ImageImageImage

Extra PG

Moderator: THE J0KER

Who should the Nuggets sign to fill Chucky's role?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Mike Wilks
No votes
Earl Boykins
4%
Stand pat
12%
Stand pat
12%
Trade for Sam Cassell
16%
Trade for Andre Miller
16%
Use JR Smith
36%
Go for Payton
4%

Total votes: 25

pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#21 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm

DrewDawg0808 wrote:well, it said he was, but i went to their site and it didnt say his name so idk.

Wilks was waived Dec. 31 by the Wizards.

RMN - ((("With point guard Chucky Atkins out indefinitely while awaiting hernia surgery, don't expect to see shooting guard J.R. Smith serving as an emergency fill-in.

"That would be a lot of fun - putting your worst turnover man per minute at point guard," Karl said. "That sounds like a fan call-in show (suggestion)."

Smith has fallen out of the regular rotation of late. He played less than five minutes of garbage time Monday; it was his first appearance in four games.

"It's frustrating, but it's not too bad when you're winning," Smith said. "As long as we're winning, I don't care if I don't play at all."
)))))) - RMN

He should care a little bit? It sounds like the right attitude, but it doesn't sound like Karl is convinced he can see the floor yet.
DrewDawg0808
Senior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by DrewDawg0808 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

yeah, i saw it on the nba.com archive, my bad!
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#23 » by Powder Blue » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Post says...
"When it was suggested to Karl that reserve guard J.R. Smith could try his hand at the point, the coach said, "That would be a lot of fun, putting your worst turnover-per-minute man at point guard."

As for the personal talks with Karl about his progress, Smith said: "I've talked to George three times this year. It ain't really working no more. I'm going to go keep working, doing whatever I need to do to play."

meloivynene already posted the first little paragragh. You guys really thinking playing the worst TO per min player at pg is a good idea??? I say re-sign wilks, some D-Leaguer or maybe try and get cassell. We can't afford any of the high priced names u all are throwing out there unless we trade away a core player.
DrewDawg0808
Senior

Post#24 » by DrewDawg0808 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

they should try jr at the point, he did good against the cavs, and im sure that if he was at the point, hed be more disciplined and a reason that he is a high turnover to assist (or per minute) person is because the o doesnt go through him , he doesnt get the ball enough, and he dont play enough period. I say, either play him at point, or ai. My line up would be

PG:Smith
SG:AI
SF:Melo
PF:Kmart
C: Camby

plus, jr would be able to dominated bc he is a sg/sf playing pg and hes bigger, karl should just go on a trial basis and see what happens, its not like he could be criticized for his coaching anymore than he already has, so he should just try it.
DrewDawg0808
Senior

Post#25 » by DrewDawg0808 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 pm

obtw who ever said melo cant talk/type on yardbarker-read this

http://yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/DAMN/38586

its marshawn lynch from the Buffalo Bills (great running back, bad typer/talker)
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#26 » by pickaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:50 pm

I just think if you look back at JR's turnover while on the Hornets, it's considerably lower and I think it's partly a confidence thing - at least in the sense that if he had more minutes and was held accountable during those minutes he could smooth out any turnovers.

He's hardly doing worse than Melo on turnovers per minute.

I also think that Karl, recognizing this as an issue, has not done much to improve it or help improve it by the looks of it. He's just leaving JR alone and then lambasting him in the media. Use him or trade him...
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#27 » by Teens On Acid » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

wow. GK does it again. way to build confidence.
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#28 » by corona » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:58 am

meloivynene wrote:I just think if you look back at JR's turnover while on the Hornets, it's considerably lower and I think it's partly a confidence thing - at least in the sense that if he had more minutes and was held accountable during those minutes he could smooth out any turnovers.

He's hardly doing worse than Melo on turnovers per minute.

I also think that Karl, recognizing this as an issue, has not done much to improve it or help improve it by the looks of it. He's just leaving JR alone and then lambasting him in the media. Use him or trade him...

jr actually has a bit better a/to ratio than melo, and averages the same amount of turnovers per 48 minutes.

maybe karl should bench melo for a couple games? errrrr....weeks.

the reason jr's turnovers are higher than new orleans or the beginning of last year is that the coaching staff is asking him to be more than a spot shooter and dunker. if you ask a young player to be a driver and to distribute more...etc, you have to expect their turnovers to increase pretty rapidly as they figure out what they can and can't do. kleiza's turnovers per 48 would be about 6 if he was asked to do what jr's been doing when he's on the court.

pretty weak move by karl to call him out in the papers for it. i guess he expects a 3:1 a/to ratio from his 21 year old talent, while playing point guard, and while being asked to do more than be a shooter for the first time in his career.

:rolleyes:
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#29 » by Powder Blue » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:35 am

It's not like GK has never played JR, I think JR has gotten plenty of chances to play and he always F's em up. How many chances is Karl supposed to give him. JR may have more "potential" than a guy like Kleiza but Kleiza has shown much more in his limited minutes and that's y he plays every night.
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#30 » by pickaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:43 am

Powder Blue wrote:It's not like GK has never played JR, I think JR has gotten plenty of chances to play and he always F's em up. How many chances is Karl supposed to give him. JR may have more "potential" than a guy like Kleiza but Kleiza has shown much more in his limited minutes and that's y he plays every night.

Wouldn't call those chances to be successful - more like chances to not **** up. When JR is constantly trying to not **** up, he's more likely to because he doesn't know if he does the right thing if he will get rewarded or even praised. Part of coaching is to at least acknowledge the things he is doing right - something Karl hasn't done, at least publicly, which would be JR's greatest pleasure hearing praise publicly.

