Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Re: Wilson gets another big bag 

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

I cant believe Im doing it, but here I am about to defend Russ. Russ was never really all that limited because of his height. He was an All Pro, multiple top 5 in OPOY in votes and so on. You cant do it as long as he did if he was super limited throwing from the pocket.

I honestly think life outside of football has just surpassed his life and dedication to his football life. I think more and more of his time is dedicated to being a celebrity than spending all that time studying defenses. So ya Im having a blast laughing at all of this blowing up in his face, but ya the dude was an elite QB for quite sometime and that included being able to throw from the pocket consistently.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#63 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I cant believe Im doing it, but here I am about to defend Russ. Russ was never really all that limited because of his height. He was an All Pro, multiple top 5 in OPOY in votes and so on. You cant do it as long as he did if he was super limited throwing from the pocket.

I honestly think life outside of football has just surpassed his life and dedication to his football life. I think more and more of his time is dedicated to being a celebrity than spending all that time studying defenses. So ya Im having a blast laughing at all of this blowing up in his face, but ya the dude was an elite QB for quite sometime and that included being able to throw from the pocket consistently.

You notice how his play improved yesterday as he started using his legs more, with bootlegs & getting him on the move outside the pocket. They started moving the ball & converting before he got hurt. That's his game.

Is he terrible from the pocket? No. As long as he has open throwing lanes to see down field. He can see better when he takes deeper drops.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#64 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I cant believe Im doing it, but here I am about to defend Russ. Russ was never really all that limited because of his height. He was an All Pro, multiple top 5 in OPOY in votes and so on. You cant do it as long as he did if he was super limited throwing from the pocket.

You notice how his play improved yesterday as he started using his legs more, with bootlegs & getting him on the move outside the pocket. They started moving the ball & converting before he got hurt. That's his game.

Is he terrible from the pocket? No. As long as he has open throwing lanes to see down field. He can see better when he takes deeper drops.

Ya to be clear Im not saying I think he was ever prime Peyton or anything like that haha. Russ at his best is when he uses all aspects of his game. High IQ, good arm, using his legs to extend plays and make a throw on the move, using his legs to extend plays and run for the yardage in front of him and so on. When you put it all together that is when Russ was Russ.

But ya Im just saying is Russ when he was at his peak was damn good throwing from inside the pocket as well. A part of that was teams were worried about him extending and so lots of defensive ends were playing more contain than straight pressure and so on. But ya just dont want the bashing of Russ train that weve been on this year to lose its tracks haha.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#65 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:33 pm

They need to incorporate more zone read & RPO concepts imo. Make it harder for defenses.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#66 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Yeah you don't think of Wilson as some elite passer. I'm talking in terms of elite ball placement like Rodgers. Wilson has obviously made a lot of big gain passes but he's had WRs who are great at 50-50 balls, so that's not ball placement, that's just gambling that your guy is going to win enough of the times to make it worth it.

Criticisms I remember was that he relied too much on playmaking, staying alive long enough to have coverages break down and hit big plays. He's a more mobile version of Rothlisberger, who won two Superbowls doing that.

Wilson has had a couple of seasons of throwing for 4200 yards, his high water mark. His highest TD pass season was 40.

Drew Brees had several seasons of throwing over 5000 yards and a couple of seasons at 4800-4900. He threw over 40 TDs twice, once hit 39 and another season at 37.

Brees obviously threw from the pocket and was more timing oriented so he had to anticipate WRs breaking open, though he had a great TD in Graham who posted big numbers himself for a couple of seasons.

But Brees threw more ints, because he was throwing from the pocket and spraying all over the field. Wilson like I said scrambled well and found guys wide open, so he took less risks.

There were stretches in his career when he was doing well from the pocket, throwing on time. But he didn't sustain that for long.

I guess Lockett was the closest he had to a #1 WR, got like 100 catches once or twice, so that would help Wilson be more of a pocket passer, a guy who's going to get a lot of easy receptions and move the chains.

One interesting stat, Wilson and Brees have almost the same average per yards per pass attempt, 7.8 to 7.6. Brees is 67.7% completion percentage vs. 64.7% for Wilson. But the most telling stats, Wilson sacked 470 times vs. Brees 420 times. But Brees has roughly 2 times as many pass attempts.

Seattle OL was poor in many seasons but also Wilson may hold the ball longer while Brees gets the ball out quick. I'm sure there are advanced stats somewhere that tells how much average time these QBs held the ball between when they threw it or got sacked. You'd expect Wilson to have the longer average times.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#67 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:08 pm

wco81 wrote:Seattle OL was poor in many seasons but also Wilson may hold the ball longer while Brees gets the ball out quick. I'm sure there are advanced stats somewhere that tells how much average time these QBs held the ball between when they threw it or got sacked. You'd expect Wilson to have the longer average times.

The OL was among the worst from 2016-2017. Basically a two year period when it was really bad. But most years it ranked about league average on the whole.

wco81 wrote:But the most telling stats, Wilson sacked 470 times vs. Brees 420 times. But Brees has roughly 2 times as many pass attempts.

Yes, he was responsible for a good chunk of those sacks.

Also with the injuries this year to Denver's line, this is probably his worst group that he's had in the last 5 or 6 years.
wco81
RealGM

Post#68 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:51 pm

Did Elway give Wilson this big extension as well as make the trade?

Because a normal GM who isn't a beloved franchise legend would have been out on his ass by now.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#69 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:46 am

wco81 wrote:Did Elway give Wilson this big extension as well as make the trade?

Because a normal GM who isn't a beloved franchise legend would have been out on his ass by now.

George Paton is the gm. Elway is the team President.
wco81
RealGM

Post#70 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:53 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

And who signs off on big trades and signs the checks for the $200 million contracts?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#71 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:44 am

wco81 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

And who signs off on big trades and signs the checks for the $200 million contracts?

Ownership.
wco81
RealGM

Post#72 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:38 pm

Thought Elway had some ownership share.

That's the other thing, they're going to have to eat the contract of that lousy coach, get rid of him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#73 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:11 pm

wco81 wrote:Thought Elway had some ownership share.

That's the other thing, they're going to have to eat the contract of that lousy coach, get rid of him.

Elway runs the team. But he doesn't write the checks. That would be the Walton family.
wco81
RealGM

Post#74 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm

well they got rid of the coach and I saw some blurb that they're still confident in the person who hired the HC>

If it's the same person who also made the disastrous trade and the extension, that guy can't last too long.

Maybe they will scapegoat the GM.

Especially if no improvement shown next year while their pick turns out to be a rookie having immediate impact for Seattle.
wco81
RealGM

Post#75 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:20 pm

Broncos owner and GM tried to blame proBlems on Hackett, saying that they think Russell is fixable.

Now NFL pundits are counting all the bad on field decisions Russell made. Fix a 33-34 year old QB?

One stat, Russell was the most sacked QB last decade.

Then someone cited that Russ may be alienating teammates. Has not only his own parking spot but an office?

Knives are out.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#76 » by El Turco » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Elway runs the team. But he doesn't write the checks. That would be the Walton family.

pretty sure wilson deal was done before waltons bought the team

since they havent fired paton (yet) they must have faith in him to turn things around
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#77 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:46 pm

El Turco wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

pretty sure wilson deal was done before waltons bought the team

since they havent fired paton (yet) they must have faith in him to turn things around

The team was sold after the trade. But prior to his extension ($250m), which they approved.

Paton obviously hired Hackett because they thought it would lead to them getting Rodgers. Then made the pivotal mistake of pulling the trigger on Wilson. Thought he would fix everything. While completely ignoring the fact that his athleticism was declining & was not a good fit in that offense.

I don't see how he survives this long-term. He's probably there in the interim. Then will be out the door when they find his replacement.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#78 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:33 pm

wco81 wrote:Broncos owner and GM tried to blame proBlems on Hackett, saying that they think Russell is fixable.

Now NFL pundits are counting all the bad on field decisions Russell made. Fix a 33-34 year old QB?

One stat, Russell was the most sacked QB last decade.

Then someone cited that Russ may be alienating teammates. Has not only his own parking spot but an office?

Knives are out.

They're married to him.
wco81
RealGM

Post#79 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:58 pm

What do you mean, literally like in-laws?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,256

Post#80 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:08 pm

Stuck. Fcked. Lashed to the railroad tracks with no way out.

Return to The General NFL Board