ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Playoff Chase & Standings Watch

Moderator: JaysRule15

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: 2023 Playoff Chase & Standings Watch 

Post#81 » by Boogie! » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:22 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:When has Romano ever looked even close to as bad as that?

This can't be a real question.

Did you happen to watch what Chapman did that inning? :lol:

I know you love Romano but come on man. That's the exact same type of inning that led to the blowmano nickname in the first place. A couple of base hits, nervous energy and wild, a walk. Come on dude. That's **** Romano to a t.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,964

Post#82 » by Potential » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:23 am

Aroldis Trashman

We'll be in the playoffs tomorrow

Read on Twitter
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,342

Post#83 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:26 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
This can't be a real question.

Did you happen to watch what Chapman did that inning? :lol:

I know you love Romano but come on man. That's the exact same type of inning that led to the blowmano nickname in the first place. A couple of base hits, nervous energy and wild, a walk. Come on dude. That's **** Romano to a t.

You cannot be serious. I don't like Romano much at all, but I've never seen him completely lose the zone like Chapman did in that inning. When Chapman is off like that, he's as bad as it gets. Bochy had to pull him immediately because he and everyone else in the stadium knew that he was not gonna throw another strike for the rest of that inning.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#84 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:35 am

Potential wrote:Aroldis Trashman

Read on Twitter

I'm almost 100% sure that tweet is incorrect btw.

Even with a Jays win and Astros loss, there's a very real scenario where all teams finish at 89 wins (if Seattle sweeps Texas and the Astros go on to win 2 of 3 against a clinched Zona team). Jays miss out in that case.

If we don't win the Rays series, we need a Mariners loss at some point and I'm not sure we're gonna get it.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#85 » by Boogie! » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:36 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Did you happen to watch what Chapman did that inning? :lol:

You cannot be serious. I don't like Romano much at all, but I've never seen him completely lose the zone like Chapman did in that inning. When Chapman is off like that, he's as bad as it gets. Bochy had to pull him immediately because and everyone else in the stadium knew that he was not gonna throw another strike for the rest of that inning.

Chapman literally gave up a hit on his second pitch in the zone, and then his 3rd and 4th pitches were both in the zone, the 4th being the second hit he gave up. He then got nervous and walked the 3rd batter. Chapman was not wild all inning the way youre trying to describe. Romano has definitely walked a batter and definitely had no control of the zone and has definitely had similar innings to that Chapman inning multiple times.

I keep saying Romano sometimes has no idea where his pitches are going because he doesn't. Sometimes he gets lucky with hitting pinpoint spots, sometimes he's hanging sliders right down the middle. Romano has been just as bad as that inning at times.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#86 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:39 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

You cannot be serious. I don't like Romano much at all, but I've never seen him completely lose the zone like Chapman did in that inning. When Chapman is off like that, he's as bad as it gets. Bochy had to pull him immediately because and everyone else in the stadium knew that he was not gonna throw another strike for the rest of that inning.

Chapman literally gave up a hit on his second pitch in the zone, and then his 3rd and 4th pitches were both in the zone, the 4th being the second hit he gave up. He then got nervous and walked the 3rd batter. Chapman was not wild all inning the way youre trying to describe. Romano has definitely walked a batter and definitely had no control of the zone and has definitely had similar innings to that Chapman inning multiple times.

I keep saying Romano sometimes has no idea where his pitches are going because he doesn't. Sometimes he gets lucky with hitting pinpoint spots, sometimes he's hanging sliders right down the middle. Romano has been just as bad as that inning at times.

He got nervous? That's what you call what happened there?

The guy went full Nuke Laloosh on the mound against France to the point that his manager had to pull him before he even throw another pitch. Romano has given up hard hits/HRs but I've never seen him look like a rookie ball pitcher who couldn't throw a strike to save his life.

If Chapman looked like an even passable major leaguer in that spot, they would have kept him in (because with his strikeout ability, he's one of the few guys who can actually get out of that kind of jam). He didn't.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#87 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:48 am

Chapman nearly hit France in the leg three times in that AB with fastballs, including one wild pitch and two more that probably should have been. Yeah, I've never seen anything even close to that from Romano his entire career. That was the kind of epic disaster of a performance you only get from Aroldis Chapman on his really bad days.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#88 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 am

Read on Twitter

Could get very interesting after tomorrow in a loss.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,964

Post#89 » by Potential » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:17 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Potential wrote:Aroldis Trashman

Read on Twitter

I'm almost 100% sure that tweet is incorrect btw.

Even with a Jays win and Astros loss, there's a very real scenario where all teams finish at 89 wins (if Seattle sweeps Texas and the Astros go on to win 2 of 3 against a clinched Zona team). Jays miss out in that case.

If we don't win the Rays series, we need a Mariners loss at some point and I'm not sure we're gonna get it.

Yeah you're right. First scenario below. We need 1 more W + atleast 1 more Mariners loss

Read on Twitter
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,577

Post#90 » by Mak » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm

okay so we are cheering for Arizona and Texas today? Even if Astros win today it will keep pressure on the Rangers to try and win.
Mak
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mak » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:19 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mak wrote:OMG Chapman is doing his Romano impression.

When has Romano ever looked even close to as bad as that?

Saturday in Tampa.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#92 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:00 pm

Mak wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mak wrote:OMG Chapman is doing his Romano impression.

When has Romano ever looked even close to as bad as that?

Saturday in Tampa.

He was bad that day and still looked nothing close to hitting somebody three times in the same AB.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#93 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:01 pm

Mak wrote:okay so we are cheering for Arizona and Texas today? Even if Astros win today it will keep pressure on the Rangers to try and win.

We really need Texas to win a damn game and not get swept.
Mak
RealGM

Post#94 » by Mak » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:02 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mak wrote:okay so we are cheering for Arizona and Texas today? Even if Astros win today it will keep pressure on the Rangers to try and win.

If rangers got swept they might miss the playoffs altogether. Surely they can win one game?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#95 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:05 pm

Mak wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

If rangers got swept they might miss the playoffs altogether. Surely they can win one game?

Their bullpen will do what it can to prevent it.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#96 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:07 pm

Mak wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

This is a team that got swept by Cleveland just a few weeks ago and has nearly run out of pitching. Anything is possible (especially Seattle sweeping that series with their season on the line).
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#97 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:06 pm

The Rangers could easily get swept by the Mariners. A 4 game sweep in any series is always unlikely just due to baseball being baseball, but they have an awful bullpen and continuously give the ball to Chapman at the end of games so they are certainly beatable. Would have been nice if the M’s took 2/3 from the Astros. That would have made life a bit easier for the Blue Jays.

The goal at this point is not only to get in but also to avoid using Gausman Sunday. They need to win and also need some help from others.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#98 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:44 am

So the Rangers got absolutely annihilated tonight and the pitching matchups are badly against them the rest of the weekend (they don't even have a SP available tomorrow). The sweep is coming and it might even knock them out of the playoffs from 99.2% odds just yesterday (it will just take one Jays win and one Astros win the rest of the weekend to do it).

Jays better find a way to win one more.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#99 » by JN » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:13 am

Houston wins - if Houston wins tomorrow (and we don't), I suspect Tampa will be doing their best to throw the game away on Sunday.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#100 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:42 am

JN wrote:Houston wins - if Houston wins tomorrow (and we don't), I suspect Tampa will be doing their best to throw the game away on Sunday.

Judging by how they used their starting pitchers today (and by how I expect them to use all of their short high leverage RPs tomorrow), I fully expect they won't be using a single pitcher they plan to use in the playoffs on Sunday.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays