2024 Trade Deadline + Buyout

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,522

2024 Trade Deadline + Buyout 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:40 am

Last year, it seemed like we did a great job when proven players T.Bryant and veteran R.Jackson came to us for low salaries, but soon everything turned into a nightmare because it was as if they forgot to play basketball when they arrived in Denver. Fortunately, Reggie is successfully demonstrating why he was brought in this season, and not only is he valuable off the bench, but during Murray's injury, he proved that he can still play as an NBA starter.

This year I think we should bring in a reliable veteran (we don't have a salary cap for prime players), but I'm afraid our front office is too complacent after the 2023 title, and doesn't seem to be looking for reinforcements. The reasons why, in my opinion, they should still find ONE reliable name for the bench are as follows:

- We lost B.Brown who was a serious candidate for NBA 6th man award
- J.Green also left, and he was usable off the bench even in the playoffs
- C.Braun hasn't continued to improve as we expected (even having a sophomore slump of sorts compared to his 2023 playoff level)
- It is risky to hope that in terms of injuries everything will be completely perfect for us as it happened in 2023 in the critical March-June period

I guess FO thinks Reggie is the new Brown, Braun will find a way to regroup before playoffs, Watson is the solution for the missing piece, "what injury?"...

But I still think we really need to add another one trustful name to our bench, no matter his position, just able to produce 10-15 decent quality minutes.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Re: 2024 Trade Deadline + Buyout 

Post#2 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:56 am

Best case scenario: Gordon Hayward coming via a buyout.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,256

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:57 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Best case scenario: Gordon Hayward coming via a buyout.

Hayward may be a decent add, but far from the best-case scenario. He'd fill a scoring need off the bench at SF but we already have Strawther, Watson and Braun at the wing positions on the 2nd unit. A buyout would become necessary to add his talent but he is already 33yo. I might be inclined to package Jackson and Nnaji or Hunter for a better backup big, bringing Gillespie and/or Pickett up
to fill in for Jackson.

Good topic though, apparent we might need to help out the bench
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#4 » by TunaFish » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:05 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

Hayward may be a decent add, but far from the best-case scenario. He'd fill a scoring need off the bench at SF but we already have Strawther, Watson and Braun at the wing positions on the 2nd unit. A buyout would become necessary to add his talent but he is already 33yo. I might be inclined to package Jackson and Nnaji or Hunter for a better backup big, bringing Gillespie and/or Pickett up
to fill in for Jackson.

Toronto now has three shooting guards making more than 18 mil a season. They like Barret and Trent, Jr. but could they be willing to trade or buyout Bruce Brown? They will look for a trade first and Brown has a player option for more than 20 mil next season.
Canned in Denver.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,476

Post#5 » by Wigginstime » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:56 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

to fill in for Jackson.

Toronto now has three shooting guards making more than 18 mil a season. They like Barret and Trent, Jr. but could they be willing to trade or buyout Bruce Brown? They will look for a trade first and Brown has a player option for more than 20 mil next season.

I would love a Brown buyout and resign with Denver. Not sure how likely this is to happen with out Bruce forcing it which is unlikely because Toronto would save very little in this scenario. Toronto most likely lets him playout the season and doesn't pickup his team option for next year. I can dream that Toronto agrees to a buyout.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#6 » by TunaFish » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:32 pm

Wigginstime wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
to fill in for Jackson.

I would love a Brown buyout and resign with Denver. Not sure how likely this is to happen with out Bruce forcing it which is unlikely because Toronto would save very little in this scenario. Toronto most likely lets him playout the season and doesn't pickup his team option for next year. I can dream that Toronto agrees to a buyout.

You are right and I am mistaken, it's a club option at 23 mil next season. Somehow, I don't see the Raptors wanting that contract for a position they have depth.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#7 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:36 am

A 27-year-old in his prime without injury history and with a team option next season is not a profile of a player who you can find in the buyout market. So I can't see Brown is back. The former Nuggets which was a realistic 2024 option was Plumlee but not anymore after the latest Zubac injury, so I guess the only former Denver player available during the buyout will be veteran Danilo Gallinari (currently in Washington).

Here are some interesting players I can see this season available via buyout:

Delon Wright (+Galo), Washington Wizards
Joe Harris, Alec Burks, Detroit Pistons
Cedi Osman, Doug McDermott, San Antonio Spurs
Gordon Hayward, Charlotte Hornets
Patty Mills, Atlanta Hawks
Kelly Olynyk, Utah Jazz
Thaddeus Young, Toronto Raptors
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 911

Post#8 » by Pokuokic » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:48 pm

Trade for Poku
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:55 pm

Pokuokic wrote:Trade for Poku

Why, what has he done ??? Collect a paycheck ?? No thanks, he's not even averaging 1pt per game this year

skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:54 pm

New buyout rule in the CBA this year that affects the Nuggets states:

"First, here’s the new rule: A team whose salary is above either the first or second tax apron is not permitted to sign a free agent on the buyout market if his pre-waiver salary exceeded the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.

For the 2023/24 season, that means that any team whose taxable salary is above $172,346,000 is ineligible to sign a player who was cut this season if he was earning more than $12,405,000."

So, no Gordon Heyward or many other buyout candidates (sorry The Joker), as Denver falls into this dilemma.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:08 pm

skywalker33 wrote:New buyout rule in the CBA this year that affects the Nuggets states:

"First, here’s the new rule: A team whose salary is above either the first or second tax apron is not permitted to sign a free agent on the buyout market if his pre-waiver salary exceeded the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.

For the 2023/24 season, that means that any team whose taxable salary is above $172,346,000 is ineligible to sign a player who was cut this season if he was earning more than $12,405,000."

So, no Gordon Heyward or many other buyout candidates (sorry The Joker), as Denver falls into this dilemma.

That looks about right unfortunately.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:56 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:New buyout rule in the CBA this year that affects the Nuggets states:

That looks about right unfortunately.

Yeah, it looks like we're gonna have to make a trade (if possible) to improve this team. With Gilispie looking good in the G-League, perhaps Nnaji + Jackson could bring us something we might need

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#13 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm

If Sky is right the players to watch from my original TOP10 list available for Denver are (with 3 deleted):

Delon Wright, Danilo Gallinari, Washington Wizards
Alec Burks, Detroit Pistons
Cedi Osman, San Antonio Spurs
Kelly Olynyk, Utah Jazz
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:08 am

THE J0KER wrote:If Sky is right the players to watch from my original TOP10 list available for Denver are (with 3 deleted):

Kelly Olynyk, Utah Jazz

What do you mean "if Sky is right" ?? LOL but out of your candidates, Burks looks like the most optimistic to be of help. Where do we get $10M worth of trade value, Nnaji only brings $4.4M so we have some limitations on trade value

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:58 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:If Sky is right the players to watch from my original TOP10 list available for Denver are (with 3 deleted):

Kelly Olynyk, Utah Jazz

What do you mean "if Sky is right" ?? LOL but out of your candidates, Burks looks like the most optimistic to be of help. Where do we get $10M worth of trade value, Nnaji only brings $4.4M so we have some limitations on trade value

This is a potential 2024 buyout list, not trade wishes.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Post#16 » by Manolito » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am

Sky is right, with new CBA, teams over first apron can sign only players whose pre buy-out salary is lower than MLE.

Olynyk won't be bough out. Burks has been my first priority long time ago, but there will be strong competition. Monte Morris would be also great if he can be healthy. D. Wright would also fit well in case we trade Jackson for a scorer guy

I would trade Cancar/DAJ for Bitadze. With Carter Jr and Isaac healthy (big if), he is a DNP CD player at almost minimum salary. His price should be low (2 SRP) because he is expiring. We have already long track record trading for expiring backup C (McGee & Bryant).

I also like Tate from Rockets. Nnaji straight (I don't think so) or Jackson + Cancar/DAJ adding some SRPs.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 am

The biggest trade-deadline market *bomb* is probably Miles Bridges from the Hornets who playing under an expiring 8M contract. The contender or dark horse who takes him cheaply for 2024 playoff purposes will significantly improve his roster and title chances because he is a two-way player with a quality-wise value of around 20-25M. The worst thing about him is that he is available via trade to teams whose salary cap is full, while the price is low. Let's hope MB will not finish in a team that already is a 2024 TOP5 contender.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Post#18 » by Manolito » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:01 pm

THE J0KER wrote:The biggest trade-deadline market *bomb* is probably Miles Bridges from the Hornets who playing under an expiring 8M contract. The contender or dark horse who takes him cheaply for 2024 playoff purposes will significantly improve his roster and title chances because he is a two-way player with a quality-wise value of around 20-25M. The worst thing about him is that he is available via trade to teams whose salary cap is full, while the price is low. Let's hope MB will not finish in a team that already is a 2024 TOP5 contender.

Fully agree, I can see Miles Bridges being traded to PHO, LAC or LAL pretty cheap, as he has veto clause and already lost his Bird rights.

Regarding Nuggets, I would bet we trade for Bitadze x Cancar + SRP. Later on we try to add a buyout playmaker (Monte Morris) waving DAJ
skywalker33

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:28 pm

I get the feeling we won't be making any moves this year, we don't really need a starter, and the bench, while young, is making strides. If we get a really strong offer for one of our young guys (not named Watson), I can see a slight possibility but not likely IMO

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#20 » by THE J0KER » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:19 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I get the feeling we won't be making any moves this year, we don't really need a starter, and the bench, while young, is making strides. If we get a really strong offer for one of our young guys (not named Watson), I can see a slight possibility but not likely IMO

I'm not happy to see that some big contenders like the Clippers, Bucks, Suns, and Celtics, which already improved their rosters this season with all-star players like Harden, Lillard, Beal, and KP, so their cap is in hell, still very aggressively trying to improve their bench this trade deadline, while Denver lost his 6th men BB is the only passive TOP5 contender.

Return to Denver Nuggets