Moderator: bwgood77

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,476

Re: Draft thread 

Post#221 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:24 am

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Barton is lock to go in Round 1.

Yea that’s what I’m thinking too. If he’s still n the board at 24 I would be one of shocked if Dallas doesn’t draft him. If Barton is gone, again I would not be shocked if Dallas drafted Zach Frazier.

Here is some of the latest draft intel from a reliable source:

OL prospects

Teams are not as high on Jackson Powers-Johnson as the consensus. Both JPJ and Frazier are being mocked too high. Both are expected to be 2nd Round picks.

Graham Barton may go as high as 14 given his versatility and won't drop past pick 24.

Some teams have JC Latham as their top tackle, ahead of even Joe Alt.

Fautanu could go top 10, and is OL1 or OL2 on teams boards.

Mims is a top 20 lock. Mims is a favorite of PITT, CIN, and LV.

League seems to be lower on Fashanu than the media.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#222 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:27 am

DOT wrote:I think Nix has more potential, like yeah Penix has a cannon for an arm and Nix doesn't, but Nix has that ability to make plays out of structure which the top QBs today all can that Penix really can't

Of course he's not great at it, if he were he'd be Caleb, but I have him ranked higher than Penix based on potential even not including the future injury concerns.

Is that really true though? Mahomes can and has won Superbowls with it. Wilson won 1 SB, mostly making plays, not playing in structure, but he was carried by the Seahawks defense. Rothlisberger made a lot of plays extending plays, shaking off tackles.

But who else?

Caleb has made a lot of plays outside the pocket. Remains to be seen if he can do that consistently in the NFL.

Even for playmaking QBs, I think they have the arm talent to hit big pass plays from pocket, on schedule.

Mahomes and the Chiefs get away with holding too. Lot of times, when QBs break the pocket, you get holds as ends are grabbed to let the QB get outside. Chiefs don't get holding calls in big games because the league wants Mahomes to shine.

So drafting a QB with the expectation that he'll be able to make big plays and that the NFL will anoint him like they did Mahomes seems like a gamble.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,330

Post#223 » by DOT » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:55 pm

wco81 wrote:So drafting a QB with the expectation that he'll be able to make big plays and that the NFL will anoint him like they did Mahomes seems like a gamble.

That's not even close to what I said lol

wco81 wrote:Even for playmaking QBs, I think they have the arm talent to hit big pass plays from pocket, on schedule.

And I never said they didn't

I'm saying you need to do both to be an elite QB, you wanna talk about Roethlisberger, a guy whose last Superbowl came in 2008 like he's still super relevant and not talk about the QB play we saw in 2023

If you can't play in structure, you won't be a good QB, if you can't play out of structure, you won't be a great QB. In the conversation of Penix vs Nix, I can buy that Penix will be the better QB because his floor is higher, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nix were better in the end because he has a higher ceiling due to the lack of play extension Penix shows

But I don't have either as first round picks in this draft, and for most QBs the situation they come into is vital to their development, which is why I would bet on Penix or Nix doing better in Minny for example than anyone drafted to New England, even if I have much higher grades on Daniels/Maye who are very likely to be the New England pick this year.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by DOT » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm

Word on the street is, Jags are potentially about to make a move for a WR

Due to the Josh Allen extension, we've freed up a lot of cap this year, so we can trade for and extend one of the WRs on the block

Rumored deal was the 9ers wanted Zay Jones and our 1st for Aiyuk and we said no, but now that we have the space to extend him, I think that's back on the table but hopefully we're doing the smart thing and seeing how the draft shakes out, cause if we can get one of the top WRs (like say if Odunze falls to a range we can trade up to get would be my ideal scenario), that's probably better for our cap situation

Other than Aiyuk, I think I might prefer Tee Higgins, even though I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder which is what the Bengals want, cause not only did he play with Trevor in college, but he's that big bodied, 50/50 receiver we've been lacking the past few years, someone for Trevor to just throw it up to. He'd be a great complement to Kirk and Davis, and while Aiyuk is better, I still think you need to diversify your WR skills, and that was a problem for us last year, that Ridley and Kirk were too similar of players.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 215

Post#225 » by WentzerWuver » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t see Barton falling to pick 50. He’s too versatile and too many teams picking before 50 would love to have Barton.

