Jamal Murray News, Discussion, Highlights

Moderator: THE J0KER

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Jamal Murray News, Discussion, Highlights 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 pm

For any news, articles, tweets, youtube highlights, etc.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Re: Jamal Murray News, Discussion, Highlights 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Murray's Stats - Stats aren't everything - I like the "eye-test" more, but here you go:

.. October . November . December . January . February
Min . 12.3 ..... 24.1 ....... 18.9 ....... 17.0 ...... 21.7
FGs .. 0% ...... 41% ........ 35% ........ 41% ....... 42%
3pt .. 0% ...... 43% ........ 25% ........ 26% ....... 37%
FTs . 67% ...... 83% ........ 78% ........ 91% ...... 100%

Oct-beg of Nov were terrible but finished nice
December wasn't so hot
January was worse - notice all year his FT% has been great
February is looking better but he had games of 5 min & 6 min in Feb
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:59 pm

So, if Murray can score 36pt and 11 asts in the RSC in just 20 minutes, what's holding him back from averaging 20ppg and 8apg ???

Michael Malone's ego ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#5 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So, if Murray can score 36pt and 11 asts in the RSC in just 20 minutes, what's holding him back from averaging 20ppg and 8apg ???

Michael Malone's ego ??

An opposing defense
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Murray is currently 5th in mpg for rookies this year but is 2nd in points per game. Sorta' makes you wonder where he'd be if he was playing more minutes. (( Most ppg for a rookie this year is by Brogdon, who is 4th in mpg. I wonder if coaches even pay attention to things like that.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Watching a Clippers game and considering Chris Paul. What other PG is in the ball park of Paul on both offense and defense? He's 4" shorter than Murray but he might be the best role model for Murray. I think Murray's style is similar and he shows promise on both ends. Is there a better role model/comparison that's still playing?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Watching a Clippers game and considering Chris Paul. What other PG is in the ball park of Paul on both offense and defense? He's 4" shorter than Murray but he might be the best role model for Murray. I think Murray's style is similar and he shows promise on both ends. Is there a better role model/comparison that's still playing?

Conley, that is who Murray should be studying. Their games are similar but Murray should end up being the better shooter.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 am

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Watching a Clippers game and considering Chris Paul. What other PG is in the ball park of Paul on both offense and defense? He's 4" shorter than Murray but he might be the best role model for Murray. I think Murray's style is similar and he shows promise on both ends. Is there a better role model/comparison that's still playing?

Conley, that is who Murray should be studying. Their games are similar but Murray should end up being the better shooter.

Yeah, after watching tonight's game, I like him even better as a role model for Murray. I might argue that Paul is better, maybe, but Conley is a better match to Murray and I love his attitude compared to the constantly complaining Paul, along with all of his co-complainers on that team.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Rebel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Yeah, after watching tonight's game, I like him even better as a role model for Murray. I might argue that Paul is better, maybe, but Conley is a better match to Murray and I love his attitude compared to the constantly complaining Paul, along with all of his co-complainers on that team.

Of course Paul is the better player but I do not see Murray having a similar game to Paul. Paul has a quicker 1st step, is a more physical type player, and is more pass oriented, Murray is very similar to a cross between Conley and Curry, but he is primarily a slasher with a very good outside shot once he gets going, so he should be studying Conley daily. The one thing that Conley is not is a leader, but the Nuggets should bring Chauncey in to work with Murray this summer, and teach him how to be a leader and manage a game properly.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by The Rebel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 pm

interesting chart in the Moore piece with Jokic narrating some of his assists. Of course the chart does not want to copy very well, but it is in the article. The reason I posted this on Murray's thread is that out of all the players that are playing, Murray has the best rating without Jokic on the court, and considering he is a rookie who has only been placed in the proper role the last few weeks, that is pretty damn impressive and one reason I am so high on him as well.

