ImageImageImage

Jamal Murray

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Jamal tears ACL, out for the season 

Post#81 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Well, bad news at its worst, Jamal diagnosed with a torn ACL, out for the season. Perhaps we sign Austin Rivers now, it was reported earlier we had interest, seems that just went up.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Manolito
Senior
And1: 394

Re: Jamal tears ACL, out for the season 

Post#82 » by Manolito » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Not only out for this season, but also very likely for the next one as well with the regular schedule. ACL takes from 9-12 months to recover plus considerably longer to get full strength and conditioning. Pretty similar injury and timing to Gallinari in 2014.

RIP championship window. It was nice while it lasted
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Re: Jamal Murray Out for the Season - Torn ACL 

Post#83 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Hey Suns fan here but I spent 16 years in CO. Sorry to hear about this, if we didn't get there then I was hoping you guys did. Fortunately there's still tons of talent on your team. GL with the rest of the season.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,203

Post#84 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Bummer :-? Thats all folks, if Denver gets into the play off's , they are going to exit it very quickly, unless Porter and Barton learn on the fly how to play smart , organized, team basketball, which is unlike to happen. This also could mess up long term future of the franchise , depending on how successful is Murray recovery.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,273

Post#85 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Definitely need to request an Injured Player exception from the league, for this and next year.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Mickey8
Head Coach

Re: [Shams] Murray agrees to 5/$170M extension 

Post#86 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm

CanadaUprise wrote:You guys realize that Murray plays out of position on the nuggets right. He's a pure SG being forced to play PG because of Jokic which hurts his game a lot.

He was playing both PG and SG, I dont know what games you were watching, he benefited a lot from Jokic, getting easy shots from hand off's , cuts etc. Jokic wasn't the reason for his struggles early this season.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:29 pm

;ab_channel=ESPN

I have to agree with Perkins 100% about Porter, while he's very talented player, his basketball iq is quiet low as of now, all the things he mentioned here, the guy can't pass the ball and he will take every shot , no matter how bad it is, his court vision is bad and then you have much less talented player in Barton , who is all that too, I hope this team is able to get into the play off's but they wont go far once they get there .
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#88 » by manchambo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Mickey8 wrote:;ab_channel=ESPN

I have to agree with Perkins 100% about Porter, while he's very talented player, his basketball iq is quiet low as of now, all the things he mentioned here, the guy can't pass the ball and he will take every shot , no matter how bad it is, his court vision is bad and then you have much less talented player in Barton , who is all that too, I hope this team is able to get into the play off's but they wont go far once they get there .

I don't agree 100%. Obviously this knocks Denver out as a title contender, but easy 1st round exit? I don't buy that.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#89 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Mickey8 wrote:
CanadaUprise wrote:You guys realize that Murray plays out of position on the nuggets right. He's a pure SG being forced to play PG because of Jokic which hurts his game a lot.

He was playing both PG and SG, I dont know what games you were watching, he benefited a lot from Jokic, getting easy shots from hand off's , cuts etc. Jokic wasn't the reason for his struggles early this season.

I'd actually call him a point-guard, or whatever passes for one in this era. Consider Lillard & Irving & Curry and so forth. PG's of today are expected to shoot.

I'd also suggest that playing with Jokic helps his game a lot because the Nuggets #1 play has been Jokic outside, with Murray taking a hand off and heading to the basket. Plus, his 3pt shooting benefits from playing with Jokic because Jokic's presence causes people to back off Murray, given him open 3s.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm

manchambo wrote:

I don't agree 100%. Obviously this knocks Denver out as a title contender, but easy 1st round exit? I don't buy that.

Denver first have to secure play off spot, they could easily slide down to play in tournament zone, the way they played last two games was already concerning . This is the time for Jokic to prove he's the leading candidate to win the MVP award, he has to dominate every night from now on, no more 3 points halves , he has to be aggressive at all times.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:

I'd actually call him a point-guard, or whatever passes for one in this era. Consider Lillard & Irving & Curry and so forth. PG's of today are expected to shoot.

I'd also suggest that playing with Jokic helps his game a lot because the Nuggets #1 play has been Jokic outside, with Murray taking a hand off and heading to the basket. Plus, his 3pt shooting benefits from playing with Jokic because Jokic's presence causes people to back off Murray, given him open 3s.

I agree.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#92 » by The Rebel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 pm

I disagree with Perkins and you about Porter, his problem is not lack of bbiq, his problem is focus. When he is focused and on he is a great player, the other half of the time he is basically worthless. I do not care about his passing, that is not what we want him to do, he is a finisher and a shooter, who cares if he is passing if he is hitting at a 65% TS%?

Barton is a problem, not from lack of skills or bball iq, but because he believes he is the best player on the team and isn't even in the top 5 when everybody is healthy plus the way he panics when things are not going right. Our entire season depends on what Malone allows Barton to do, if he goes into ball dominate iso Barton than this season is over, if Malone contains Barton that I can easily see this team having success.

If we can get MPJ to focus most of the time and use Gordon as a 3rd option (his best season was as a 2nd option with an actual PG that could get him the ball in the right position) than we should still have the scoring in the starting lineup.

The issue is the bench, but I think we can use our size and at least have an average bench. I think if you play Morris, Dozier, Cancar, Green or Millsap, and McGee and just spam the pick and roll with kickouts to green and use Dozier and Cancar to just be hustle players than it would improve our bench.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Mickey8 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Its not just about Porter not being aware of the court ,to execute the simple pass to a open man , its also his chucking, I know he has great shooting percentages this season , but his shot selection is not that great, that three that he takes all the time, dribbling the ball down the court and then launching a three, is one of the bad shots he always takes, isolation threes etc. he plays unselfish ball and thats not the winning basketball .
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Our Jamal Murray Thread has Strayed 

Post#94 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 am

Mickey8 wrote:Its not just about Porter not being aware of the court ,to execute the simple pass to a open man , its also his chucking, I know he has great shooting percentages this season , but his shot selection is not that great, that three that he takes all the time, dribbling the ball down the court and then launching a three, is one of the bad shots he always takes, isolation threes etc. he plays unselfish ball and thats not the winning basketball .

If I'm coaching Porter, I only use one word: "SHOOT"! His shot selection can't be too bad based on his shooting percentage. He rebounds well and his defense is improving. I have no doubt his passing will improve. I don't see any reason to doubt his BBIQ.

Porter will be expected to pickup some of Murray's role. So will Morris. Barton will assume he's the only one capable of filling Murray's role -- and in some respects that is true. I suspect Malone will use Barton & Campazzo as Murray's replacements - while more or less ignoring Morris (my choice for best-to-replace-Murray).

If we pickup Rivers or anyone else, Malone is unlikely to use them IMO. But I still think we should do so just because you never know.
Mickey8
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Mickey8 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 am

Well if thats the Malone strategy, rest of the season, Denver wont even make the play off's, and you should watch closer, some shots he takes, , I am surprised that Perkins noticed that too, because I doubt ESPN talking hands follow the Nuggets at all, but he's doing Celtics games too, and last Sunday there was plenty examples of his bad shot selection , he should take shots but he should also try to play team basketball , be more aware on the court, not just chucking senselessly .
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 am

skywalker33 wrote:Definitely need to request an Injured Player exception from the league, for this and next year.

Too late this season to request it and Murray has to be expected to miss all of next season, which is pretty unlikely given other players timeframe for returning to the court.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

An exception would be great this summer though.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by The Rebel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:40 am

Mickey8 wrote:Well if thats the Malone strategy, rest of the season, Denver wont even make the play off's, and you should watch closer, some shots he takes, , I am surprised that Perkins noticed that too, because I doubt ESPN talking hands follow the Nuggets at all, but he's doing Celtics games too, and last Sunday there was plenty examples of his bad shot selection , he should take shots but he should also try to play team basketball , be more aware on the court, not just chucking senselessly .

Half the team tries to do the flashy play instead of the right play, they know the play to make they just want to make it flashy and make the highlight reel especially when we have leads. Barton, Dozier, and MPJ are the worst offenders these days, Murray for most of his career was that way, it isn't about anything more than these guys needing to mature and focus. With Murray going out than it means MPJ needs to grow up right now and focus on playing the right way.
sundevil1999
Freshman
And1: 74

Post#98 » by sundevil1999 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 am

Suns fan here.

I am incredibly saddened for you guys and your team. You guys were starting to really put it all together. Murray will be missed for sure, but I am curious to see how well Jokic will play. He is a monster, and I love that guy. I wish you guys all the best, except against the Suns. You are my second choice this year. Good Luck
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 am

sundevil1999 wrote:Suns fan here.

I am incredibly saddened for you guys and your team. You guys were starting to really put it all together. Murray will be missed for sure, but I am curious to see how well Jokic will play. He is a monster, and I love that guy. I wish you guys all the best, except against the Suns. You are my second choice this year. Good Luck

Why thank you very much and I'd return the best wishes except your Suns are doing better than expected already --- oh what the hey; Jazz & Suns both have shocked everyone and I'm hoping those are our WCF contenders! :cowboy:
8David24
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#100 » by 8David24 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Denver has just started to look like an elite team that can realistically compete for the ring. Really bad luck.

Return to Denver Nuggets