A player like Vernon knows the game is about people not numbers

Love that Vernon still cares
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Re: GT: Blue Jays vs Twins - the Game2ining Oct 4th 

Post#842 » by johanliebert » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:52 am

pilkoids wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:John Schneider: "Everyone was aware of our pitching plans going into the game."

*Berríos was asked on the reasoning for his early hook*: "I don't know."

Vladdy on Berrios being removed: “Everybody was surprised.”

That's horse ****. Even Buck was talking about it early in the game.

Players don’t know how do you tell Berrios he’s only going 3 innings before Kikuchi takes over?

You don’t that’s why the manager aka puppet is the buffer between players and the sabrametrics department.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,226

Post#843 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:11 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:What a waste of resources. Wasted another year of Vladdy and Bo. The people who put this lineup together completely missed the boat. Jays fans should be pissed and deserve better. Major changes need to happen.

Vladdy and Manoah wasted this year themselves. Belt and KK out performed even the most optimistic expectations they had. And this year looks a hell of a lot different if Vlad isn't a sub 1 fWAR player or Manoah isn't the worst starter in the league. Chapman Springer Kirk and Varsho also share some blame as well since they heavily underperformed offensively. But man hard for me to not put this on Vlad he's supposed to be the Matt Olson, Freddie Freeman, Yandy Diaz level guy that carries an offense and is in silver slugger and mvp conversations. He was essentially 2008 Lyle Overbay this year and it's just unacceptable.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,926

Post#844 » by JN » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:42 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:What a waste of resources. Wasted another year of Vladdy and Bo. The people who put this lineup together completely missed the boat. Jays fans should be pissed and deserve better. Major changes need to happen.

Vladdy also wasted a year of Vladdy as well, if that makes any sense.
A step back in performance this year (11% in OPS+) was very disappointing as well as no more focus on the field.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#845 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:45 pm

JN wrote:

Vladdy also wasted a year of Vladdy as well, if that makes any sense.
A step back in performance this year (11% in OPS+) was very disappointing as well as no more focus on the field.

One of the worst baserunners and fielders at his position as well. His dumb play probably costed them their best chance to score today.
JN
RealGM

Post#846 » by JN » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:48 pm

Listening to the Phillips audio, I was surprised that he grouped the Varsho bunt, with the Berrios decision, the Vlad pickoff, Bo's poor fielding, Apparently lots of anger out there over Varsho's bunt attempt. I think the anger over that move is more Monday Morning QB than anything else.

Varsho is a great bunter for hits. He is also our lowest average hitter. Rolling things over to the next guy was not a bad try. At worse it got two guys into scoring position, even with 2 outs. And at least we know Kirk will score on a hit from 3rd - not so from 2nd.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#847 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:56 pm

JN wrote:Listening to the Phillips audio, I was surprised that he grouped the Varsho bunt, with the Berrios decision, the Vlad pickoff, Bo's poor fielding, Apparently lots of anger out there over Varsho's bunt attempt. I think the anger over that move is more Monday Morning QB than anything else.

Varsho is a great bunter for hits. He is also our lowest average hitter. Rolling things over to the next guy was not a bad try. At worse it got two guys into scoring position, even with 2 outs. And at least we know Kirk will score on a hit from 3rd - not so from 2nd.

I didn't love it cause Gray was throwing a ton of meatballs but at worst it was a sacrifice that would guarantee a run if we got a single. Hell Springer got a sweeper at 79 down the middle and a fastball at 93 down the middle. He rips either of those for a double and Varsho bunt is barely a thought.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#848 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:15 pm

Given a day to think about it, I'm not sure I've ever hated a professional sports team more than the 2023 Jays.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#849 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:16 pm

JN wrote:Listening to the Phillips audio, I was surprised that he grouped the Varsho bunt, with the Berrios decision, the Vlad pickoff, Bo's poor fielding, Apparently lots of anger out there over Varsho's bunt attempt. I think the anger over that move is more Monday Morning QB than anything else.

Had no real issue with the attempt. He's not a good hitter and he's been an excellent bunter for hits his entire career. He just missed it that time.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#850 » by pilkoids » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:22 pm

I was down on the bunt as well initially and then I remembered Varsho is a **** hitter.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,858

Post#851 » by Duffman100 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:44 pm

You have to clean house. Please clean house.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,116

Post#852 » by C Court » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:18 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
C Court wrote:There was a sense that that this forum was overly negative towards a Blue Jays team which made the playoffs. Seems like we weren’t the only ones.

Read on Twitter
I certainly found it interesting when I was labeled as too negative about this team just last week. Just about anybody who actually watched the games regularly hated this team.

My cousin and a friend from Winnipeg are huge Jays fans, but I hadn't talked to either of them about the Jays this season until last week when they were in Toronto for the Yankees series.

They both hated this team. They were really down on Schneider, Atkins, the Varsho trade, Romano, Vlad, Chapman, etc....

So again, we weren't the only ones.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#853 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:50 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Given a day to think about it, I'm not sure I've ever hated a professional sports team more than the 2023 Jays.

The 1987 USSR world junior hockey team. Not professional, but winners of any of these categories.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,116

Post#854 » by C Court » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:11 pm

The days after the Jays or Raptors are knocked out of the playoffs, I am really pissed. Except with this Jays team, I’m not.

It was really hard for me to be fully invested in this team, even though I watched almost every game.

The Jays need a bunch of changes and upgrades and I’d start with the front office.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
JN
RealGM

Post#855 » by JN » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:20 pm

JN wrote:Let's hope Berrios is on today.

Of course even if that is the case, you know JS will likely rush it to the pen as soon as possible to show he is doing something in a must win game/

I said this after Berrios had faced a few batters in the bottom of the first, somewhat jokingly (pg 3 of this thread). Little did I know.

I admit I was much more angry, and still am more angry about the Berrios pull than the Jays losing. I was not surprised by the Jays offence sputtering - I had seen enough to expect that - at this point the continued disappointment reduces anger in that regard.

But the Berrios pull seemed so idiotic, so momentum shifting, so offensive to my personal senses of analytics combined with judgment. I know Randle has pointed out the 2020 Shoemaker situation, but Shoemaker is not Berrios... perhaps I should not have been stunned... I didn't follow 2020 team like I did post 2021 onwards.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#857 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:30 pm

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
JN
RealGM

Post#858 » by JN » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:03 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Given a day to think about it, I'm not sure I've ever hated a professional sports team more than the 2023 Jays.

The 1987 USSR world junior hockey team. Not professional, but winners of any of these categories.

How about the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies (I was an Expos fan so I hated them more). Not only for on the field play, but for post career exploits by a number of guys like Schilling and Dykstra.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#859 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:07 pm

What bothers me about the Vlad pickoff at 2nd with 2 outs is that there was a runner on 3rd wasn't there? Does he even regularly check where SS are positioned? I seriously wonder if his lack of focus on the bases is fixable or not.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#860 » by greekman » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:13 pm

can't have varsho, chapman, biggio in the lineup together. and the dh belt was 0-8. very bad offense

Return to Toronto Blue Jays