Denver Nuggets Net Rating: With Jokic Without Jokic Differential
Danilo Gallinari DEN SF 8.4 -4.9 13.3

Jameer Nelson DEN PG 6 -4.1 10.1

Wilson Chandler DEN SF 1.9 -4.3 6.2

Gary Harris DEN SG 5.9 -5.2 11.1

Will Barton DEN SG 9.3 -8.7 18

Jamal Murray DEN SG 5.4 -1.3 6.7

Kenneth Faried DEN PF 13.4 -10.2 23.6

Juan Hernangomez DEN PF 7.2 -11.1 18.3

Mason Plumlee DEN C 0.8 -1.7 2.5

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/behind-the-screen-the-arrival-of-the-nbas-next-great-passing-big-man-nikola-jokic/
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

The Rebel wrote:interesting chart in the Moore piece with Jokic narrating some of his assists. Of course the chart does not want to copy very well, but it is in the article. The reason I posted this on Murray's thread is that out of all the players that are playing, Murray has the best rating without Jokic on the court, and considering he is a rookie who has only been placed in the proper role the last few weeks, that is pretty damn impressive and one reason I am so high on him as well.

A very interesting article. Although it took me a moment to understand the chart. One thing we know, Murray doesn't always play a lot of minutes with Jokic.

I'm a big fan of the very quiet Harris but I'm drooling at the thought of Murray & Harris playing together for significant minutes. I think their games are very complementary.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#13 » by U hova » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm

It's hard finding a player Harris doesn't compliment, especially with how he's rounding out his on-ball playmaking and slashing
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by The Rebel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:38 pm

While I am not a huge believer in defensive and offensive rating as a league wide stat and usually only use it to compare players on the same team, I did find it interesting that Murray is currently 3rd in net rating for rookies who are part of the rotation.
http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/#!?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerExperience=Rookie&Month=6

He is also the top rookie for plus/minus for the month of March
http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/#!?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=6&PlayerExperience=Rookie
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#15 » by FilNugsFan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

I would love to see Murray compete in next year's 3-point contest.

My question though is, how are the participants selected? Every year, "scorers" are also chosen instead of just "shooters". This year, guys like Kemba Walker, Nick Young and even Kyrie Irving competed. Yes, Kyrie may have won it previously. Not saying their inclusion was entirely wrong, but what about the Murrrays, the Redicks and the Bookers just to name a few? They are practically better shooters and deserve a spot in the contest.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 am

Murray played much of the year with a sports hernia and still managed to score 10ppg 2.5rpg and 2apg in his rookie year. I can't wait to see what he does in his sophmore year when he's healthy !!!!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 am

skywalker33 wrote:Murray played much of the year with a sports hernia and still managed to score 10ppg 2.5rpg and 2apg in his rookie year. I can't wait to see what he does in his sophmore year when he's healthy !!!!

Here is demsey's tweet.
Read on Twitter

This would explain why he seemed to struggle so badly after the ROTM, and why he got better the more he was in the game, this kid could really be special. I had a minor hernia and there were days it would bug the crap out of me and the regular hernia hurts much less than a sports hernia.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

skywalker33 wrote:Murray played much of the year with a sports hernia and still managed to score 10ppg 2.5rpg and 2apg in his rookie year. I can't wait to see what he does in his sophmore year when he's healthy !!!!

and was the only Nugget to play all 82 games - unlike veterans who would come back from this injury or that injury (often too soon?) and then take a few more games off injured. Sure, some injuries can not be played with, others can. I'm just not convinced our veterans are committed to playing and I'm not convinced our team knows how to manage injuries.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#19 » by U hova » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Commend his toughness but we should prioritize his health
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by The Rebel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Murray got 2nd team all rookie, with 34 1st team votes. That is pretty impressive considering he was playing the whole season with a sports hernia and reportedly picked up a 2nd hernia at some point that they found during the surgery.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246483/Brogdon-Saric-Embiid-Hield-Willy-Hernagomez-Named-To-All-Rookie-First-Team

Juancho got 5 votes for 2nd team despite barely playing so that is pretty impressive as well.

Return to Denver Nuggets