ImageImageImage

2016 Draft Talk

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: 2016 Draft Talk 

Post#101 » by skywalker33 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Felder is quick, can score and dish but I do worry about his D. Bembry, while I don't know a lot about him seems like a solid defender who would be great off the bench. He might be an early 2nd too, hope TC can pull off some more miracles in the 2nd round.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#102 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 am

Nuggets just interviewed their third prospect, one of my favorites prospects, SG Malachai Richardson.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#103 » by The Rebel » Sun May 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Anybody else hoping that if we get the number 2 pick and Ingram is taken 1st that we trade the pick? Trade back to like 4 or 5 and pick up a future 1st or 2?

The more I hear and read about Simmons the less I want him.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#104 » by RRFB » Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 pm

I'd still gladly take my chances on Simmons. He might have some character issues, but his talent is undeniable. Plus, the local media and "casual" Nuggets fanbase would rip the team to shreds if they landed in the top 2 and traded out of it. That would be a PR disaster. Simmons is the kind of high profile prospect this franchise needs. He'd get more people in the seats.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#105 » by TunaFish » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Very long odds to move up and who knows for certain what player is truly the best. Jokic came from no where! Very exciting time for Nugget's fans knowing the recent draft history and dreaming of another haul with 3 first round picks. I just wish the draft would get here.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by The Rebel » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

RRFB wrote:I'd still gladly take my chances on Simmons. He might have some character issues, but his talent is undeniable. Plus, the local media and "casual" Nuggets fanbase would rip the team to shreds if they landed in the top 2 and traded out of it. That would be a PR disaster. Simmons is the kind of high profile prospect this franchise needs. He'd get more people in the seats.

Unfortunately I think you are right, but I wish selling seats short term was not the main priority. Combo forwards with questionable work ethic and bad attitudes have a long history of busting and I would rather walk away with Murray or Heidle and a future lotto pick.
TunaFish wrote:Very long odds to move up and who knows for certain what player is truly the best. Jokic came from no where! Very exciting time for Nugget's fans knowing the recent draft history and dreaming of another haul with 3 first round picks. I just wish the draft would get here.

They have a 20.1% chance of moving up, not likely but not bad odds.
skywalker33

Post#107 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:10 pm

The Rebel wrote:Anybody else hoping that if we get the number 2 pick and Ingram is taken 1st that we trade the pick? Trade back to like 4 or 5 and pick up a future 1st or 2?

I'm with you Rebel, if he couldn't lead his team to the NCAA's, that says a lot to me. It's also not like LSU didn't have talent to support him either, I don't see it.

skywalker33

Post#108 » by skywalker33 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 am

Chad Ford reports Jaylen Brown appears to be falling out of the top 10 after the Combine. Could we get him at 15 ??...wishful thinking .....

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#109 » by NuggetsWY » Mon May 16, 2016 2:12 am

The Rebel wrote:Anybody else hoping that if we get the number 2 pick and Ingram is taken 1st that we trade the pick? Trade back to like 4 or 5 and pick up a future 1st or 2?

Simmons might be or become a great talent but he's not a stretch-4 and the Nuggets NEED outside shooting. It's also difficult for a post player to be the go-to-guy at the end of the game. I think the Nuggets need someone that can create his own shot.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#110 » by tstrick33 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm

This is what I took away from the Draft Combine:

-Furkan will only stay in the draft if he has a guarantee of being drafted top 15. He hasn't dropped out yet, kinda thinking the Nuggets have gave him some assurance w/ the HOU pick.

-I really like what Brogdon brings, that guy plays great Defense. Looks like he'd be a Justice Winslow at PG/SG.

-Bolomboy looks like a Faried with the ability to shoot. He will easily 10+ boards per game.

-Thon Maker would be a good 2nd round pick. He's intriguing because his Vertical leap was the highest for a big man in combine history beating out Dwight Howard and Javale McGee. His 3/4 sprint was also off the chart and athletically, he's one of the best big men in the draft. His agent did hold him out of scrimmages, which put a lot of doubt in his confidence to play against NBA talent.
skywalker33

Post#111 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 am

tstrick33 wrote:-Furkan will only stay in the draft if he has a guarantee of being drafted top 15. He hasn't dropped out yet, kinda thinking the Nuggets have gave him some assurance w/ the HOU pick.

I hope not, not a fan of Korkmaz. At 6'7 and 175lbs, he'll get eaten alive in the NBA

tstrick33 wrote:-I really like what Brogdon brings, that guy plays great Defense. Looks like he'd be a Justice Winslow at PG/SG.

-Bolomboy looks like a Faried with the ability to shoot. He will easily 10+ boards per game.

I'm with you on both, but doubt either will available with our 2nds

tstrick33 wrote:-Thon Maker would be a good 2nd round pick. He's intriguing because his Vertical leap was the highest for a big man in combine history beating out Dwight Howard and Javale McGee. His 3/4 sprint was also off the chart and athletically, he's one of the best big men in the draft. His agent did hold him out of scrimmages, which put a lot of doubt in his confidence to play against NBA talent.

I'd be OK with any other team taking that risk over us unless he falls to the 2nd. Just see a lot of high expectations that will never come to fruition. Rather pick Skal than Thon.

Also looks like we're looking at G Isiah Cousins and PF Shawn Long. I like both but they seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, could a good draft-n-stash candidates.

skywalker33

Post#112 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:32 am

Well, after ANOTHER disappointing lottery, we know what picks we are getting. Here's my wish list:

7. SF Jaylen Brown - Has a high ceiling but can be a strong defender and potential scorer. Could be a perfect replacement for Gallo/Chandler when this team matures.

15. PF/C Skal Labissiere - Can play C or PF, once thought of as the a top 3 pick. Will need to fill-out but very athletic.

19. SG Malachi Richardson - Watched him take out Virginia in the NCAA's, high athleticsm, high motor but needs to work on decision-making. Could replace Barton eventually.

I know not everyone will agree with me but we can use this draft to build our future core and allow TC to move vets for some future talent.

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#113 » by Powder Blue » Wed May 18, 2016 4:50 am

skywalker33 wrote:Well, after ANOTHER disappointing lottery, we know what picks we are getting. Here's my wish list:

7. SF Jaylen Brown - Has a high ceiling but can be a strong defender and potential scorer. Could be a perfect replacement for Gallo/Chandler when this team matures.

15. PF/C Skal Labissiere - Can play C or PF, once thought of as the a top 3 pick. Will need to fill-out but very athletic.

19. SG Malachi Richardson - Watched him take out Virginia in the NCAA's, high athleticsm, high motor but needs to work on decision-making. Could replace Barton eventually.

I know not everyone will agree with me but we can use this draft to build our future core and allow TC to move vets for some future talent.

I've been listening to interviews of various Nuggets staff and I don't get any indication they want to add 3 rookies to this already very young raw roster. I don't see how keeping 7,15,19 gets us anywhere soon. No minutes to develop all these players. Half the roster would have 3 years or less experience. This is a business, revenue is at stake. Seeing a bunch of kids get killed by the western conference every night is bad for business.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by NuggetsWY » Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Well, after ANOTHER disappointing lottery, we know what picks we are getting. Here's my wish list:

Well, I for one certainly disagree with you. Although if that is what the Nuggets get, I would not be at all upset. LOL

For me:
7. Buddy Hield - best shooter out there or close to it and he's not a bad passer (takes too many risks though) - I love that he's a gym rat, those guys usually keep improving - he can catch-n-shoot or create his own shot - for a guard he's a decent rebounder and he's a fair defender

15. B.Johnson is my choice here, if he's available; he doesn't force his game (basketball IQ). He always seems to take a good shot and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He seems to have some defensive skills and he's a quick second-jump guy which helps with rebounding and shot-blocking. But there are some other great choices at PF including Chriss or Labissiere or Ellenson and maybe Poeltl (everyone calls him a center but I think he'd make a great PF).

19. Beasley - seems like a good 3-n-D guy with a very nice shooting range. D.Murray would also be a nice fit - decent ball handler/passer. Creates his own shot nicely. He's got a 6'10" wingspan which helps on defense. M.Richardson would also be a great pick here. He's a great one-on-one scorer which we need.
skywalker33

Post#115 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Hield would be my one of my top choices, just don't see him being there at 7.

nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior
And1: 68

Post#116 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Do you think the 76ers would be willing to part with Noel for Gary Harris? It seems like with Noel we could finally end all the discussion on whether we want to keep or get rid of Arthur because he'd probably leave knowing he wouldn't play and could get more money elsewhere. This also allows us to draft Hield if he drops and put faried at 6th man. Obviously more would have to be added because I doubt the 6ers give up Noel straight up for Harris, but it's worth a shot.
basketbob
Junior
And1: 42

Post#117 » by basketbob » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Just thought I'd share a link to the most interesting draft analysis I've run across since (the no-longer-blogging-since-he-was-hired-by-Altitude-Sports!) Layne Vashro. Maybe better. Less math, more context. There are about 15 long and thoughtful posts. I recommend you start at the beginning.

Kaiser's Draft Notes
http://www.deepishthoughts.com/author/kaiser-lindeman/
More free is better
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by The Rebel » Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 am

SlayOrNay wrote:Do you think the 76ers would be willing to part with Noel for Gary Harris? It seems like with Noel we could finally end all the discussion on whether we want to keep or get rid of Arthur because he'd probably leave knowing he wouldn't play and could get more money elsewhere. This also allows us to draft Hield if he drops and put faried at 6th man. Obviously more would have to be added because I doubt the 6ers give up Noel straight up for Harris, but it's worth a shot.

I don't think I want Noel, I don't think he is good enough to beat out Jokic or Nurkic, and would rather have Harris who is at worst a quality place holder and if he takes a huge step like he did last year could be a very good SG in this league. Noel just reminds me too much of a poor man's prime Tyson Chandler at best with a chance to be close to the same level as Chandler's prime. And it took years for Chandler to even reach his level, long enough that he bounced around a couple of times before he became really good.
skywalker33

Post#119 » by skywalker33 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Found this to be a good article, though I'm not 100% in agreement with the author's conclusion. Like the player but never thought of him as a stretch 4, still a good read

https://milehighsports.com/what-type-of-player-do-the-denver-nuggets-need/

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by NuggetsWY » Thu May 19, 2016 5:44 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Found this to be a good article, though I'm not 100% in agreement with the author's conclusion. Like the player but never thought of him as a stretch 4, still a good read

https://milehighsports.com/what-type-of-player-do-the-denver-nuggets-need/

I saw this article too and it set me to wondering. Faried on the OKC team would be a nice fit, in my opinion. Their salaries are close enough that the Nuggets could absorb the difference with no problem. No doubt OKC will want a draft pick in addition to Faried. I would think #19 would be adequate, maybe #15 or instead use #19 & a second round this year and a second round in 2018.

Return to Denver Nuggets