GT: Wildcard Series - TOR @ MIN - Oct 3 - 5, 4:38PM starts

Moderator: JaysRule15

Seasontickets
Bench Warmer
And1: 600

Re: GT: Wildcard Series - TOR @ MIN - Oct 3 - 5, 4:38PM starts 

Post#441 » by Seasontickets » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:11 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Seasontickets wrote:Reviewing some of the comments by Rodriguez, I suspect that Minnesota's advantage on Gausman is strictly analytically driven.

The rule is simple DO NOT ever swing for any of Gausman's "low pitches" unless there is 2 strikes.

Cool. Here's my "analytics" instructions for Bo:

Never ever ever swing at a breaking ball 3 1/2 feet off the plate.

(You need to be able to recognize pitch location before making a decision. Credit to the Twins for recognizing balls... I'm not sure that's new analytics though... "Gausman throws a splitter... don't fall for pitches down,, Jax throws a 'sweeper', don't fall for pitches outside")

Also wanted to add - and I'm not defending Bo or Vlad - they need to be better but Jax was on point.

Did you see what he did to Biggio - a player with a great eye albeit often overmatched when the pitches have movement - three sweepers, all in the strike zone including one that looked like it was going to be 12 inches outside only to backdoor into the corner outside. Ain't simple. Bo got 3 sweepers too but that last one was in a good set up spot cause it looks like a sinker going for the outside corner. Bo was too jumpy though and should know that most of the time a pitcher is gonna waste a pitch before trying to paint that corner. So in some ways I agree your instructions but sometimes those pitches are set up real well by prior pitches (2 strikes).
Pretty neat and on the fridge for the real fans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323749208768
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#442 » by Mehar » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:26 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
JN wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:That really was a ridiculous play by Correa.

I was convinced Bo was fine as he turning third.
Correa really got that one home quicker than I expected.

The entire game shouldn't hinge on that one play. We had plenty of opportunities to score, and squandered all of them, as we've been doing all season.

It was a great play by Correa. However, in the back of his mind Bichette knew Chapman would be coming up with RISP. So, if Bichette did not try to score when he had the chance, he knew that opportunity would to get a run would be be loss with Chapman at the plate who has been atrocious all year with RISP.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#443 » by johanliebert » Wed Oct 4, 2023 10:16 am

Boogie! wrote:
Ranger One wrote:Martínez was selected in the 17th round of the 2003 Major League Baseball draft by the Chicago White Sox, but did not sign and then attended the University of South Alabama.[1] In the 2006 draft, the Florida Marlins selected him in the 15th round.[2] Martínez appeared in 36 games for the Short Season-A Jamestown Jammers in 2006, batting .193 with 11 runs batted in (RBI).[1] In 2007 he played for the Class-A Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Advanced-A Jupiter Hammerheads, and hit a combined .260 with one home run and seven RBI in 48 games.[1] Martínez played his final season with the Marlins organization in 2008, hitting .201 in 61 games for Jupiter.[1]

In 2009, Martínez hit .304 with three home runs, 31 RBI, and 28 stolen bases for the Windy City ThunderBolts of the independent Frontier League.[1] He split the 2010 season with the ThunderBolts and the Lake County Fielders of the Northern League, and played his final season of professional baseball with the American Association's Grand Prairie AirHogs in 2011.[1]

Our Hitting Coach ladies and gentlemen!

Just because you were a **** player doesn't mean you're gonna be a bad coach. There's a guy that fixed aaron judges swing, who I said vlad should train with, that was basically some nobody high school teacher or something that just analyzed swings on his own to coach his son or something basic like that. Now tons of pros are training with this guy. He has a youtube channel called teachermanhitting. Pretty sure these were the same hitting coaches the year vlad had his mvp season.

Exactly as long as he was around the pro game why can’t he coach. Pete walker wasn’t elite in the majors.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,841

Post#444 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Oct 4, 2023 11:27 am

Read on Twitter
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#445 » by Hoopstarr » Wed Oct 4, 2023 11:37 am

Baseball is stupid

Read on Twitter
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,143

Post#446 » by duppyy » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:20 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Ranger One wrote:Martínez was selected in the 17th round of the 2003 Major League Baseball draft by the Chicago White Sox, but did not sign and then attended the University of South Alabama.[1] In the 2006 draft, the Florida Marlins selected him in the 15th round.[2] Martínez appeared in 36 games for the Short Season-A Jamestown Jammers in 2006, batting .193 with 11 runs batted in (RBI).[1] In 2007 he played for the Class-A Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Advanced-A Jupiter Hammerheads, and hit a combined .260 with one home run and seven RBI in 48 games.[1] Martínez played his final season with the Marlins organization in 2008, hitting .201 in 61 games for Jupiter.[1]

In 2009, Martínez hit .304 with three home runs, 31 RBI, and 28 stolen bases for the Windy City ThunderBolts of the independent Frontier League.[1] He split the 2010 season with the ThunderBolts and the Lake County Fielders of the Northern League, and played his final season of professional baseball with the American Association's Grand Prairie AirHogs in 2011.[1]

Our Hitting Coach ladies and gentlemen!

Just because you were a **** player doesn't mean you're gonna be a bad coach. There's a guy that fixed aaron judges swing, who I said vlad should train with, that was basically some nobody high school teacher or something that just analyzed swings on his own to coach his son or something basic like that. Now tons of pros are training with this guy. He has a youtube channel called teachermanhitting. Pretty sure these were the same hitting coaches the year vlad had his mvp season.

Exactly as long as he was around the pro game why can’t he coach. Pete walker wasn’t elite in the majors.

Those who can't do, teach.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#447 » by Cyrus » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:37 pm

Should a new thread be started, after the game starter sucka took the big L! we might need to change up the luck!
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,143

Post#448 » by duppyy » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:44 pm

Cyrus wrote:Should a new thread be started, after the game starter sucka took the big L! we might need to change up the luck!

I nominate you. The non-flashy original post resulted in a non-flashy result.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#449 » by pilkoids » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:45 pm

Cyrus wrote:Should a new thread be started, after the game starter sucka took the big L! we might need to change up the luck!

Go for it, I only created it because it was gameday and there was no thread
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#450 » by Parataxis » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:07 pm

Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
JN wrote:
I was convinced Bo was fine as he turning third.
Correa really got that one home quicker than I expected.

The entire game shouldn't hinge on that one play. We had plenty of opportunities to score, and squandered all of them, as we've been doing all season.

It was a great play by Correa. However, in the back of his mind Bichette knew Chapman would be coming up with RISP. So, if Bichette did not try to score when he had the chance, he knew that opportunity would to get a run would be be loss with Chapman at the plate who has been atrocious all year with RISP.

Chapman got a hit at his next AB
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Post#451 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:10 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:Baseball is stupid

Read on Twitter

Looks to me like the Jays should find some pitchers who don’t choke in the playoffs.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#452 » by changes » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:59 pm

Read on Twitter

It was incredibly annoying watching gausman choke 1 minute into the game.

pathetic :nonono:
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#453 » by Tacoma » Wed Oct 4, 2023 6:05 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Read on Twitter

Looks to me like the Jays should find some pitchers who don’t choke in the playoffs.

Look a little deeper and we lost 4-0 in the game Manoah pitched last year and 3-1 in yesterday's game. You'd be hard pressed to win games in which you score 1 run or less. Imagine the pressure thinking you have to pitch a shutout in order to win a game.
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#454 » by changes » Wed Oct 4, 2023 6:34 pm

Tacoma wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Read on Twitter

Look a little deeper and we lost 4-0 in the game Manoah pitched last year and 3-1 in yesterday's game. You'd be hard pressed to win games in which you score 1 run or less. Imagine the pressure thinking you have to pitch a shutout in order to win a game.

They're not mutually exclusive. Obviously the offense is trash.

There's also context to when you give up runs. For a team struggling as much as they are at the plate, having your number one guy start off the series like that was the worst case scenario for them.

The offense was terrible, and that start by gausman was also a choke.
Section_306
Analyst
And1: 1,576

Post#455 » by Section_306 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:19 pm

When you come to terms with the fact that only a guy like Kawhi could bring a ring to this city and it will never happen again in all probability in your lifetime, for any of the Toronto teams, you start to chill the **** out a bit and just hope for the best and settle for the rest with a shrug lol
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#456 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:52 pm

Biggio should not be batting 5th... Said it out loud when I saw the batting order... Then he goes on to strikeout looking with 2 on & 2 out, brutal.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays