111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS

Moderator: TyCobb

Was this loss for the 2022 Dodgers as disappointing as the 2007 Patriots and 2016 Warriors?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 79

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,619

Re: OT: 111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS 

Post#21 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:39 pm

dockingsched wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:Go Padres!!! Sick of the Dodgers fans booing the Clippers players at games, so **** em all.

It’s not just dodgers fans my friend, they got booed at the LA Coliseum and SoFi at a Rams games too. What you’re sick of is “los Angeles fans” :lol:

Much more so at Dodgers games. Years of harassment of Clippers players, they got what was coming to them. But yea in general, LA fans can be lame. I've always been for an OC or SD move, although I realize a couple rings, couple decades of winning, their own arena and things will definitely change some in LA. I just don't have the patience to deal with Dodgers fans in the meantime and their antics.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,801

Post#22 » by Triple M » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:40 pm

I'm happy for Bob Melvin because he's one of the best managers over the last 2 decades. The Padre fans deserve some good things too so I'm really happy they beat them bums.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,552

Post#23 » by azcatz11 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:40 pm

Seems like it should be best of 7 in the divisional round. They play 162 regular season games and it's best of 5?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#24 » by bebopdeluxe » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:40 pm

chuck_wagon44 wrote:Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They keep winning no matter what star(s) they lose (i.e. Correa, Springer, Cole) and they get no credit.

They have been winning since 2017 and been to the world series 3-4 times now in a short period of time.

Respect for those cheaters? Are you kidding me?

Excuse me while I go outside and bang a trash can lid…
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:42 pm

Pats and Warriors at least lost in the title game.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs is way worse.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,824

Post#26 » by Quattro » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:46 pm

Baseball should have never expanded the playoffs to the degree they did. You show yourselves to be the best teams in the game over a ridiculous 162 games and then you end up losing stupid 3 or 5 game series because of a bad night or two against inferior teams. Mets, Braves, Dodgers and soon to be Yankees.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,406

Post#27 » by Infinite Llamas » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Go Phils is all I have to add to this
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#28 » by HotelVitale » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:53 pm

king_james_vers wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Baseball lends itself to the best team consistently not winning the title due to how variable the small sample size of the playoffs can be and how that can affect a game. I’ll never consider any baseball matchup as a huge upset cause the better team loses all the time in a playoff series.

Nba has so many possessions to help the better team outshine the inferior team that often those teams don’t even stand a chance for one game.

Exactly.

Think about in the NBA how many times a game is won or lost based on 3-point performance in a given game. e.g. a team has an uncharacteristically hot/cold night shooting. MLB is like that, but on steroids.

Baseball is unique in that some success is beyond a batter's control. For example, a player could smoke the living daylights out of a ball, and it could be hit right at a well-positioned defender for an out. Meanwhile, another player could make weak contact, and have it fall in for a fluke bloop single. You can't really luck into baskets with poor shots in the NBA, except in extreme fluke edge cases.

You don't really see an analog like that in the NBA. If Curry has a shot with perfect form and execution, it's going in almost every time. A player's execution is much more closely correlated to results than in baseball, especially over a small sample size.

Also, individual talent is much more closely tied to success in the NBA. LeBron can appear in 10 Finals in a row, and meanwhile Mike Trout can make the playoffs 1 time in 10 seasons.

It's like what Billy Beane once said: "the playoffs are a **** crapshoot."

I agree with the premise but the variables are bigger and more pervasive than what you said IMO. First in basketball you're gonna score or be successful on that end about 50% of the time, while in baseball teams score in maybe, what, 20-25% of innings? Second is related to the thing you mentioned, that players have more direct control over their success--if Curry or Trae is rolling they can kinda will you to offensive success, while the best baseball players can't effect the game nearly that much. Plus Curry and Trae can lead the offense every single play while batters have to wait their turn, plus good scorers can score at around 60% efficiency (opposed to a good hitter batting .300 and .400 on-base), etc. Third, you generally need streaks of good things in baseball to win--like if you get 5 hits in a row that's much much more valuable than getting 5 hits spread out across 3 innings. Basketball is often a game of streaks/runs but everything counts the same, hit a shot in the 1st quarter and it's two pts vs hitting a shot with 15 seconds left still 2 pts.

(Also you're right that sometimes good and bad contact end up in the opposite results, but generally speaking that's not true. Good contact gets you a a much, much, much better chance at success than weak contact, it's pretty rare that bad contact gets you anything good. And most times you club the ball square on you're gonna get at least a single, definitely happens that you hit it right at someone but it's not that common.)
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Post#29 » by Stan » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Not even CLOSE :lol: Not only did those other teams actually break the all time win record, something the Dodgers did not, they came within literally one play of winning the championship, while the Dodgers got bounced in the first round.

Again, this isn't even close lol.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,341

Post#30 » by Scalabrine » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm

Homer38 wrote:The crazy thing is that the dodgers completely outplayed the padres in the regular season (14-5 with a differential of over +60)...that's a big upset.And they had 22 more win that the padres.This is the biggest upset in MLB since 1906!

Read on Twitter

Absolutely insane!

It is important to note that the Fathers made a huge trade mid-season to get one of the best players in baseball, though.
Go Knicks!
Yeggo Poleggo
Rookie
And1: 1,244

Post#31 » by Yeggo Poleggo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:22 pm

dockingsched wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:Go Padres!!! Sick of the Dodgers fans booing the Clippers players at games, so **** em all.

It’s not just dodgers fans my friend, they got booed at the LA Coliseum and SoFi at a Rams games too. What you’re sick of is “los Angeles fans” :lol:

Clipper fans get boo'ed because noone wants them in SoCal.
World's biggest Kobe Bryant fan.

levon wrote:this board: "THT's negative value"

this board after he's traded: "I like THT, and he's so young! stupid Lakers let another one go"

literally every Lakers young player in the last 7 years
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#32 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:26 pm

That would infuriate me too, but there a lot of Clipper fans who cheer for the Dodgers- I'm a bigger Clipper fan because I'm a much bigger basketball fan than baseball.

I think this edition of the Dodgers was overrated- few of their starting pitchers can go beyond 5 innings (or management is telling Roberts to yank them out for some reason) and they had too much dead weight in the line up- Muncey was subpar this season and Bellinger has never been the same since his shoulder injury.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#33 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Yeggo Poleggo wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

yet Clipper games are often sold out and not just with the other team's fans.

While still far behind the Lakers, the Clippers fan base has grown over the past 10 years and they have become more vocal too at games. Progress occurs gradually. Ballmer has shown commitment by having his own arena built- they aren't going anywhere
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#34 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:29 pm

Yeggo Poleggo wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

You root for both Boston and LA sports teams man. Figure it out.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#35 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Yeggo Poleggo wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

While still far behind the Lakers, the Clippers fan base has grown over the past 10 years and they have become more vocal too at games. Progress occurs gradually. Ballmer has shown commitment by having his own arena built- they aren't going anywhere

In 20 years... maybe less it will be a 50/50 split if the Clippers can add a couple or few rings in that time. We already have the data, and the rate of new or kid NBA fans in LA becoming Clippers fans is way higher than in the past. The Inglewood arena will accelerate that. The Clippers completely revamped 350+ basketball courts in LA at no cost to taxpayers. Every kid playing in LA will be playing on Clippers themed, nice courts. The problem is having to wait for these little rascals to grow up. In the meantime, I'll be belligerent with Dodgers and Lakers fans who disrespect.

Read on Twitter

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#36 » by FlyingArrow » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:26 pm

Homer38 wrote:The crazy thing is that the dodgers completely outplayed the padres in the regular season (14-5 with a differential of over +60)...that's a big upset.And they had 22 more win that the padres.This is the biggest upset in MLB since 1906!

Read on Twitter

To be fair, it's been so long because the exapnded postseason is what makes such win discrepancies in the postseason more likely. I'm sure it would have happened sooner if we had 100+ years of wildcards.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#37 » by Sixerscan » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:46 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Hearing a lot of people(fans of eliminated teams) complain about the playoff format and I wouldnt be surprised if MLB just copies the NBA and makes every series best of 7. You just had 3 100-win teams all get eliminated before the LCS. Wouldnt be surprised if the talking heads jump on this tomorrow especially if the Yanks fall tonight. Barring injuries its rare that something like this happens in the NBA and thats the way the networks would prefer it.

Ironically the only year the Dodgers actually won during this run was a 60 game season where 16 teams made the playoffs and no bye in the 3 game first round.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#38 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Baseball completely different game than basketball or football .
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#39 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:23 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Hearing a lot of people(fans of eliminated teams) complain about the playoff format and I wouldnt be surprised if MLB just copies the NBA and makes every series best of 7. You just had 3 100-win teams all get eliminated before the LCS. Wouldnt be surprised if the talking heads jump on this tomorrow especially if the Yanks fall tonight. Barring injuries its rare that something like this happens in the NBA and thats the way the networks would prefer it.

I prefer the MLB format to be honest. If you’re the best you shouldn’t need every series to be seven games to prove it.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#40 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:26 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Yeggo Poleggo wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

Well the best thing to look forward to is the future and it's insane how much money Ballmer has poured into it knowing that his R.O.I. will be tenfold. Best thing that could've happened to the Clippers and the NBA in general was Ballmer stepping in and discarding the past that was Sterling alienating players, the league and it's fans and going into a new direction.

The other smarter move is that it doesn't make sense to pursue the older generations that'll be diehard Lakers fans who'd thumb their nose at the Clippers and the best thing to do is go after the younger demographic. Best case scenario for the Clippers is that you could have a dynamic similar to the Yankees/Mets in New York which wouldn't be too shabby. Winning some rings would be nice as well but LA is such a large market that you'll have a bevy of fans to go after.

The best move was keeping prices decently affordable especially compared to Lakers games. I visited family in California and the Clippers game was insanely cheap in 2018. Was able to get a good price that was similar to what the Nets would be charging at Barclays which honestly was nice.

Return to The General MLB Board