Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Re: Free Agency 

Post#121 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:22 pm

hermes wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Haha told ya. And all I see is painful upgrades that needed to happen. Im going to miss my boys, but they arent what they used to be. Kendricks made his name being able to defend the pass, he has lost a step and cant do that consistently anymore. Thielen has definitely lost a step or two and just cant create separation anymore. And the gap between Cook and Mattison has been shrinking over the years.

I will say this, I love what the new front office has been doing when it comes to trades and dealing with the finances of it all. That evens out for the complete failure I think they have been when it comes to the draft in their first 2 years.

Taking the North again this year! So confident in that, I even already bought my NFL Ticket for the year. Aint missing a snap.

Cook is still damn good when healthy. I'm actually surprised that they're planning on moving on from him & giving Mattison the bulk of the carries. Did they draft a RB?

I get the optimism. But they we're also really fortunate in a lot of close games last year with a negative run differential. Which is why everyone is pretty much predicting a bit of a regression for them this year. Not having a player the caliber of Cook certainly doesn't help things.

Rumor is he's headed to Miami.

this past year was the only year cook played a full season. i suppose the odds aren't great he has another full uninjured year

its tough parting with longtime vikings, but i suppose you've got to do this kind of stuff. i didn't really want to pay a running back the big bucks again after peterson, seems to stifle roster flexibility too much

the vikings will probably trend back to the mean on one-score game success but the joke will be on the league because we'll probably blow out most teams if the defense is even halfway decent

Cook is 27 with 6 years of mileage on him. He still could have a couple good years left in him, but I guess conventional thinking is that you don't want overpay a running back. There are also a couple of potentially useful free agents still out there that the Vikings could use this money on.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#122 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:26 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Haha told ya. And all I see is painful upgrades that needed to happen. Im going to miss my boys, but they arent what they used to be. Kendricks made his name being able to defend the pass, he has lost a step and cant do that consistently anymore. Thielen has definitely lost a step or two and just cant create separation anymore. And the gap between Cook and Mattison has been shrinking over the years.

I will say this, I love what the new front office has been doing when it comes to trades and dealing with the finances of it all. That evens out for the complete failure I think they have been when it comes to the draft in their first 2 years.

Taking the North again this year! So confident in that, I even already bought my NFL Ticket for the year. Aint missing a snap.

Cook is still damn good when healthy. I'm actually surprised that they're planning on moving on from him & giving Mattison the bulk of the carries. Did they draft a RB?

I get the optimism. But they we're also really fortunate in a lot of close games last year with a negative run differential. Which is why everyone is pretty much predicting a bit of a regression for them this year. Not having a player the caliber of Cook certainly doesn't help things.

Didn't the Vikings draft that McBride kid?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#123 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:07 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I'd be surprised if he becomes anything more than a part time player, a backup.

Mattison is a good #2 RB. But Cook made that offense hum. The guy is different.

This is where the whole concept that RB's aren't valuable & they're all interchangeable, gets kind of ridiculous imo.

If you have a guy like Dalvin, then you hang onto him. Unless he's just damaged goods.

Truthfully, if I was a Minnesota fan & they did this just to save money against the cap, I'd be pissed.

The Vikings are worse off today, then they we're prior to his release.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#124 » by hermes » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:18 pm

vikings paid adrian the big bucks and i thought it was worth it because he was one of the best, even though it ended up tying our hands cap wise near the end of his career. dalvin is really, really good but he's not as good as adrian was. and one of his biggest question marks has been his health, now maybe he's figured something out or continues to have good fortune and stays healthy (i hope he does) but even if he does he's also not going to get any younger from here

mattison is solid but he's only even seemed like a backup to me, so i suppose we're going by committee now. in addition to mcbride we've got someone named ty chandler and nwangwu (who is a dynamite kick returner). we'll probably be a step or two down running game wise next year. i suppose the other calculation is that we're going to be throwing the ball a ton with our receiving core. at some point they also need to start making room for jefferson's extension. this was going to be a matter of time.

if we cut dalvin loose too soon, oh well :dontknow: its a business and sometimes you make bad business decisions.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Post#125 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Cook is still damn good when healthy. I'm actually surprised that they're planning on moving on from him & giving Mattison the bulk of the carries. Did they draft a RB?

I'd be surprised if he becomes anything more than a part time player, a backup.

This is where the whole concept that RB's aren't valuable & they're all interchangeable, gets kind of ridiculous imo.

If you have a guy like Dalvin, then you hang onto him. Unless he's just damaged goods.

Truthfully, if I was a Minnesota fan & they did this just to save money against the cap, I'd be pissed.

