Dak Prescott thread

Moderator: bwgood77

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#41 » by El Turco » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:09 pm

If they draft a young guy who is even serviceable they can pay most their impact guys and even get an impact running back, and viola you are not that far from Niners.

Maybe you can even develop the guy into a franchise quarterback who knows, better than going with what you know isnt working for another 8 years.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#42 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:20 pm

El Turco wrote:If they draft a young guy who is even serviceable they can pay most their impact guys and even get an impact running back, and viola you are not that far from Niners.

Maybe you can even develop the guy into a franchise quarterback who knows, better than going with what you know isnt working for another 8 years.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :cuddle :kiss :kiss :cuddle :onfire: Please e-mail this line to Micah's address. He hasn't gotten my memo's the past 3 years. :banghead: :banghead:
Mamba42
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#43 » by Mamba42 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:53 pm

wco81 wrote:If the Cowboys let Dak walk, they’d be in rebuild mode?

Because they don’t have a great running game so essentially they’d have a big question mark at QB unless a rookie plays great right away.

So would they extend Lamb or Parsons if they’re no longer a contender?

But the key question is, will Jerry accept going into rebuild? At his age?

Dak may not be good enough to win a Superbowl but they have no replacement in sight so are they ready to blow it up? It would be surprising if Jerry is ever going to accept that.
Dak is good enough to win a SB, he's just not good enough to carry a team there himself. He needs a very strong team around him. There have been plenty of QBs worse than Dak that have won a SB.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#44 » by El Turco » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:57 pm

Mamba42 wrote:

Because they don’t have a great running game so essentially they’d have a big question mark at QB unless a rookie plays great right away.

Dak may not be good enough to win a Superbowl but they have no replacement in sight so are they ready to blow it up? It would be surprising if Jerry is ever going to accept that.
Dak is good enough to win a SB, he's just not good enough to carry a team there himself. He needs a very strong team around him. There have been plenty of QBs worse than Dak that have won a SB.

Did they take as much cap space as Dak? Building a strong team aint free
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#45 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:09 pm

Mamba42 wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :kissmybutt: :kissmybutt: :kissmybutt: Name one?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#46 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:42 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:You can realistically move him this offseason (trade) & split the dead money over two years. Which is manageable.

Patriots, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Seahawks, Colts, Saints, Steelers all need QB's. Hopefully one or more of them will bite and take the scum bag off our hands.

I could see teams like the Vikings & Raiders having interest. Maybe the Steelers?

The Giants are already stuck with Daniel Jones & his contract, so they're out. Same with Wilson & Denver. The Colts are committed to Richardson. The Bears will have the #1 pick.

Yea I could see the Vikings, Raiders, Saints, or Steelers being interested. Maybe even the Titans. I wouldn’t expect much of a return for Dak though because of the contract he’s going to demand. At mid-late 1st and a 2nd maybe?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:47 pm

They wouldn’t have to be in a full rebuild mode. They would obviously need to acquire a young QB. That doesn’t necessarily have to be done at the top of the 1st round though. The NFL is full of examples proving that if you have a good-great OL, offensive weapons, and a running game a young QB (drafted lower) can be successful.

Resign Lamb and Parsons. Go heavy on the OL at the top of the draft, and draft a good RB. Even if they have to start Cooper Rush early in the season until the young QB is ready to take over they are likely still at least a 10 win team. That’s gets them to the Wild Card round (while trending up). They would basically be where they are now except they won’t have to be paying their average QB $60M plus per season.
last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#48 » by last stand » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:49 pm

Mr B wrote:

They wouldn’t have to be in a full rebuild mode. They would obviously need to acquire a young QB. That doesn’t necessarily have to be done at the top of the 1st round though. The NFL is full of examples proving that if you have a good-great OL, offensive weapons, and a running game a young QB (drafted lower) can be successful.

Resign Lamb and Parsons. Go heavy on the OL at the top of the draft, and draft a good RB. Even if they have to start Cooper Rush early in the season until the young QB is ready to take over they are likely still at least a 10 win team. That’s gets them to the Wild Card round (while trending up). They would basically be where they are now except they won’t have to be paying their average QB $60M plus per season.

