GT: Blue Jays vs Twins - the Game2ining Oct 4th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Re: GT: Blue Jays vs Twins - the Game2ining Oct 4th 

Post#861 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:20 pm

JN wrote:
JN wrote:Let's hope Berrios is on today.

Of course even if that is the case, you know JS will likely rush it to the pen as soon as possible to show he is doing something in a must win game/

I said this after Berrios had faced a few batters in the bottom of the first, somewhat jokingly (pg 3 of this thread). Little did I know.

I admit I was much more angry, and still am more angry about the Berrios pull than the Jays losing. I was not surprised by the Jays offence sputtering - I had seen enough to expect that - at this point the continued disappointment reduces anger in that regard.

But the Berrios pull seemed so idiotic, so momentum shifting, so offensive to my personal senses of analytics combined with judgment. I know Randle has pointed out the 2020 Shoemaker situation, but Shoemaker is not Berrios... perhaps I should not have been stunned... I didn't follow 2020 team like I did post 2021 onwards.

Shoemaker is/was not as good as Berrios (well at least not this year's version), but was pitching nearly as good a game as Berrios when he was pulled against the Rays in 2020.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2002158&start=40

You can see the general reaction to the move here in the thread above (it was not positive). My immediate reaction as well (I had less disgust for this front office in those days):

Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays made a decision there with Shoemaker/Ray that I don't think any team in baseball history would have made.

It's an interesting experiment to make decisions completely by general probability without regard to game context at all. Backfired on them there completely but interesting nonetheless.

Randle McMurphy wrote:Also, for anybody blaming Montoyo for that, don't be ridiculous. Management told him to do that no matter what before the game.

Randle McMurphy wrote:So Rays pulled Snell because the computers said he shouldn't pitch three times through the order despite the fact he was rolling. Not as extreme as what the Jays did, but the same thing in principle.

This stuff never would have happened even 5 years ago.

The Rays of course followed that up by pulling Snell in the World Series when he was completely shutting down the Dodgers, leading to a loss. The Jays then did the same thing yesterday because the numbers told them on average Berrios is worse the second time through the order and Kikuchi gives them the platoon advantage on numerous LHBs.

Baseball is only going further in this direction and the puppet managers these teams employ won't do anything to stop it.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#862 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:31 pm

ItsDanger wrote:What bothers me about the Vlad pickoff at 2nd with 2 outs is that there was a runner on 3rd wasn't there? Does he even regularly check where SS are positioned? I seriously wonder if his lack of focus on the bases is fixable or not.

Everything about a runner getting picked off at 2nd with 2 outs should bother you because it's colossally stupid.

For what was far from the first time and won't be the last time, he wasn't paying attention.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#863 » by linery88 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:47 pm

Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#864 » by Cyrus » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:47 pm

The thing I can't reconcile, regarding the whole pitching change fiasco besides why are we going to bullpen when Jose is having the best performance of the season, after 47 pitches no less, even if one batter got on base. Is if we had a an elite left hander pitcher who is shut down, coming out the pen okay sure you can maybe defend that decision even if it's still crazy. And yes Yusei Kikuchi had an amazing year for him, But why would you go guy who hasn't all year been reliever, so already your putting him into something he's not fully comfortable with, he's coming in not with a clean inning but a guy on on the base, has to work from the stretch, like your already putting him behind the eight ball and not a recipe for success. Like it's not a prime clayton kershaw coming out the pen, who is a hall of famer, you want your season riding with Yesei, especially knowing the offense can't do jack.

Then if you really look at the numbers, the last few starts of Yusei, hasn't been his best quality, still better than last year, but in comparison to earlier in the year, he was sliding/slipping a bit. So with all that data/info, why would you choose to go to him . Who ever came up with the plan or looking at the analytics on this better examine their models and process that came to this conclusion, that this was the best option to keep the game scoreless, like he was our best option with the LHB coming up?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,219

Post#865 » by LLJ » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:51 pm

duppyy wrote:Even when we have the best offence in the league, we suck in the playoffs. Just a Toronto curse. We tried with pitching and defence that didn’t work this season. I guess we need a perfect team.

The Toronto curse is too many fans, executives and media getting too attached with what's not working for way too long. The 2019 Raptors showed that when an organization makes decisive moves for actual legit talent, there is no curse.

When a team keeps bumping their heads against the same exact wall year after year, clearly that core is not working and you gotta make a change.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,058

Post#866 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:06 pm

On the aggregate, Berrios' worst inning from regular season was actually the 4th based on ERA. Digging deeper, 17 starts with 3 shutout innings and of those he went on to extend the shutout 12 times into the 4th inning. Of the other 5 times, 4 were vs AL East teams, one vs Arizona. Therefore, you wonder how in depth the analysis actually goes as the numbers when "he's on" are much better than glancing at the aggregates. On the qualitative side, as others mentioned, making this change might insert a confidence question into the lineup.

At the end of the day, scoring 1 run in 2 games is a backbreaker. This roster is really built for a 7 game series. In a 3 game, anything can happen. Just wish we had more in depth explanations as I'm just left with more questions.

