on (which recruiters) we think will have the biggest impact. And then we were also very cognizant of ... truly individualizing that in a way that (free agents) understand that we know them as individuals and we want to lean into that. We don't ever want it to feel as though it’s anything but unique and something very special.”

Atkins didn’t address Ohtani in particular here, so what follows is speculation. But if you were pursuing Ohtani and you wanted to show him how well you understood him and how much you care about him as a person, you’d probably reach out to the person who went to the same high school, wore the same number growing up and successfully made the transition from rural Japan to the West Coast of the U.S. to Toronto: Yusei Kikuchi. Now, we don’t know for a fact that Kikuchi’s been involved in the Blue Jays’ pursuit, but to say it’s imaginable might be an understatement.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/as-atkins-says-little-lets-read-between-the-lines-on-blue-jays-ohtani/

I always knew Kikuchi would go down as the most important signing in Toronto sports history.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#47 » by bballsparkin » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:22 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:I dunno, committing that kind of money to a guy coming off his second TJ surgery - and who won't even pitch until 2025 at the earliest, assuming he ever does again - seems like a pretty big risk. I guess they figure they'll make lots of it back in marketing, but still.

If we have this kind of money to spend, I'd rather trade for and lock up a younger player (or two) to a monster deal.

Obviously I'd be happy to sign Ohtani, but these big numbers are a massive risk for the organization.

They'll only make that money via marketing if healthy I would suppose. Nonetheless, the Rogers bean counters are thumbs up. So maybe just need him to be a success at the bat to break even.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#48 » by bballsparkin » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:25 am

wrong thread.......
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,062

Post#49 » by ItsDanger » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:07 pm

What does Ohtani think about Berrios getting pulled so early?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,833

Post#50 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:04 pm

560/13
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,220

Post#51 » by LLJ » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:39 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:I dunno, committing that kind of money to a guy coming off his second TJ surgery - and who won't even pitch until 2025 at the earliest, assuming he ever does again - seems like a pretty big risk. I guess they figure they'll make lots of it back in marketing, but still.

Jays landing THE big name player only to find he is damaged goods is the most Toronto thing ever
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#52 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:02 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

If all this were true wouldn't his true value be worth north of 100 million a season? If so why isn't he commanding that? Why aren't teams competing to pay him that?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#53 » by vaff87 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:19 am

LLJ wrote:

Jays landing THE big name player only to find he is damaged goods is the most Toronto thing ever

The thing is he’s still the best hitter in baseball. He would hit 50 home runs playing in the Rogers Centre/AL East no problem. But there’s also a good chance he may also be a Cy Young contender while he’s doing that.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#54 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Dec 8, 2023 3:44 pm

vaff87 wrote:
LLJ wrote:

The thing is he’s still the best hitter in baseball. He would hit 50 home runs playing in the Rogers Centre/AL East no problem. But there’s also a good chance he may also be a Cy Young contender while he’s doing that.

True, but he's also 29. I'm assuming the deal would likely be until his age 40 season. While there are lots of examples of pitchers being successful until then, for hitters there are far less so. This could turn into a Pujols like contract for like the last half. That said, it would be a demonstration that they want to win NOW, and for the foreseeable future - would make for a very entertaining half decade of Blue Jays baseball.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#55 » by SharoneWright » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:15 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
LLJ wrote:

True, but he's also 29. I'm assuming the deal would likely be until his age 40 season. While there are lots of examples of pitchers being successful until then, for hitters there are far less so. This could turn into a Pujols like contract for like the last half. That said, it would be a demonstration that they want to win NOW, and for the foreseeable future - would make for a very entertaining half decade of Blue Jays baseball.

Honestly, if the MBA's have projected an accurate business model,, the money on the back end won't matter. They'll have made it all on the front end years... Only issue I see later on is that his salary will continue to bump us up against the 2nd apron of the cap (if MLB keeps the current cap structure in place). So while Rogers probably wins the business-side of a 10 year Shohei deal - even if Shohei turns into a pumpkin in years 6-10 - those out years might also be rather lean in terms of significant FA signings.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#56 » by Hoopstarr » Fri Dec 8, 2023 5:27 pm

1. This is huge and insane
2. I would kinda rather have Soto. If Ohtani isn't pitching anymore then it's not even a question as Soto is younger and more slump proof with his walk rate.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#57 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 5:30 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:1. This is huge and insane
2. I would kinda rather have Soto. If Ohtani isn't pitching anymore then it's not even a question as Soto is younger and more slump proof with his walk rate.

well you can sign him when he's a FA. probably looking at a 500m contract
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#58 » by DelAbbot » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:30 pm

Why is everyone ignoring the fact he is on his 2nd Tommy John surgery this offseason?

That elbow surgery affects hitting too, not just throwing. Especially for a power hitter. I see a disastrously bad contract in a year or two with Ohtani if he signs 500M+
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#59 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:33 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the fact he is on his 2nd Tommy John surgery this offseason?

That elbow surgery affects hitting too, not just throwing. Especially for a power hitter. I see a disastrously bad contract in a year or two with Ohtani if he signs 500M+

No one is ignoring it. But he's one of the best hitters in the game and his arm will heal. We're going to let him pitch in a couple years.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#60 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:36 pm

Today is literally my birthday.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to Toronto Blue Jays