Agreed but I was referring to Frazier if you had bother to check out my attached link.

My bad, Frazier might be there at 50 although if JPJ and Barton are off the board by pick 24 I would not be surprised if the Cowboys reach and draft Frazier there. They did the same thing with Travis Fredrick in 2013.
I would normally be upset if Dallas take any of our most wanted listed players from a draft but not anymore since they basically let us have DeVonte who I was certain the NYG would have taken. Hope you are satisfied with Golston from our draft slot in order to move up 2 spots which was well worth it for us.

If they take Frazier, I would take Haynes with our 50 spot and convert him since center plays like guard anyways after hiking the ball and directing the line on defensive shifts. Still I really want Zach cause he's such a SMART center unlike most meatheads.

https://youtu.be/-5lvUqcv6OY?si=X3HMSD-x73DtJ94S

https://youtu.be/Kabzoe2ooxg?si=YnwI-MGfzfZqGgJP
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 215

Post#226 » by WentzerWuver » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

DOT wrote:Word on the street is, Jags are potentially about to make a move for a WR

Due to the Josh Allen extension, we've freed up a lot of cap this year, so we can trade for and extend one of the WRs on the block

Rumored deal was the 9ers wanted Zay Jones and our 1st for Aiyuk and we said no, but now that we have the space to extend him, I think that's back on the table but hopefully we're doing the smart thing and seeing how the draft shakes out, cause if we can get one of the top WRs (like say if Odunze falls to a range we can trade up to get would be my ideal scenario), that's probably better for our cap situation

Other than Aiyuk, I think I might prefer Tee Higgins, even though I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder which is what the Bengals want, cause not only did he play with Trevor in college, but he's that big bodied, 50/50 receiver we've been lacking the past few years, someone for Trevor to just throw it up to. He'd be a great complement to Kirk and Davis, and while Aiyuk is better, I still think you need to diversify your WR skills, and that was a problem for us last year, that Ridley and Kirk were too similar of players.

Aiyuk is worth at least 2 first which includes one in the top 15 so it's a bargain unless you think Zay is worth a 1st. He's worth a 3rd round pick perhaps cause I care about consistency, not flash. He's already been with 2 other teams which has nothing to do with money so he'll fit right in with the Chiefs Lol

https://youtu.be/8PN3UOmLkes?si=8jU9aK3YsdVdrjVj
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by DOT » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 pm

I think I'm more and more liking the idea of Cooper DeJean at 17 if he's there

Like, he's exactly what I want out of a slot corner, I just love the physicality he brings to the run game as a DB

I wouldn't be mad with Terrion Arnold or Nate Wiggins because they have more potential at outside CB (and Quinyon Mitchell obviously but I'm positive he's gone before 17), but I think slot CB has just always been a bigger need for us, and I'm just a big fan of CBs who are positives in terms of tackling

I did a mock on pff, with DeJean at 17, Keon Coleman in the 2nd, and Sedrick Van Pran in the 3rd. Slot CB, contested catch WR (two things the Jags have been missing for years, the latter being especially noticeable for Trevor), and then an iOL who won't need to play right away but can develop for a year or two. I wouldn't say that'd be perfect, but that'd be a pretty good first 2 days.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,052

Post#228 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:32 pm

This is an interesting read. 10 players to avoid in this draft. There’s a few names some of you guys really like on this list.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#229 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Mr B wrote:This is an interesting read. 10 players to avoid in this draft. There’s a few names some of you guys really like on this list.

Read on Twitter

His reason for Caleb is because he thinks he's too much of a diva. Which I don't buy.

Cooper DeJean is a Safety/Nickle. You're not drafting him to be an outside CB. Teams know this. But some of the evaluations are fair.

Keon Coleman is likely a slot WR at the next level. His stock has plummeted since the combine.

I've also argued that Alt has some things that are being overlooked & isn't necessarily a slam dunk All Pro LT.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,572

Post#230 » by hermes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 pm

i think most of the great iowa cornerbacks end up being safeties in the nfl. a lot of that has to do with iowa playing so much zone, the corners don't have much experience with man coverage. maybe they'd be ok at it but might as well put them in positions to succeed :dontknow:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by DOT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm

Mr B wrote:This is an interesting read. 10 players to avoid in this draft. There’s a few names some of you guys really like on this list.

Read on Twitter

This guy just sounds bitter :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#232 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

DOT wrote:This guy just sounds bitter :lol:

He really does. :lol:

That was my takeaway.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by DOT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
DOT wrote:This guy just sounds bitter :lol:

He really does. :lol:

That was my takeaway.

Yeah, like I'm not opposed to people having different takes, two people can watch the same film and see two totally different things, but his analysis seems kinda lazy

It's the same issue I have with Chris Simms, is instead of going in with an open mind, he's going in with the intent to be "different" and intentionally makes controversial takes. I don't get the sense of genuineness from him that this is something that came about, it seems like he's making a list out of spite

I'm not the biggest Terrion Arnold guy, but if your biggest issue with him is "slight" hip tightness and raw technique (he just turned 21 a couple weeks ago and only played 2 seasons so of course he's somewhat raw), that just comes off as petty

I don't even disagree with some of his takes, but he says them like a dick, so I just want to disagree with him.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Post#234 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

Now that the Patriots have their #3 pick up for sale, I wonder if the Vikings have them on speed dial.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by DOT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:08 pm

Did a mock draft for fun, threw a couple curveballs in for spice (no trades cause pff won't let you make trades unless you pay them):

Spoiler:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#236 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:20 pm

Draft week !!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for things to pick up in here. Who's trading up, who's trading down? Do the Bears do what we all expect? Will Washington continue to screw things up or do they finally do things right under different ownership and leadership? What will the Patriots do at #3? Will the Vikings and Raiders get aggressive and move up to get a QB? Will the Egals claim to have another dream team after the draft once again? Does Jerry still have Johnny Manziel on speed dial? Thursday can't come fast enough.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#237 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:24 pm

DOT wrote:Did a mock draft for fun, threw a couple curveballs in for spice (no trades cause pff won't let you make trades unless you pay them):

Spoiler:

Just out of curiosity, what was your thinking with Penix Jr. going to the Cowboys?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by DOT » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
DOT wrote:Did a mock draft for fun, threw a couple curveballs in for spice (no trades cause pff won't let you make trades unless you pay them):

Spoiler:

Just out of curiosity, what was your thinking with Penix Jr. going to the Cowboys?

None, I just wanted to spice things up a bit, same thing with the Raiders taking Worthy at 13 and Maye falling to 12th and being the 4th QB taken.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#239 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm

DOT wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Spoiler:

None, I just wanted to spice things up a bit, same thing with the Raiders taking Worthy at 13 and Maye falling to 12th and being the 4th QB taken.

I don't know how the Cowboys can resist not taking Graham Barton if he is there. But that is just me. Cowboys in serious need of OL. Wouldn't be opposed to Penix Jr., that would make Dak's skin crawl and I'm sure you know how I feel about Dak. Getting Dak and McCarthy out of here are my first priorities.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#240 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm

Mr B wrote:What do you guys think about Zach Frazier? I’ve been on record as saying I would love for the Cowboys to get Jackson Powers-Johnson however Zach Frazier is just as good as JPJ in some areas. 24 might be too high to draft him but I’m not sure he makes it to pick 56.

https://youtu.be/fcRLaOUn0Qo?si=uKPMZt4OjfHOnv_R

If Washington offered their 34 and 40th pick for our 24th pick, would you do it?

Return to The General NFL Board