Galarraga loses perfect game-one of worst calls ever

Moderator: TyCobb

RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Re: Galarraga loses perfect game-one of worst calls ever 

Post#61 » by RalphWiggum » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:21 am

Mak wrote:Is there any way this can be reversed by MLB? Change the call and make it a perfect game?

Ya there is, nothing happened after the call to change the outcome of the game, act is if the 28th batter never got to the plate call the guy out and give the guy his perfect game. If Selig wants he can make a one time exception considering the circumstances, these things happen less than once every 5 years and to not give this kid at least a documented perfect game when it is so easy to do would be black mark on the game, there will be instant replay next year as a result, he'll never have to do it again. This isn't like changing a basket in the 3rd quarter where everything else after changes as a result, he was clearly out and thus the game should have ended right at that moment. He will never get to celebrate on the field or in the clubhouse with his teammates which is much a part of something like that as the notoriety at least put him in the books, it's the right thing to do and no law will be broken to do it.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#62 » by studcrackers » Thu Jun 3, 2010 7:15 am

Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#63 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Jun 3, 2010 10:43 am

Feel sorry for the dude and hope it gets overturned..
Funniest thing about the replay was the Indians batter was shocked when he was called safe..even he wanted to be out!
l2RDO
Junior
And1: 0

Post#64 » by l2RDO » Thu Jun 3, 2010 11:20 am

I agree that the MLB should change the stats and give the kid the perfect game. I actually looked up the boxscore to see if anything happened afterwards, and nothing did. If some other guys had gotten hits, or he had walked someone, I would say no to awarding him the perfect game, but he got the next batter out. It sucks because youre looking at setting a precedent, and everyone else is going to want games changed afterwards, but doesnt that already happen when teams play games "under protest?"
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#65 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 2:52 pm

Alright I'm no baseball expert so I apologize if I sound ignorant...but here goes:

After watching the replay like 5 or 6 times, it seems to me that the runner touched home plate BEFORE the ball was firmly caught into the mitt. So it sort of looked to me the runner was "safe" or at least a VERY touch call to make in real life time.

Here me out !

When I saw replay the first 2 times, I thought the runner was out b/c the ball got into the mitt before he touched the base. But then after I saw it more, it seems like the ball (this is very hard to describe) was actually in the "area" of the mitt and about to touch it...BUT NOT TOUCHED IT

So if you see it a couple of times, when you see the ball in the area of the grip before it touches, it seems the ball actually hit the mitt, which means the runner is out. But if you look closely, it seems to me the ball ACTUALLY HITS THE MITT right after the runner touches the base.

But it looks like the ball hit the mitt before he reached the base (only b/c the ball was in the area of the mitt and about to hit it) but in fact the ball had not made contact with the mitt until after the runner was safe.

Does anyone understand what I meant ?? :oops:

(I'm probably 100% wrong anyway but just wanted to throw it out there)
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#66 » by Da Schwab » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:03 pm

Here are the two top stories on ESPN.com right now:

MLB deciding whether to review call

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

Denkinger supports replay in baseball

Don Denkinger knows a thing or two about what Jim Joyce is going through.

Denkinger, whose questionable call at first base in Game 6 of the 1985 World Series helped the Kansas City Royals come back to beat the St. Louis Cardinals, told the New York Post that he supports the use of instant replay in baseball to reverse blown calls such as the one Joyce made Wednesday night, costing Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

"There are so many areas you can use instant replay," Denkinger said, according to the Post. "Maybe instant replay can clean things up. If a play is missed, it can be corrected. I didn't feel that way in '85, but I feel that way now."

Something may happen in the next few days that could really turn baseball into NFL Lite.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,093

Post#67 » by Pharmcat » Thu Jun 3, 2010 4:14 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:Alright I'm no baseball expert so I apologize if I sound ignorant...but here goes:

After watching the replay like 5 or 6 times, it seems to me that the runner touched home plate BEFORE the ball was firmly caught into the mitt. So it sort of looked to me the runner was "safe" or at least a VERY touch call to make in real life time.

Here me out !

When I saw replay the first 2 times, I thought the runner was out b/c the ball got into the mitt before he touched the base. But then after I saw it more, it seems like the ball (this is very hard to describe) was actually in the "area" of the mitt and about to touch it...BUT NOT TOUCHED IT

So if you see it a couple of times, when you see the ball in the area of the grip before it touches, it seems the ball actually hit the mitt, which means the runner is out. But if you look closely, it seems to me the ball ACTUALLY HITS THE MITT right after the runner touches the base.

But it looks like the ball hit the mitt before he reached the base (only b/c the ball was in the area of the mitt and about to hit it) but in fact the ball had not made contact with the mitt until after the runner was safe.

:eek1: the play was at first base
mattbulls
Head Coach
And1: 127

Post#68 » by mattbulls » Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:18 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:Alright I'm no baseball expert so I apologize if I sound ignorant...but here goes:

Here me out !

Once it's in the glove it's viewed as the first moment it's caught. It doesn't have to hit the back, it just has to be covered.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 383

Post#69 » by Jersey Generals » Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:45 pm

Here me out !

It's called a snow-cone catch, and as long as the player isn't bobbling it or juggling it, its considered a catch.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#70 » by Posey H8er » Thu Jun 3, 2010 6:19 pm

In my view Miguel Cabrera took a risk going after the ball considering that it's angle was directed closer to second baseman Carlos Guillen. Not saying that Joyce isn't to blame but I think it would have been an easy out had it been played out that way.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,445

Post#71 » by trwi7 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 7:15 pm

And of course Selig is a **** clown and doesn't overturn the call.

Now not only does he rob Galarraga of history, it also has the potential to make Joyce's life a living hell.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#72 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 3, 2010 8:29 pm

trwi7 wrote:And of course Selig is a **** clown and doesn't overturn the call.

Now not only does he rob Galarraga of history, it also has the potential to make Joyce's life a living hell.

One word answer to why he cant overturn the call. Gambling. Next time he'll have to oveturn the outcome of a game.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#73 » by VinnyTheMick » Thu Jun 3, 2010 9:02 pm

He can overturn the ruling then pull a Supreme Court & say "this decision cannot be used as precedent in future cases" (Gore v Bush, 2000)
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#74 » by craig01 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 9:45 pm

As brutal as the bad call was, not overturning it is the right call.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#75 » by 5DOM » Thu Jun 3, 2010 11:11 pm

i was hoping they overturned it.
it was the final out.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#77 » by craig01 » Fri Jun 4, 2010 12:26 am

Pharmcat wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2xs7POefg&feature=player_embedded

One of the positives out of all of this is how gracious almost everyone handled the blunder.

The Tigers, their fans, Leyland, Galarraga, and Joyce turned an obvious black eye into a moment of compassion and forgiveness.

Baseball is still great despite it's flaws.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to The General MLB Board