He's gonna need guidance. Even when he's mature in some areas he's still not in others. They traded or benched everyone else away that might have helped when it was needed (when it was needed), and they're thin when it comes to youthful energy and pure excitement to just be on the court. Feel good about what you're doing, y'know?

JR's happy to be there. Harness that energy. Part of learning is making mistakes. JR's also watching these other guys not getting benched for their mistakes. That's a bad lesson right there.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 5,040

Post#31 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:47 am

Powder Blue wrote:It's not like GK has never played JR, I think JR has gotten plenty of chances to play and he always F's em up. How many chances is Karl supposed to give him. JR may have more "potential" than a guy like Kleiza but Kleiza has shown much more in his limited minutes and that's y he plays every night.

How has JR f'ed up this season?

He's supposedly been coming to practice on time. Was shooting really well in November, trying to pass the ball more, put effort in on D, etc.

Karl is just a total a-hole. It's that simple.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#32 » by Powder Blue » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:10 am

Nobody said the NBA is fair, JR isn't gonna get 20 min a night to show his worth to the team. He got his min early in the season and obviously didn't show enough to get off the bench. GK may not be the best coach in the NBA but he knows how to put a winning team on the floor and the highest TO per min guy isn't a part of it. U can't baby JR at the mid-point of the season because all these games are important and teaching him to play point will cost us wins.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#33 » by Powder Blue » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 am

Why does everyone on this board love the under-performing streaky 21 year old SG and hate the coach that brought Denver out of the dumpster and into the playoffs the last 4 years. Playing JR will not get us out of the first round. Every 3 pt streak he goes on is equaled with a string of turnovers that turn a small deficit into a big one.

Some of you new folks really don't appreciate what GK has done for this franchise. :banghead: :banghead:
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#34 » by pickaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 am

Powder Blue wrote:Why does everyone on this board love the under-performing streaky 21 year old SG and hate the coach that brought Denver out of the dumpster and into the playoffs the last 4 years. Playing JR will not get us out of the first round. Every 3 pt streak he goes on is equaled with a string of turnovers that turn a small deficit into a big one.

Some of you new folks really don't appreciate what GK has done for this franchise. :banghead: :banghead:

Name the streaks, please. Recent ones. We're talking about progress, not the past. JR's got a contract. He gets called out, makes improvements, and has no window with which to show his improvements. Make him work for it.

I appreciate what GK has done so far, but then he also drops the ball. When he drops the ball, it's even worse because he has the ability to make the right calls.

If GK played Khouba, or Von Wafer, or whoever off the bench for 5-10 minutes that's what I'm talking about. So JR's done something to piss Karl off - the whole team suffers? Even DJ got garbage time consistently.

I mean, when we're calling JR a 21 yr old that screws up every time he goes out there, we're also saying he has no ability to improve like NBA players often do. He made it to the NBA, he's had some really good nights, he shows more and more signs on the court that he's listening - we're talking about this like JR is a worthless player who has no ability.

When the exact opposite is true. Unbridled talent, maybe.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,349

Post#35 » by The Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:04 am

Powder Blue wrote:Why does everyone on this board love the under-performing streaky 21 year old SG and hate the coach that brought Denver out of the dumpster and into the playoffs the last 4 years. Playing JR will not get us out of the first round. Every 3 pt streak he goes on is equaled with a string of turnovers that turn a small deficit into a big one.

Do you mind telling me how Karl brought this team out of the dumps, when they have accomplished the exact same level they had the year before he arrived. While you are at it, can you also explain to me how that is improving the team when the payroll and talent have both doubled while the team he is coach of has treaded water?
UNLVNugsFan
Rookie

Post#36 » by UNLVNugsFan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:34 am

I miss the days where this board did not have to devolve every thread into a "JR vs. GK" or "AI vs. Melo" discussion. It really is getting old.

As far as the actual question goes, I of course would love to get Dre back, but I don't think it is likely. I would like to see JR get more minutes overall, but not at PG. I think Payton is over the hill, but has experience with Karl, so could be worth the small risk, but I would prefer Cassell.

So I voted Cassell.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#37 » by Powder Blue » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 am

The Rebel wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Do you mind telling me how Karl brought this team out of the dumps, when they have accomplished the exact same level they had the year before he arrived. While you are at it, can you also explain to me how that is improving the team when the payroll and talent have both doubled while the team he is coach of has treaded water?

The nuggets were garbage melo's second year. Bzdelik got fired, Michael Cooper replaced him and didn't cut the mustard. They were 17-25 when GK took over and finished 49-33!! U can't blame GK for the payroll swell and no improvement when the big money bigs NEVER play together.
Teens On Acid
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#38 » by Teens On Acid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 am

regular season win tally means squat in the face of a .200 playoff record. Karl can't help the team in the playoffs..

maybe it will be different this year .... if it is, it will be because of AI, not Karl's coaching genius.
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#39 » by djtruebeliever » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:22 am

Powder Blue wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The nuggets were garbage melo's second year. Bzdelik got fired, Michael Cooper replaced him and didn't cut the mustard. They were 17-25 when GK took over and finished 49-33!! U can't blame GK for the payroll swell and no improvement when the big money bigs NEVER play together.

you can blame him for terrible rotations and overplaying certain players to the point of putting them at greater risk for injury...
I'm in Kokokiko!
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by el loco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 am

djtruebeliever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you can blame him for terrible rotations and overplaying certain players to the point of putting them at greater risk for injury...

:nod: You got that right

Return to Denver Nuggets