ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays 23/24 Offseason Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Re: Blue Jays 23/24 Offseason Thread 

Post#1061 » by ItsDanger » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:52 pm

Baltimore and TB are poor comparisons for team salaries. Have to compare similar spending teams at similar stages. TB is always low and sells off players. Baltimore tanked and is now on the rise with salary increases yet to occur.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#1062 » by Parataxis » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:05 pm

its-happening.gif
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Post#1063 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:07 pm

Parataxis wrote:its-happening.gif
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Can only assume they're just doing this guy a favour and he'll be in AAA because he's not a better player than Vlad/Turner/Vogelbach at this point and those guys will be taking all the 1B/DH ABs.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,225

Post#1064 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:33 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Can only assume they're just doing this guy a favour and he'll be in AAA because he's not a better player than Vlad/Turner/Vogelbach at this point and those guys will be taking all the 1B/DH ABs.

If Vogelbach was having a bad spring I would've understood it more but he's swung a good bat. I guess its no harm but this is more a favor to Votto I doubt he has anything left in the tank.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#1065 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:25 am

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If Vogelbach was having a bad spring I would've understood it more but he's swung a good bat. I guess its no harm but this is more a favor to Votto I doubt he has anything left in the tank.

Reds reporter talked to him and he’s said he’s beginning in AAA, so no harm there, Vogelbach has the spot.

It probably will just end like the time we signed Vlad Sr.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,413

Post#1066 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:38 pm

You've got to appreciate Votto still having hunger to play ball. He's 40 and has over a quarter billion USD in career earnings.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#1067 » by Cyrus » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:40 pm

My god, we were still trying to resign Chapman if this is true:

The Blue Jays offered Matt Chapman a two-year contract before he signed with the Giants, according to Jon Heyman of the New York Post. Given how long Chapman lingered on the market, it isn’t surprising that the Jays made a late bid to gauge his interest in a return to Toronto, even if Chapman’s “first choice” as per Heyman was reuniting with his old manager Bob Melvin in San Francisco. It can probably be assumed that the Blue Jays’ offer contained a player opt-out after the 2024 season , given how Chapman’s eventual three-year deal with the Giants has opt-outs after each of the first two years, plus both sides have a mutual option for the 2027 season. Re-installing Chapman at third base would’ve solidified the Jays’ infield situation, even if it would’ve made for a crowded mix of players fighting for regular work at second base and in backup roles. Had Chapman re-signed, Justin Turner would’ve been limited to first base and DH at-bats, and Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Davis Schneider, and Santiago Espinal all would’ve been vying to be the right-handed hitting side of a second base platoon with Cavan Biggio.

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#1068 » by polo007 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 am

Cyrus wrote:My god, we were still trying to resign Chapman if this is true:

The Blue Jays offered Matt Chapman a two-year contract before he signed with the Giants, according to Jon Heyman of the New York Post. Given how long Chapman lingered on the market, it isn’t surprising that the Jays made a late bid to gauge his interest in a return to Toronto, even if Chapman’s “first choice” as per Heyman was reuniting with his old manager Bob Melvin in San Francisco. It can probably be assumed that the Blue Jays’ offer contained a player opt-out after the 2024 season , given how Chapman’s eventual three-year deal with the Giants has opt-outs after each of the first two years, plus both sides have a mutual option for the 2027 season. Re-installing Chapman at third base would’ve solidified the Jays’ infield situation, even if it would’ve made for a crowded mix of players fighting for regular work at second base and in backup roles. Had Chapman re-signed, Justin Turner would’ve been limited to first base and DH at-bats, and Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Davis Schneider, and Santiago Espinal all would’ve been vying to be the right-handed hitting side of a second base platoon with Cavan Biggio.

Can't have wanted him that badly considering the contract he ended up signing with San Francisco. Would have been easy to beat that.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#1070 » by Parataxis » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:44 am

I absolutely was not expecting Votto to be okay, much less expecting, to start in Buffalo riding busses.

Gotta respect a man who just wants to play the game. (And I'm liking the possibility of him playing for the Leafs at Christie Pits in a couple of years, if so)

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#1071 » by Cyrus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:06 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Cyrus wrote:My god, we were still trying to resign Chapman if this is true:

Can't have wanted him that badly considering the contract he ended up signing with San Francisco. Would have been easy to beat that.

They probably gave him the same offer, with one less option year, or flexibility for Chapman. But more than 1 year and having all the power to player is 2 years too many.
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#1072 » by Parataxis » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:35 pm

Francis is having himself a GAME today. 5 innings (so far) 57 pitches, three hits, no walks.

He's making a great case for himself to start the season as the #5 pitcher, if either Gaus or Manoah aren't ready.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#1073 » by DelAbbot » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:13 am

Cease now gone, G Cole being down. We need to sign Bauer before the Yankees do
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#1074 » by dagger » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:50 pm

Danny Jansen has suffered his annual hand injury (third of his MLB career), just a small bone fracture, no surgery, but he's out for about two weeks, so unlikely to be in the opening day lineup.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Parataxis
General Manager

Post#1075 » by Parataxis » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:24 pm

dagger wrote:Danny Jansen has suffered his annual hand injury (third of his MLB career), just a small bone fracture, no surgery, but he's out for about two weeks, so unlikely to be in the opening day lineup.

Has it only been three?

I swear, whoever convinced him to install a baseball magnet in his hands...

At least Serven seems to be raking lately.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,402

Post#1076 » by Ranger One » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:59 pm

Is it time to have a chat about Danny Jansen? This guy is legit made of glass. And despite that known fact, not one coach, fellow player or anyone with two brain cells to rub together has advised him to wear hand protection? I guess missing half the season every single year is worth it to him and the blue jays so he can "feel comfortable" at the plate. I dunno man. This is getting old.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#1077 » by bluerap23 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:15 pm

Ranger One wrote:Is it time to have a chat about Danny Jansen? This guy is legit made of glass. And despite that known fact, not one coach, fellow player or anyone with two brain cells to rub together has advised him to wear hand protection? I guess missing half the season every single year is worth it to him and the blue jays so he can "feel comfortable" at the plate. I dunno man. This is getting old.

I actually noticed he was wearing hand protection earlier in the spring. I'm not sure if he stopped using it (possible he couldn't hit well with it) or if this happened in spite of it.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#1078 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:14 pm

Jansen has averaged under 70 games/year for his career; last year’s 86 was actually his 2nd highest total ever. One of the (many) reasons I wanted to trade him and not Moreno after his most productive (albeit shortened) season.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,838

Post#1079 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:56 pm

Joey Votto homers in first Spring Training at-bat, albeit a controversial one.

Read on Twitter
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,838

Post#1080 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:38 pm

The bats have looked great so far in spring training. Let's hope this carries on into the start of the season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays