ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this!

Moderator: JaysRule15

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Re: Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this! 

Post#201 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:22 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:I also don’t think Shatkins have done a terrible job. The Jays rebuilt quickly after 2016 and have been winning at a pretty decent pace. I think they could have done a better job, and previously I would have said “when hiring managers” but now I guess it’s more “when hiring managers and then they should not give them specific and immutable instructions for how to manage every game”. But Atkins in particular needs to go after that nonsense, and I’d also dump Schneider for just being bad even if it was in the service of following orders. These are not irreplaceable cogs in the machine.

There are obviously much worse options out there to run a team than Ross Atkins, but I just can't stomach this guy anymore. It's not just the press conference. It's creating an environment where absurd things like the Berrios move can and do happen and where players like Alek Manoah feel comfortable enough to refuse a demotion. There is a stubborn rigidity to their decision making and processes that I don't think can be reconciled with running a successful major league baseball team.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Re: Fire John Schneider / Or the Analytics Staff and Above Now... just fire somebody for this! 

Post#202 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:27 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
C Court wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
You, and most of the speculative fans here, have pretty much 0 evidence of such accusations of blaming 1 person.

Until or when the truth comes out, let’s see what the organization does in the off-season in terms of improving this ugly offense. They obviously need fine tuning of their analytics and the conclusions they are coming up with to warrant that change.

It seems that both Schneider and Atkins are back next year so I hope both improve in all aspects. We are not in control so why be negative. lol

I am not blaming one guy. I am just rightly pointing out that Atkins likely lied yesterday.

He essentially said he had no idea that Schneider was going to pull Berrios and pitch Kikuchi and he said it was Schneider’s decision. Yet Schneider said it was an organizational decision. So someone isn’t telling the truth.

As well, the reporters who follow the team daily (including pro-front office Wilner) don’t believe Atkins’version.

The comment that we are not in control so why be negative is condescending and silly. As a Jays fan since 1977, a buyer of Jays tickets, a subscriber to Rogers cable and phone services, I have a right to an opinion regarding the products they sell me. If it’s negative, so what? You have no control over my opinion. Why do you care? Why waste your time posting here? LOL

Bo and Whit also said it was an organizational decision. Pretty much everyone except Atkins said it was an organizational decision.

They've also done literally the same move before in a playoff game with a different manager who revealed it was an organizational plan at the time. It's not really a mystery what went on in game 2.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#203 » by SharoneWright » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:32 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
C Court wrote:
I am not blaming one guy. I am just rightly pointing out that Atkins likely lied yesterday.

He essentially said he had no idea that Schneider was going to pull Berrios and pitch Kikuchi and he said it was Schneider’s decision. Yet Schneider said it was an organizational decision. So someone isn’t telling the truth.

As well, the reporters who follow the team daily (including pro-front office Wilner) don’t believe Atkins’version.

The comment that we are not in control so why be negative is condescending and silly. As a Jays fan since 1977, a buyer of Jays tickets, a subscriber to Rogers cable and phone services, I have a right to an opinion regarding the products they sell me. If it’s negative, so what? You have no control over my opinion. Why do you care? Why waste your time posting here? LOL

Bo and Whit also said it was an organizational decision. Pretty much everyone except Atkins said it was an organizational decision.

They've also done literally the same move before in a playoff game with a different manager who revealed it was an organizational plan at the time. It's not really a mystery what went on in game 2.

They literally hired Montoyo due to his comfort with/reliance on analytics. IE. He would follow the geeks.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#204 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:48 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

They literally hired Montoyo due to his comfort with/reliance on analytics. IE. He would follow the geeks.

Well at least that was the story when he was hired. Given both Montoyo and Schneider's tenures so far, it seems they're just hiring these managers because they are cheap and they are puppets who will follow their instructions.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,481

Post#205 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 8:49 pm

C Court wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wilner calls what Atkins did today an embarrassment and failure.

I am no fan of Wilner, but his podcast is the best commentary on Atkins’ colossal fail. Mike doesn’t hold back.

Is there a single reporter that hasn't turned on Atkins? When even Mike Shillner and Shill Davidi are saying this kind of stuff, how do you bring this clown back?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#206 » by polo007 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#207 » by Mehar » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:59 pm

C Court wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

I am no fan of Wilner, but his podcast is the best commentary on Atkins’ colossal fail. Mike doesn’t hold back.

