ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Red Sox @ Blue Jays - Sept 15 - Sept 17

Moderator: JaysRule15

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,140

Re: GT: Red Sox @ Blue Jays - Sept 15 - Sept 17 

Post#481 » by duppyy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:20 am

Cyrus wrote:You welcome yall, we even walking off games.

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,140

Post#482 » by duppyy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:23 am

Its sad that a 79 win team pretty much has a playoff spot clinched. Need to get rid of these division winners.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#483 » by JN » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:49 am

Michael Bradley wrote:Being in the 2nd wild card spot 3 days after the Rangers sweep is insane.

If things break right the following scenario may play out on the final day of the season:

Tampa needs a win on the final day to clinch first place in the East
Toronto needs a loss on the final day to fall from the #5 spot (to avoid Tampa/Balt) and finish #6

And somehow our team would show up in that game and probably score 10 runs.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#484 » by greekman » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:47 am

Parataxis wrote:Been thinking about the highs and lows.

I wonder how I'd be feeling now if, instead of getting swept by the Rangers and then Sweeping the Sox, we'd gone 2-2 vs Texas and lost the series against Boston (and Texas had won their series vs the Guardians).

We'd be in exactly the same situation, but would we feel better? Worse?

they are more confident now all of the remaining games are against the al east.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#485 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:56 am

JN wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:Being in the 2nd wild card spot 3 days after the Rangers sweep is insane.

If things break right the following scenario may play out on the final day of the season:

Tampa needs a win on the final day to clinch first place in the East
Toronto needs a loss on the final day to fall from the #5 spot (to avoid Tampa/Balt) and finish #6

And somehow our team would show up in that game and probably score 10 runs.

If things really break right, I'd hope that Tampa would be well behind Baltimore by the final series of the year such that those games wouldn't matter whatsoever for them.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#486 » by Boogie! » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:25 am

mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 186

Post#487 » by PowerPlant1 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:34 pm

I wonder how I'd be feeling now if, instead of getting swept by the Rangers and then Sweeping the Sox, we'd gone 2-2 vs Texas and lost the series against Boston (and Texas had won their series vs the Guardians).

Likely better but it depends on the reasons for the losses. Likely better because we more negatively affected a team we may face in the playoffs. And especially better if we scored more runs yet still lost some of the Texas games. Then we could have blamed those losses more on Schneider's ineptitude instead of the whole team's ineptitude.
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 186

Post#488 » by PowerPlant1 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:41 pm

As for the most recent 3-4 stretch and the series before that, it is clear that the Jays have a very good pitching staff without a dominant ace (and yes, I include Gausman in that category). The pitching can shut down bad to moderately good offenses yet still get beat by very good offense.

The team's offense needs way too much time to score the occasional run. If the pitching can't hold the opposition, the Jays have no answer. Hence, the texas series although that was so lopsided it was too unbelievable. Better hope the Jays don't have to face them.

If the Yankees and Tampa are on hot streaks offensively, it is going to be a problem.

Hopefully Chapman, Vlad and to a lesser extent Varsho (because I have no confidence in stable results from him) have turned it around offensively.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,456

Post#489 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:46 pm

Crazy what's happened in a weekend

if only we could have split that texas series ffs

big week with yankees and tampa
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#490 » by Parataxis » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Crazy what's happened in a weekend

The Road Yankees/Rays series are going to be a challenge - Yankees desperately fighting for their playoff lives and the Rays trying to gain on Baltimore.

Hopefully by the home series, both will be in 'planning for the future' mode (one more long term than the other)
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,475

Post#491 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:55 pm

greekman wrote:

they are more confident now all of the remaining games are against the al east.

We're never losing again.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#492 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:56 pm

Parataxis wrote:

The Road Yankees/Rays series are going to be a challenge - Yankees desperately fighting for their playoff lives and the Rays trying to gain on Baltimore.

Hopefully by the home series, both will be in 'planning for the future' mode (one more long term than the other)

I'm sure the Yankees understand that it's over, but they'll still play hard because they have pride.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#493 » by Parataxis » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:15 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

I'm sure the Yankees understand that it's over, but they'll still play hard because they have pride.

The players will absolutely still play hard; never any doubt there.

But once you start looking towards next year, management priorities change. You want to get a better look at your up-and-comers rather than always leaning on your vets. You can have players throw to a pitchcount, rather than always pulling for the absolute best matchups, etc...

It's still real baseball, and we still need to play it out like it's important (because it is) but there won't be the urgency that there will be for us.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,841

Post#494 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:18 pm

The rollercoaster continues with this team. I've never seen a season like this before.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#495 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:27 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:The rollercoaster continues with this team. I've never seen a season like this before.

haha me either

man we just need to get in there , my expectations are low even if we do get in but still who doesnt love october baseball
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#496 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:45 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:The rollercoaster continues with this team. I've never seen a season like this before.

haha me either

man we just need to get in there , my expectations are low even if we do get in but still who doesnt love october baseball

I don't have much expectations either, but it's also baseball, and teams that do well in October are the ones with great pitching, and that is what we have. If George Springer can activate playoff mode, and Davis Schneider can activate Babe mode again, who knows how far we can go. 2015 Blue Jays was by far the best team and they got beat by that BS loop single Royals team.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#497 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:57 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

haha me either

I don't have much expectations either, but it's also baseball, and teams that do well in October are the ones with great pitching, and that is what we have. If George Springer can activate playoff mode, and Davis Schneider can activate Babe mode again, who knows how far we can go. 2015 Blue Jays was by far the best team and they got beat by that BS loop single Royals team.

Exactly. If we make it, my expectations are WS. Plenty of trash teams have made deep runs/won it all over the years because baseball playoffs are a crapshoot.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#498 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

haha me either

Playoff baseball is all about grinding runs, timely hitting along with solid pitching. We don't have the former. But you obviously get in there and hope to get hot and hopefully the boys come together for a long run
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#499 » by Boogie! » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:10 am

Who's watching the out of town games tonight.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#500 » by greekman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:02 am

red sox are definitely not going to make it easy for rangers after the blue jays sweep.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays