bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#1001 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 am

wco81 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:When Jerry talks, you listen. :wink:

Did you really buy everything Jerry and Stephen said in that press conference? I did find it awfully interesting Jerry kept using the word "timing on things" when it came to explaining contracts, the cap, etc,. I still think they are up to something however. And I haven't figured it all out yet, but Stephen Jones is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus he keeps looking down when trying to answer some of the questions which means he just being a bulls..t artist. Parts of it seemed like damage control to Cowboy nation with some snake oil being sprinkled on the outside. When Jerry talks he usually gives me the runs.

He must be a Nepo baby.

But once Jerry is gone, he will be the main owner? Or will he have to answer to siblings and other family members too?

Outside of Stephen, I don't know a damn thing about any of the other kids. Mr. B might. If Stephen is the one that eventually takes over I'm not so sure things will be any better. IMHO the Cowboys need new ownership and a new culture. This current climate that has been going on the past 3 decades mirrors nothing of the real Cowboy culture I grew up as a kid. It feels like being a Browns or Jets fan under Jerry's watch.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,482

Post#1002 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
wco81 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Did you really buy everything Jerry and Stephen said in that press conference? I did find it awfully interesting Jerry kept using the word "timing on things" when it came to explaining contracts, the cap, etc,. I still think they are up to something however. And I haven't figured it all out yet, but Stephen Jones is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus he keeps looking down when trying to answer some of the questions which means he just being a bulls..t artist. Parts of it seemed like damage control to Cowboy nation with some snake oil being sprinkled on the outside. When Jerry talks he usually gives me the runs.

He must be a Nepo baby.

But once Jerry is gone, he will be the main owner? Or will he have to answer to siblings and other family members too?

Outside of Stephen, I don't know a damn thing about any of the other kids. Mr. B might. If Stephen is the one that eventually takes over I'm not so sure things will be any better. IMHO the Cowboys need new ownership and a new culture. This current climate that has been going on the past 3 decades mirrors nothing of the real Cowboy culture I grew up as a kid. It feels like being a Browns or Jets fan.

Jerry's daughter runs the marketing side of the club iirc. But it would seem that Stephen will eventually take over. Unless the family decides to sell it.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,066

Post#1003 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I mean, we could go 0-17.

There are actually worse things than losing in the playoffs.

Both ways are losing. I’d actually prefer going 0-17 instead winning the division and going 1 and done in the playoffs. At least I’d be excited about having the #1 pick.

No way.

Fans stop watching games mid season with that.

And under that guise every team has a "losing" season except one

We’ve already discussed this.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1004 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 am

wco81 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:When Jerry talks, you listen. :wink:

Did you really buy everything Jerry and Stephen said in that press conference? I did find it awfully interesting Jerry kept using the word "timing on things" when it came to explaining contracts, the cap, etc,. I still think they are up to something however. And I haven't figured it all out yet, but Stephen Jones is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Plus he keeps looking down when trying to answer some of the questions which means he just being a bulls..t artist. Parts of it seemed like damage control to Cowboy nation with some snake oil being sprinkled on the outside. When Jerry talks he usually gives me the runs.

He must be a Nepo baby.

That’s actually a very good question. I expect Stephen will continue to run the team since Gene (Jerry's wife) will be the owner.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1005 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
wco81 wrote:

He must be a Nepo baby.

Outside of Stephen, I don't know a damn thing about any of the other kids. Mr. B might. If Stephen is the one that eventually takes over I'm not so sure things will be any better. IMHO the Cowboys need new ownership and a new culture. This current climate that has been going on the past 3 decades mirrors nothing of the real Cowboy culture I grew up as a kid. It feels like being a Browns or Jets fan.

Jerry's daughter runs the marketing side of the club iirc. But it would seem that Stephen will eventually take over. Unless the family decides to sell it.

Jerry wants the Jones family to always own the Cowboys. Similar to the Mara’s and Rooney’s. After Stephen passes I’m sure one of Jerry’s grandsons will take over.

Not sure how his family feels about owning the Cowboys that long though.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,160

Post#1006 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Both ways are losing. I’d actually prefer going 0-17 instead winning the division and going 1 and done in the playoffs. At least I’d be excited about having the #1 pick.

No way.

Yeah and it's absurd.

The Panthers had the #1 overall pick. Are they close to a ring now?

Turns out that being the worst team in the NFL is actually BAD
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 328

Post#1007 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:35 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:No way.

Yeah and it's absurd.

They could have listened to the head coach, drafted Stroud and their outlook would be a lot different.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1008 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:39 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:We’ve already discussed this.

Yeah and it's absurd.

They could have listened to the head coach, drafted Stroud and their outlook would be a lot different.

Hindsight 20/20 and Stroud would have been the pick but I do not believe that Stroud could save that roster or even get them in the playoffs.

I don't think any QB can save the Bears either and any drafted QB is a crap shoot, a gamble. Having the #1 pick guarantees NOTHING.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1009 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm

Panthers might have the #1 pick in 2025 too and should not be envied for that. They are not in a fun place to be.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1010 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Yeah and it's absurd.

Hindsight 20/20 and Stroud would have been the pick but I do not believe that Stroud could save that roster or even get them in the playoffs.

I don't think any QB can save the Bears either and any drafted QB is a crap shoot, a gamble. Having the #1 pick guarantees NOTHING.

Perhaps not. If you remember 2 years ago everyone was laughing and making fun of Houston as much as Carolina in the bad team's category.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1011 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:26 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:They could have listened to the head coach, drafted Stroud and their outlook would be a lot different.

Perhaps not. If you remember 2 years ago everyone was laughing and making fun of Houston as much as Carolina in the bad team's category.

Look I'd trade Dak for Stroud right now, the problem is I think there is less than 10% chance of hitting that no matter where you pick from. As seen by the fact that Dallas currently has the #3 overall pick from 2021 on their roster right now!

Tanking for a massive gamble isn't worth it in the NFL.

If this was the NBA and LeBron was sitting there? Then sure, but the NFL isn't like that, hence no need for a lottery draft system like the NBA has.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1012 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Hindsight 20/20 and Stroud would have been the pick but I do not believe that Stroud could save that roster or even get them in the playoffs.

Look I'd trade Dak for Stroud right now, the problem is I think there is less than 10% chance of hitting that no matter where you pick from. As seen by the fact that Dallas currently has the #3 overall pick from 2021 on their roster right now!

If this was the NBA and LeBron was sitting there? Then sure, but the NFL isn't like that, hence no need for a lottery draft system like the NBA has.

I'd just trade Dak at this point to anyone willing to take a chance on him just to get him out of here and get something for him as far as draft picks. But in a sense I'm like you regarding this year's draft. There are only 2 of them I would even consider. But at this point we can't afford to pay Dak a third of our salary cap every year and build a quality team around him. Especially if keeping and paying lamb and Parsons is a priority. Feels and seems like Dak is the odd man out moving forward and the best way to proceed. Its not a gamble, its what needs to be done at this point.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1013 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Perhaps not. If you remember 2 years ago everyone was laughing and making fun of Houston as much as Carolina in the bad team's category.

I'd just trade Dak at this point to anyone willing to take a chance on him just to get him out of here and get something for him as far as draft picks. But in a sense I'm like you regarding this year's draft. There are only 2 of them I would even consider. But at this point we can't afford to pay Dak a third of our salary cap every year and build a quality team around him. Especially if keeping and paying lamb and Parsons is a priority. Feels and seems like Dak is the odd man out moving forward and the best way to proceed. Its not a gamble, its what needs to be done at this point.

I don't think QB salary is something to be avoided.

Houston is going to have to pay Stroud big $$$$$. Unless he falls off a cliff which is possible I suppose.

Can't keep rotating QBs to avoid paying big QB money. That isn't a good tactic.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1014 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Look I'd trade Dak for Stroud right now, the problem is I think there is less than 10% chance of hitting that no matter where you pick from. As seen by the fact that Dallas currently has the #3 overall pick from 2021 on their roster right now!

Houston is going to have to pay Stroud big $$$$$. Unless he falls off a cliff which is possible I suppose.

So what is your plan for the Cowboys moving forward if they keep Dak like you want while paying him 60+ mill a year?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1015 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:No way.

Yeah and it's absurd.

I’m not a fan of being a treadmill team where you’re always in the middle of the pack. Not good enough to actually be a threat and not bad enough to tank and rebuild.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1016 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Yeah and it's absurd.

I’m not a fan of being a treadmill team where you’re always in the middle of the pack. Not good enough to actually be a threat and not bad enough to tank and rebuild.

The Jason Garrett era. :banghead:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1017 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:

Yeah and it's absurd.

Micah doesn’t want the Cowboys to be bad enough to do that. He prefers the 1 and done teams because at least they make the playoffs. Perpetually middle of the pack and only ever in position to draft the Mazi Smith types instead of being in position to draft an elite prospect QB.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1018 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Yeah and it's absurd.

The Jason Garrett era, the Mike McCarthy era, the Wade Phillips era, the Bill Parcels era, the Chan Gailey era… they’ve all been the same.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#1019 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I’m not a fan of being a treadmill team where you’re always in the middle of the pack. Not good enough to actually be a threat and not bad enough to tank and rebuild.

The Jason Garrett era, the Mike McCarthy era, the Wade Phillips era, the Bill Parcels era, the Chan Gailey era… they’ve all been the same.

Not a very good list of coaches to brag about are on that list. Damn. No wonder we are so jaded as Cowboy fans now.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1020 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:41 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'd just trade Dak at this point to anyone willing to take a chance on him just to get him out of here and get something for him as far as draft picks. But in a sense I'm like you regarding this year's draft. There are only 2 of them I would even consider. But at this point we can't afford to pay Dak a third of our salary cap every year and build a quality team around him. Especially if keeping and paying lamb and Parsons is a priority. Feels and seems like Dak is the odd man out moving forward and the best way to proceed. Its not a gamble, its what needs to be done at this point.

So what is your plan for the Cowboys moving forward if they keep Dak like you want while paying him 60+ mill a year?

My plan was to go "all in" like Jerry insinuated. They aren't doing that though so...let Dak playout his current contract and roll the dice on another QB I guess

Return to The General NFL Board