I have not paid attention to Mike Shillner and his podcasts, since he has been the ultimate company man and Blue Jays Shill for twenty years on the Fan 590. However, I listened to his Podcast and it was surprising how even he was so livid and tore into Ross Atkins. Shillner said he believed Atkins should not be back. Something is definitely happening behind the scenes where all the Blue Jays apologists are ganging up on Atkins. Maybe the top people at Rogers gave all these Blue Jays homers in the media the Green Light to chew out Atkins. If Atkins does not get fired this off-season, I believe that if the Jays are mediocre in the first month or two of 2024- I expect him to be canned by then. No way he survives this embarrassment long-term. I have never seen a GM throw his Manager under the bus like Atkins. An absolute disgrace to witness where Atkins passes the blame on to another man, for his own organizational incompetence.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#208 » by Kurtz » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:27 pm

Mehar wrote:
C Court wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have not paid attention to Mike Shillner and his podcasts, since he has been the ultimate company man and Blue Jays Shill for twenty years on the Fan 590. However, I listened to his Podcast and it was surprising how even he was so livid and tore into Ross Atkins. Shillner said he believed Atkins should not be back. Something is definitely happening behind the scenes where all the Blue Jays apologists are ganging up on Atkins. Maybe the top people at Rogers gave all these Blue Jays homers in the media the Green Light to chew out Atkins. If Atkins does not get fired this off-season, I believe that if the Jays are mediocre in the first month or two of 2024- I expect him to be canned by then. No way he survives this embarrassment long-term. I have never seen a GM throw his Manager under the bus like Atkins. An absolute disgrace to witness where Atkins passes the blame on to another man, for his own organizational incompetence.

You may be on to something with the media. And we have Click sitting there ready to go. His resume would be an easy sell to the fanbase.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,116

Post#209 » by C Court » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:55 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
C Court wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
You, and most of the speculative fans here, have pretty much 0 evidence of such accusations of blaming 1 person.

Until or when the truth comes out, let’s see what the organization does in the off-season in terms of improving this ugly offense. They obviously need fine tuning of their analytics and the conclusions they are coming up with to warrant that change.

It seems that both Schneider and Atkins are back next year so I hope both improve in all aspects. We are not in control so why be negative. lol

“I have the right to an opinion regarding the products they sell me”

“You have no control over my opinion, why do you care”

Okay old man yelling at cloud.

Seriously. Why do you care? What do you expect when you post on a public sports forum?

Just sit in your room, smile and tell yourself everything is perfect when literally no one else besides Atkins agrees with you! LOL
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#210 » by DelAbbot » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:13 am

Atkins says "it wasn't me"
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#211 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Oct 9, 2023 5:16 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
C Court wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Your take on this, defending Atkins, has been repudiated by virtually every Jays media writer/reporter and every other poster here. Who's the one yelling at clouds?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#213 » by johanliebert » Mon Oct 9, 2023 8:53 am

You can’t fire 3 managers in 5 years so why not throw Atkins under the bus. Him stating it wasn’t his call and he wasn’t there for the pre-planning isn’t a lie. Now if the media wanted him to defend Schneider it’s understandable.

Just past year 90% of this board couldn’t get their heads around managers being puppets why is it so far fetched that Atkins didn’t make that call?
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#214 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:43 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Oh no, the Mets are interested in Click. I guess we're stuck with Atkins forever.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/10/08/major-league-baseball-managers-grossly-underpaid/71106218007/

In the same article Seattle GM Jerry Dipoto made embarrassing comments postseason sort of like Atkins, but then went on radio the next day and apologized for it. Will we see Ross do that? Or hopefully, we don't see him again as a Blue Jays GM
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#215 » by JN » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:09 pm

I even saw a teeet from Hazel Mae yesterday going hard at Atkins. I don’t follow her or know her Twitter tendencies but it seemed quite surprising to me.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#216 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:06 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
C Court wrote:

Your take on this, defending Atkins, has been repudiated by virtually every Jays media writer/reporter and every other poster here. Who's the one yelling at clouds?

not defending Atkins.

he's much to blame as well

Jays/Toronto media's job is to create controversy and critisize everything when something goes wrong. i''m not surprised they went after Atkins because he's not a charismatic guy and he's a guy who said it wasn't him when everyone else was on the "same page" on how it went down. but then again, its also expected that you guys went after Atkins too. he's a lightninig rod of criticism.

Atkins is not a likeable guy, at least when it comes to explaining himself and some player moves the last few years that look bad on him. does he deserve all the hate? i don't think so.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#217 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:31 pm

Toronto media’s job isn’t to create controversy. In fact a lot of them are paid by the people who own the Blue Jays and are much more incentivized to say everything is going great.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#218 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:09 pm

JN wrote:I even saw a teeet from Hazel Mae yesterday going hard at Atkins. I don’t follow her or know her Twitter tendencies but it seemed quite surprising to me.

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,458

Post#219 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:58 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Mehar wrote:
C Court wrote:

You may be on to something with the media. And we have Click sitting there ready to go. His resume would be an easy sell to the fanbase.

man I noticed that too. All the media taking shots at Atkins and ripping him apart one by one. He deserves it. No accountability - that's what you get.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#220 » by Cyrus » Mon Oct 9, 2023 5:52 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Toronto media’s job isn’t to create controversy. In fact a lot of them are paid by the people who own the Blue Jays and are much more incentivized to say everything is going great.

If anything it's set up from top, to change the narrative and direction that he's on his way out. We've seen this time and time again with the Raptors in the past, how it was quick 180 from coach of the year nick nurse to selfish Nick nurse, to VC being selfish, to oh maybe VC is the greatest raptors of all time, lets forgive him... it's funny how it's all group think, it's all being suggested/fed.

The question is Atkins gone this year or next year.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays