Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,349

Re: Rangers @ Jays / Sept 11-14 

Post#641 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:03 am

Ranger One wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
He assumed Vlad was the golden goose. So he built the team that way. But Vlad turned into a pumpkin.

Some of this is on Guerrero. But yeah, he’s gone. I would like that Moreno trade back. I’d like to have at least signed Jansen to an extension before making that trade… The pitching is good. The farm is crap. No reason for him to be here next year.

Pretty optimistic thinking to believe Atkins is going anywhere. Shapiro will trust in their collective process, particularly given the unexpected nature of Manoah and Vlad's collapses.

The best hope is they can at least make a scapegoat out of Schneider and get somebody who at least understands how to watch a baseball game.

Zero chance Schneider is going anywhere. He's the ultimate yesman and corporate mouthpiece. If he hasnt been fired yet after the many many many blunders already this year and the fact that hes getting chewed out on live TV by his own players, then hes never getting fired.

You're probably right. He's a loyal minion to them.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#642 » by JN » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:03 am

greekman wrote:and like always yimi lets in runs that don't count against his era because he inherited them. there have been so many of them that his era misleads

Actually Yimi is the 4th best reliever in the AL with only 16% of inherited runners scoring before tonight (5/30).

Yimi has been meh this year, but inherited runners was actually one of his strengths.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,410

Post#643 » by Ranger One » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:04 am

Cyrus wrote:Texas gonna hang another 10 spot against our supposed elite pitching and bullpen?

they ARE elite. But as buck said, and which i reiterated after game 1, is that when your offence is incapable of scoring more than 2 runs a game on the regular, it puts a huge toll on your pitching staff to be perfect every game. And now you see the result of that. This is ALL on the offense, no one else. You cant expect your pitchers to throws shutouts or 1 run outings every game.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#644 » by greekman » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:05 am

after this game springer ties the most games played in a season since 2018
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,226

Post#645 » by Madvillainy2004 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:07 am

How much rope can Shatkins even get? It's not like they came from the Dynasty Yankees or Red Sox. Their Guardians resume is so meh I can't believe how much of a commitment we made to them.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#646 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:09 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:How much rope can Shatkins even get? It's not like they came from the Dynasty Yankees or Red Sox. Their Guardians resume is so meh I can't believe how much of a commitment we made to them.

Shapiro will almost certainly be here for years and years to come. He's good friends with Ed. I should also say that I'm not sure we want him to leave either. That relationship has been helpful in actually getting Rogers to spend significant money on this team for basically the first time since they took ownership two decades ago.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#647 » by Cyrus » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:12 am

Ranger One wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Texas gonna hang another 10 spot against our supposed elite pitching and bullpen?

they ARE elite. But as buck said, and which i reiterated after game 1, is that when your offence is incapable of scoring more than 2 runs a game on the regular, it puts a huge toll on your pitching staff to be perfect every game. And now you see the result of that. This is ALL on the offense, no one else. You cant expect your pitchers to throws shutouts or 1 run outings every game.

I'm not expecting them to throw shut out innings, maybe keep it to 5 runs. That's not expecting much when you have elite pitching. Everything failed in this series, pitching, hitting, bullpen.

Giving up 10 runs a game, wouldn't matter if we had elite offense, which we clearly don't, your not winning many games.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#648 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:12 am

Blow Jays indeed. Where's Shea Hillenbrand when you need him...
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#649 » by JN » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:13 am

I'm surprised that there are still this many fans at the game -- its already benn a long game over 3 hours.

I guess they want to be there to boo the team off the field when the game officially ends.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#650 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:16 am

Whit faking injury now out of embarrassment due to how bad he is in LF.
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#651 » by Ranger One » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:17 am

JN wrote:I'm surprised that there are still this many fans at the game -- its already benn a long game over 3 hours.

I guess they want to be there to boo the team off the field when the game officially ends.

Only reason im still watching this game tbh lol
"We are Rangers.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#652 » by bluerap23 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:22 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:How much rope can Shatkins even get? It's not like they came from the Dynasty Yankees or Red Sox. Their Guardians resume is so meh I can't believe how much of a commitment we made to them.

Shapiro will almost certainly be here for years and years to come. He's good friends with Ed. I should also say that I'm not sure we want him to leave either. That relationship has been helpful in actually getting Rogers to spend significant money on this team for basically the first time since they took ownership two decades ago.

I'm ok with Shapiro as long as Atkins is replaced. I think we have a good in house option too. Schneider also has to go.
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#653 » by Ranger One » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:27 am

4 noncompetitive games in a row, 3 of which were blowouts...at home...in the most important series of the season. Truly an impressive feat by this Blue Jays team.
"We are Rangers.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#654 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:28 am

Ranger One wrote:4 noncompetitive games in a row, 3 of which were blowouts...at home...in the most important series of the season. Truly an impressive feat by this Blue Jays team.

Also completely expected.

Turns out bad baseball doesn't translate well when you finally start playing good teams again.
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#655 » by Ranger One » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:29 am

Also, lets not forget. Ernie Clement's reward for going 2 for 3 yesterday was being benched for the worst hitter in all of baseball since May 1st.
"We are Rangers.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#656 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:30 am

The hits are really starting to stack up. Another four tonight. Before you know it, you'll need at least two hands to count all the hits on your fingers...
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#657 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:33 am

C Court wrote:There can’t be any way that Ross Atkins is back next season, right? He built this mess.

I’d be surprised if Atkins is fired. Not because he deserves to stay on, but because I don’t see Shapiro doing it. They won 90+ games in 2021-22, and will win around 85 or so (barring a huge collapse) in a down year. They will probably rationalize 2023 that way and keep the same front office going.

Where I see the pound of flesh coming is in the coaching staff. The hitting coaches have no business being kept around after the offense we saw all season, and hitting coaches are usually considered disposal anyway so that’s an easy way for the front office to say they did something. The one that I’m curious about is Schneider. I think it’s clear he has no business being in the role that he’s in, but he was Atkins’ handpicked guy. Would they allow Atkins to fire his 2nd manager in like 15 months? They have Mattingly on the bench so they could probably win some fans over with that swap. I don’t know what type of manager Donnie was but being worse than Montoyo/Schneider seems like it would take some effort.

Ideally you fire Atkins, promote Click, and then retool for 2024. But I think they give Atkins the chance to retool when all is said and done.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#658 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:38 am

I disagree, I think Atkins is a goner. Someone has to answer for Varsho for Moreno - a decent win now move that has backfired badly - and for assembling a truly horrible coaching staff.

There is also no way Schneider can keep his job after this collapse and the poor performance against good teams. The team has no fight, and that falls on the manager.

If Atkins and Schneider go, then the whole coaching staff is likely to lose their jobs. If Guillermo and Hudgens are back next year, all Blue Jay fans should boycott the team.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,965

Post#659 » by Potential » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 am

This 2023 team needs to have it's own banner somewhere. We've legit never seen a blue jays team like this

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Vladdy:
Read on Twitter
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#660 » by Ranger One » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:54 am

Man, good thing we rushed Chapman and his insane bat back into this lineup. Clearly he was the spark that we needed to get this offense going......

Oh wait.

I honestly would have rather seen Ernie Clement in there, anywhere, over Chapman. But Schneider will tell you we needed Chapmans gold glove out there for defensive purposes since defense has clearly been our problem this series. :roll:
"We are Rangers.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays