2017 offseason

Moderator: THE J0KER

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Re: 2017 offseason 

Post#201 » by Powder Blue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
tstrick33 wrote:On a side note, I just read the Denver Post article of Gallo saying that when he retires he will still live in Denver. That's pretty cool, not many players fall in love with Denver enough to call the city their home post retirement.

That's cool for sure. I lived in Portland for a while and many former Blazers seem to like living there. It's a great place, especially for outdoorsy types.

Our mod lives in the Portland??...the home of the Nurkic-stealing, 8th seed swiping Blazers. Haha
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#202 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Powder Blue wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
tstrick33 wrote:On a side note, I just read the Denver Post article of Gallo saying that when he retires he will still live in Denver. That's pretty cool, not many players fall in love with Denver enough to call the city their home post retirement.

That's cool for sure. I lived in Portland for a while and many former Blazers seem to like living there. It's a great place, especially for outdoorsy types.

Our mod lives in the Portland??...the home of the Nurkic-stealing, 8th seed swiping Blazers. Haha

"Lived" as in "past tense". Sheesh, I'm feeling like an English teacher here and I was a math major. ROFBL FYI, I've also lived in MN, WI, SC, NJ, NY, FL, CO, HI, OR and of course, the very great and fantastic "world famous for being unknown" WYOMING! 8-)
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#203 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Porzingis would be close to the perfect fit next to Jokic with Murray and Harris in the backcourt. The issue is going to be putting together a package to get him as there is no way I am doing that package Coeur wants.

Now the Knicks may have interest in Chandler and Hernangomez, especially with Willy Hernangomez and Kuzminskas being pretty good players so far and the Knicks needing to move Melo this year. Chandler was a huge fan favorite when he was young, and Juancho would be a great fit between the 2 mentioned earlier.

The next question is do you want to take a terrible contract in Noah to entice the Knicks?

Say Chandler, Nelson, Hernangomez, 13th overall pick, and the 51st overall pick for Porzingis and Noah?

I am torn as 3 years paying $17 million a year to Noah hurts the long term cap situation, but that gives you a long term potential all star guy at 4 positions although they would be very young, and 2 franchise type talents at PF and C. Plus you still have about $42 million in cap space this year to fill out the bench with a some veteran defensive role players and to sign a starting SF.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 am

The Rebel wrote:Porzingis would be close to the perfect fit next to Jokic with Murray and Harris in the backcourt. The issue is going to be putting together a package to get him as there is no way I am doing that package Coeur wants.

Now the Knicks may have interest in Chandler and Hernangomez, especially with Willy Hernangomez and Kuzminskas being pretty good players so far and the Knicks needing to move Melo this year. Chandler was a huge fan favorite when he was young, and Juancho would be a great fit between the 2 mentioned earlier.

The next question is do you want to take a terrible contract in Noah to entice the Knicks?

Say Chandler, Nelson, Hernangomez, 13th overall pick, and the 51st overall pick for Porzingis and Noah?

I am torn as 3 years paying $17 million a year to Noah hurts the long term cap situation, but that gives you a long term potential all star guy at 4 positions although they would be very young, and 2 franchise type talents at PF and C. Plus you still have about $42 million in cap space this year to fill out the bench with a some veteran defensive role players and to sign a starting SF.

Agree with all of that - and I'd do the deal. Getting the right player is worth eating a bad contract. We aren't contending for a few years and Noah can play off the bench for us (or not).
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#205 » by Mich3006 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Does anyone really believe the Ibaka is 27 ??

But I think he would be a perfect complement next to Jokic, even if he´s a few years older.

The problem is, with their skill-sets, either Millsap and Ibaka will get max money from at least one team. Therefore, the Nuggets would´ve to open up their pocket big time.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Looking at a proposed Miami-Denver trade on the T&T board made me think about potential trading partners.
The Nuggets have cap space and some decent, not great, veterans they could trade.
They even have some youth that could be traded in the right situation.

So which teams seem like good trading partners? Consider their needs/cap issues/etc.

Some more than others, but here's my list:
Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Detroit
LAL
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Sacramento
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by The Rebel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Looking at a proposed Miami-Denver trade on the T&T board made me think about potential trading partners.
The Nuggets have cap space and some decent, not great, veterans they could trade.

So which teams seem like good trading partners? Consider their needs/cap issues/etc.

Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Detroit
LAL
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Sacramento

The teams that are going to be most interested in our veterans are the borderline playoff teams and better, I don't see the young rebuilding teams being interested in our veterans. Teams looking for that player or two that is going to improve their team enough to get to the next level. The bad teams are not going to be looking for guys like Chandler and Faried. Barton is iffy as he is getting close to his prime years but is still young enough to help a young team long term. Nelson may look popular to a capped out team needing a bench PG or a rebuilding team looking for a leader.

Teams like the Bucks, Celtics, Pacers, Bulls, Heat, Pistons, Hornets, Rockets, Wizards, Raptors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Blazers, Thunder, and Jazz are the teams I would start looking at for wanting our veterans.

Out of that the Bucks, Pacers, Blazers, Hornets, Celtics, and Pistons all have needs for good bench players, so they may be interested in our veterans but are not likely to pay to much for them. Faried would fit well with the Bucks, Celtics, Bulls, and Pacers. Chandler would fit with them all of the bench at either forward position. Barton would be a dream for many due to his scoring output and low contract.

The Heat, Grizzlies (with Parson's injury problems), Pelicans, Thunder, Bulls and Rockets can all use a starting forward on their team. Chandler would fit on all of them, Faried would fit well on the Heat, and Rockets.

The Raptors and Wizards made moves at the deadline to fix their issues and I doubt are in the market to add much in payroll given their situation.

The Jazz are young, have injury issues, and cap issues so they may be a fit for the right deal that fits their needs and dumps payroll. Like moving Favors for a stretch 4 like Chandler and cap relief.

I think the list for Chandler should be
Jazz
Thunder
Grizzlies
Rockets

for Chandler and Faried
Heat
Celtics
Bulls
Pacers

For Faried
Bucks
Blazers
pistons
Pacers

For Barton
Bucks
Blazers
Pistons
Grizzlies
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

The Rebel wrote:The teams that are going to be most interested in our veterans are the borderline playoff teams and better, I don't see the young rebuilding teams being interested in our veterans. Teams looking for that player or two that is going to improve their team enough to get to the next level. The bad teams are not going to be looking for guys like Chandler and Faried. Barton is iffy as he is getting close to his prime years but is still young enough to help a young team long term. Nelson may look popular to a capped out team needing a bench PG or a rebuilding team looking for a leader.

I hear ya, but those teams don't usually trade for a bench player until during the season after they identify their biggest weakness or have an injury. I really don't expect those teams to trade for any of the Nuggets veterans during the off season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#209 » by skywalker33 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Looking at a proposed Miami-Denver trade on the T&T board made me think about potential trading partners.

Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Detroit
LAL
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Sacramento

The teams that are going to be most interested in our veterans are the borderline playoff teams and better, I don't see the young rebuilding teams being interested in our veterans. Teams looking for that player or two that is going to improve their team enough to get to the next level. The bad teams are not going to be looking for guys like Chandler and Faried. Barton is iffy as he is getting close to his prime years but is still young enough to help a young team long term. Nelson may look popular to a capped out team needing a bench PG or a rebuilding team looking for a leader.

Teams like the Bucks, Celtics, Pacers, Bulls, Heat, Pistons, Hornets, Rockets, Wizards, Raptors, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Blazers, Thunder, and Jazz are the teams I would start looking at for wanting our veterans.

Out of that the Bucks, Pacers, Blazers, Hornets, Celtics, and Pistons all have needs for good bench players, so they may be interested in our veterans but are not likely to pay to much for them. Faried would fit well with the Bucks, Celtics, Bulls, and Pacers. Chandler would fit with them all of the bench at either forward position. Barton would be a dream for many due to his scoring output and low contract.

The Heat, Grizzlies (with Parson's injury problems), Pelicans, Thunder, Bulls and Rockets can all use a starting forward on their team. Chandler would fit on all of them, Faried would fit well on the Heat, and Rockets.