I don’t believe they’re a 10 win team without dak

However if they hit on a QB they’d be scarier for me as an eagles fan because there’d be a possibility he’s the guy
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:47 pm

last stand wrote:
Mr B wrote:

However if they hit on a QB they’d be scarier for me as an eagles fan because there’d be a possibility he’s the guy

Yea even if they have to take 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward I’d be good with that. The cap hit they take might actually wreck their season anyways.

With a young QB you at least have a chance for him to be great. We already know Dak isn’t great.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#50 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:13 pm

Dak himself was a 4th rounder?

Took him a few seasons to get to where he is, which is at least a top 10 QB, Pro Bowler.

OTOH, as discussed in the other thread, Trevor Lawrence is the #1 pick of the draft a few years ago, was suppose to be a generational prospect. He's about to get an extension next year and the Jags seem to be a lower-level playoffs team. Nobody expects them to get to the SB or even the AFC Championship game.

Russell Wilson started as a rookie, made a lot of plays during his time in Seattle. But that team had a great defense and running game.

Mahomes was an MVP in his second year. KC was already a playoffs team before he took over though. Had Hill, Kelce and other playmakers as well as a good enough defense.

Herbert became a starter as a rookie but the Chargers haven't gone anywhere. But he got a huge contract and he's expected to be there for a long time.

Burrow was a starter as a rookie but he was a very high pick and the Bengals had great WRs already.

Tua took a couple of seasons and once they got Hill, team took off offensively.

Lamar was an MVP in his second or third season?

Josh Allen took over in his second season, made a huge improvement in pass accuracy since college. In fact the kind of improvement he made is considered unprecedented.

Stroud has put up big numbers but he hasn't won anything yet or is close to it. Texans are on a good path but we will see if Stroud takes the next step up in the next 1-2 seasons where they win 12 games and is a solid playoffs contender.

Hurd also started fairly early. Again, he also benefitted from a stacked roster. He got his team to the SB last year, played very well. He's still putting up big numbers but it remains to be seen if he's hit his ceiling already.

Cards drafted Kyler #1, gave him a huge contract. They may need to draft another QB.

49ers lucked into Purdy, last player of the draft. But he hasn't won any big games yet, did win 2 playoffs starts last season.

Goff, former #1, made it to the SB, then was laughed off by a lot of fans, now having a good season for the resurgent Lions.

Fields, already some are talking about him as a backup when he's eligible for a big extension, which he may or may not get.

It's a crapshoot though, there are a fair number of top 3 picks who became busts and then lower first round picks who are works in progress.

So again, the Cowboys could roll the dice but does the guy who's making the decisions want to gamble or keep his roster together, which is at least a second-tier NFC contender?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
last stand wrote:
Mr B wrote:They wouldn’t have to be in a full rebuild mode. They would obviously need to acquire a young QB. That doesn’t necessarily have to be done at the top of the 1st round though. The NFL is full of examples proving that if you have a good-great OL, offensive weapons, and a running game a young QB (drafted lower) can be successful.

Yea even if they have to take 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward I’d be good with that. The cap hit they take might actually wreck their season anyways.

With a young QB you at least have a chance for him to be great. We already know Dak isn’t great.

Agree 110%. Another reason I want like hell to get rid of dumb Dak's contract, is the same thing I have been harping on the past 9 years as you very much know. Every year, whether its Sean lee and now LVE, we always seem to be short shoring up the LB position, especially when we don't have a top notch DT. How many years in a row now has this issue reared it ugly head after Thanksgiving? I totally agree with with your thought of drafting another RB and loading up on the O-line, but the defense also has some really nice pieces. We could use some more resources for that side of the ball that Prescott's contract would hold up.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:17 pm

last stand wrote:
Mr B wrote:

You really think me and Mr. b will fall for that crap. Please. I know why you really framed you answer that way. Nice try. :rolleyes:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:39 pm

Can't imagine why Micah doesn't participate in this thread. After all, we are talking about his boy. Love to hear his thoughts on this one. What a loyal hard core Cowboy fan he is. The past 2 years he has been screaming, kicking, resorting to name calling and telling me that I'm not a real Cowboy fan despite 53 of service because I didn't believe Dak was the guy, had no faith in him and we would never win a super bowl with him. So here we are 3 years later and once again I have proven to him that I was right all along. And here we again talking about Dak's contract and trying to figure out a way to get better and move on from this disaster that was pre-told.
Turns out Micah deep down is not a real Cowboy fan. Been blowing smoke out of his ass for 3 years. Appears to me Micah isn't interested in being a Cowboy fan at all unless his boy is the QB of the Cowboys. So who are the real Cowboy fans in this forum, Micah? His Dak Prescott rants have run its course. Not sure he has anything left to bring to the table anymore outside of trolling and attacking those that have disagreed with him about Dumb Dak.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 108

Post#54 » by Mariner » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:16 pm

Like to think I have a balanced view of Dak
First thing. I would not want to extend him after this season when the cowboys lose again early in the playoffs. I would sacrifice the high cap hit at all cost.

Secondly I don’t think Dak is as bad as people think.
He just needs more help. He’s really good but not great.
His contract has aged really well. The cowboys can win with him but everything has to be perfect which I’m tired of waiting for.
There’s too much hate and love for Dak.
I would rather start over with a rookie.
All of this is silly though cause the cowboys will surely extend Dak. They will not absorb the high cap hit and Dak has a no trade clause in his contract.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#55 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:35 pm

My thoughts BJJ? Obviously Dak's contract has not been an issue given that we've been in a very good cap situation during. Even now we are top-10 in space.

And if you want to play revisionist history, we do know the outcome of Dak here, but we also know the outcome of QBs we could have gone with instead. We were never in position for Mahomes or Burrow or Allen or anyone drafted high. So please tell me the alternative to Dak that we could have taken to get a ring?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:06 am

Micah Prescott wrote:My thoughts BJJ? Obviously Dak's contract has not been an issue given that we've been in a very good cap situation during. Even now we are top-10 in space.

And if you want to play revisionist history, we do know the outcome of Dak here, but we also know the outcome of QBs we could have gone with instead. We were never in position for Mahomes or Burrow or Allen or anyone drafted high. So please tell me the alternative to Dak that we could have taken to get a ring?

That is Will McClay’s job to find the next QB. He’s been pretty good at finding talent. I trust that he can find the Cowboys a good young prospect or two and as long as they resign Lamb, Parsons and the bulk of the draft on OL, DL, and a stud RB they should be good. And won’t have to be paying Dak $60M per season to lose early in the playoffs.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#57 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:09 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:My thoughts BJJ? Obviously Dak's contract has not been an issue given that we've been in a very good cap situation during. Even now we are top-10 in space.

That is Will McClay’s job to find the next QB. He’s been pretty good at finding talent. I trust that he can find the Cowboys a good young prospect or two and as long as they resign Lamb, Parsons and the bulk of the draft on OL, DL, and a stud RB they should be good. And won’t have to be paying Dak $60M per season to lose early in the playoffs.

I'm talking about the contract in the thread title. BJJ wanted my input on this thread. He wants to play revisionist history and pretend we let Dak walk in 2021. Who could we have gone with instead that would have been better?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#58 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:13 am

Here are all the QBs we could have drafted in 2021 instead of giving Dak his contract and taking Parsons -

Mac Jones
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond
Davis Mills
Ian Book
Sam Ehlinger

:lol:

THIS is what you are eager to jump into

We saw this team without Dak the year he was injured...we SUCKED...he isn't the problem, the TEAM is
Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:33 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Here are all the QBs we could have drafted in 2021 instead of giving Dak his contract and taking Parsons -

Mac Jones
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond
Davis Mills
Ian Book
Sam Ehlinger

We saw this team without Dak the year he was injured...we SUCKED...he isn't the problem, the TEAM is

Surely you’re smart enough to understand that situation matter. Circumstances matter. How would Mac Jones look right now if he were playing in San Fran? Would Purdy look as good if he were starting for the Cardinals?

As a team all you can do is load the roster with as much talent as possible and do your best to set up a young QB for success. The Cowboys have been pretty good at loading the roster with talent. They need to focus on the OL and RB position (as well as the LB and DL) position which I think they would do.

Also if they are going to move on from MM they would need to find a coach that is also an offensive minded coach and specifically a QB coach. That is who will be grooming the young QB so that is why he needs to be offensive minded.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#60 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:33 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Here are all the QBs we could have drafted in 2021 instead of giving Dak his contract and taking Parsons -

Mac Jones
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond
Davis Mills
Ian Book
Sam Ehlinger

2021 was not a good time to take a QB. That's obvious.

This upcoming draft is much better for QB's. So, if you're going to do it, now would be the time to cut bait.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to The General NFL Board