ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Blue Jays @ Rays - Sept 22 - Sept 24

Moderator: JaysRule15

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Re: GT: Blue Jays @ Rays - Sept 22 - Sept 24 

Post#721 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:50 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:Most of y'all are a complete misery. Jesus.

We had to watch the 2023 Jays for a full 162 game season, so yes, absolutely.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#722 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:22 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Yeah man, watching a good team. What a misery!
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#723 » by Boogie! » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:38 pm

To be honest most of the misery is due to expectations. Most guys on the t3am are having down years respective to what their expected production was. Look at Atlantas lineup for example. Their 4th best hitter is having a better year than our expected superstar. Manoah completely imploded. Our offense regularly has a difficult time scoring runs. We're winning games, but it hasn't been fin to watch. Reminds me of the raptors. Even when they win its just grind it out ugly offense.

Pitching has been a pleasant surprise though. But objectively yeah the jays are a decent team, just really hard to watch sometimes. But again the beauty of baseball is all you need is guys to get hot at the right time. You can have a shktty year, sneak into the postseason and all of a sudden dudes are cranking Homer's, etc and next thing you know you're on the semis. So who knows.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#724 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:01 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Good team? I can tell when somebody didn’t watch too many of this team’s games this year.

Until the last week, this season was easily the most aggravating watch in decades as far as any Toronto pro sports team goes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#725 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:06 am

Boogie! wrote:To be honest most of the misery is due to expectations. Most guys on the t3am are having down years respective to what their expected production was. Look at Atlantas lineup for example. Their 4th best hitter is having a better year than our expected superstar. Manoah completely imploded. Our offense regularly has a difficult time scoring runs. We're winning games, but it hasn't been fin to watch. Reminds me of the raptors. Even when they win its just grind it out ugly offense.

Pitching has been a pleasant surprise though. But objectively yeah the jays are a decent team, just really hard to watch sometimes. But again the beauty of baseball is all you need is guys to get hot at the right time. You can have a shktty year, sneak into the postseason and all of a sudden dudes are cranking Homer's, etc and next thing you know you're on the semis. So who knows.

True but they also got absolutely annihilated in a 4 game series with their season on the line a week and a half ago. That could have been the team’s death knell (and would have in any normal season) if the Mariners and Astros didn’t decide to absolutely collapse right after that.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,407

Post#726 » by Ranger One » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:35 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Oh look, another bandwagon moron who just watched his first game of the season because the Jays are in the news, coming over here to post his worthless opinions lmao. Go back to the Raps board where you belong.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#727 » by Michael Bradley » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:36 am

A lot of this season has been frustrating to watch due to a combination of expectations and severe underachievement by many of the position players. The entertainment value just hasn't been there for the 2023 team most nights.

With that said, we have seen 3 real playoff appearances in 30 years (4 if you want to count 2020). If this team makes the playoffs despite all the underachievement, then I'll take it. Not the funnest ride getting there, but just find a way to get there.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#728 » by Boogie! » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:38 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:To be honest most of the misery is due to expectations. Most guys on the t3am are having down years respective to what their expected production was. Look at Atlantas lineup for example. Their 4th best hitter is having a better year than our expected superstar. Manoah completely imploded. Our offense regularly has a difficult time scoring runs. We're winning games, but it hasn't been fin to watch. Reminds me of the raptors. Even when they win its just grind it out ugly offense.

True but they also got absolutely annihilated in a 4 game series with their season on the line a week and a half ago. That could have been the team’s death knell (and would have in any normal season) if the Mariners and Astros didn’t decide to absolutely collapse right after that.

But that's exactly it. We can talk about getting swept by Texas, but we also almost swept Tampa in Tampa, and right after Texas swept us they got swept by a lesser team. And Houston just got swept by the worst team in the league. Thats why baseball is so unpredictable. You can't really put too much stock in certain losses against certain teams. It's quite possible if we faced Texas again in the postseason we destroy them. Who knows.

Before the bautista bat flip in 2015 we almost lost to the rangers who on paper were meh. Our lineup was stacked full of stars and if it wasn't for a bunch of errors and then bautista, we probably Lose that series. And again who the **** was even on that Texas team?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#729 » by COY0607 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:49 am

Mehar wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Hicks real closer , not hibbie gibbies romano

Outside of his first rough appearance, Hicks has been elite for nearly 2 months. Wish the Jays could find a way to keep him long-term.

one way of finding the money for Hicks is to trade Romano in a package for a slugger. Basically using Romano’s $$ on Hicks
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#730 » by COY0607 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:51 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

No one gets frustrated watching bad teams. Good teams who should’ve been great - that’s what frustrates fans
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#731 » by spykelee » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:27 am

I agree with Rapcity. I have watched this entire season, like every season and sure it's been frustrating. Every baseball season is excriciantly long and has many ebbs and flows both individually and as a team. It's been crazy annoying watching a talented team floundering with RISP all year long. But reading this forum it's just constantly negative. Schneider all the time and pretty much everyone else maybe sans Jano, Bichette, Gausman and Mayza have had long stretches of constant whining and negativity.

It's been a frustrating year where we should be better then we are, definitely. But we're likely to make the playoffs and I'm jacked AF for it! Team seems like it's starting to come together and who knows, maybe we make some noise. It's far far far from the worst seasons we've seen like some make it out to be. This forum is absolutely a buzz kill, even after massive wins. No point being excited and posting here. I'm going on Tuesday tho! Bring on the playoffs, Let's go Gaus!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#732 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:45 am

spykelee wrote:I agree with Rapcity. I have watched this entire season, like every season and sure it's been frustrating. Every baseball season is excriciantly long and has many ebbs and flows both individually and as a team. It's been crazy annoying watching a talented team floundering with RISP all year long. But reading this forum it's just constantly negative. Schneider all the time and pretty much everyone else maybe sans Jano, Bichette, Gausman and Mayza have had long stretches of constant whining and negativity.

It's been a frustrating year where we should be better then we are, definitely. But we're likely to make the playoffs and I'm jacked AF for it! Team seems like it's starting to come together and who knows, maybe we make some noise. It's far far far from the worst seasons we've seen like some make it out to be. This forum is absolutely a buzz kill, even after massive wins. No point being excited and posting here. I'm going on Tuesday tho! Bring on the playoffs, Let's go Gaus!

Stop. It was a complete and total disaster of a season until literally 10 days ago. The only thing that's really changed since then is they won a few series against teams playing out the string and/or an extremely injured Rays team and, most importantly, the Astros/Mariners completely collapsed out of nowhere.

Sure, anything could happen if/when they make the playoffs, but pretending like this season was somehow enjoyable to watch or comparable to even any of their previous teams in the Vlad/Bo era is looking at it through rose-coloured glasses.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#733 » by spykelee » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
spykelee wrote:I agree with Rapcity. I have watched this entire season, like every season and sure it's been frustrating. Every baseball season is excriciantly long and has many ebbs and flows both individually and as a team. It's been crazy annoying watching a talented team floundering with RISP all year long. But reading this forum it's just constantly negative. Schneider all the time and pretty much everyone else maybe sans Jano, Bichette, Gausman and Mayza have had long stretches of constant whining and negativity.

Stop. It was a complete and total disaster of a season until literally 10 days ago. The only thing that's really changed since then is they won a few series against teams playing out the string and/or an extremely injured Rays team and the Astros/Mariners completely collapsed out of nowhere.

Sure, anything could happen if/when they make the playoffs, but pretending like this season was somehow enjoyable to watch or comparable to even any of their previous teams in this Vlad/Bo era is looking at it through rose-coloured glasses.

Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#734 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:49 am

spykelee wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Stop. It was a complete and total disaster of a season until literally 10 days ago. The only thing that's really changed since then is they won a few series against teams playing out the string and/or an extremely injured Rays team and the Astros/Mariners completely collapsed out of nowhere.

Sure, anything could happen if/when they make the playoffs, but pretending like this season was somehow enjoyable to watch or comparable to even any of their previous teams in this Vlad/Bo era is looking at it through rose-coloured glasses.

Lieutenant Dan was the only sensible character in that entire movie.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#735 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:59 am

I found this season to be incredibly infuriating. Awful decision making and bats disappearing for months out of nowhere.

Great pitching and defense but I am apparently a fan that just wants to see some dingers.

I can’t wait to watch them win the World Series this year.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#736 » by hyper316 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:04 am

I can take players slumping, but when manager makes terrible calls, i just lose it.

End of the day, MLB players are top athletes playing an incredibly hard game. Managers need to make analytical decisions, no athletic ability required. I think this is why it gets to fans because it is something a regular fan can compared to do
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#737 » by Mehar » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:31 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Stop. It was a complete and total disaster of a season until literally 10 days ago. The only thing that's really changed since then is they won a few series against teams playing out the string and/or an extremely injured Rays team and, most importantly, the Astros/Mariners completely collapsed out of nowhere.

