The Final Homestand

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

The Final Homestand 

Post#1 » by Jollay » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Started with the first of four versus the Astros on Monday. Livan was cruising along, up 2-0, and the next thing you know the Nats commit three errors in the fifth inning alone to spark an eight-run Houston outburst.

The game was the worst-attended in Nationals' baseball history, at under 11,000. I couldn't sell two $22 tickets for $10 apiece, and I haven't been able to sell two for $5 apiece for tonight.

John Lannan goes for the Nats against JA Happ Tuesday night. As good as Roy Oswalt has been, Happ has been almost as good, at 6-2 with a 3.24 ERA.

Homestand concludes with three against the Braves and three against the Phillies.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: The Final Homestand 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Attendance will be better against the Braves and Phils.

Mostly empty seats is the norm....a shame, but the norm.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Jollay » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 pm

craig01 wrote:Attendance will be better against the Braves and Phils.

Mostly empty seats is the norm....a shame, but the norm.

And what would a Devil Rays guy know about empty seats??? Just kidding.

John Lannan gave up three in the first last night but was good after, and the Nats' bats finally woke up in a 8-4 win. Congrats to Tyler Clippard on notching his tenth win of the year to go along with 100Ks. Impressive stats for a reliever. For a while there it looked like Clip was either burnt out or in a prolonged slump, but he has rebounded nicely. Having an extended September 1 bullpen helps too.

Nats face Wandy Rodriguez and Nelson Figueroa to close out the series. Marquis and Detwiller go for the Nats.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Jollay » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Attendance was about 1,000 better Tuesday than Monday, but Abe was still able to find a good seat...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 am

Was there for tonight's game. Co-worker gave me four tickets, Diamond Club level. Really depressing turnout, maybe 8,000 people, if that. The last game I went to was I believe Strasburg, I mean, the Nats vs. White Sox and the entire stadium was packed. But yeah, definitely depressing.

I also saw Stan Kasten walk by. He walks with a limp and the guy looks ROUGH in person. Like he's physically ill or something.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Jollay » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:01 am

Rafael122 wrote:Was there for tonight's game. Co-worker gave me four tickets, Diamond Club level. Really depressing turnout, maybe 8,000 people, if that. The last game I went to was I believe Strasburg, I mean, the Nats vs. White Sox and the entire stadium was packed. But yeah, definitely depressing.

I also saw Stan Kasten walk by. He walks with a limp and the guy looks ROUGH in person. Like he's physically ill or something.

That's interesting. I hadn't seen him in person in a while, since the early season I believe, but I hadn't noticed that. Shook his hand then as well. Maybe the season has worn on him.

Guess the Nats set a new attendance low tonight. Sounds like you got some good seats, though. There's definitely deals to be had for these last few games, although as Craig mentions, attendance should be much better for the Braves and Phils.

Thursday should be sparse as well, I'm actually taking off work to try and get some autographs since its a 435 start.

NOTE: Oh yah, Nats win tonight 4-3. Espinosa with a two-run shot, Morse with a solo shot, Clippard with his 11th win, and Burnett with the save. Actually I see attendance made it to 12,213, so no low!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 am

Honestly, I don't know if it was him. He was in the field level seats, and he just walked away. He's kinda chubby? It could have been him, but I'm not sure. He walked with a limp, and the guy just looked worn down and tired. I wanted to say "hey Stan!" to see if he would respond, but...I chickened out.

But like I said, I got the Diamond club level seats from my co-worker because she's an Assistant and her boss has season tickets so she gives me the hook up every now and then. I had fun, Espinosa has tons of potential and I really think Morse needs to start next season. MAYBE he's the answer in right field, but the guy has legit 20 home run potential.

I also didn't know Ian Desmond's batting average was near .280. Last I had seen, it was around .250 or so, so he's really improved the last few months. Overall though, the vibe was just bad. I felt like I was watching a minor league baseball game, with the small crowd. 12,213 sounds REALLY optimistic.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Jollay » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Huh, well by coincidence I heard the Sports Junkies this morning ask Bob Carpenter about a rumor Kasten might step down because he's drained by the job (and the Lerners). He's not really chunky, kind of an above average height guy with medium build and little hair. Coulda been him though, who knows.

You're right about the minor league atmosphere. I believe you're also right about Morse, who could be the answer at first as well if the Nats can't get it done with Dunn. He definitely gives them options to chase an outfielder OR a first baseman in free agency.

My guess is they put more of a premium on outfield defense, though, but you could certainly lift Morse for a guy with better range in the late innings in the outfield as well. And Morse hasn't been bad out there.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by craig01 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Growing up as a Washington Senators fan, I can tell you about really small crowds.

