Conference Championships

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,351

Re: Conference Championships 

Post#881 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:20 pm

righterwriter wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:There were 3 plays that cost the Lions the game.
1) Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal. considering they lost by 3 points, it needed to be brought up.
2) The fumble by Gibbs. Can't happen. It cost your team 7 points.
3) The bad throw by Purdy that goes off a Lion defender and luckily caught by Aiyuk. **** happens. I get it. Horrible break that cost you another 7 points.
49ers should feel very fortunate today. I didn't even include the 4 drops by the Lions in the game. 3 of them were just awful, especially the 2 by Josh Reynolds.Regardless, Lions covered so in that department all things went well for me.

For point #3, it was a pass interference on the DB anyway. So it would've been Niners ball on the 8 yard line. Wasn't a bad pass, the DB just impeded Aiyuk and got flagged for it.

Otherwise, I agree.

Officials after that play picked up the flag and said there was no penalty. That was the official ruling.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#882 » by WentzerWuver » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:32 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
1) Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal. considering they lost by 3 points, it needed to be brought up.
3) The bad throw by Purdy that goes off a Lion defender and luckily caught by Aiyuk. **** happens. I get it. Horrible break that cost you another 7 points.
49ers should feel very fortunate today. I didn't even include the 4 drops by the Lions in the game. 3 of them were just awful, especially the 2 by Josh Reynolds.Regardless, Lions covered so in that department all things went well for me.

Agreed - good summary
I don't agree on point #1 cause they been going for it on 4th and short all season long...its their MO that got them there. He's just using hindsight as an argument Lol. What if he had taken the FG and missed it? So now his argument is he should have gone for it like he's done all season long which he completed 26 out of 30 when going for it on 4th down.

It just bad luck and choking on the dropped balls.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,721

Post#883 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:08 pm

Interesting that cjx agrees with everyone, even people arguing with each other.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#884 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Agreed - good summary
I don't agree on point #1 cause they been going for it on 4th and short all season long...its their MO that got them there. He's just using hindsight as an argument Lol. What if he had taken the FG and missed it? So now his argument is he should have gone for it like he's done all season long which he completed 26 out of 30 when going for it on 4th down.

The worse one was not kicking the FG to tie it up at 27. I don't care if you have gone for it. You are in the NFC championship game in the 4th quarter down 3. Circumstances dictate kicking a FG to tie it up. That's common sense. The first one, I can understand.

Also, running the ball at the goal line at the end when you HAD to save all 3 timeouts.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#885 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 pm

Mr B wrote:I stopped watching about mid-way thru the 3rd but was following the game on my phone. The Lions lost this game for the same reason they lost the game in Dallas, Dan Campbell’s arrogance.

The ending is what I predict before the game however I didn’t think it would be because of an epic choke job in the 2nd half. The Niners got real lucky in this one.

Should be a fun matchup with the Chiefs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#886 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Agreed - good summary

The worse one was not kicking the FG to tie it up at 27. I don't care if you have gone for it. You are in the NFC championship game in the 4th quarter down 3. Circumstances dictate kicking a FG to tie it up. That's common sense. The first one, I can understand.

Also, running the ball at the goal line at the end when you HAD to save all 3 timeouts.

That’s arrogance on Campbell’s part. He cost them the win in the game against Dallas and likely cost them the game against the Niners.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#887 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:17 pm

El Turco wrote:
Mr B wrote:I stopped watching about mid-way thru the 3rd but was following the game on my phone. The Lions lost this game for the same reason they lost the game in Dallas, Dan Campbell’s arrogance.

The ending is what I predict before the game however I didn’t think it would be because of an epic choke job in the 2nd half. The Niners got real lucky in this one.

lol! Yall totally got lucky. Lions lost that game in epic fashion. Congrats on the win though. Was this Purdy’s first come from behind win?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,453

Post#888 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:17 pm

I did the math and I have Purdy as the #6 overall QB in the league. Only one's he's behind are Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers & Joe Burrow
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#889 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:19 pm

I will say this, 2 weeks in a row, the 9ers got off to a Slow start. Had to make come backs. If they have a slow start again for the next game, the Game will be over by Half Time.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#890 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:21 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I did the math and I have Purdy as the #6 overall QB in the league. Only one's he's behind are Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers & Joe Burrow

Is that math? What happened to your man Hurts? If Stroud isn't already better, he will be soon.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,453

Post#891 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I did the math and I have Purdy as the #6 overall QB in the league. Only one's he's behind are Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers & Joe Burrow

Is that math? What happened to your man Hurts? If Stroud isn't already better, he will be soon.

At this moment in time I have purdy ahead of hurts. Stroud is in that second tier with Hurts, Herbert, Stroud
El Turco

Post#892 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:34 pm

1--Campbell did this all season; he has the same problem Staley had. You can't just trust analytics without considering the situation and context and go for it on 4th down every time. They lost 3 points because of prevent defense; they likely would have needed more than that, but still, Campbell missed the chance to put pressure on a young quarterback. Either way, he rolled the dice with what got him here and got burned. By the way Niners also missed an easy field goal.

2--He fumbled as a Niners defender hit him; turnovers happen every game, meh.

3--That would have been a very difficult interception for the DB. So, even if Aiyuk didn't get that, the Niners would have had 2nd and 10 near midfield with Purdy rolling. Likely, the Niners would have scored points on that drive anyway.

Once Purdy started rolling Lions got flustered and began making mistakes. As we talked with Chiefs, great teams, teams that go to title games, are the ones that pounce on opponents' mistakes but you also need to pressure your opponent into making mistakes. Glad this playoff run Purdy and Shanahan proved that they can take advantage of the mistakes and come from behind when necessary.

El Turco

Post#893 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:

lol! Yall totally got lucky. Lions lost that game in epic fashion. Congrats on the win though. Was this Purdy’s first come from behind win?

He came from behind last week against Packers.

El Turco

Post#894 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:41 pm

In playoffs I would take Purdy over Lamar and maybe 40 year old Rodgers too. You have Mahomes, Burrow, Allen then next group Purdy, Stroud, Herbert, Hurts, Rodgers, Lamar.

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#895 » by goober » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm

It’s like the people who criticize brock purdy don’t watch the games that are in front of them
El Turco

Post#896 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:51 pm

Wonder if Purdy is the first seventh rounder super bowl MVP.

QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#897 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:55 pm

El Turco wrote:Wonder if Purdy is the first seventh rounder super bowl MVP.

No, he wouldn't be.
El Turco

Post#898 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:59 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:

No, he wouldn't be.

would have been nice if you had told me who the other ones are.

QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 332

Post#899 » by QB_Eagles » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:04 pm

El Turco wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

No, he wouldn't be.

would have been nice if you had told me who the other ones are.

Malcolm Smith (Seahawks) was the most recent one.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#900 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:04 pm

#2 Overall Pick Chase Young. Has been too quiet. Total bust. Not heard his name at all
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to The General NFL Board