ImageImageImageImageImage

Your offer for Ohtani

Moderator: JaysRule15

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,415

Re: Your offer for Ohtani 

Post#21 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:16 pm

Didn't he insist on playing on the West Coast before he joined the Angels?

I highly doubt he goes to an east coast team. He'll likely go to the Dodgers.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#22 » by Cyrus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:42 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Didn't he insist on playing on the West Coast before he joined the Angels?

In free agency for sure, but if traded don't think he'll dictate that. He said winning is important
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#23 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:04 am

Cyrus wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Didn't he insist on playing on the West Coast before he joined the Angels?

In free agency for sure, but if traded don't think he'll dictate that. He said winning is important

Apparently Angels said they won't deal him to the Dodgers... In terms of Jays, I would definitely trade for him, but only if he agrees to re-sign.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#24 » by Cyrus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:37 pm

Looks to be moot, as Angels are going all with those deals yesterday giving up their top 2 prospects.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#25 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:51 pm

So the Halos made the same decision the Jays could have made... A couple of months of Ohtani and forsaking a few top prospects.
(except I think Shohei is done there and the Jays would have had a better chance to re-sign him)
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Post#26 » by Ranger One » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:33 pm

As much as i would love to have an all time great talent like Ohtani on this team, just for the pleasure of watching him everyday and the $$$ his publicity would bring to the team, this market and this front office in particular are just way to conservative to even THINK about going after Ohtani, let alone making legitimate offers for him. Its a nice pipe dream though. I havent watched many FULL games of the Jays this year, but will watch every inning whenever we play the Angels. Just sucks we wont get to see him pitch tonight because of that stupid rain out in Detroit! Grrr!
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#27 » by Cyrus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:03 pm

SharoneWright wrote:So the Halos made the same decision the Jays could have made... A couple of months of Ohtani and forsaking a few top prospects.
(except I think Shohei is done there and the Jays would have had a better chance to re-sign him)

The writing is on the wall, there is a reason why the Dodgers didn't spend at this off season or just 1 year cheap contract, get back under the tax, so they will go all out next year.

He's gonna be in Dodger blue or stick with the angels.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#28 » by hyper316 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:38 pm

Cyrus wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:So the Halos made the same decision the Jays could have made... A couple of months of Ohtani and forsaking a few top prospects.

The writing is on the wall, there is a reason why the Dodgers didn't spend at this off season or just 1 year cheap contract, get back under the tax, so they will go all out next year.

He's gonna be in Dodger blue or stick with the angels.

As much as I want to see more Ohtani if he comes to AL east, it's ideal for Jays if Ohtani stays west coast and even better in NL
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#29 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 am

I have a feeling Ohtani is going to SF, The Dodgers or Seattle. All three teams have better offers then Toronto realistically could offer.

I don't see SD as a market they have to pay Soto and they have a to invested in their guys as it is
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#30 » by Cyrus » Wed Aug 2, 2023 4:36 am

SD will bid just because Dodgers are bidding, and they have vendetta against dodgers.

Think it's LA to lose.

I could see Mets owner getting wild and throw like a 1 bill/10 year deal or something.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#31 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Dinner, a movie, maybe a little cuddling if he plays his cards right.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#32 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:27 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:2 months of regular season and playoffs 2023. A rental?? Or maybe he stay???

I normally HATE emptying the farm for a rental at the deadline. This time, I'm all in. Maybe it's the legend of Shohei, or maybe I'm less excited about our top prospects....

MY OFFER:

1. Ricky Tiedemann OR Brandon Barriera

2. Orelvis Martinez OR Addison Barger

3. Daulton Varsho (the trade piece formerly known as Gabriel Moreno....)

4. Alek Manoah

2023 Playoff Rotation (options):

Ohtani
Gausman
Bassitt
Berrios
Kikuchi
Ryu

2023 Playoff Batting Order:

Springer
Bichette
Ohtani
Guerrero
Chapman
Belt/Kirk/(deadline DH)
Merrifield
Jansen
Kiermaier

LAA are naturally expecting a franchise-altering haul. Not all teams are bidders though...
Would you include Alek? I think that offer gets it done. Do you? An overpay?
(We win the World Series... he's coming back, no?)

In theory, I'd do that if he commits to signing here.

But I don't think we should be looking to sign him. I feel he's going to burn out in a few years. I also don't think we should be trading any more prospects, for the reason that I don't think Ohtani will have a very long career.

Wow you were f*cking prescient how did you see this coming? We Dodged a bullet on this one!
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#33 » by agkagk » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:41 pm

SharoneWright wrote:2 months of regular season and playoffs 2023. A rental?? Or maybe he stay???

I normally HATE emptying the farm for a rental at the deadline. This time, I'm all in. Maybe it's the legend of Shohei, or maybe I'm less excited about our top prospects....

MY OFFER:

1. Ricky Tiedemann OR Brandon Barriera

2. Orelvis Martinez OR Addison Barger

3. Daulton Varsho (the trade piece formerly known as Gabriel Moreno....)

4. Alek Manoah

2023 Playoff Rotation (options):

Ohtani
Gausman
Bassitt
Berrios
Kikuchi
Ryu

2023 Playoff Batting Order:

Springer
Bichette
Ohtani
Guerrero
Chapman
Belt/Kirk/(deadline DH)
Merrifield
Jansen
Kiermaier

LAA are naturally expecting a franchise-altering haul. Not all teams are bidders though...
Would you include Alek? I think that offer gets it done. Do you? An overpay?
(We win the World Series... he's coming back, no?)

If ohtani had two years left on his contract or even 1.5, id say sure, go all in.

But for an expiring thats expected to walk, my gut says this would have been an overpay of something like 300%.

Also, given where this franchise is and the bottom 3rd+ of the lineup; i would have loved to have seen the jays ship out that kind of prospect capital for an above average vet or two.

Just my two cents…
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#34 » by hyper316 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:30 pm

I heard on fan590 something like Ohtani brings in $40M in ad revenue for angels each year, paying him $50M per year still makes sense financially
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#35 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:04 pm

Rogers needs to be competing for Ohtani this offseason.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#36 » by duppyy » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:41 pm

hyper316 wrote:I heard on fan590 something like Ohtani brings in $40M in ad revenue for angels each year, paying him $50M per year still makes sense financially

He’s underpaid if that’s true.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#37 » by Mehar » Sun Nov 5, 2023 6:21 pm

Will take 10 years 500 million to get him, maybe at a minimum 450 million over 10 years. Not seeing Rogers pony up that kind of money for Ohtani, even if I wish they could. Most likely he ends up with the Dodgers, since apparently he loves living in Southern California and prefers to stay on the West Coast.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#38 » by CPT » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:22 am

Filthy casual here, but I would trade (no longer necessary I suppose) or spend whatever it takes to get Ohtani on the Jays. That would probably be bad because he's 29 and apparently not going to pitch next season, but I like when the teams I follow are relevant and fun to follow.

As an aside, the West Coast thing has never made much sense to me. For your usual evening game, it's either on in the morning (East Coast) or around lunchtime (West Coast) in Japan. They're effectively the same thing. If it's travel - a few more hours tacked on to flights a few times a year... meh. If it's weather, well okay, tough to argue with, but he's from the northern part of Japan and played in Sapporo, which has a similar climate to Toronto, right down to the summers being kind of nice instead of disgustingly hot. Maybe it's a case of a bunch of marginal edges adding up to a real preference, it's just always seemed weird to me that it's presented as this dealbreaker with Ohtani and other Japanese players.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#39 » by greekman » Sun Dec 3, 2023 1:52 am

would be great for the team but at that price no.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#40 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Dec 3, 2023 2:05 am

What is the deal on his not pitching, btw? His idea, team’s rec, something he’s wanted for a while, for good or for a break, what? Because if he’s just a hitter, don’t get me wrong he’s among the best, but ‘among the best hitters’ is miles less value than that + one of the best pitchers. Is the thinking that his hitting will take a leap with less wear and tear?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to Toronto Blue Jays