I remember "family day saturdays" where the whole family could sit in the lower deck under the mezzanine at RFK for a grand total of $2. The Nats were still hardly able to break 5-6,000 during those games.

Ken McMullen 3b
Ed Brinkmann ss
Bernie Allen 2b
Dick Nen 1b
Frank Howard lf
Del Unser cf
Ed Stroud rf
Paul Casanova c

Casey Cox p
Jim Hannan p
Barry Moore p
Joe Coleman p
Dick Bosman p
Joe Grzenda p
Darrold Knowles p

They stunk, but it sure was fun....even with small crowds.

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Jollay » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, that's amazing. I have to agree with you, small crowds can be fun, though. And you're certainly heard if you yell something, that's for sure.

I feel like baseball is the only sport that has retained SOME affordibility at least, but two dollars? Wow.

Anyway, Nats manage to take three out of four from the Astros, even with Zimmerman and Dunn (sore hammy and HBP on arm) out of the lineup resting. Detwiller looked as good as I've seen him as a starter, keeping his pitch count down and doing well against a team that features alot of dangerous righties (Pence, Lee, Johnson). Danny Espinosa homers, as does Michael Morse and Roger Bernadina.

Braves tonight, who are all but done in the NL East race but amazingly (I think) still lead for the Wild Card as NL West teams can't stay consistent. Tim Hudson goes for the Braves tonight, who has absolutely dominated the Nats in four starts this year (2-0, 1.57 ERA). JZ for the Nats.

And also--it is official, Stan Kasten will step down with the Nats at season's end. Have to wonder if Rafael saw him, and if he may be sick or something.

Or just sick of dealing with the Lerners.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Jollay » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Nats surprisingly pummel Hudson and the Braves Friday 8-3 on the strength of two Dunn homers and five RBI. Today it's Derek Lowe versus Yunesky Maya. The Nats have had success hitting Lowe, although not last time (eight shutout innings, 12 Ks in Atlanta).

Blow the Whistle--Nyjer returns today!!!!

66-88 with eight to play. .500 ball gets the Nats to 70!
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Jollay » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Nats are blanked by Derek Lowe and the Braves on Saturday 5-0. Nats get a rook pitcher today, as they face Brandon Beachy in his second career start. Livo (10-12, 3.75 ERA) goes for the Nats. He may have worn down some since his brilliant start, but he's still generally been getting it done.

Ryan Zimmerman may be done for the year with a strained rib muscle, and the Nats will honor Bobby Cox today before the game.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:21 pm

70 is still within reach.

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Jollay » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Nats win 4-2. They get good pitching from Livo and then top-notch pitching from Sean Burnett (2.0 IP, zero hits allowed, first win of the year) and Drew Storen (fifth save).

Interesting thought processes in the seventh when the Nats won it. First and second with two outs and Nyjer Morgan at-bat, Bobby Cox brings in the overused but effective Jonny Venters. Venters can't find the strike zone and walks Morgan, and then Ian Desmond hits a two-run single.

I think one legit criticism of Jim Riggleman is his offensive faith in Morgan in such situations with right-handed pinch-hitters available, but it turned out in this case. Of course when you have Kevin Mench and Justin Maxwell not even hitting .150 on the bench I can understand it, but Riggleman has done it before with guys like Michael Morse on the bench. Oh well, it turned out this time.

BTW, Rick Ankiel was the only thing going for the Braves today, although Beachy ended up pitching well after a rough start. He had both RBIs, one off a solo shot, and if you've never seen his arm live in the outfield- wow. In the second he gunned somebody from mid-center going to the plate on a flyout that was almost unbelievable. Not that he got him, but how hard it got to the catcher and that he got him so easily. It was one of the few plays I'll remember live at the Park this year that amazed me.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Jollay » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Roy Halladay takes on John Lannan tonight at Nats Park. The Phillies usually demolish Lannan, although he was finally solid against them his last time out.

Tough to imagine the Nats can hang without Ryan Zimmerman, but the Phils might start resting starters soon, and they won't gas Halladay most likely...
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Jollay » Fri Oct 1, 2010 2:43 pm

Fun way to end the season at Nats Park, although there was no spectacular finish to the home slate as there was last year (Maxwell's game-winner off K-Rod). Nats lost two out of three, as Halladay clinched the division with a complete game gem on Monday.

The Nats did get some excitement of Tuesday, as an upper-deck Dunn blast off Jose Contreras won it for the Nats, but then in the finale the Phils' third-string crushed the Nats and Ross Detwiller.

Got to witness the debut of the Phillies' Brian Bocock. Good thing you don't play next to the bleachers, kid.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by craig01 » Mon Oct 4, 2010 12:42 am

Nats finish with 69 wins.

I think the future looks somewhat promising......but I stress the "somewhat" part.

Return to Washington Nationals