Bumgarner or Kershaw?

Moderator: TyCobb

Who would you rather have anchoring your rotation?

Madison Bumgarner
48%
Clayton Kershaw
52%

Total votes: 62

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: Bumgarner or Kershaw? 

Post#121 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:56 pm

You're right in that regard.

Clayton Kershaw has never dated a gal named Clayton Kershaw.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#122 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 pm

I know the hardocre stats guys will say there is no such thing as "nerves" in baseball. It's all good luck and bad luck, and guys like Kershaw and Price will get closer to their regular season numbers with a larger sample size. I don't buy that for a second though.

I might have agreed with that sentiment before I got to see Price choke first hand for my team, but not anymore. I've never seen a baseball player more visibly nervous than Price that game. He wasn't even through the first inning and he was already drenched in sweat (it was a cold day). His eyes were wide open and full of fear, like an animal being hunted and he was constantly taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down. That isn't bad luck. That's Price being nervous. And you can't pitch well when you're nervous.

I'd assume it's a similar situation with Kershaw.

With that said, Kershaw is still the better pitcher than Bumgarner.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Post#123 » by RalphWiggum » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 pm

This is the same as the age old Manning vs Brady debate. If you're a Manning guy you probably think Kershaw is better, if you're a Brady guy you probably think Bumgarner is better. It's stats and awards vs pressure performer and rings.

Kershaw had better pitch great tonight or he is going to have a very hard time shaking the playoff choker label and it's going to be fair criticism.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#124 » by El Turco » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:10 pm

i think lot of it comes down to fans appreciating winning. jays and dodgers fans have been waiting combined almost 50 years for a title, so most don't know/forgot how winning feels like or liberating it could be thus they are easily enamored just by regular season performances. even a guy like lincecum who has been utter crap last few seasons is immensely popular in san francisco for what he did in 2010.

even the average pitchers stumble into a great performance once in awhile in playoffs, dodgers' hope that day is today. it takes a special guy like bum to go on multiple dominant runs tho, i dont see that getting duplicated any time soon.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#125 » by isiah_thomas » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Bum cause I know what I'll get in the playoffs. Tonight is a huge game for Kershaw
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,894

Post#126 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:26 am

El Turco wrote:i think lot of it comes down to fans appreciating winning. jays and dodgers fans have been waiting combined almost 50 years for a title, so most don't know/forgot how winning feels like or liberating it could be thus they are easily enamored just by regular season performances. even a guy like lincecum who has been utter crap last few seasons is immensely popular in san francisco for what he did in 2010.

even the average pitchers stumble into a great performance once in awhile in playoffs, dodgers' hope that day is today. it takes a special guy like bum to go on multiple dominant runs tho, i dont see that getting duplicated any time soon.

Jack Morris and Bummy boy can reminisce about those memories together at someone else's Hall of Fame party.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#127 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 am

Madison Bumgarner will be in the HOF, good reminder
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#128 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:21 am

RalphWiggum wrote:This is the same as the age old Manning vs Brady debate. If you're a Manning guy you probably think Kershaw is better, if you're a Brady guy you probably think Bumgarner is better. It's stats and awards vs pressure performer and rings.

Kershaw had better pitch great tonight or he is going to have a very hard time shaking the playoff choker label and it's going to be fair criticism.

That took on a different dynamic. Peyton was clearly "better" earlier in their careers and choked in the postseason. As Brady got older, he began to match what Peyton did in the regular season (49 or 50 TD season etc. etc.), so it kinda stopped just being about regular season performer vs. postseason performer.

And Madison has ONE dominant run. People started the rumblings of him in the postseason before last year because he had 2 WS starts (one in 2010 and one in 2012) where he wasn't touched.
His other starts in those postseasons weren't great or were less than stellar.

This IS about cluster luck and it's driven by Giants fans (mainly) and people who don't like baseball teams that cost a lot of money.

Madison is Schilling territory.
Hall of Very Good. Fans of the Giants will say he deserves it. He won't give many other writers boners when they look at his numbers though.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#129 » by El Turco » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:45 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
El Turco wrote:i think lot of it comes down to fans appreciating winning. jays and dodgers fans have been waiting combined almost 50 years for a title, so most don't know/forgot how winning feels like or liberating it could be thus they are easily enamored just by regular season performances. even a guy like lincecum who has been utter crap last few seasons is immensely popular in san francisco for what he did in 2010.

Jack Morris and Bummy boy can reminisce about those memories together at someone else's Hall of Fame party.

twins fan, fits into my theory perfectly
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#130 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I know the hardocre stats guys will say there is no such thing as "nerves" in baseball. It's all good luck and bad luck, and guys like Kershaw and Price will get closer to their regular season numbers with a larger sample size. I don't buy that for a second though.

I might have agreed with that sentiment before I got to see Price choke first hand for my team, but not anymore. I've never seen a baseball player more visibly nervous than Price that game. He wasn't even through the first inning and he was already drenched in sweat (it was a cold day). His eyes were wide open and full of fear, like an animal being hunted and he was constantly taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down. That isn't bad luck. That's Price being nervous. And you can't pitch well when you're nervous.

I'd assume it's a similar situation with Kershaw.

With that said, Kershaw is still the better pitcher than Bumgarner.

Just wanted to comment on this as well.
I've never felt like Kershaw was on the mound was nervous/ scared.
I actually thought his Game 4 start vs. the Cards last year was courageous as hell on 3 days rest and the sports gods gave him 2 balls up the middle (the weakest part of our defense/ team…undoubtedly those would be hit into shifts this year) and Matt Adams nailing a curve after 6 scoreless.

Could go through each **** start but it'd be tl;dr.
Just letting you know, I've never felt that way about him.

and I've seen a scared superstar before.
Game 5 Western Conference semis. Location: Oklahoma City.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#131 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 pm

World Series rings or Cy Youngs.

I'll take the former as a fan.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#132 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:59 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:World Series rings or Cy Youngs.

Yes.

Brian Sabean is better than his "protege" Ned Colletti.
I agree.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#133 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:World Series rings or Cy Youngs.

Yes.

Brian Sabean is better than his "protege" Ned Colletti.
I agree.

Brian Sabean isn't on the mound in game 7 of the world series.

Players win Championships.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#134 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Like the S at the end of player right there.

You're making this pretty easy.
DiamondParoxysm
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Post#135 » by DiamondParoxysm » Tue Feb 2, 2016 10:15 pm

Kershaw obviously
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/jacobfagan
DiamondParoxysm
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Post#136 » by DiamondParoxysm » Tue Feb 2, 2016 10:17 pm

"Kershaw has pitched 2000 better innings (MUCH BETTER) than Bumgarner but bumgarner was better in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOVE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE I'M A STUPID AMERICAN

Edit: sorry got carried away
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/jacobfagan
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#137 » by TKainZero » Fri Apr 8, 2016 5:58 am

Still a 50/50 split
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to The General MLB Board