ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Manoah going to be the next Ben Simmons?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Is Manoah going to be the next Ben Simmons? 

Post#1 » by Ranger One » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:34 pm

With all the Bizarre news coming out regarding Manoah, his refusal to report. Rumors about him possibly being injured or suffering from "mental distress" etc. Im really getting Ben Simmons vibes from this entire situation. Where Manoah, like Simmons will feel like the entire organization is against him because of how he performed and now he will develop sudden "mental issues" or "physical issues" out of nowhere and sit out entire seasons while still getting paid, again, exactly like Ben Simmons.

I hope it doesnt come to that or go that far, but there are definitely similar vibes (both young up and coming stars who feel they were wronged by the organization, both refusing to report to their assignments, both refusing to work on their craft etc) there given the limited information we have right now.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Re: Is Manoah going to be the next Ben Simmons? 

Post#2 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:53 pm

I think it’s mostly just weight/pitch clock and a loss of confidence resulting from same and they don’t want to embarrass him. Edit: correction for supreme arrogance: I have no idea what other issues he’s facing, but I think it’s at least partially weight/clock and loss of confidence.

That doesn’t make it easier to fix, though. Depends in part on how/why he’s unhealthy to begin with. And a lot of people confronting a need to lose weight go through depression and a sense of futility.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#3 » by Tacoma » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:22 pm

Manoah is on MLB minimum salary and needed a full year of MLB Service Time giving him Super Two status that would allow him to go through salary arbitration for more $$. Missing that cutoff means he'll be at MLB minimum again in 2024 assuming can stay with the Jays. He's losing millions in salary and this us why he didn't want to go down to Buffalo.

On the other hand, Simmons was not being demoted and is already on a SuperMax contract. Thus Manoah is not remotely close to being the next Simmons. He wishes it were so.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,197

Post#4 » by NBJ13 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:36 pm

Not really, Alek doesn't appear to be afraid to get on the mound and throw any of his pitches. He just really sucks all of a sudden and for some reason feels too entitled to accept a demotion.

Ben is afraid to shoot, and maybe factors into him not wanting to play, he's afraid for his image and being meme'd on social media.
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#5 » by Ranger One » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:58 pm

NBJ13 wrote:Not really, Alek doesn't appear to be afraid to get on the mound and throw any of his pitches. He just really sucks all of a sudden and for some reason feels too entitled to accept a demotion.

Ben is afraid to shoot, and maybe factors into him not wanting to play, he's afraid for his image and being meme'd on social media.

But thats the thing, thats where Manoah seems to be headed. Its possible he refuses to report because HE IS afraid of getting on the mound and being memed on after being such a mouthy hot shot the past 2 years.
"We are Rangers.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,961

Post#6 » by Potential » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:43 am

Manoah needs to avoid food from now until next April and only drink water and green tea every day with 2 apples and half a watermelon a day within a 4 hour period. And then just workout and run and sleep the other 20 hours. Problem solved. Welcome back all star skinny Manoah 2024
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:49 am

The next Juan Guzman. Great for a couple of years, then not so much.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Mad Prophet
Veteran
And1: 725

Post#8 » by Mad Prophet » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:41 am

SharoneWright wrote:The next Juan Guzman. Great for a couple of years, then not so much.

Guzman would have had a big problem with the pitch clock, he was one of the slowest pitchers of his time.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#9 » by COY0607 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:18 pm

I think Manoah has way more mental strength than Simmons

Also another key difference is Simmons was an All NBA guy when he asked to be traded. He had a lot of value (even after sitting out a year)

Manoah has already fallen off so much. Doesn’t matter which team he goes to, no one is going to hand him a starter role at this point.
It’s in his interest to work with the Jays, who have arguably the best coaching with a proven track record with pitchers, and an organization who knows him well and saw him succeed
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#10 » by agkagk » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:I think it’s mostly just weight/pitch clock and a loss of confidence resulting from same and they don’t want to embarrass him. Edit: correction for supreme arrogance: I have no idea what other issues he’s facing, but I think it’s at least partially weight/clock and loss of confidence.

That doesn’t make it easier to fix, though. Depends in part on how/why he’s unhealthy to begin with. And a lot of people confronting a need to lose weight go through depression and a sense of futility.

Ya without knowing the personalities and just comparing his season to the gajillion other players weve seen over our life times this sounds about spot on.

The kids a thrower whos still learning to be a pitcher.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#11 » by agkagk » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm

Mad Prophet wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:The next Juan Guzman. Great for a couple of years, then not so much.

Guzman would have had a big problem with the pitch clock, he was one of the slowest pitchers of his time.

Didnt guze have a rep for being a hypochondriac?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,840

Post#12 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:45 pm

I'm in favor of trading Manoah if we can get a package with similar potential. However, I don't trust Atkins to make a good trade. Clearly, something happened between him and the FO last season. Let's see what happens.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#13 » by DelAbbot » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:26 am

Manoah is going to be the next Zion
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#14 » by dagger » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:30 pm

In a free-throw shooting contest, I'd probably bet Manoah over Simmons.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Ranger One
Analyst

Post#15 » by Ranger One » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:41 pm

Thank God we didn't sign this guy to $200 million. Turns out my prediction is more accurate with each passing day. Dude is literally Simmons 2.0 in that it's all a problem with his head rather than a physical / mechanical problem. Permanent case of the yips.
"We are Rangers.
Eisenhorn
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#16 » by Eisenhorn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:17 pm

Ranger One wrote:Thank God we didn't sign this guy to $200 million. Turns out my prediction is more accurate with each passing day. Dude is literally Simmons 2.0 in that it's all a problem with his head rather than a physical / mechanical problem. Permanent case of the yips.

I mean I am not the best with this mlb rules and such (super 2, arbitration, etc..),but I think the only way he was getting anything like $200m was having a repeat on his 22 season. Especially seeing someone like Spencer Strider signed 6/75 this past offseason, being both younger with a longer and stronger track record.

Also to compare to Simmons I guess there is some comparison, however it’s much more common for pitchers to “fall apart” so to speak especially during their early parts of the career. He has only ~300 innings under his belt, compared to 3 all star seasons from Ben, plus a quality ROY season.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,840

Post#17 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter

I don’t care about the numbers,” Manoah said. “I felt really good. Everything was coming out really good. I feel like we were around the zone for the most part. But I think the biggest thing is the body felt good, velo was good, (pitches had) movement. So, just got to continue to feel good and continue to attack.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#18 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:50 am

Give Manoah to the Cardinals for peanuts
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#19 » by Boogie! » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:44 am

The next Ricky Romero…

Can’t believe how much of a turn this team took after looking so promising a few seasons ago… Guerrero looked like a perennial mvp candidate, manoah perennial cy young, top prospect in Moreno… suddenly Guerrero is average, manoah is a bum, we traded our prospect for a prime Kevin kiermaier and we look like we’re headed for another rebuild…
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays