ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Blue Jays vs Twins - the Game2ining Oct 4th

Moderator: JaysRule15

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,471

Re: GT: Blue Jays vs Twins - the Game2ining Oct 4th 

Post#821 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:57 am

JN wrote:Someone has mentioned it here before, but somebody was successful in getting Rogers to open up the purse strings more than before. if it's Shapiro its worth something
In 2023, our team salary is 130% of league average... in 2016 it was about league average.

But after today that's one of the few positives I can give.

That doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate into results. The Rays and Orioles had payrolls of around $70 million each this year (1/3 of our pay roll). We need someone in charge who can put the money to good use.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Post#822 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:58 am

JN wrote:Someone has mentioned it here before, but somebody was successful in getting Rogers to open up the purse strings more than before. if it's Shapiro its worth something
In 2023, our team salary is 130% of league average... in 2016 it was about league average.

I’d keep Shapiro around if only for that reason (he clearly has a very good relationship with Ed and it has less to investment in this franchise we’ve never seen before) but take away his baseball control and give it to someone else.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#823 » by linery88 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:02 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
linery88 wrote:Harold Reynolds MLB said it best about a week ago."When your lineup/hitters are struggling to score runs,and not consistent,you dont constantly shift them all around etc,you keep the lineup consistent,because its the one place where you can maintain some kind of consistency,and see what happens"
This was my beef all year,but they just kept making panic decisions,and every game was "Groundhog Day" with a new lineup.The message to the players was that they suck,and they cant hit....just like today with Berrios...Sorry Jose.
They never gave the hitters a chance to stay in one slot.
The most miserable 89 win season ever.

I'm fine with reshuffling the lineup when something isn't working, but a lot of the time, our lineups don't make any sense.

So am i if a guy is in a major slump,or if its the lower half of the lineup after the 5 slot.
Here`s one example of the lineup not making any sense at all.

They kept trying Belt in different slots all season,until they found the best one which was the 4 slot.They won 4 or 5 in a row @NYM,and @ Mil in June.The first time they did it,I think was against Verlander in game 1 vs NYM.They beat him 1-0.They kept doing it,and swept NYM before NYM got injury bugged.Then they won the Mil series.Both Belt,and Vlad were hitting,and driving in runs in that lineup.Then for some reason(lost a few games), they move Belt before Vlad.Then in a game at home after those series Belt gets hurt trying to score from 2nd on a Vlad base hit,and is out for 10 days.Belt a guy who is coming off major knee surgery being put in a slot that needs speed so Vlad can knock him in easier doesn,t make any sense.
To me it shows neither Schneider/Atkins/Shapiro know nothing at all about offense,add to the fact they hire an anemic H.C. with crappy numbers,who should have been fired at the allstar break.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#824 » by SharoneWright » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:03 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

I’d keep Shapiro around if only for that reason (he clearly has a very good relationship with Ed and it has less to investment in this franchise we’ve never seen before) but take away his baseball control and give it to someone else.

Ya. Everyone points to the Rogers Centre renovation re Shapiro... and good job I guess...

More relevant to a fan might be that he's actually considered something of a heavyweight by the MLB office. Nice to be 'credentialed' when you're the only the only team playing in the hinterlands of Canada...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#825 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:04 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Ya. Everyone points to the Rogers renovation re Shapiro... and good job I guess...

More relevant to a fan might be that he's actually considered something of a heavyweight by the MLB office. Nice to have a bit of influence/stature when your the only the only team playing in the hinterlands of Canada...

He was also portrayed as an **** in Moneyball. It counts for something.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#826 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:06 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:I'd take AA back in a second of course even if he did leave the cupboards bare on the way out (and he did). He's just a much more creative and less rigid thinker than these guys could ever be.

That will almost certainly never happen though given the way he turned down Ed Rogers' money on the way out. Hard to imagine him ever being back as long as Ed is this involved in the baseball team.

How involved is Ed? I don't follow closely enough to know
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#827 » by linery88 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:09 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really hope that SN getting the green light to **** all over the team the last few weeks is a sign that Rogers has soured on the FO and will make a change in the off-season.

Ken Read is really enjoying **** on the Berrios decision,and assumalytics.
Assumalytics almost completely destroyed Baseball and its ratings by "The Shift"

Schneider/Shatkins should be forced to watch every game from this season again,and see what they learn,if anything.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,058

Post#828 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:26 am

;si=8E4-fF4F3eZ66_m-
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#829 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:59 am

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,471

Post#830 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:03 am

ItsDanger wrote:;si=8E4-fF4F3eZ66_m-

He perfectly summarized this team and our issues.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#831 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#832 » by SharoneWright » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:20 am

Even in defeat, Vladdy always thinking about the next contract. This is what he’s going to the arbiter with :

“I’ve got to get better on everything,” Guerrero said. “I'll take it as a good season, but I expect more from myself.”
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#833 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:35 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:I'd take AA back in a second of course even if he did leave the cupboards bare on the way out (and he did). He's just a much more creative and less rigid thinker than these guys could ever be.

That will almost certainly never happen though given the way he turned down Ed Rogers' money on the way out. Hard to imagine him ever being back as long as Ed is this involved in the baseball team.

How involved is Ed? I don't follow closely enough to know

He’s not calling the shots from a baseball perspective, but he handpicked Shapiro to take over for Beeston/AA 7 years ago and investment has only gone up significantly since that hiring (both in terms of payroll and the stadium). All indications are they have a good relationship and that he is invested in the team being successful.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#834 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:40 am

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A player like Vernon knows the game is about people not numbers
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#835 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:49 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:;si=8E4-fF4F3eZ66_m-

He perfectly summarized this team and our issues.

Turns out there is an actual cost to letting Vlad, Bo and the rest of the team do stupid **** all season with no consequences. Who could have expected that?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#836 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:05 am

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Snell was more impactful but you could easily make the case that this was even stupider.

The sport of baseball is clearly damaged beyond repair if it is being dictated by moves like this from the front office.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#837 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:16 am

Snell at his best is one of the best pitchers in the game. He's just a little inconsistent between starts. But when he's on, you ride him. Lefthanded starters like that are gold. That's why Tiedemann should be untouchable in trades.

Removing him was idiotic then, remains so now. Taking Berrios out when he's dealing had little upside against a weak overall Twins lineup. It's pointless ranking them but the pattern is what remains: Letting I'll advised projections dictate 100% of your decisions when they should just be an option to guide action.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,838

Post#838 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:11 am

What a waste of resources. Wasted another year of Vladdy and Bo. The people who put this lineup together completely missed the boat. Jays fans should be pissed and deserve better. Major changes need to happen.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,838

Post#839 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:26 am

John Schneider: "Everyone was aware of our pitching plans going into the game."

*Berríos was asked on the reasoning for his early hook*: "I don't know."

Vladdy on Berrios being removed: “Everybody was surprised.”
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#840 » by pilkoids » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:15 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:John Schneider: "Everyone was aware of our pitching plans going into the game."

*Berríos was asked on the reasoning for his early hook*: "I don't know."

Vladdy on Berrios being removed: “Everybody was surprised.”

That's horse ****. Even Buck was talking about it early in the game.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays