ImageImageImage

Season over?

Moderator: THE J0KER

eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Season over? 

Post#1 » by eathb_au » Mon Dec 8, 2014 7:09 am

If we're realistic, we have to go on a hell of a winning streak to start climbing the West conference standings, which is absolutely crazy this season.

At what point right now do you say that it's time to blowup this roster or make changes to the coaching staff and/or front office?
megawilddaddy
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Season over? 

Post#2 » by megawilddaddy » Mon Dec 8, 2014 8:40 am

In my opinion they need to fix:

- poor execution percentage
- play more in the paint, not shoot always from the perimeter
- wrong coach decisions (such as playing JJ as Center)
- more ball movement. Now they often seem slow and not knowing what to do with the ball.
- fix the Faried issue

Once this is fixed, Denver is a solid playoff team.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#3 » by The Rebel » Mon Dec 8, 2014 1:36 pm

The time to make changes to the coaching staff was after the 2nd Portland game, you still could now and have a chance as they are only 2 games back in the loss column so they are not way out like it feels at times.

This team has a problem in that you cannot rebuild without totally blowing up the team, everybody outside of Faried, Lawson, and the Rookies are gone over the next 2 years if you try to rebuild, so you may as well start trading them.

Faried does not seem into playing for Shaw, so if you are keeping Shaw you have to trade him before nobody wants him at all.

Personally I would be firing Shaw, than give it a few weeks to see what you have before the trade deadline, when you can make decisions on personnel.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#4 » by StunnaStan » Mon Dec 8, 2014 1:44 pm

if the nuggets decide to keep shaw over this season, then i think we need to blow the whole team up and construct a roster that fits into what shaw is trying to do. outside of jusuf nurkic and gary harris, and alonzo gee , i would prefer we get rid of everybody at this point.

we have 2 centers with decent trade value, faried's value is up there, hickson and arthur just suck, danilo gallanari is washed up and we need to trade him sooner rather than later, wilson has been playing decent but hes still tradable, randy foye is garb, AA just doesnt have it, ty lawson is good but his size allows every pg in the league to do whatever they want, nate robinson is cool when hes making shots and cringe worthy when hes missing em.

i think the 1st move/s we should make is getting rid of shaw, foye, arthur, hickson, danilo, javale
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by The Rebel » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:23 pm

I disagree that Gallo is washed up, he is still not back to himself, but he is damn good on defense, and he is improving on offense.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by StunnaStan » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:13 pm

The Rebel wrote:I disagree that Gallo is washed up, he is still not back to himself, but he is damn good on defense, and he is improving on offense.

prior to his injury, hes shot 41% for 4 consecutive seasons. hes now shooting 33%. i know his explosion is going to take time to come back, but danilo flat out cannot make in game jumpers. you always hear about how good of a shooter he is, but i havent seen it in the last 4-5 seasons hes been in denver. outside of freethrows, hes one of the worst in game shooters. darrell arthur is more of a consistent shooter than danilo right now and it pains me to say that.

as far as his defense is concerned, who is danilo locking up that makes him get praise defensively? ive noticed hes been getting a couple weak side blocks but come on. were 9 and 11 so i think its time we start assesing the issues with the team without sugar coating the obvious. we have short pgs, shooting guards who cant shoot, small fowards who are slow, soft, and extremely inconsistent, undersized pfs, and if it wasnt for mozgov, you wouldnt even know denver has 7footers.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#7 » by Powder Blue » Mon Dec 8, 2014 7:16 pm

Season Over? No I don't think so, but if JJ is playing a lot at the 5 and Nate is the backup PG it's going to be .500 for us.

Coach: Given that Shaw wasn't fired a couple weeks ago I don't think that he gets fired if the team keeps playing .500ish ball. I can get behind a plan but I'm not sure firing Shaw for Melvin Hunt the rest of the year is a plan.

Roster: Dec 15th is when newly signed players are avaliable to be traded. We could start to see some action then. What are we bringing back would be my concern. As Rebel said to re-build is to blow up, gotta have some sort of direction if you're going to do that.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#8 » by tstrick33 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:08 pm

We're only 2.5 games out of the playoffs with 62 games remaining, plenty of time to make up that difference. When Ty is aggressive and attacking is when we do our best. I was against the Faried signing and still am because he's not Shaw's type of player. He does a have a trade-able contract so I expect Faried to be shipped out for a better half court PF.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by The Rebel » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:41 pm

StunnaStan wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I disagree that Gallo is washed up, he is still not back to himself, but he is damn good on defense, and he is improving on offense.

prior to his injury, hes shot 41% for 4 consecutive seasons. hes now shooting 33%. i know his explosion is going to take time to come back, but danilo flat out cannot make in game jumpers. you always hear about how good of a shooter he is, but i havent seen it in the last 4-5 seasons hes been in denver. outside of freethrows, hes one of the worst in game shooters. darrell arthur is more of a consistent shooter than danilo right now and it pains me to say that.

as far as his defense is concerned, who is danilo locking up that makes him get praise defensively? ive noticed hes been getting a couple weak side blocks but come on. were 9 and 11 so i think its time we start assesing the issues with the team without sugar coating the obvious. we have short pgs, shooting guards who cant shoot, small fowards who are slow, soft, and extremely inconsistent, undersized pfs, and if it wasnt for mozgov, you wouldnt even know denver has 7footers.

I personally have never said he was a great shooter, but Gallo is a career .573 TS% scorer, which means he is well above average at scoring. This year he is struggling to get his shot going but has been an effective player on defense. the Nuggets defense is 15.3 points per 100 possessions better with Gallo in the game than out which is clearly the best on the team. Just because he has not been starting or placed with against many starters does not mean he has not been very good at defense. He also has the best simple rating which is an adjusted plus minus. For a coaching staff that supposedly wants to be a defensive team having him play as few minutes they do is a joke.

I will give you that the team is inconsistent, our only PG is undersized, hell even our PFs are undersized, but Afflalo can't shoot? Also it is not the players fault that Shaw is an idiot and will not play the 7 footers, that is on the coaching staff.
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#10 » by pickaxe » Mon Dec 8, 2014 10:32 pm

eathb_au wrote:If we're realistic, we have to go on a hell of a winning streak to start climbing the West conference standings, which is absolutely crazy this season.

At what point right now do you say that it's time to blowup this roster or make changes to the coaching staff and/or front office?

Well, even if it was extremely smart to believe ^ that the season is even close to ending, when we're trying to enjoy basketball in late winter early spring ....it's going to make it harder to ever get into a season enough to give it a chance. I never count a season out until we are deep into it. :nod:

The effort factor still has a chance. The talent is there, just spread out more.

put the ball in the basket like this
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by StunnaStan » Tue Dec 9, 2014 12:00 am

james harden shoots 41% but when you take into consideration his freethrows then it makes sense but affalo doesnt get to the line. that considered, his fg% is more representative of what hes doing on the court. hes been our best player offensively thus far but if thats what hes shooting, its not good enough. he shot 45% in orlando, but i thought playing with better players he was familiar with would make it easier for him.
scottcarman
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#12 » by scottcarman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:14 am

I am so glad that we fired George Karl. This is so much better than making the playoffs every year.

Magic Johnson had it right, if we are going to lose then we should tank completely. How does barely making the playoffs or having a weak lottery pick help the team? It doesn't.

I will never understand how this board can defend the way the Nuggets organization treated a first ballot hall of fame coach. And he was obviously right, coaching does matter in this league.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#13 » by Powder Blue » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:04 am

scottcarman wrote:I am so glad that we fired George Karl. This is so much better than making the playoffs every year.

Magic Johnson had it right, if we are going to lose then we should tank completely. How does barely making the playoffs or having a weak lottery pick help the team? It doesn't.

I will never understand how this board can defend the way the Nuggets organization treated a first ballot hall of fame coach. And he was obviously right, coaching does matter in this league.

I agree with Magic's statement. Ultimately there is no value being in the middle of the pack. Being the 7th or 8th seed and only winning one or two first round games I'd consider just as middle of the pack as being a 9-12 seed.

If we're going to be honest most years the Nuggets are a middle of the pack, treadmill team. I'd only consider two rosters better than middle of the pack. The 09 squad that went to the WCF and the 2012 squad before Gallo got hurt, once he went out we were back to being a treadmill team and it showed in that series against Golden State.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 5:28 am

Powder Blue wrote:
scottcarman wrote:I am so glad that we fired George Karl. This is so much better than making the playoffs every year.

I agree with Magic's statement. Ultimately there is no value being in the middle of the pack. Being the 7th or 8th seed and only winning one or two first round games I'd consider just as middle of the pack as being a 9-12 seed.

If we're going to be honest most years the Nuggets are a middle of the pack, treadmill team. I'd only consider two rosters better than middle of the pack. The 09 squad that went to the WCF and the 2012 squad before Gallo got hurt, once he went out we were back to being a treadmill team and it showed in that series against Golden State.

Man, this is one of the most Jekyll and Hyde Nugget teams I have ever seen, even the 97 team had consistent effort even though they were devoid of talent. All I can say is WTF ?!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
scottcarman
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#15 » by scottcarman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Powder Blue wrote:

You must not have been a fan when Denver as an 8th seed upset Seattle as the 1 seed. It is WAY different making the playoffs every year than not making the playoffs, especially when you have a young team.
tstrick33
Junior

Post#16 » by tstrick33 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Lets hope this Thibodeau situation gets worse and leads to him getting fired. Would love to see Thibs instill some sort of defensive system in Denver.
tstrick33
Junior

Post#17 » by tstrick33 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Lets hope this Thibodeau situation gets worse and leads to him getting fired. Would love to see Thibs instill some sort of defensive system in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#18 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:39 pm

I could see Thibs here...course I thought Shaw would be an good coach too, what the heck do I know ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by StunnaStan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm looking at the current nba standing right now and if Denver were to blow up the team within the next week and a half, a top 6-10 pick is very realistic (not considering if we were to acquire more picks through trades). we all agree that the Denver Nuggets won't be making the playoffs this year. I came to terms with this season a month ago (Tim Connoly should of too smh). that being said, wouldn't preparing ahead of next season make the most sense giving our current situation?

Philly was blatant with their plan (nothing wrong with that) but when you look at NY, they didn't plan to be this bad although some could have guessed it. now as much as i don't like the Knicks, at least their organization said, "we're not good enough to win a championship, so were redoing the roster" within the 1st month and a half of the season. Us Nugget fans have had a season and a half sample of what to expect from our current roster (coach included). we have to call it like it is now.

From the moment the nuggs traded Carmelo, all the way up until George Karl got fired, the Nuggets always exceeded peoples expectations (more to the surprise of non-nugget fans). During that time frame, a question that was often asked was "how are the nuggets doing it?" I've heard multiple answers to that question, but i've always felt that if you watch the nuggs live in action, you would get your answer. and now that the nuggs are doing bad, i ask myself "why are the Nuggets doing this?" and just like back then, i watch the Nuggets play "live in action" and I get my answer.

The season is indeed over, but a couple of moves here and there can make the future A-LOT brighter.

PS: fire brian shaw
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#20 » by Powder Blue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 am

scottcarman wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:

You must not have been a fan when Denver as an 8th seed upset Seattle as the 1 seed. It is WAY different making the playoffs every year than not making the playoffs, especially when you have a young team.

I was....I was also a fan all those years that we were the 7-8 seed and we got bounced easily in the first round....which is what happens almost all the time. Being the 7-8 seed yearly isn't a bad thing, I'd just like to have a team that's better than that.

Return to Denver Nuggets