ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Shohei Ohtani Thread (Update: Ohtani signs with Dodgers 10 years, $700 million)

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Official Shohei Ohtani Thread (Update: Ohtani signs with Dodgers 10 years, $700 million) 

Post#281 » by dagger » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:09 pm

SharoneWright wrote:It was reported before the Morosi tweet that it was Robert Herjavec on that flight. A CAA client.

The Jays should have put 2+ 2 together tout suite. And (level 1) directly updated the fans on their own social media OR.. (level 2) told CAA and Ohtani to go f themselves.

And it's why I'm likely never forgiving Ohtani himself --- for willingly engaging in a ruse, as opposed to on-the-level negotiations.

It wasn't going to matter, people would have rationalized that the Jays were just being cautious whatever they were saying publicly. As for CAA, it doesn't help their level of trust with potential clients. Say what you like about Scott Boras, he drives the hardest bargains, but will deliver his client, or not engage with a team.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Official Shohei Ohtani Thread (Update: Ohtani signs with Dodgers 10 years, $700 million) 

Post#282 » by SharoneWright » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:23 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:It was reported before the Morosi tweet that it was Robert Herjavec on that flight. A CAA client.

The Jays should have figured that out tout suite. And (level 1) directly updated the fans on their own social media OR.. (level 2) told CAA and Ohtani to go f themselves.

And it's why I'm likely never forgiving Ohtani himself --- for willingly engaging in a ruse, as opposed to on-the-level negotiations.

What’s unforgivable? Teams looking to make trades use other teams as leverage all the time. No one calls that unethical or unforgivable, they call it smart negotiating.

The flight took on a life of its own, but it’s still just a few hours (in negotiations that had been ongoing for months or a least weeks.) I doubt the Jays felt that making some public statement about it mattered much, or was really their call to make. It’s not their fault we went crazy. And it would also just be weird for a team to issue some categorical statement about who is and who is not onboard a flight, especially when they didn’t really have any info unavailable to the public. We always want someone to blame in these situations because we feel victimized. But honestly, of all the parties involved, we ourselves hold the only real protection from these overreactions. And to a degree being a fan is submitting yourself to emotional roller coasters voluntarily, not sure how this aspect grades out all that differently.

Oh, emotionally I’ll be fine. I don’t need Ohtani on my team. Never did. But I don’t like liars. And you can call it leverage, or what have you, but there was a lot of lying. The lying created artificial hype and buzz in Toronto, which pressured both the Blue Jays to come through, and the Dodgers to up their offer after they had already made the decision. Sleazy, successful, and disreputable.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#283 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:28 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

The Jays should have figured that out tout suite. And (level 1) directly updated the fans on their own social media OR.. (level 2) told CAA and Ohtani to go f themselves.

What’s unforgivable? Teams looking to make trades use other teams as leverage all the time. No one calls that unethical or unforgivable, they call it smart negotiating.

The flight took on a life of its own, but it’s still just a few hours (in negotiations that had been ongoing for months or a least weeks.) I doubt the Jays felt that making some public statement about it mattered much, or was really their call to make. It’s not their fault we went crazy. And it would also just be weird for a team to issue some categorical statement about who is and who is not onboard a flight, especially when they didn’t really have any info unavailable to the public. We always want someone to blame in these situations because we feel victimized. But honestly, of all the parties involved, we ourselves hold the only real protection from these overreactions. And to a degree being a fan is submitting yourself to emotional roller coasters voluntarily, not sure how this aspect grades out all that differently.

Oh, emotionally I’ll be fine. I don’t need Ohtani on my team. Never did. But I don’t like liars. And you can call it leverage, or what have you, but there was a lot of lying. The lying created artificial hype and buzz in Toronto, which pressured both the Blue Jays to come through, and the Dodgers to up their offer after they had already made the decision. Sleazy, successful, and disreputable.

Teams lie. All the time. What does a vote of confidence mean in pro sports, and why? We excuse teams lying as strategic, why not players?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#284 » by SharoneWright » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:14 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Teams lie. All the time. What does a vote of confidence mean in pro sports, and why? We excuse teams lying as strategic, why not players?

Well not to be too pedantic about it... One is a game that involves deception. The other is a billion dollar business deal. Real money. Real people. Real economies. Real jobs. Real secondary and tertiary effects.

If you lied to me that you were holding pocket kings, I'd say well played. If you stole the deed on my house or cheated with my wife, my reaction would be different.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#285 » by polo007 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,460

Post#286 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:49 pm

circumvent anyone
joke
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,228

Post#287 » by Madvillainy2004 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:06 pm

Lmao I just heard the sounds of a lockout brewing. Rosenthal and Heyman said it was good for baseball tho.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,349

Post#288 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:15 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:circumvent anyone
joke
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

It's not circumventing anything. There's a clause in the CBA that specifically allows teams to do this (although perhaps there shouldn't be).

I'd expect the Dodgers to now sign Yamamoto with the money they don't have to use on Shohei.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#289 » by Ado05 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:17 pm

Genius move for the Dodgers.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#290 » by polo007 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#291 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
joke
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

It's not circumventing anything. There's a clause in the CBA that specifically allows teams to do this (although perhaps there shouldn't be).

I'd expect the Dodgers to now sign Yamamoto with the money they don't have to use on Shohei.

that's was circumventing is , its a loophole

its a joke
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,220

Post#292 » by LLJ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:28 pm

We're not too far off from the first billion dollar contract at this rate
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#293 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:29 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
joke
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

its a joke

It's just an express part of the CBA:

Read on Twitter
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#294 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:30 pm

LLJ wrote:We're not too far off from the first billion dollar contract at this rate

Virtually nobody would defer that kind of money 10 years later though. Shohei is losing tons by doing this.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#295 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:33 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:It's not circumventing anything. There's a clause in the CBA that specifically allows teams to do this (although perhaps there shouldn't be).

its a joke

It's just an express part of the CBA:

Read on Twitter

you are circumventing the CBT by doing this. its a loophole.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#296 » by SharoneWright » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
LLJ wrote:We're not too far off from the first billion dollar contract at this rate

Virtually nobody would defer that kind of money 10 years later though. Shohei is losing tons by doing this.

Correct. The interest alone..... he must really have hated Toronto.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#297 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

he'll at least save on Cali tax if he puts his primary residence in texas or florida after the 10 years
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#298 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:36 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Remember that he also left a year early in Japan too rather than waiting one more year to become a true free agent, which likely cost him hundreds of millions of dollars.

He just doesn't seem to much care about maximizing his earnings.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#299 » by Yeezus_ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:38 pm

I know he's doing this to help the team sign more free agents but deferring $680M 10 years down the road is quite strange. He's losing out on so much money because of it. This helps these billionaire owners more than anything.
Yeezy SZN approaching
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#300 » by SharoneWright » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:40 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Virtually nobody would defer that kind of money 10 years later though. Shohei is losing tons by doing this.

Remember that he also left a year early in Japan too rather than waiting one more year to become a true free agent, which likely cost him hundreds of millions of dollars.

He just doesn't seem to much care about maximizing his earnings.

Honestly, I'll take a different tack. That's fine. That 's up to him. God bless. Be happy in Newport Beach.

But if that's true (and evidence supports it). Then don't screw a different franchise (or the perception of them, or their FO) with smoke and mirrors. He could have signed for 600M in LA pretty easily without the weird account or the lying.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays