ImageImageImage

ATKINS OUT 2 MONTHS

Moderator: THE J0KER

SJustice1621
Junior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by SJustice1621 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

AI was taking just as many shots AT PG. So putting him there, won't cause him to take less shots, and he has been handling it a lot at SG.

I still see him doing the pick and roll the last couple of games, where someone on the team sets a pick, then rolls, and never sees the ball. Great passing on AI's part there.

I disagree. Every since AC has entered the lineup AI's shots have went from 17-18 to 20-21 shots a game and increasing

Im not trying to argue im just saying what I've noticed.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#22 » by Powder Blue » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 am

All you JR fans out there can rejoice now, looks like JR will get ANOTHER chance to prove his worth to GK.
noone
Analyst

Post#23 » by noone » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:45 am

AI was taking just as many shots AT PG. So putting him there, won't cause him to take less shots, and he has been handling it a lot at SG.

At SG Iverson has averaged roughly 21 fga per game. At PG he was averaging roughly 18 fga per game.

Probably the most significant thing about this is that ideally it gives Smith 2 months to prove himself. Karl probably won't give him that much time, but at the very least it assures that Smith will get some kind of playing time coming up soon. The rest is up to him to maintain those minutes.

I still see him doing the pick and roll the last couple of games, where someone on the team sets a pick, then rolls, and never sees the ball. Great passing on AI's part there.

That's actually been a recurring problem most if not the entire season. Iverson has too much confidence in his own game and when he sees the defenders scrambling or off him, he feels the best shot will come from him attacking the basket hard. It works at times, but other times he would be much better off passing it off as Melo/Nene are a lot of times left wide open. If Iverson were to mix it up more, it would make the pick and roll that much more deadly because the defense would always be left guessing. Now it seems like the scouting report says Iverson will hold the ball on pick and rolls/pops which may be why you see both defenders rushing Iverson while Nene/Melo are left wide open. Iverson is partially to blame and Karl is partially to blame. It's Karl's job to make sure Iverson knows that he needs to pass off in those situations at least 50% of the time. I have a hard time believing Karl can't get it done.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#24 » by sodmoraes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 am

Powder Blue wrote:All you JR fans out there can rejoice now, looks like JR will get ANOTHER chance to prove his worth to GK.

dont think so. diawara will play. karl prefers to play najera at sg than give smith a shot... :nonono:
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#25 » by Powder Blue » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 am

sodmoraes wrote:dont think so. diawara will play. karl prefers to play najera at sg than give smith a shot... :nonono:

I'm not a huge JR fan but if it's between JR and Diawara i'm on the JR train all the way downhill.
:banghead:
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#26 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did anyone besides the FO think it wasn't a mistake at the time? :nonono:

I thought it was a nice pickup, but then what....they kind of let it hang and now it's fallen off.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 5,040

Post#27 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 am

At SG Iverson has averaged roughly 21 fga per game. At PG he was averaging roughly 18 fga per game.

Ah okay, just seemed like AI was handling it and shooting at the same rate in games. Never bothered to look at the actual numbers, lol.
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#28 » by corona » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 am

ATKINS OUT 2 MONTHS

well...at least it wasn't someone who was contributing positively to the team.

the curse has been pretty nice to us so far this season.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 5,040

Post#29 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:23 am

I wouldn't blame Atkins on the curse, but the team playing him hurt in the preseason, then playing him when he obviously wasn't healthy over the last couple of weeks.
MELO4MVP
Banned User

Post#30 » by MELO4MVP » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 am

do not insult other posters. -corona

WE AT NO POINT AND TIME WANT A.I. DECIDING WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE BALL. THIS YEAR HE'S BEEN A RICH MAN BOYKINS MEANING FREEZE EVERYONE OUT UNLESS HE HAS TO PASS.

I'm praying that Karl moves JR back to pg. He was great there.
SJustice1621
Junior

Post#31 » by SJustice1621 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 am

MELO4MVP wrote:edited

WE AT NO POINT AND TIME WANT A.I. DECIDING WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE BALL. THIS YEAR HE'S BEEN A RICH MAN BOYKINS MEANING FREEZE EVERYONE OUT UNLESS HE HAS TO PASS.

I'm praying that Karl moves JR back to pg. He was great there.

do not insult other posters. -corona

:rofl:

You just lost all the credibilty you NEVER had. :noway:
AI4life07
Junior

Post#32 » by AI4life07 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 am

This is great news he was playing horribly. Now hopefully JR Smith can finally see some playing time. I just hope if he does get the playing time he deserves he takes full advantage of it by showing karl just how valuable he really is to this team.
almost famous
Rookie

Post#33 » by almost famous » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 pm

Well at least we still have that million we saved by signing this guy over Blake... :nonono:
DrewDawg0808
Senior

Post#34 » by DrewDawg0808 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 pm

plasticman32 wrote:George Karl: "Hey Mike Wilks, remember us? Funny Story, you wouldn't believe what just happened"...

Mike Wilks was signed by the Wizards a couple of weeks ago.
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#35 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 pm

DrewDawg0808 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mike Wilks was signed by the Wizards a couple of weeks ago.

Wasn't he let go from the Wizards shortly after that?
DrewDawg0808
Senior

Post#36 » by DrewDawg0808 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:22 pm

yep, i just found it on nba.com i was searching through the archives. srry my bad. :D
MELO4MVP
Banned User

Post#37 » by MELO4MVP » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:21 pm

SJustice1621 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
edited

:rofl:

You just lost all the credibilty you NEVER had. :noway:

Did you not see how much better the Nuggets played when JR was running the point for about 10 minutes a game?
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#38 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 pm

MELO4MVP wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did you not see how much better the Nuggets played when JR was running the point for about 10 minutes a game?

It was definitely something worth developing. It forces him to pass the ball. It gives him responsibility he doesn't have at SG. I mean, we're talking about how to work with JR. If he just had consistent minutes he could develop his game.

And anyway, we're also talking about how to share minutes at pg so Carter and AI don't get worn down. Sometimes you look at someone's game and know he's not ideal for the position - but at least he gives the others resting a chance to get their wind back.

There were times when he had AI and we had Carter running the point where we were getting blown out against the Suns. If you need to throw someone else in there....who else is there? At least we can say we had everyone ready to play if they got minutes.

The result is still a result of who they put on the team.

I would go with Carter/AI starting backcourt, transition to AI/Yak, try out JR/Yak or JR/AI, and then finish off with probably Carter/AI or just whoever has done the best that night.
DNIsLeGiT
Junior

Post#39 » by DNIsLeGiT » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:21 am

I don't know whether to be sad or happy,im in between for now,when chucky was out on the court he was obviously still hurting from the groin so when his shot didn't fall he pretty much was useless for us.Hopefully karl will give jr and yakouba some more playing time so they can crack the rotation and give us an even deeper bench.
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#40 » by pickaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:03 am

Let's hope he's a nice surprise come playoff time. He won't be Nugget-seasoned, but he should know how to shoot the ball and he knows what the injury is now. That 8th guy to come off the bench and hit a couple of 3s can be the guy to help string along a win.

Return to Denver Nuggets