Sure, anything could happen if/when they make the playoffs, but pretending like this season was somehow enjoyable to watch or comparable to even any of their previous teams in the Vlad/Bo era is looking at it through rose-coloured glasses.

The Jays are in the position that they are in right now because of the Balanced Schedule in 2023, and the Yankees being crippled with injuries all year. Yankees lost Judge for 7 weeks, along with key starters and relievers for key stretches this year. The Jays can also thank the AL West teams like Seattle, Houston, and Texas being mediocre for the last 6 weeks. Of course it is nice that the Jays will possibly be in the playoffs (hopefully they do not lay an egg in this homestand), but to call this season an enjoyable one that met expectations is an understatement. Of course Blue Jays Apologists like Mike Shillner would say it was a great year after they get eliminated in the post-season.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#738 » by spykelee » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:12 am

Mehar wrote:The Jays are in the position that they are in right now because of the Balanced Schedule in 2023, and the Yankees being crippled with injuries all year. Yankees lost Judge for 7 weeks, along with key starters and relievers for key stretches this year. The Jays can also thank the AL West teams like Seattle, Houston, and Texas being mediocre for the last 6 weeks. Of course it is nice that the Jays will possibly be in the playoffs (hopefully they do not lay an egg in this homestand), but to call this season an enjoyable one that met expectations is an understatement. Of course Blue Jays Apologists like Mike Shillner would say it was a great year after they get eliminated in the post-season.

That's baseball every year. Very few teams go through a year unscathed on the injury front or absent a prolonged slump personally or team wide. Tampa Bay had a month they were 22-6 and a month they were 8-16 and yet here they are at 92 wins. Sure you can say Texas or Houston or Seattle crapped the bed down the stretch, or that the Yankees lost Judge, but all teams go through slumps and injuries. Every single year you can look at any team and make excuses for why they over or underachieved. Performance varies year to year in baseball maybe more then every other major pro sport. End of the day, were likely to make the playoffs and that's no easy feat.

I'm not gonna sit here and say this has been a super enjoyable way to win. Like every other team maybe other than Baltimore and Atlanta, we should be better... and sure, I'd love tons of hits and homeruns, hit and runs, solid baserunning and fundamental execution and that hasn't been there for large portions this year. That said, we've been pretty healthy and had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball which we haven't seen around these here parts maybe ever along with a solid defense. At the end of the day, the only number that matters is wins. I'm enjoying these big games, dialed into every pitch, and coming up with big wins even if its via a bases loaded walk. Just win baby! Can't wait for the playoffs.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#739 » by SharoneWright » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:20 am

Watching the 2023 Jays was the fan equivalent of getting a root canal.

The biggest question going into the season was centre field and if Keirmaier would be any good or if he would even be able to play 80 games. The fact that KK exceeded all expectations and yet the Jays still sputtered like they had a gummed up carbonator was never supposed to be in the cards. And yet....

Manoah exacerbated things. So did Vlad. So did Chapman. So did Kirk/Varsho/and Springer to varying degrees. And Schneider is on another level of disappointment. Watching his never-ending bizarre lineup choices and in game decisions, it's clear he's only the manager because he knew the kids coming up through the system. Instead of squeezing out the best of his players he's just aimlessly riding their coattails. Never once did it seem like any player got any kind of feedback, instruction, discipline, or fire injected into them by the coaching. Favourite moment of the year had to be when Chapman ripped Schneids a new one in the dugout after the Ohtani dinger.

Happy though for Bassitt, Kiku, and Berrios,,, all of whom probably outperformed. Biggio also boosted his contract for next year.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#740 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:38 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Issue isn’t the talent that makes this team frustrating to watch. It’s the stupid management with the constant lineup changes, overplaying Cavan Biggio, benching Davis Schneider when he went Babe Ruth on the Sox, the constant stupid base running mistakes, Vlad hitting into DPs every game, Chapman being the most unclutch player in history, and the lack of hustle in some of the players (ie. Vlad).

The talent is there. Pitching is elite, outfield defense is elite, Bo is great, and our pick ups (Belt, KK, Hicks, Genesis, Bassitt) have exceeded expectations. It’s the constant stupid mistakes and lack of hustle that is infuriating. Given the talent on this team, we shouldn’t even be in a race for WC right now

Return to Toronto Blue Jays