ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays 23/24 Offseason Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Blue Jays 23/24 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Parataxis » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:59 pm

Just in. QO is going to be north of $20million this go-around.

Who do we think gets it? Chappy for sure. Probably not KK, Belt, or Merrifield. Do we offer one to Ryu?

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/56768/Qualifying-Offer-Expected-To-Be-Around-$205M
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Re: 23/24 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:12 pm

Yes to Chapman (and pray he doesn't take it). No to anyone else.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#3 » by Parataxis » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#4 » by polo007 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 12:55 am

After basically becoming the Maple Leafs, nothing is off the table for Blue Jays - Sportsnet.ca

Under the guidance of Shapiro, the Blue Jays have become a robust revenue machine. Shapiro has masterfully managed the pressures that come with running a team owned by a publicly traded corporation. He has overseen a $300-million to $400-million refurbishing of the seventh-oldest facility in baseball while convincing ownership to foot a payroll that is the ninth-highest in the majors — and managed to do so after a pair of home seasons lost due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I know, I know — there are people who will roll their eyes and say they’d gladly trade “social areas” and hot-dog teeter-totters and cornhole games for a cleanup hitter, but the two aren’t the same. When it comes to owning and running an entertainment venue, Shapiro and his folks have breathed new life into the place.

On the field, the Blue Jays still have two more years of Bo and Vladdy, and that superb rotation is locked down for 2024 and beyond. Ricky Tiedemann and Brandon Barriera should factor in at some point in the next two years. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Kevin Kiermaier, Belt, Chapman and Whit Merrifield – whose $19-million option can’t be picked up – ate up $57 million in salary in 2023. That’s 20 per cent of the payroll, and none of them will be back.

So, there is wiggle room, even though this isn’t a spectacular free-agent market beyond Shohei Ohtani — and, yes, the Blue Jays are prepared to have a discussion about Ohtani even though conventional wisdom says he’ll stay on the West Coast. There is a currency in having payroll flexibility, and it will be vital if the the Blue Jays choose to go the trade route this off-season, because their relative lack of high-impact prospects could mean they have to swallow someone else’s unsatisfactory contract in a deal to bring in, say, that impactful middle-of-the-order bat.

There is a lot of heavy lifting that needs to be done here. Is Jordan Romano the closer and, if so, what really explained that change in order with Jordan Hicks late in the season and whose idea was it? Who’s at third base? Who’s the cleanup hitter?

Wither Alek Manoah? And it’s about time to really sit down and see where the organization is with Vladimir Guerrero Jr., because absent a long-term contract, we’re 12 months away from talking about whether you let him walk as a free agent or make a trade. That, and figuring out what to do with the dying embers of Bo Bichette’s contract.

Yep. That’s how fast this stuff has happened.

Shapiro and Atkins have been here together since 2016. They’re on their third manager, haven’t won a playoff series and have basically become the Toronto Maple Leafs: Big budget but shocking deficiencies in key on-field areas. Oodles of financial and intellectual heft. Possessed of generational players, and an engaged but increasingly frustrated — and, maybe worse, confused — fanbase that is looking for someone to blame before checking out how much tickets will cost in 2024.

Shapiro and Atkins are now in consumer-confidence territory with one of Canada’s few true national sports brands. Uncomfortable place, that.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#5 » by polo007 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 2:33 am

Blue Jays' Biggest Questions with Ben Nicholson-Smith | JD Bunkis Podcast

October 6, 2023

JD Bunkis is joined by Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith to attribute the Blue Jays' shortcomings and discuss Toronto's free agency turnover, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., routes to improve the roster, impact of the hitting coach, and other potential changes.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#6 » by bluerap23 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 11:45 am

Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,225

Post#7 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 3:21 pm

Lmao my God I've never seen a manager get thrown under the bus so bad in my life. The audacity to say it was John's call when they've literally done the same strategy before. Get Atkins outta here man I'm sick of this guy.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#8 » by Parataxis » Sat Oct 7, 2023 3:44 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:Lmao my God I've never seen a manager get thrown under the bus so bad in my life. The audacity to say it was John's call when they've literally done the same strategy before. Get Atkins outta here man I'm sick of this guy.

He spent so much time explaining that it was Schneider and only Schneider who made that decision, and then said that yup, he's definitely back next year.

No accountability at any level.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#9 » by Raptors Realtor » Sat Oct 7, 2023 8:15 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:Lmao my God I've never seen a manager get thrown under the bus so bad in my life. The audacity to say it was John's call when they've literally done the same strategy before. Get Atkins outta here man I'm sick of this guy.

He spent so much time explaining that it was Schneider and only Schneider who made that decision, and then said that yup, he's definitely back next year.

Did he say that he Atkins would be back next year, or that Schneider would be back, or both?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Oct 7, 2023 8:20 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

Did he say that he Atkins would be back next year, or that Schneider would be back, or both?

Atkins was speaking and said Schneider would be back.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#11 » by JN » Sat Oct 7, 2023 8:37 pm

Based on that presser I wouldn't consider Schneider fully safe. This organization seemingly has no shame at times and would come up with something if it decides to change course.

That being said it seems like he is coming back, unless Atkins is gone. And I'm not counting on Atkins being dismissed despite this really bad week in so many ways.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#12 » by JN » Sat Oct 7, 2023 8:40 pm

Daulton Varsho will be an interesting arbitration case.

How much will his extreme defensive value analytics wise impact his arbitration value. Could be some interesting discussions that don't have too much precedent to work with.
Davey0
Pro Prospect
And1: 692

Post#13 » by Davey0 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 1:08 am

Parataxis wrote:

Shapiro has to do something. It looks bad as the President, to allow your GM to throw the Manager of the Jays under the bus. It sets the tone of how everyone looks at the Blue Jays moving forward, professionally.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,402

Post#14 » by Ranger One » Sun Oct 8, 2023 4:58 pm

Better not see and more Mary Brown's chicken commercials with Manoah next season and any more Snack commercials with Vlad. These guys better show up to camp in the best shape of their lives or heads should roll.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#15 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Oct 8, 2023 6:51 pm

Davey0 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

Shapiro has to do something. It looks bad as the President, to allow your GM to throw the Manager of the Jays under the bus. It sets the tone of how everyone looks at the Blue Jays moving forward, professionally.

Is Shapiro due to speak next week? Is there any hope Atkins gets fired the way he should be? Or is that wishful thinking?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#16 » by Raider917 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:38 pm

was it atkins decision to bring schneider back next year? if it was and he is to get fired, could that mean that schneider will to?
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,402

Post#17 » by Ranger One » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:40 am

Raider917 wrote:was it atkins decision to bring schneider back next year? if it was and he is to get fired, could that mean that schneider will to?

I have zero confidence in anyone in that FO doing the right or sensible thing. At this rate, im more expecting Atkins to get a promotion than be fired.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#18 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 am

With The Reds probably declining Vottos final year what's the likelihood that he comes to Toronto I a 1 year deal that's around what Belt got? I know the average has taken a major cliff dive and he hasn't been the healthiest but he still has some pop in the bat and I think might be motivated to play for Toronto.

Seen a stupid article that said Toronto should take Anthony Redon with Trout for Manoah, Ricky Tiedemann one of Vladdy or Bichette and Davis Schneider plus a mid tier prospect. Trout is Trout but Rendon is awful especially his deal. Plus does Trout even want to go to Toronto?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#19 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:24 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:With The Reds probably declining Vottos final year what's the likelihood that he comes to Toronto I a 1 year deal that's around what Belt got? I know the average has taken a major cliff dive and he hasn't been the healthiest but he still has some pop in the bat and I think might be motivated to play for Toronto.

Seen a stupid article that said Toronto should take Anthony Redon with Trout for Manoah, Ricky Tiedemann one of Vladdy or Bichette and Davis Schneider plus a mid tier prospect. Trout is Trout but Rendon is awful especially his deal. Plus does Trout even want to go to Toronto?

The Jays aren't giving a guy who hasn't even been an average hitter since 2021 what Brandon Belt got (1 year/10M). He's hit .204 over the last two seasons. Votto might get a 1 year deal or minor league deal from somebody to be a bench/pinch hitter type but I can't imagine it will be the Jays given that Vlad is gonna take up a ton of 1B/DH ABs.

I'd also take that Trout deal in a second (especially if it was Vlad going instead of Bichette). Trout is worth more than all of those guys put together.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#20 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:43 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:With The Reds probably declining Vottos final year what's the likelihood that he comes to Toronto I a 1 year deal that's around what Belt got? I know the average has taken a major cliff dive and he hasn't been the healthiest but he still has some pop in the bat and I think might be motivated to play for Toronto.

The Jays aren't giving a guy who hasn't even been an average hitter since 2021 what Brandon Belt got (1 year/10M). He's hit .204 over the last two seasons. Votto might get a 1 year deal or minor league deal from somebody to be a bench/pinch hitter type but I can't imagine it will be the Jays given that Vlad is gonna take up a ton of 1B/DH ABs.

I'd also take that Trout deal in a second (especially if it was Vlad going instead of Bichette). Trout is worth more than all of those guys put together.
I get Trout is but Rendon drags his value back your looking at $38 million a year over the next 3 years for a 52, 58,47 and 43 games over the last 4 years also with his high being 9 HR. Trout isn't waiving his no trade clause to come here anyways. The article I seen said Philly as a dark horse because of his love of the Eagles and he's a Jersey kid. I don't see what Philly could realistically give up
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry

Return to Toronto Blue Jays