I always remember seeing Paul Molitor on this team back then. Obviously a great hitter but what stuck out to me immediately was how he was such a flawless base runner. Such an underrated aspect of the game.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 186

Post#867 » by PowerPlant1 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:54 pm

greekman wrote:can't have varsho, chapman, biggio in the lineup together. and the dh belt was 0-8. very bad offense

Two of those players will be here next season.

Biggio should not be trusted for next season even though he had a good second half. Problem with putting him in the 5 spot in the playoffs was that you were relying on him in a key offensive spot despite him not being a playoff performer along with previous large sample size of mediocrity. He should have been pinch hit for at least once.

Belt's struggles in the 2 games were unfortunate. He was looking good coming in and couldn't come through. Varsho..... I don't even want to talk about that guy anymore. So glad his baserunning and defense stopped the Twins from scoring in the game. Maybe if Varsho found a way to attain superman speed and catch balls that would have dropped for singles, then he would be more useful.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#868 » by johanliebert » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:58 pm

The godfather of these nerds Bill James(sabrametrics) suggested teams be limited to 3 pitchers a few years ago. There needs to be a correction with how pitching has been handled.
Tustari
Junior
And1: 320

Post#869 » by Tustari » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:01 pm

I feel sorry for the Jay fans who put their money down to watch this crud over the last two years. I feel like a part of my soul has been sucked out with the time I’ve wasted watching these bozos over the last several years. But I am proud I have not wasted a single dollar on these clowns. I am also proud I did not watch a single second of Game 2 because I already knew the result.

As alluring as it is to put the blame on management, ultimately it is the performances of the players that determines the fate of the team. And including the debacle last year against Seattle, it is the lack of heart, focus, drive, and determination of this team that is truly disturbing. Even when the Raps with Demar and Lowry were getting eliminated in the playoffs they were still able to produce wins. I seriously doubt this team can ever produce a SINGLE win in the postseason. This team has reached its peak folks. And how utterly pathetic is that? Lmaooo!
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#870 » by HangTime » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:07 pm

I wish this was at home, just to hear the boos for pulling Berrios
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#871 » by linery88 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:18 pm

I didnt know that Baseball players who play,and get paid very well to do so,needed to be shown or figure out for themselves how to play good Baseball LOL>
Vladys,Kirks,Manoahs fixes are all very simple.Eat better..workout more.Vlad almost won a triple crown,and beat out Ohtani after he stopped eating late,and never made these errors in the field or on base,but this season he said he liked poutine,and Lays ketchup chips.Even if you workout,and still eat like ****,the workouts mean nothing after you keep eating ****.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,402

Post#872 » by Ranger One » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:21 pm

Im starting to wonder if Vlad is on the spectrum. His IQ seems lower than average and for some reason he is STILL using an interpreter 5 years into his career? How has he not learned even basic English after spending 5 years around english speaking teammates in an english speaking country? Its very possible he lacks the mental capacity to grasp and understand basic instructions and baseball concepts if they are in english. He could also have ADHD and might require a permanent special needs assistant.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#873 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:25 pm

Ranger One wrote:Im starting to wonder if Vlad is on the spectrum. His IQ seems lower than average and for some reason he is STILL using an interpreter 5 years into his career? How has he not learned even basic English after spending 5 years around english speaking teammates in an english speaking country? Its very possible he lacks the mental capacity to grasp and understand basic instructions and baseball concepts. He could also have ADHD and might require a permanent special needs assistant.

Have you never watched an interview with him in English? He gave one just a few days ago. There's nothing wrong with his English. I imagine he just doesn't want to talk to idiots like Arash Madani who twist his words.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,402

Post#874 » by Ranger One » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:30 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Ranger One wrote:Im starting to wonder if Vlad is on the spectrum. His IQ seems lower than average and for some reason he is STILL using an interpreter 5 years into his career? How has he not learned even basic English after spending 5 years around english speaking teammates in an english speaking country? Its very possible he lacks the mental capacity to grasp and understand basic instructions and baseball concepts. He could also have ADHD and might require a permanent special needs assistant.

Have you never watched an interview with him in English? He gave one just a few days ago. There's nothing wrong with his English. I imagine he just doesn't want to talk to idiots like Arash Madani who twist his words.

Well than thats an even worse look for him regardless. The fact he carries a personal interpreter with him for occasions where he wants to escape accountability speaks volumes about his personality and professionalism.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,960

Post#875 » by Potential » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#876 » by linery88 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:35 pm

The more attention this gets the better for the Jays,and Baseball..........hopefully.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#877 » by SharoneWright » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:48 pm

Potential wrote:

Read on Twitter

Does Vlad think he won the MVP?

The first time he said it, I thought he was joking. After the second time, I’m not so sure… Maybe somebody should tell him?
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,471

Post#878 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:12 pm

linery88 wrote:
The more attention this gets the better for the Jays,and Baseball..........hopefully.

Everyone is **** on these idiots and it's glorious.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,471

Post#879 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:13 pm

linery88 wrote:

This one will sting for Rogers as the casuals will see it. I hope the media keeps making noise and forces Ed to fire these idiots.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,960

Post#880 » by Potential » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:41 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Potential wrote:

Read on Twitter

Does Vlad think he won the MVP?

The first time he said it, I thought he was joking. After the second time, I’m not so sure… Maybe somebody should tell him?

I thought he was talking about the real MVP at first then remembered he won all star mvp

Return to Toronto Blue Jays