ImageImageImageImageImage

Shapiro Press Conference

Moderator: JaysRule15

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Re: Shapiro Press Conference 

Post#21 » by Parataxis » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm

Awesome. Aiming for at least another year of mediocrity. I'm so excited.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,220

Post#22 » by LLJ » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:29 pm

Parataxis wrote:Awesome. Aiming for at least another year of mediocrity. I'm so excited.

Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,964

Post#23 » by Potential » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Man this is embarrassing. I see posts from other fanbases quoting these tweets "at least we don't have Toronto's disaster front office"
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#24 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:19 pm

C Court wrote:Shapiro is sorry for disappointing the fans, but he’s got a plan - run it back again with the same guys.

Read on Twitter

At least I found out Dave Hodge is still active
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,826

Post#25 » by Quattro » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:47 pm

Love it. Not only is Hodge still active, he’s still got that old snarky attitude he always had.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,481

Post#26 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:52 pm

This franchise is a joke. **** you Ed. **** you Mark. **** you Ross.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,116

Post#27 » by C Court » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Come on Mark. At least fire someone.

The third base coach is retiring. How about the hitting coach as well or the Home Plate Lady or anyone - just to give us a little hope that you're trying something different.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Post#28 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm

They'll stick to their process to the very end.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#29 » by Cyrus » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm

C Court wrote:Come on Mark. At least fire someone.

The third base coach is retiring. How about the hitting coach as well or the Home Plate Lady or anyone - just to give us a little hope that you're trying something different.

You want him to fire the trainers, security like masai :)

Though he did get rid of coach.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,841

Post#30 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:08 pm

C Court wrote:
Read on Twitter

NO Mark Shapiro in WIN NOW mode you don't wait 5 years to evaluate a trade....the impact was supposed to be this season and perhaps next season. This was a bad trade, and you know it. You just can't admit to your mistakes.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#31 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:15 pm

Don't think I am going to watch every game like I did this year. This team has no spine. Atkins should've been let go, I also don't think John Schneider has the respect of the team anymore
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#32 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:51 pm

Tried to watch the Shapiro conference just now, had to shut it off. I can't stand the way he talks, full of corporate jargon and ingratiating and glad- handing. Nothing sincere about him it's all fake pr stuff. A big move had to be made today, Atkins was the logical victim, and instead they do nothing.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,346

Post#33 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:52 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:
C Court wrote:
Read on Twitter

NO Mark Shapiro in WIN NOW mode you don't wait 5 years to evaluate a trade....the impact was supposed to be this season and perhaps next season. This was a bad trade, and you know it. You just can't admit to your mistakes.

But the impact was this season. They traded a guy who was going to be their 3rd catcher on the depth chart for the best defensive player in baseball and they ended up getting the 2nd best production in the sport at the catcher position regardless (Kirk/Jansen) and a 4 WAR player in the outfield in Varsho despite struggling to hit for the first 4 months.

From a value and impact perspective, the trade was perfectly fine for the Jays in 2023. Because of the trade, they went from being strong at one position to being strong at two positions. The potential for real damage may however come in 3-4 years if Moreno ends up being a star and/or Varsho departs to free agency and/or Kirk doesn't develop as they expected.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,116

Post#34 » by C Court » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:43 pm

No doubt, the Jays were frustrating to watch this season. Not sure how Ross makes them better next year. Wait and see, I guess.

Read on Twitter
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#35 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:03 pm

C Court wrote:No doubt, the Jays were frustrating to watch this season. Not sure how Ross makes them better next year. Wait and see, I guess.

Read on Twitter

Their only real option is to sign Bellinger to a massive deal. It might not be prudent (it will 100% be an overpay due to how weak the free agent class is), but when you've failed to build a farm system that produces major league talent, or even pieces that can be used in a trade, free agency becomes your only avenue of improvement. Depending on how much Teoscar and Lourdes cost (considering they both sucked this year), we might be able to bring one of them back as DH.

Beyond that, they need to clean house in terms of offensive coaching staff.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#36 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:46 pm

…but we have a farm system that produced talent and is producing talent and was, and could again be, used in trades.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,238

Post#37 » by Mehar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:18 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
C Court wrote:No doubt, the Jays were frustrating to watch this season. Not sure how Ross makes them better next year. Wait and see, I guess.

Read on Twitter

Their only real option is to sign Bellinger to a massive deal. It might not be prudent (it will 100% be an overpay due to how weak the free agent class is), but when you've failed to build a farm system that produces major league talent, or even pieces that can be used in a trade, free agency becomes your only avenue of improvement. Depending on how much Teoscar and Lourdes cost (considering they both sucked this year), we might be able to bring one of them back as DH.

A Big No to offering Bellinger a massive deal. He had a great comeback year building up his value, but people forget how awful he was in the prior 3 seasons (hitting .210 last year, .165 in 2021, and .239 in 2020). I would rather just go with Varsho in CF, and try to add another Left Fielder in a trade that is a decent enough defender, but a good hitter to complement Varsho in CF. I would not mind Teoscar returning as DH, depending on what type of contract he is looking at. He had 26 homers and 93 RBI (very identical to Vlad), and for 6-7 weeks was one of the best hitters in baseball.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#38 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:19 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:…but we have a farm system that produced talent and is producing talent and was, and could again be, used in trades.

Who has come up through our farm system under this regime other than Bo, Kirk, and Manoah? The latter two are coming off atrocious seasons (was Kirk's half season of good baseball just a hot streak?).

We have a couple of intriguing prospects still (Tiedemann and Orelvis), like every team, but we're so thin it doesn't make sense to trade them. We could use some of the younger kids as trade bait, but again, we're thin on talent in the minors and it's not wise to empty the cupboard out further.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#39 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:34 am

Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Read on Twitter

A Big No to offering Bellinger a massive deal. He had a great comeback year building up his value, but people forget how awful he was in the prior 3 seasons (hitting .210 last year, .165 in 2021, and .239 in 2020). I would rather just go with Varsho in CF, and try to add another Left Fielder in a trade that is a decent enough defender, but a good hitter to complement Varsho in CF. I would not mind Teoscar returning as DH, depending on what type of contract he is looking at. He had 26 homers and 93 RBI (very identical to Vlad), and for 6-7 weeks was one of the best hitters in baseball.

I don't disagree. However, we need an infusion of hitting talent badly, and the options (both internally and on the market) are underwhelming. I don't think we can go into next season with this same roster (minus Chapman). And I don't think Shatkins can take the risk as another failed season could spell their end.

If they could land a talented bat via trade, that would obviously be preferable. But given the state of our farm system and this FO's track record on the trade market, I'm not holding my breath.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,422

Post#40 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:52 am

If Guillermo is back next year, I'll watch even fewer games than I did this year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."

Return to Toronto Blue Jays