ImageImageImageImageImage

Your offer for Ohtani

Moderator: JaysRule15

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Re: Your offer for Ohtani 

Post#61 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:37 pm

You made that restaurant reservation and used Kikuchi's name to make sure you got it, didn't you.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,282

Post#62 » by canada_dry » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:43 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the fact he is on his 2nd Tommy John surgery this offseason?

That elbow surgery affects hitting too, not just throwing. Especially for a power hitter. I see a disastrously bad contract in a year or two with Ohtani if he signs 500M+
Del being the wet fart in everyones joy is right on brand :) across sports!

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,859

Post#63 » by Duffman100 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 8:42 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the fact he is on his 2nd Tommy John surgery this offseason?

That elbow surgery affects hitting too, not just throwing. Especially for a power hitter. I see a disastrously bad contract in a year or two with Ohtani if he signs 500M+

No one is ignoring it.

But when you have a legit shot to sign the best player in baseball, you do it. Are you really arguing otherwise?
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#64 » by Parataxis » Fri Dec 8, 2023 8:50 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

No one is ignoring it.

But when you have a legit shot to sign the best player in baseball, you do it. Are you really arguing otherwise?

This is it exactly.

The last 2-5 years of the contract are likely to suck. There's a chance that the whole thing will suck if he's never able to pitch again.

But this is a swing that you gotta take. This has the power to transform the club.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#65 » by SharoneWright » Fri Dec 8, 2023 8:51 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

No one is ignoring it.

This is it exactly.

The last 2-5 years of the contract are likely to suck. There's a chance that the whole thing will suck if he's never able to pitch again.

But this is a swing that you gotta take. This has the power to transform the club.

It's more of a business decision than a baseball decision anyway. They've factored in the injury and his age.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#66 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Dec 8, 2023 9:31 pm

Honestly was convinced any iota of hope I gave this would be investment in pain, then remembered that’s what we sports fans do. Now I don’t know what to think. Happy Birthday to me! Cy will try and take all the credit, and while he’s an honourable man, in this case it’s clearly down to my birthday. It’s just so obvious.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#67 » by JN » Fri Dec 8, 2023 10:01 pm

If he does sign, thankfully we didn't trade for him at end of July.

2 reasons:
1) Saved assets, and more importantly.
2) If he had watched the rest of his teammates play everyday in August and September, he would have told us to **** off at the end of the season.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#68 » by Mehar » Fri Dec 8, 2023 10:46 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Honestly was convinced any iota of hope I gave this would be investment in pain, then remembered that’s what we sports fans do. Now I don’t know what to think. Happy Birthday to me! Cy will try and take all the credit, and while he’s an honourable man, in this case it’s clearly down to my birthday. It’s just so obvious.

Happy Birthday to you Sir. My birthday is tomorrow (December 9). What a great Birthday Present to have Ohtani in a Jays Uniform. Will only get excited when it is officially announced.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#69 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Dec 8, 2023 11:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

No one is ignoring it.

Exactly this, guys like Ohtani aren't just out there and if your team has a shot to get him you do it. Verlander was out with Tommy John and he is strictly a pitcher and a lot of teams wanted him albeit a shorter contract but still. Ohtani is a MVP candidate and Cy Young candidate plus a marketing machine. This is a no brainer for Toronto and opens up opportunities for free agents that wouldn't sign here
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#70 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Dec 9, 2023 12:09 am

Mehar wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Honestly was convinced any iota of hope I gave this would be investment in pain, then remembered that’s what we sports fans do. Now I don’t know what to think. Happy Birthday to me! Cy will try and take all the credit, and while he’s an honourable man, in this case it’s clearly down to my birthday. It’s just so obvious.

Happy Birthday to you Sir. My birthday is tomorrow (December 9). What a great Birthday Present to have Ohtani in a Jays Uniform. Will only get excited when it is officially announced.

Appreciate the kind words, but all the flowery language in the world won’t distract me from your pathetic attempt to put the signing off until tomorrow when of course your birthday would deserve all the credit/parade/key to the city/free Swiss Chalet for life.

Outrageous!
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#71 » by DelAbbot » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:49 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

No one is ignoring it.

Exactly this, guys like Ohtani aren't just out there and if your team has a shot to get him you do it. Verlander was out with Tommy John and he is strictly a pitcher and a lot of teams wanted him albeit a shorter contract but still. Ohtani is a MVP candidate and Cy Young candidate plus a marketing machine. This is a no brainer for Toronto and opens up opportunities for free agents that wouldn't sign here

When Cody Bellinger was on the market last FA why didn't we offer him a boatload of cash even though he came off a poor season? That would have been a good risk to take, rather than overpaying for Ohtani's pitching, while there is a risk he may not pitch again at previous levels and have negative impact on his hitting due to the 2nd Tommy John surgery.

Verlander (who is a physical exception like Nolan Ryan btw) had Tommy John surgery but no one was giving him a long term contract at the highest ever AAV in the history of the MLB.

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#72 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Dec 9, 2023 2:31 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
No one is ignoring it.

When Cody Bellinger was on the market last FA why didn't we offer him a boatload of cash even though he came off a poor season? That would have been a good risk to take, rather than overpaying for Ohtani's pitching, while there is a risk he may not pitch again at previous levels and have negative impact on his hitting due to the 2nd Tommy John surgery.

Verlander (who is a physical exception like Nolan Ryan btw) had Tommy John surgery but no one was giving him a long term contract at the highest ever AAV in the history of the MLB.

Ohtani can hit. Verlander cant. He’s also a decade older than Ohtani. Bellinger was coming off 3 bad seasons. Ohtani is coming off 3 MVP level seasons.

Did the first Tommy John surgery affect his hitting?

It’s a bit baffling that you’re questioning paying a player in a legit conversation for being the best player in the history of baseball, in his prime, who also earns a mint for his team in marketing cash.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#73 » by xAIRNESSx » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#74 » by JN » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:20 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
No one is ignoring it.

When Cody Bellinger was on the market last FA why didn't we offer him a boatload of cash even though he came off a poor season?
That would have been a good risk to take, rather than overpaying for Ohtani's pitching, while there is a risk he may not pitch again at previous levels and have negative impact on his hitting due to the 2nd Tommy John surgery.

If Vlad Guerrero hits like a bad version of Alfredo Griffin in 2024, then hits a tad worse than Daulton Varsho did this year in 2025, would you offer him a boatload of cash in 2026?

That was Cody Bellinger last offseason. Can't blame anybody for not throwing mega cash at him last offseason.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays