ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this!

Moderator: JaysRule15

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Re: Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this! 

Post#241 » by duppyy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:44 am

Can’t wait to hear what Shapiro says Thursday. Who will he throw under the bus?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Re: Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this! 

Post#242 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:50 am

duppyy wrote:Can’t wait to hear what Shapiro says Thursday. Who will he throw under the bus?

Probably nobody. He's generally way better with the media than Atkins.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,114

Post#243 » by C Court » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,469

Post#244 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:34 pm

C Court wrote:
Read on Twitter

If it's true, then he can GTFO too. But this feels like more noise to deflect blame from Atkins.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#245 » by polo007 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:34 pm

Ex-Jays P Anthony Bass says his June release 'was not a baseball decision' | TSN.ca

Former Toronto pitcher Anthony Bass said he reached out to the MLB Players Association after the Blue Jays released him last June, and disagreed with general manager Ross Atkins' assertion that the move was a "baseball decision."

The team designated Bass for assignment on June 9, nearly two weeks after he shared a social media post that supported anti-LGBTQ boycotts.

Bass, in his first public comments since the mid-season imbroglio, said he was told by the MLBPA that there wasn't a grievance opportunity because he was guaranteed the remainder of his US$3-million salary.

"If this causes future issues, I think there is a strong case to be had," Bass told The Canadian Press via direct message.

Bass, a 35-year-old free agent, has been training ahead of a potential return to the big leagues in 2024 and said "there has already been early interest."

"I have more left in the tank," he said.

Bass made a brief public apology the day after his later-deleted post and met with Pride Toronto executive director Sherwin Modeste. They talked for about an hour and discussed Bass catching the ceremonial first pitch to kick off Pride Weekend at Rogers Centre.

Plans changed when Bass was designated for assignment a few hours before the game.

"No one should be fired because of his/her personal beliefs," Bass said in a DM.

Atkins spoke shortly after the roster move was announced and said it was a "baseball decision to make our team better," adding the distraction was something that the club had to factor in.

Bass, a native of Dearborn, Mich., said he was surprised by the news.

"I thought they were calling me into the office to say that I would not be catching the first pitch to kick off Pride Weekend/month," he said.

Bass was formally released on June 15 and didn't land with another team.

"Ross didn't give me an explanation," he said. "Told me that they are releasing me."

"I can read between the lines," Bass added.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#246 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:24 pm

Yes, being a moron was the main reason, but also not pitching well this year didn't really help his case.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,058

Post#247 » by ItsDanger » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:34 pm

James Click, history major from Yale. LOL

I see a pattern here.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,634

Post#248 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:35 pm

Wonder if there's anything else on his resume?

Ah well, no point in checking.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
C Court
RealGM

Post#249 » by C Court » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Theo Epstein (Yale graduate - American Studies) ended historic World Series droughts for both the Red Sox and Cubs.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#250 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:47 pm

ItsDanger wrote:James Click, history major from Yale. LOL

I see a pattern here.

You don't need to be a genius to be a sports executive. You just need to be well connected and understand the sport.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#251 » by ItsDanger » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:52 pm

C Court wrote:Theo Epstein (Yale graduate - American Studies) ended historic World Series droughts for both the Red Sox and Cubs.

If you're going to rely on analytics so much, you need someone with that background.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
C Court
RealGM

Post#252 » by C Court » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:55 pm

Alex Anthopoulos worked for his dad's HVAC business before graduating from McMaster with an Economics major.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#253 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:02 am

Anthopoulos lets the manager dictate on field decisions. Maybe the Jays front office is just in over their heads in this area. Surely so many people left questioning the recent debacle is a red flag.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#255 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:27 am

ItsDanger wrote:
C Court wrote:Theo Epstein (Yale graduate - American Studies) ended historic World Series droughts for both the Red Sox and Cubs.

If you're going to rely on analytics so much, you need someone with that background.

The executives don't do the number crunching. They hire data scientists out of school to do that and then present the data to them.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#256 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:

The executives don't do the number crunching. They hire data scientists out of school to do that and then present the data to them.

Yes but they need to understand the methodology utilized with the corresponding applicable data. Otherwise its the blind leading the blind. Non analytics leading non baseball.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#257 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:38 am

ItsDanger wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:If you're going to rely on analytics so much, you need someone with that background.

Yes but they need to understand the methodology utilized with the corresponding applicable data. Otherwise its the blind leading the blind. Non analytics leading non baseball.

I don't think baseball analytics are so complicated that you need a deep understanding of how they are derived to be able to interpret and apply them. You really just need common sense.

However, I do agree that if the GM/President are not statistics savants, maybe they shouldn't make analytics the foundation of their entire organization. But I don't think anyone should be doing that (even a stats savant).
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,648

Post#258 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:27 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/blue-jays-whit-merrifield-on-shock-confusion-and-anger-of-jose-berrios-exit

Great comments by Merrifield . Paralysis by analysis
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#259 » by Cyrus » Wed Dec 6, 2023 6:06 pm

So Star article came out today with John Schneider saying, they he has to be better, and it was his decision to pull Jose. Well him and his coaches after running through scenarios, and that he craves information. I'm sure there was analytics khakis in play, but seems like dude is over his head, based on the last 2 playoffs, doesn't surprise me (Seattle disaster and Minny pulling).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Post#260 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Dec 6, 2023 6:19 pm

Cyrus wrote:So Star article came out today with John Schneider saying, they he has to be better, and it was his decision to pull Jose. Well him and his coaches after running through scenarios, and that he craves information. I'm sure there was analytics khakis in play, but seems like dude is over his head, based on the last 2 playoffs, doesn't surprise me (Seattle disaster and Minny pulling).

Yeah, that's what is called a lie after he kept his job.

His true honest response was in the immediate aftermath.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays