111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS

Moderator: TyCobb

Was this loss for the 2022 Dodgers as disappointing as the 2007 Patriots and 2016 Warriors?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 79

California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,684

111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS 

Post#1 » by California Gold » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:06 am

Firstly, my condolences Dodgers fans.

Secondly - question I had for sports fans - Is this just as bad as the 73-9 Warriors and 18-0 Patriots losing in the postseason? I know it's not quite the same since the Dodgers didn't make it to the championship round but they had an all-time great roster, were the clear favorite to win it all, and Dave Roberts went as far as to guarantee a title back in March. This just seems like such an astronomical defeat and upset and it came at the hands of their division rival who they had beaten 16 times this year. One post season win to show for this payroll.
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 972

Re: OT: 111 win Dodgers lose in NLDS 

Post#2 » by EliteSmarts » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:33 am

LA Dodgers have consistently choked in the playoffs. They finally won WS but that was in Covid season, still give them credit for the WS.

The type of talent they have, they should have at least won 1 more WS, prob 2.

I don't think this is no where near as bad as 07 Pats as that team was undefeated and only undefeated team we've seen in NFL 16 game season.

I think Warriors was also more the shocking, due to the fact they were 3-1 up in finals.

Also 2001 Mariners won most games or at least top 3 record in history of MLB and also lost in ALDS, so we've seen this before.

I think Dave Roberts will prob be fired.

I'm only casual MLB fan so like to hear from more die hard fans of the sport.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,168

Post#3 » by rand » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:36 am

Dodgers didn't even reach their league's semi-finals. Warriors and Patriots both lost by an extremely close margin in the championships. Dodgers is worst.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#4 » by Homer38 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:17 am

The crazy thing is that the dodgers completely outplayed the padres in the regular season (14-5 with a differential of over +60)...that's a big upset.And they had 22 more win that the padres.This is the biggest upset in MLB since 1906!

Read on Twitter
chuck_wagon44
Senior
And1: 625

Post#5 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They keep winning no matter what star(s) they lose (i.e. Correa, Springer, Cole) and they get no credit.

They have been winning since 2017 and been to the world series 3-4 times now in a short period of time.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#6 » by heezyo2o » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:53 pm

Even though they got more wins this year, I don't think this team was better than the last couple years. Dodgers had a black hole in the 8 and 9th slot in the batting order. In the past they had clutch hits off bench from kik e hernandez and Joc pederson...both gone. Muncy had an off year, Justin Turner had an off year too (couldn't catch up to a fastball in the postseason), and bellinger is just trash now.

They had a deep starting pitching rotation, but how many real aces were there. Urias, the number 1 pitcher this year was the 3rd or 4th option last couple of seasons. And no closer...closer by committee. 111 wins doesn't mean anything, this dodger team wasn't even as good as previous seasons.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#7 » by Karate Diop » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:57 pm

chuck_wagon44 wrote:Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They keep winning no matter what star(s) they lose (i.e. Correa, Springer, Cole) and they get no credit.

They have been winning since 2017 and been to the world series 3-4 times now in a short period of time.

Can't tell if this is serious... It should be self explanatory why nobody puts RESPEK on a cheating organization.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,792

Post#8 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:08 pm

275 million dollar payroll and nothing to show for it. Always satisfying to see the big markets with sky high payrolls lose early
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,210

Post#9 » by jokeboy86 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Hearing a lot of people(fans of eliminated teams) complain about the playoff format and I wouldnt be surprised if MLB just copies the NBA and makes every series best of 7. You just had 3 100-win teams all get eliminated before the LCS. Wouldnt be surprised if the talking heads jump on this tomorrow especially if the Yanks fall tonight. Barring injuries its rare that something like this happens in the NBA and thats the way the networks would prefer it.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,225

Post#10 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:39 pm

chuck_wagon44 wrote:Where is the respect for the Houston Astros, America's team!

They lost their America’s team title a while back but they’re really friggin good. Verlander is an immortal vampire
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#11 » by Masai4PM » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Their respect is in the trash can they used to cheat from
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 487

Post#12 » by TheChaser » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:57 pm

rand wrote:Dodgers didn't even reach their league's semi-finals. Warriors and Patriots both lost by an extremely close margin in the championships. Dodgers is worst.

Actually, baseball works a little differently. This was, technically the national league’s semifinals.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#13 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:04 pm

This is more comparable to the 60+ Win Mavericks losing in the 1st round with the MVP
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
MagicFan12345
Senior
And1: 529

Post#14 » by MagicFan12345 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Why would Astros get respect if Astros cheated?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,631

Post#15 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Go Padres!!! Sick of the Dodgers fans booing the Clippers players at games, so **** em all.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#16 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Baseball lends itself to the best team consistently not winning the title due to how variable the small sample size of the playoffs can be and how that can affect a game. I’ll never consider any baseball matchup as a huge upset cause the better team loses all the time in a playoff series.

Nba has so many possessions to help the better team outshine the inferior team that often those teams don’t even stand a chance for one game.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm

ClipsFanAgain wrote:Go Padres!!! Sick of the Dodgers fans booing the Clippers players at games, so **** em all.

It’s not just dodgers fans my friend, they got booed at the LA Coliseum and SoFi at a Rams games too. What you’re sick of is “los Angeles fans” :lol:
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#18 » by Bobbymcgee » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:21 pm

Sucks to see a local team lose but low key glad to see Dodger fans humbled again. Some are pretty obnoxious.
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#19 » by king_james_vers » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:32 pm

dockingsched wrote:Baseball lends itself to the best team consistently not winning the title due to how variable the small sample size of the playoffs can be and how that can affect a game. I’ll never consider any baseball matchup as a huge upset cause the better team loses all the time in a playoff series.

Nba has so many possessions to help the better team outshine the inferior team that often those teams don’t even stand a chance for one game.

Exactly.

Think about in the NBA how many times a game is won or lost based on 3-point performance in a given game. e.g. a team has an uncharacteristically hot/cold night shooting. MLB is like that, but on steroids.

Baseball is unique in that some success is beyond a batter's control. For example, a player could smoke the living daylights out of a ball, and it could be hit right at a well-positioned defender for an out. Meanwhile, another player could make weak contact, and have it fall in for a fluke bloop single. You can't really luck into baskets with poor shots in the NBA, except in extreme fluke edge cases.

You don't really see an analog like that in the NBA. If Curry has a shot with perfect form and execution, it's going in almost every time. A player's execution is much more closely correlated to results than in baseball, especially over a small sample size.

Also, individual talent is much more closely tied to success in the NBA. LeBron can appear in 10 Finals in a row, and meanwhile Mike Trout can make the playoffs 1 time in 10 seasons.

It's like what Billy Beane once said: "the playoffs are a **** crapshoot."
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,478

Post#20 » by ellobo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:39 pm

High variance sport + short series + best players only involved in a limited number of plays/games = "Upsets" based on regular season records.

If you're good enough to get to the postseason, it's a lot more important to be the hottest team in the playoffs than the best team over 162 games. If you're the best team AND going well in the moment that's one thing; you'll be hard to beat and that does happen quite a bit. But a team that's good enough to be there, is collectively in the zone, and maybe gets a few breaks, can often win series and championships over better teams.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.

Return to The General MLB Board