Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Re: Caleb Williams and other 2024 NFL Draft QB Prospects 

Post#121 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:12 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The thing with Penix is that he has to go to a team with a solid offensive line. If he goes to a team with poor O-line, he'll struggle. When he has a clean pocket, he's very good. But his performance when he's pressured on a consistent basis drops off significantly. You saw that in the matchup against Michigan. That's my biggest concern with him.

Yea, where he’s expected to be drafted though he’s likely to get drafted by a team with a good OL. Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Dallas (fingers crossed), or Tampa (if the lose Baker) would all be good fits for Penix.

Jerry said he wasn't drafting a QB this year. He's all in on Dak & Lance. I heard him say it.

Jerry has always said that at this time of year you can always tell when he’s lying, when his lips are moving. I’m not saying Jerry will definitely move on from Dak, I’m just saying he’s known to lie so you never know with Jerry.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#122 » by DOT » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Simms has a pretty good history with his picks. He had Stroud #1 on his list last year.

Simms has a history of retconning his lists to make himself seem better

He puts out reactionary lists right before the draft, then waits a couple years before quietly deleting most of them and then broadcasting the one that was most accurate

People bring up his 2017 draft list where he had Josh Allen and Lamar as his 1 and 2, but his final version had Lamar #4 behind Baker at #3 and Josh Rosen at #2

He may very well get hits, but he's not actually evaluating, he's just throwing sh*t at the wall to be contrarian and hoping some of it sticks.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Mr B
RealGM

Post#123 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:38 pm

DOT wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Simms has a pretty good history with his picks. He had Stroud #1 on his list last year.

Simms has a history of retconning his lists to make himself seem better

He puts out reactionary lists right before the draft, then waits a couple years before quietly deleting most of them and then broadcasting the one that was most accurate

People bring up his 2017 draft list where he had Josh Allen and Lamar as his 1 and 2, but his final version had Lamar #4 behind Baker at #3 and Josh Rosen at #2

He may very well get hits, but he's not actually evaluating, he's just throwing sh*t at the wall to be contrarian and hoping some of it sticks.

He’s not as bad as Mel Kiper though. If Kiper has your top QB as his top QB, you can guarantee that guy will be a bust.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#124 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:36 pm

Greg Cossell: No arm talent on McCarthy, doesn't look like a first round talent on tape. Needs to put his whole body into throws.

Also, MI in high-leverage situations like 3rd and long had McCarthy hand off or throw screen passes. They didn't trust him.

Ross Tucker: They will be talking about how McCarthy has all these intangibles, how he just wins, which is a way to avoid talking about his deficiencies.

Penix - pocket QB, throws intermediate and deep balls better than anyone in the draft class. But his efficiency drops when there are people around him and the ball placement drops. Penix has better arm than Tua but is similar to Tua in that way, the drop in accuracy when under pressure.

But because of the lack of second reaction plays and movement, probably won't be a FRP. He'd have to get into a situation like the Dolphins where Tua gets rid of the ball fast but not all teams have elite WRs like the Dolphins.

Nix would be good in a Sean Payton offense. Not a power arm, can't drive the ball. Again like these other second tier QBs, fit-dependent.

Rattler has arm talent but no anticipation. Came out of high school as the #1 QB prospect.

Milton misses too many routine throws, has to be more educated on NFL passing concepts and coverages than others.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#125 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:53 pm

wco81 wrote:Greg Cossell: No arm talent on McCarthy, doesn't look like a first round talent on tape. Needs to put his whole body into throws.

Also, MI in high-leverage situations like 3rd and long had McCarthy hand off or throw screen passes. They didn't trust him.

Ross Tucker: They will be talking about how McCarthy has all these intangibles, how he just wins, which is a way to avoid talking about his deficiencies.

Read on Twitter

100%
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#126 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:Greg Cossell: No arm talent on McCarthy, doesn't look like a first round talent on tape. Needs to put his whole body into throws.

Read on Twitter

100%

I still say the Broncos will end up taking McCarthy with the 12th pick.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#127 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:21 pm

Mr B wrote:I still say the Broncos will end up taking McCarthy with the 12th pick.

Nix would be a perfect fit in that offense. But it sounds like McCarthy will go before him. Minnesota could take him at 11. Then maybe Denver takes Nix at 12.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#128 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:13 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:I still say the Broncos will end up taking McCarthy with the 12th pick.

Nix would be a perfect fit in that offense. But it sounds like McCarthy will go before him. Minnesota could take him at 11. Then maybe Denver takes Nix at 12.

I think that is the only way Denver doesn’t take McCarthy, if he’s already off the board.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#129 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Mr B wrote:What does everyone think of QB Joe Milton from Tennessee? He’s 6’5” 235 lbs and showed he has a big arm at the Combine.

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#130 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:27 pm

You wonder if a lot of people hope to see Caleb be a bust, like some guys like Manziel and other top picks who came into the league like they owned the place.

Deion may also be setting up his kid for a lot of schadenfreude, because he's already saying they will decide where he goes.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#131 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:What does everyone think of QB Joe Milton from Tennessee? He’s 6’5” 235 lbs and showed he has a big arm at the Combine.

Read on Twitter

Milton obviously needs work but if a team that has an older QB that still has a couple years left they should draft him (Atlanta should be listening here).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#132 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:11 pm

wco81 wrote:You wonder if a lot of people hope to see Caleb be a bust, like some guys like Manziel and other top picks who came into the league like they owned the place.

Deion may also be setting up his kid for a lot of schadenfreude, because he's already saying they will decide where he goes.

I said this last week and it seems that others are feeling the same way (local radio guys and people on Twitter), Deion is trying to set up for both he and his son Shedeur to join the Cowboys next season. Deion as the HC and his son as the starting QB. Deion mentioned 5 teams he’d like to see draft his son and the Cowboys were one of them.

If the Cowboys semi-tank and end up with a pick in the teens I could see them trading up for Shedeur.

Right now I’m just pulling this theory out of the air however I have a strong feelings that’s what Jerry is trying to set up.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 201

Post#133 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

wco81 wrote:You wonder if a lot of people hope to see Caleb be a bust, like some guys like Manziel and other top picks who came into the league like they owned the place.

Caleb is not cocky or full of himself like Johnny football who only care about himself over his team which was why people hated him. Caleb is a team player and gets emotional when he loses which are traits that I admire in a person. I hope he succeed as an elite QB in the pros. I would still take Jayden cause I love his style of play over Caleb aka Mahomes.
wco81
RealGM

Post#134 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

Some drumbeat for Daniel’s being the best prospect.

But it turns out that LSU may have a top 10 WR pick and the other WR may be top 15 or top 12?

So how much of Daniels production was having elite WRs?
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#135 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

wco81 wrote:Some drumbeat for Daniel’s being the best prospect.

But it turns out that LSU may have a top 10 WR pick and the other WR may be top 15 or top 12?

I guess you had the same doubt that Burrow's success at LSU was due to his elite wideout Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson as well Lol

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-wr-ja-marr-chase-overwhelmed-after-breaking-justin-jefferson-s-rookie-re

So.which QB would you take in this draft class? Thought so Lol
wco81
RealGM

Post#136 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:

I guess you had the same doubt that Burrow's success at LSU was due to his elite wideout Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson as well Lol

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-wr-ja-marr-chase-overwhelmed-after-breaking-justin-jefferson-s-rookie-re

True.

But Burrow had Chase and a couple of other good WRs too.

Stroud didn't have any "name" WRs last season but they turned out to be better than most people expected.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#137 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

wco81 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

True.

Stroud didn't have any "name" WRs last season but they turned out to be better than most people expected.

Didn’t Stroud have Marvin Harrison Jr and Jaxon Smith-Njigba?
wco81
RealGM

Post#138 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Mr B wrote:
wco81 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

True.

Probably. But someone was citing a stat this morning on ESPN. Burrow had like some number of explosive plays as a rookie over 15 games.

Stroud hit the same number in just 11 or 12 games.

Again he didn't have a WR with the pedigree of Chase or even Higgins, at least by rep coming into last season.

The thing I wonder is about someone like Leinart, who had all kinds of weapons at USC including Bush. He could lob it up and his WRs got so much separation it didn't matter. In the NFL that lack of arm strength didn't work.

Now obviously if he's graded at least #2, they're going to know if he has enough arm strength for the league.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#139 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

Mr B wrote:
wco81 wrote:True.

Harrison, JSN, Chris Olave & Garrett Wilson. He had all those guys, the two years he was the starter.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#140 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

wco81 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

True.

Don't need hype as long as you have good hands and speed in the NFL. However, I was wrong about CJ cause he played for a college program where the best 5 star WR recruits commits to over any other program that makes QB looks better than they really are and why most if not all OSU QB ended up being bust once they turn pro. If you wanted CJ over Bryce in last year's draft, then you most likely be a liar like most everyone else.

https://youtu.be/cD5acgyuo0k?si=lxr2YhYWPdclNm3l

Return to The General NFL Board