ImageImageImage

2017 Draft

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: 2017 Draft 

Post#521 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:11 am

I really don't see that we have a "packed" roster, here's how I see it.

* - should be traded IMO

Tier one - Superstar potential

C Nikola Jokic
PG Jamal Murray

Tier Two - Star potential

SG Gary Harris
SF Juancho Hernangomez
SG Malik Beasley

Tier Three - Starter/Above average player

F Wilson Chandler *
SG Will Barton
PF Kenneth Faried *
C/PF Mason Plumlee (RFA)

Tier Three A - Untapped/Undetermined potential

PF Trey Lyles
PG Emmanuel Mudiay
PF Tyler Lydon
PG Monte Morris
SF Vlatko Cancar

Tier Four - Useful (?) backups

PF Jameer Nelson
PF Darrell Arthur
SG Mike Miller

To me our CORE is only the first two tiers, only tier 3A has the potential to step up to join our CORE while some could just as easily drop to tier 4. That's 5 we won't trade (unless we're getting another tier 1 player in return) and 12 that are tradeable, only 4 with true 1st rd value...at least that's my assessment as of today.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#522 » by Coeur » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:43 am

skywalker33 wrote:I really don't see that we have a "packed" roster, here's how I see it.

* - should be traded IMO

Tier one - Superstar potential

C Nikola Jokic
PG Jamal Murray

Tier Two - Star potential

SG Gary Harris
SF Juancho Hernangomez
SG Malik Beasley

Tier Three - Starter/Above average player

F Wilson Chandler *
SG Will Barton
PF Kenneth Faried *
C/PF Mason Plumlee (RFA)

Tier Three A - Untapped/Undetermined potential

PF Trey Lyles
PG Emmanuel Mudiay
PF Tyler Lydon
PG Monte Morris
SF Vlatko Cancar

Tier Four - Useful (?) backups

PF Jameer Nelson
PF Darrell Arthur
SG Mike Miller

To me our CORE is only the first two tiers, only tier 3A has the potential to step up to join our CORE while some could just as easily drop to tier 4. That's 5 we won't trade (unless we're getting another tier 1 player in return) and 12 that are tradeable, only 4 with true 1st rd value...at least that's my assessment as of today.

Pretty reasonable lists. Not positive Beasley belongs there. I view jauncho that way too and am not as down w mudiay as most. (Or atleast wouldn't sell low on him now)

Was that should be traded star for Beasley?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#523 » by The Rebel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:59 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I think it is considerably more foolish that so many are acting Like the off-season is over and the Nuggets are doing nothing. Everybody is getting their panties in a bunch over a draft that we all know the pick was not going to play this year. The off-season just started and we have a meeting scheduled with arguably the top free agent in the league that is likely to switch teams. It is like you guys cannot remember when we sold or traded every pick so we could sign some dleaguer. Now we have a team so packed that the rookie they reportedly like the best couldn't get minutes last year.

Everybody complaining needs to go look at the teams that had half of their top 10 players in their 1st 3 years and look at their records, than get back to me. I understand non-nuggets fans talking, but for people who are supposedly super fans I am really disappointed people are throwing temper tantrums like they are. we have our young core that can develop into a contender, yet you guys want to complain about the 13th man?

Ok and I get that, but let me ask, do you really believe that Lyles & Lydon can be traded for next years #13 pick? Seems we've already lost value - sorta' like driving a new car off the lot. On the other hand a team that gambled on Anunoby or Giles or some others, may have more value than the equivalent pick next year (then again, they too could have less value but they seem to have better prospects than Denver).

At the same time, if our pick had any value, it could have been combined with a veteran or two and brought in a player that would fit our needs, which our draft do not do. Perhaps the reason people are so angry and disappointed, not just here but on multiple blogs and such, is because the Nuggets said, "Blah, blah, blah" and we're feeling like we've heard the little boy cry wolf too many times.

Can anybody that was drafted 2 days ago get traded for the same pick next year? Once a pick is made that pick loses value until they prove it on the court, it is the same every draft for every team. With our draft history if any front office in the league deserves a pass because they picked guys and traded for a prospect that fans do not like it is our front office. There are guys I would have rather had, and I am a little pissed that the Trailblazers used our Memphis pick to trade in front of us and grab the guy we all wanted, but what do you do? We have arguably the best young core in the league, and they did it without tanking, think about that for a minute.

How much value do you think guys like Annouby or Giles would have had next year if they were buried on the bench and got the same minutes that Beasley got last year? How much will any player have? I would rather the team takes guys that they feel are long term fits with the young core, than worry about what kind of trade value they will have next year.

As for the trade, if you listen to what Connelly was saying it was a mutliteam deal that a team backed out of at the last minute, and today there are wide reports that a 5 team deal fell apart right before the draft because nobody wanted Kevin Love. http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=19720425

It takes everybody agreeing to a trade, and if it was as close as reporters are saying than there is not much that can be done. We still have a ton of veterans with good contracts that have trade value, and about 4 months for deals to get done. If we go to training camp with a roster like we have currently than I will apologize and say you guys are right, but reality is they have now put themselves into a position of having to make a deal.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#524 » by Mac1958 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:21 pm

So the Nuggets, a team a desperate need of a defensive presence, a glue guy, and a rim protector, draft a shooter at 24 who may or may not make the team.

Meanwhile, the Warriors buy a 2nd rounder, and at 38, draft a defensive stopper, shot blocker and awesome glue guy in Jordan Bell.

I'll need someone to explain this to me.
skywalker33

Post#525 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Mac1958 wrote:So the Nuggets, a team a desperate need of a defensive presence, a glue guy, and a rim protector, draft a shooter at 24 who may or may not make the team.

Meanwhile, the Warriors buy a 2nd rounder, and at 38, draft a defensive stopper, shot blocker and awesome glue guy in Jordan Bell.

I'll need someone to explain this to me.

Well, I agree with your premise but I've "read" that Bell may not have the fleetest of feet and that may be a problem at the NBA level. His lack of lateral quickness may be downfall. That said, watch GSW make another star out of him.

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

2017 Draft 

Post#526 » by Powder Blue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 am

Look I don't think the sky is falling or anything...but I think it's fair to b1tch a little. In a vacuum Lyles/Lydon present some potential that the team could use.

But when I zoom out I heard TC say several times this time LAST year the team needed to consolidate talent. Since then the 2016 draft/2016 free agency/2016-2017 trade deadline and 2017 draft have occurred and the thing the front office said they needed to do the most hasn't occurred.

No doubt they nailed last years draft...but is it too much to ask to clear some space so I can see those guys play? I still don't understand signing Arthur last year, could be sitting with $7 mil more cap space right now.

The things these guys say....and the things they do are 2 vastly diff things. I think it's fair for me to voice frustration with that.

Sure, they could totally wheel and deal and have this roster prime for a playoff run next season, but their track record doesn't give me faith that'll happen.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#527 » by The Rebel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717023-metrics-101-2017-nba-rookie-season-predictions-for-every-1st-round-pick

Projections for Lydon and company based on advanced stats. They seem to like Lydon as a long term fit next to Jokic.
skywalker33

Post#528 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 am

Saw a couple of 2018 mock drafts, found it interesting a couple put DEN selecting in the 22-24 range. :wink:

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#529 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:21 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Saw a couple of 2018 mock drafts, found it interesting a couple put DEN selecting in the 22-24 range. :wink:

Hmmm, last year everyone seemed to put us in the 7-10 range. Maybe, dare we think, someone might think we actually have a decent team? 22-24? That would mean; let me think, if East & West are exactly even (seldom happens, but ...) Denver would be finishing in the top 4 in the West? Wow! I'm not sure I'd go that high. But I like it! Not trying to pessimistic, but I'm thinking more like 6-8 in the West, probably around 18-20 in the draft.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#530 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:40 pm

Did anyone else notice that on sportsline's recent posting regarding ROY possibilities, there are two players in the top-10 that were drafted after the pick we traded?
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#531 » by eathb_au » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:32 pm

Also hurts that Donovan Mitchell looks really good.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,522

Post#532 » by THE J0KER » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:35 pm

We should stop to do any kind of deals with Utah Jazz on Draft day in next about... let's say... 100 years!

In 2013 we traded Rudy Gobert for Erick Green, and this year traded Donovan Mitchell for Tyler Lydon and Trey Lyles.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#533 » by Nuggets_Talk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:09 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Did anyone else notice that on sportsline's recent posting regarding ROY possibilities, there are two players in the top-10 that were drafted after the pick we traded?

2017 nuggets draft is probably our worst ever. just a disaster all the way around.

they had a decent plan A which failed. and no plan B ready so they just winged it. and completely folded under the pressure. im pretty sure anyone picked in the next 20 picks after lydon would have been better. no exaggeration. he literally looked like the worst player on our summer league team, which is usually designated for random pick ups that have zero shot of making the team. not the first round pick.

hope it never happens again.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#534 » by Nuggets_Talk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 am

THE J0KER wrote:We should stop to do any kind of deals with Utah Jazz on Draft day in next about... let's say... 100 years!

In 2013 we traded Rudy Gobert for Erick Green, and this year traded Donovan Mitchell for Tyler Lydon and Trey Lyles.

the first deal was just utah scouting well. we never drafted gobert.

the second deal was just insane. keep the better talent in mitchell and figure it out later. we arent good enough to try and get cute on draft day. we need as much talent as possible.

Return to Denver Nuggets