Top 10 players of all time - a more modern take

Moderator: TyCobb

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Top 10 players of all time - a more modern take 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:59 pm

I'm not the biggest baseball expert but I noticed the most common top 10 players list for MLB trends VERY old - for example someone's list might be like: Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Roger Clemens, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Ted Williams, Honus Wagner. Lists like this to me ignore that guys who played a hundred+ years ago would not have faced the same depth of talent considering the population growth, sports popularity and feasibility to make a living, and segregation, not to mention strategy.

Therefore with help of the WAR list I came up with one that tried to take into account modern era more. In no order:

Barry Bonds
Babe Ruth
Willie Mays
Alex Rodriguez
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Greg Maddux
Pedro Martinez
Rickey Hendersen
Albert Pujols

- Bonds is probably GOAT as he went human cheat code, even his Pirates version was on his way to being in here using my criteria

- Ruth and Mays had enough dominance in their time, I determined. Yes 1920s was forever ago but I'm not sure how you're supposed to do more than Ruth did to earn consideration here. I actually left Cobb off cause 1910s baseball seems a step too far to me even compared to late 20s or 30s, but it's probably relatively close cut as he was more dominant in this time than say Pujols. Ted Williams has a bit less longevity than a guy like Mays and missed a few years.

- In addition to Clemens, Maddux, Johnson and Martinez had HUGE resumes between peak dominance or longevity, they seem like good picks to replace the ancient pitchers on this list. Kershaw and Verlander are probably pretty close, let's say top 15-20.

- ARod and Pujols mix dominance with being one of the more recent players on this list.

- I think Hendersen, Ripken, Jr. and Mike Schmidt are some good candidates from around 80s time period, I decided to give slight edge to Hendersen as he had nice world series runs.

You could make a Trout case as the strategy has improved even since early 2000s, however I don't like the lack of playoffs combined with how I feel like the media attention in baseball has gone down since early 2000s, I think he had to deal with a lot less than young prodigies like ARod and Griffey did even when they were on bad teams making it easier to just put up those stats, this might cancel out a little bit of defensive formation and pitcher maps using advanced ways to play him, though not all of it. Still he could end up on the list eventually.

Edit - I originally had Ripken but replaced him with Pedro, the latter didn't burn out quite as fast as I thought and had amazing peak.

Return to The General MLB Board