The Raptors and Wizards made moves at the deadline to fix their issues and I doubt are in the market to add much in payroll given their situation.

The Jazz are young, have injury issues, and cap issues so they may be a fit for the right deal that fits their needs and dumps payroll. Like moving Favors for a stretch 4 like Chandler and cap relief.

Jazz
Thunder
Grizzlies
Rockets

for Chandler and Faried
Heat
Celtics
Bulls
Pacers

For Faried
Bucks
Blazers
pistons
Pacers

For Barton
Bucks
Blazers
Pistons
Grizzlies

Well, we need to learn from our mistakes, don't trade where it can come back to bite you, meaning outside of of division, outside of our conference. Don't think I'd trade with the Blazers unless we're getting a heckuva a lot more back, (why would they want Barton back ?) and Memphis doesn't seem like they have a lot to offer with no 1st and aging players. The Bucks seem like they're on the verge of the next step, and the Heat look like they need something to vault them. Pacers appear as if they need something more than youth to try and keep PG13 happy, so those look like the best possibilities to me.

The Pistons and Bulls seem on the verge of rebuilds, they have some solid pieces so realistically it could go either way with them. The Celtics are an interesting team, a top team in the East but very flawed. They have acquired a lot of pieces to rebuild, but may want to rebuild on the fly as well. They could easily add Chandler and/or Faried for some of their lesser picks or pieces.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#210 » by Mich3006 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

The t&t mock offseason started a few days ago and I go with the Nuggets and regarding the interest for guys like Barton and Faried, it´s really low (right now).
Nobody wants to trade a pick for both of them and especially Faried´s lacks in shooting could be a problem if you want to aquire quality in exchange.
Right now I´m discussing a draft day trade with Detroit (Reggie Jackson+ their 1st for Faried, Mudiay)...

In general I think the Nuggets shouldn´t take on any salary if they want to make a splash on the FA market. Serge Ibaka would be a perfect aquisition but he´ll gonna get max $ so it´s better to keep all the space and maybe trade Faried only for a 2nd rd pick to get even more room under the cap.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#211 » by psimanic1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am

I wouldn't do that trade for Denver. Still wouldn't give up on Mudiay if it wasn't for someone like Lowry, Teague, Kemba....I still think he can do something with his career, and I hope it will be in Denver instead of tradeing him to other team like we did with Nurkic.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:The teams that are going to be most interested in our veterans are the borderline playoff teams and better, I don't see the young rebuilding teams being interested in our veterans. Teams looking for that player or two that is going to improve their team enough to get to the next level. The bad teams are not going to be looking for guys like Chandler and Faried. Barton is iffy as he is getting close to his prime years but is still young enough to help a young team long term. Nelson may look popular to a capped out team needing a bench PG or a rebuilding team looking for a leader.

I hear ya, but those teams don't usually trade for a bench player until during the season after they identify their biggest weakness or have an injury. I really don't expect those teams to trade for any of the Nuggets veterans during the off season.

Chandler and Faried would be 4th or 5th starters on good teams, especially the ones I listed that need help at either SF or PF, or desperately need what Faried brings with his rebounding (think Celtics).

Barton will draw interest during the draft if he is made available as teams will be looking to improve their bench over taking o a project when they are facing demands of making the playoffs next year, so a late lotto easy exit 7th or 8th seed may be willing to take him over waiting 2 or 3 years for a rookie to develop.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
The Rebel wrote:

Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Detroit
LAL
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Sacramento

Jazz
Thunder
Grizzlies
Rockets

for Chandler and Faried
Heat
Celtics
Bulls
Pacers

For Faried
Bucks
Blazers
pistons
Pacers

For Barton
Bucks
Blazers
Pistons
Grizzlies

Well, we need to learn from our mistakes, don't trade where it can come back to bite you, meaning outside of of division, outside of our conference. Don't think I'd trade with the Blazers unless we're getting a heckuva a lot more back, (why would they want Barton back ?) and Memphis doesn't seem like they have a lot to offer with no 1st and aging players. The Bucks seem like they're on the verge of the next step, and the Heat look like they need something to vault them. Pacers appear as if they need something more than youth to try and keep PG13 happy, so those look like the best possibilities to me.

The Pistons and Bulls seem on the verge of rebuilds, they have some solid pieces so realistically it could go either way with them. The Celtics are an interesting team, a top team in the East but very flawed. They have acquired a lot of pieces to rebuild, but may want to rebuild on the fly as well. They could easily add Chandler and/or Faried for some of their lesser picks or pieces.

To me there is a huge difference in trading a potential franchise player for a song and dance over a bench scorer. The Blazers traded Barton in a win now move to get Afflalo hoping for a playoff run. Now they have one of the worst scoring benches in the league and need a ball dominant scorer off the bench. I think he would be a good fit, but I do not think he is a guy who is going to make a difference alone, and if the Trailblazers were willing to give up a good pick than I have no problem trading him there.

The Pistons may rebuild, but with the playoffs going the way they are than I do not see the Bulls blowing up and rebuilding. the Bulls front office is very conservative and were supposedly blowing the team up last summer, now I doubt they even consider it now.

It would not surprise me if the Celtics came after Faried, the problem is they do not have any mid-late 1st round picks this year, so it would probably be 2nd round picks and a prospect or two. They do not have any good forward prospects that I would expect to get for Faried so I doubt anything happens with them unless it is in a 3 team deal.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Ayatollah wrote:The t&t mock offseason started a few days ago and I go with the Nuggets and regarding the interest for guys like Barton and Faried, it´s really low (right now).
Nobody wants to trade a pick for both of them and especially Faried´s lacks in shooting could be a problem if you want to aquire quality in exchange.
Right now I´m discussing a draft day trade with Detroit (Reggie Jackson+ their 1st for Faried, Mudiay)...

In general I think the Nuggets shouldn´t take on any salary if they want to make a splash on the FA market. Serge Ibaka would be a perfect aquisition but he´ll gonna get max $ so it´s better to keep all the space and maybe trade Faried only for a 2nd rd pick to get even more room under the cap.

It does not surprise me that nobody wants to trade picks or prospects for Faried or Barton on the trade board, draft picks and prospects have always been overrated and Nuggets players underrated on the T & T board, of course you are doing the same thing even discussing Reggie Jackson and a 1st for Mudiay and Faried.

Jackson regressed this year, a bad defender, with a bad attitude, and is getting paid $43 million over the next 3 years. the guy threw a fit backing up Westbrook, what do you think would happen when he gets beat out of the job in the next year or two by Murray? Faried is a very productive player making 3rd big salary for the next 2 years, and Mudiay is still a good prospect regardless of what people who do not watch him think. I may give up Mudiay and Faried for the 12th overall pick, but there is no damn way I am taking back a bad contract with him.

Also regardless of what the trade board or you seem to think, we are not desperate to dump Faried, if the right deal does not come around than we keep him. He is a good fit next to Jokic and his rebounding and hustle are important on good teams.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#215 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:37 am

The Rebel wrote:To me there is a huge difference in trading a potential franchise player for a song and dance over a bench scorer.

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure we were just trading Nurkic where he could succeed the most, BAD business model when you see that it was to a division rival, I'm sure we had other better offers (or should've held out for one).

The Rebel wrote:The Blazers traded Barton in a win now move to get Afflalo hoping for a playoff run. Now they have one of the worst scoring benches in the league and need a ball dominant scorer off the bench. I think he would be a good fit, but I do not think he is a guy who is going to make a difference alone, and if the Trailblazers were willing to give up a good pick than I have no problem trading him there.

Blazers traded Barton because they thought/expected Crabbe to be the better player and the more explosive scorer. While he has improved, Barton exploded with more minutes, something he still may not get in POR. Would I trade him for the 15th pick ...absolutely, perhaps even just the 20th but I'd ask for a little boot there. As I said, I'd have to feel like I gained the advantage over the Blazers, especially with the gift wrap job we gave to them.

The Rebel wrote:The Pistons may rebuild, but with the playoffs going the way they are than I do not see the Bulls blowing up and rebuilding. the Bulls front office is very conservative and were supposedly blowing the team up last summer, now I doubt they even consider it now.

The Pistons tried to speed up their rebuild trading for Jackson, didn't do their homework. Stanley hasn't worked out either. Drummond is an above average player who is probably not liking where they're going, will he resign ?

Chicago is playing well but there have been rumors that that Butler is clashing with the FO and is one his way out, one way or another. They has some decent young players so I still think they can add some veteran talent, is there enough youth to relinquish a 1st for Chandler ?? I'd say so...

The Rebel wrote:It would not surprise me if the Celtics came after Faried, the problem is they do not have any mid-late 1st round picks this year, so it would probably be 2nd round picks and a prospect or two. They do not have any good forward prospects that I would expect to get for Faried so I doubt anything happens with them unless it is in a 3 team deal.

Faried to the Celtics makes sense, I'd trade him for a a 2nd and a prospect or a future 1st (2018 BOS or 2019 MEM pick ?)
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Acountant_Z
Junior
And1: 169

Post#216 » by Acountant_Z » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Just watch Ibaka in Raptors-Bucks PO series and imagine having him next to Jokic. I cannot think of a better fit. I doubt Nuggets would pay him a max but I would certainly be all for it. He is like a Swiss army knife we need to make that next step.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#217 » by U hova » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Man just watching this Raptors series... Lowry's value must be at a all time low
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 pm

There are several players that would be nice to add to the Nuggets, but look at the playoff teams this year. The teams expected to contend all over 2 or 3 all star level players and the serious contenders have 2 or 3 top 20 level players. Usually those guys are 30 years old +/- 3 years. Jokic & Harris & Murray & Mudiay & Hernangomez are all less than 23 years old. They still need at least 2 or 3 more years of playing time. Making the playoffs next year based on those 5 being the core, should be possible. They'll probably play more defense, just out of sheer desire to really play. Find a couple bench forwards and they should be fine.

On the other hand, I'd trade all but those five for Butler and maybe George. A top two-way player that's under 27 would work in my book. I'd love picking up Porter as an RFA. There are other good options that might be available as well.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#219 » by Mac1958 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:53 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:There are several players that would be nice to add to the Nuggets, but look at the playoff teams this year. The teams expected to contend all over 2 or 3 all star level players and the serious contenders have 2 or 3 top 20 level players. Usually those guys are 30 years old +/- 3 years. Jokic & Harris & Murray & Mudiay & Hernangomez are all less than 23 years old. They still need at least 2 or 3 more years of playing time. Making the playoffs next year based on those 5 being the core, should be possible. They'll probably play more defense, just out of sheer desire to really play. Find a couple bench forwards and they should be fine.

On the other hand, I'd trade all but those five for Butler and maybe George. A top two-way player that's under 27 would work in my book. I'd love picking up Porter as an RFA. There are other good options that might be available as well.

Yeah, I think it's time to leverage the draft pick, the depth and the salary cap space for an alpha dog to pair with Jokic and Murray. Use our assets to bring in Butler and a big defensive power forward and I'm happy.

PG: Murray
SG: Harris
SF: Butler
PF: ???
C: Jokic
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Mac1958 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:There are several players that would be nice to add to the Nuggets, but look at the playoff teams this year. The teams expected to contend all over 2 or 3 all star level players and the serious contenders have 2 or 3 top 20 level players. Usually those guys are 30 years old +/- 3 years. Jokic & Harris & Murray & Mudiay & Hernangomez are all less than 23 years old. They still need at least 2 or 3 more years of playing time. Making the playoffs next year based on those 5 being the core, should be possible. They'll probably play more defense, just out of sheer desire to really play. Find a couple bench forwards and they should be fine.

Yeah, I think it's time to leverage the draft pick, the depth and the salary cap space for an alpha dog to pair with Jokic and Murray. Use our assets to bring in Butler and a big defensive power forward and I'm happy.

PG: Murray
SG: Harris
SF: Butler
PF: ???
C: Jokic

Like it, but it's still not a contender for a championship - but I think it's a lock for the playoffs, maybe even a 6th or 7th finish. 8-)

Return to Denver Nuggets