WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,458

Re: GT: Blue Jays @ Rays - Sept 22 - Sept 24 

Post#661 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:06 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Mehar wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Hicks real closer , not hibbie gibbies romano

Outside of his first rough appearance, Hicks has been elite for nearly 2 months. Wish the Jays could find a way to keep him long-term.

I keep saying hicks has legit closer stuff. His only flaw was his control, but since he's been a jay his control has been pretty good. To Me he's their future closer. I just don't trust romano. All outsthis inning weak ground balls. All his pitches around the zone. We need to keep him and make him our long term closer.

body language too.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,346

Post#662 » by TOStateofMind » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:06 pm

Big series W. Damn near swept em.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Post#663 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Romano is better.

make a poll

hicks over romano every day

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/closers

Make a poll? Romano is one of the best closers in baseball and has been for 3 seasons now. The guy has a 90 SV% literally this season lol
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#664 » by jaymeister15 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Can’t complain about 2 of 3 in Tampa bay. Great series and road trip, did exactly what they needed to.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#665 » by Boogie! » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm

JN wrote:I still prefer Romano closing, but happier when both are doing well whatever their roles.

Romano had a lot of things going against him last night although not fully excusing him either.
Hicks comes in during a clean inning and more rested.

Idk what people see with romano honestly. His stuff is so meh. Reminds me of when Casey Janssen was their closer. Obviously romano is better, but I was always like how the **** is this guy a closer with a low 90s fastball. He had like 14 straight eaves at one point but nothing he did really blew me away. It was more luck than anything else.

Romano rarely looks dominant and unhittable. And again it's directly related to his flat fastball, general wildness and a tendency to hang sliders.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#666 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Mehar wrote:

Outside of his first rough appearance, Hicks has been elite for nearly 2 months. Wish the Jays could find a way to keep him long-term.

I keep saying hicks has legit closer stuff. His only flaw was his control, but since he's been a jay his control has been pretty good. To Me he's their future closer. I just don't trust romano. All outsthis inning weak ground balls. All his pitches around the zone. We need to keep him and make him our long term closer.

Their future closer? Hicks is gone to free agency in a week and they're not bringing him back with as much relief depth as they have.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#667 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 pm

Boogie! wrote:
JN wrote:I still prefer Romano closing, but happier when both are doing well whatever their roles.

Romano had a lot of things going against him last night although not fully excusing him either.

Idk what people see with romano honestly. His stuff is so meh. Reminds me of when Casey Janssen was their closer. Obviously romano is better, but I was always like how the **** is this guy a closer. He had like 14 straight eaves at one point but nothing he did really blew me away. It was more luck than anything else.

Romano rarely looks dominant and unhittable. And again it's directly related to his flat fastball, general wildness and a tendency to hang sliders.

How does Romano manage to save games at the very high rate he does while being so bad?
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#668 » by s e n s i » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 pm

the romano slander is getting nauseating lmao wtf are people on about here?
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#669 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:09 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Romano is better.

make a poll

Make a poll? Romano is one of the best closers in baseball and has been for 3 seasons now. The guy has a 90 SV% literally this season lol

Hicks has done better last 2 months. I like the higher velocity too.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#670 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:11 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
make a poll

Until yesterday (when Romano had a broken fingernail that prevented him from commanding a slider) that wasn't even true either.

Romano has been great.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#671 » by Boogie! » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:11 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Mehar wrote:Outside of his first rough appearance, Hicks has been elite for nearly 2 months. Wish the Jays could find a way to keep him long-term.

Their future closer? Hicks is gone to free agency in a week and they're not bringing him back with as much relief depth as they have.

Hicks has the potential to be their best bullpen arm. I'd argue he already Is. No idea why you're so obsessed with their depth. Yimi, richards, mayza, Swanson, green? You like them over Hicks. Thats honestly nuts. Also, relief pitching is so unpredictagble, year to year, bass and cimber were great last year, this year total ass. Hicks' stuff will always be elite. He's finally putting it together with his control.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,226

Post#672 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:11 pm

Can't ask for much more than 4-2 in this road trip. I imagine the Rays will be resting guys the last series so we're all but guaranteed.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#673 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:12 pm

s e n s i wrote:the romano slander is getting nauseating lmao wtf are people on about here?

He's been a top 10 RP in baseball since 2020. It's getting weird.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#674 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:12 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/closers

Until yesterday (when Romano had a broken fingernail that prevented him from commanding a slider) that wasn't even true either.

Romano has been great.

Hicks a touch better though.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#675 » by Mehar » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:13 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Romano is better.

make a poll

Romano has been solid this year, but if he was not from Markham- his hype would not be what it is, especially with his over the top entrance. It partly comes from him being raised in the Toronto area, and being Canadian. He is an above average reliever, but the guy has shown difficulty at times getting clean 1-2-3 innings with his tendency for putting runners on, walking batters, and giving up solid contact hits. I would take Hicks as my Closer over Romano if I had to choose between the two.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#676 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

Hicks has the potential to be their best bullpen arm. I'd argue he already Is. No idea why you're so obsessed with their depth. Yimi, richards, mayza, Swanson, green? You like them over Hicks. Thats honestly nuts. Also, relief pitching is so unpredictagble, year to year, bass and cimber were great last year, this year total ass. Hicks' stuff will always be elite. He's finally putting it together with his control.

Hicks has the potential to do a lot of things, but he's never reached that potential in his entire career. He was honestly plain bad for the Cardinals at times in his career, especially last year. These are things you have to consider if you're looking to sign a reliever in free agency.

I think there's almost no chance they bring him back considering how many RPs they have (and considering they literally already have a top 10 RP in the pen).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#677 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Romano has been great.

He was definitely a touch better in this series.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#678 » by Boogie! » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

Idk what people see with romano honestly. His stuff is so meh. Reminds me of when Casey Janssen was their closer. Obviously romano is better, but I was always like how the **** is this guy a closer. He had like 14 straight eaves at one point but nothing he did really blew me away. It was more luck than anything else.

How does Romano manage to save games at the very high rate he does while being so bad?

I never said romano was bad. I said I don't think he's that great and his stuff is Meh. Now you're using strawman arguments. You're better than that.

This is the same **** you kept trying to pull with guerreeo all **** season. I say guerrero is ass multiple times in games in frustration but I don't actually think he's a bad player. Just not playing as well as He should be. Yet you kept trying to make it seem like I was guerreros number one hater. Now here you are **** on him way more.

If you want clarification for the hundredth time, I don't think romano sucks. I just don't trust him and is stuff especially against actual elite hitters which we will be seeing in the playoffs. And he always makes me nervous wTchinf him pitch. He's rarely dominant to the point I'm like yeah we won this game romanos in. It's always some bull with him. Usually with dominant closers eith dominant stuff you feel the opposite.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#679 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:25 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

I never said romano was bad. I said I don't think he's that great and his stuff is Meh. Now you're using strawman arguments. You're better than that.

This is the same **** you kept trying to pull with guerreeo all **** season. I say guerrero is ass multiple times in games in frustration but I don't actually think he's a bad player. Just not playing as well as He should be. Yet you kept trying to make it seem like I was guerreros number one hater. Now here you are **** on him way more.

If you want clarification for the hundredth time, I don't think romano sucks. I just don't trust him and is stuff especially against actual elite hitters which we will be seeing in the playoffs. And he always makes me nervous wTchinf him pitch. He's rarely dominant to the point I'm like yeah we won this game romanos in. It's always some bull with him. Usually with dominant closers eith dominant stuff you feel the opposite.

If you don't trust Romano, you're not gonna trust anybody because he's literally been a top 10 RP in baseball since the start of the 2020 season.

Your position on this makes no sense at all.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#680 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:26 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Until yesterday (when Romano had a broken fingernail that prevented him from commanding a slider) that wasn't even true either.

Romano has been great.

He was definitely a touch better in this series.

moreso past 2 months

Return to Toronto Blue Jays