RB's aren't interchangeable, but they do age quickly. Maybe this release is too soon, or maybe it's right on time. We'll see. It's not like Dalvin was the best back in the league either. He's a good back.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Post#126 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:55 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I'd be surprised if he becomes anything more than a part time player, a backup.

RB's aren't interchangeable, but they do age quickly. Maybe this release is too soon, or maybe it's right on time. We'll see. It's not like Dalvin was the best back in the league either. He's a good back.

I'd agree. At worst you are 1 year too soon. It's unfortunate with RBs, often times you don't see the cliff and you come in the next year as a completely different player.

Are the Vikings downgrading here, maybe? Depends what Dalvin looks like next year. But it may not be all that significant. When Mattison gets 20 carries he performs. And in terms of RBs he has a million less miles on him. You can probably sign Kareem Hunt to a 1-2 year deal and have a nice two headed backfield.

We all know the Cowboys waited a year too long handing the backfield to Pollard, Vikings ahead rather than behind.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#127 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:39 pm

hermes wrote:jack! you've got to tell me this kind of stuff!

this off-season has been devastating for my puns. thielen and cook!

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
hermes
RealGM

Post#128 » by hermes » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:06 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
hermes wrote:jack! you've got to tell me this kind of stuff!

this off-season has been devastating for my puns. thielen and cook!

an hour!?!? is it all about the vikings?
hermes
RealGM

Post#129 » by hermes » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:09 pm

ok, i watched the whole thing. it was good and was helpful since i didn't pay too much attention to all the moves this off-season
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,713

Post#130 » by DOT » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Read on Twitter

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Warfelg
Sophomore
And1: 126

Post#131 » by Warfelg » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:32 am

Saquan Barkley and the giants agreed to a 1 year $11mil deal. Small bump over the tag amount. Interesting to see what it means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,149

Post#132 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:27 pm

Warfelg wrote:Saquan Barkley and the giants agreed to a 1 year $11mil deal. Small bump over the tag amount. Interesting to see what it means.

Just means they will go through this again next year. If they don’t trade Barkley at the deadline.
Mamba42
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#133 » by Mamba42 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:48 pm

Warfelg wrote:Saquan Barkley and the giants agreed to a 1 year $11mil deal. Small bump over the tag amount. Interesting to see what it means.

Just a tiny bit above the tag amount, why not just play on the franchise tag instead of making a big deal out of it?
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#134 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:32 pm

Mamba42 wrote:Just a tiny bit above the tag amount, why not just play on the franchise tag instead of making a big deal out of it?

It is the franchise tag... but with $900k in incentives extra and $2 million of the total amount up front.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 108

Post#135 » by Mariner » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:36 pm

An attempt to save face I guess. Nothing really resolved but I guess it’s better than nothing.
Nunuu
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#136 » by Nunuu » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:28 pm

He wasnt a FA, but Herbert just got paid...

The Los Angeles Chargers and quarterback Justin Herbert have agreed to terms on a five-year, $262.5 million contract extension
Mamba42
Pro Prospect

Post#137 » by Mamba42 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:43 am

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:Just a tiny bit above the tag amount, why not just play on the franchise tag instead of making a big deal out of it?

It is the franchise tag... but with $900k in incentives extra and $2 million of the total amount up front.

That makes sense then. Does he have language for the next tag in his deal? Cause if not just signing the tag would make it unlikely for him to get it again next year Id think
Mamba42
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by Mamba42 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:43 am

Nunuu wrote:He wasnt a FA, but Herbert just got paid...

The Los Angeles Chargers and quarterback Justin Herbert have agreed to terms on a five-year, $262.5 million contract extension
Good for the Chargers to get it done. I think Herbert will really blossom with Moore as his OC this year
Nunuu
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#139 » by Nunuu » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:55 pm

Mamba42 wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

That makes sense then. Does he have language for the next tag in his deal? Cause if not just signing the tag would make it unlikely for him to get it again next year Id think

That would be terrible work by his agent if he nullified this years franchise tag and he will get the regular tag again next year.
Mamba42
Pro Prospect

Post#140 » by Mamba42 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:01 pm

Nunuu wrote:
Mamba42 wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:It is the franchise tag... but with $900k in incentives extra and $2 million of the total amount up front.

That would be terrible work by his agent if he nullified this years franchise tag and he will get the regular tag again next year.

According to ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38067192/sources-saquon-barkley-giants-agree-1-year-11m-deal), he signed an "adjusted franchise tag" so I guess the same rules would apply to them tagging him next year in terms of cost escalation?

The story also says the deal does not have a provision preventing the Giants from using the tag again next year.

All in all this seems like a win for the Giants and an L for Barkley since he really didn't gain much from all of it.

Return to The General NFL Board