Chris Kluwe's Respone to being cut by the Vikings

Moderator: bwgood77

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Chris Kluwe's Respone to being cut by the Vikings 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Jan 2, 2014 11:14 pm

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

He just released this today on deadspin its a pretty good read.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: Chris Kluwe's Respone to being cut by the Vikings 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:55 pm

It's interesting. I'm not sure his comments were the reason he was released, but it's possible it was a factor.
I think bigger story though is the alleged comments by Priefer.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Fri Jan 3, 2014 8:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:It's interesting. I'm not sure his comments were the reason he was released, but it's possible it was a factor.
I think bigger story though is the alleged comments by Priefer.

The Priefer stuff was pretty terrible if its true I hope he never gets another job in the NFL.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#4 » by threrf23 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 10:38 pm

Eh, if I am not missing anything, he is a 32 y/o punter with a bad knee. And his comments, whatever they were, were creating distractions brought upon from those outside of the organization. Mike Priefer doesn't come out of this looking good at all, but it's not clear whether he was a bigot or whether he had simply been trying to get a rise out of Kluwe. I don't discount Chris Kluwe and it is excusable for him to let emotions get in the way of seeing everything clearly and I am not sticking up for anyone else, but I think he goes a bit far in terms of labeling Frazier and Spielman as cowards. You don't label your ex-coworkers and bosses as cowards unless you have good reason to and his case against those two is not sufficiently established. That is where he loses a little bit of credibility with me.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 am

how does deadspin get all these scoops

they have really become awesome site lately
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#6 » by studcrackers » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 am

kluwe's written for him several times in the past, that's where this relationship comes from
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 pm

threrf23 wrote:Eh, if I am not missing anything, he is a 32 y/o punter with a bad knee. And his comments, whatever they were, were creating distractions brought upon from those outside of the organization. Mike Priefer doesn't come out of this looking good at all, but it's not clear whether he was a bigot or whether he had simply been trying to get a rise out of Kluwe. I don't discount Chris Kluwe and it is excusable for him to let emotions get in the way of seeing everything clearly and I am not sticking up for anyone else, but I think he goes a bit far in terms of labeling Frazier and Spielman as cowards. You don't label your ex-coworkers and bosses as cowards unless you have good reason to and his case against those two is not sufficiently established. That is where he loses a little bit of credibility with me.

I don't believe everything Kluwe wrote in the article - obviously he, like everyone else involved, has an agenda. But I agree with the general sentiment that his outspoken-ness probably played a role in costing him his job in the NFL, which is unfortunate.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#8 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:36 pm

gswhoops wrote:
threrf23 wrote:Eh, if I am not missing anything, he is a 32 y/o punter with a bad knee. And his comments, whatever they were, were creating distractions brought upon from those outside of the organization. Mike Priefer doesn't come out of this looking good at all, but it's not clear whether he was a bigot or whether he had simply been trying to get a rise out of Kluwe. I don't discount Chris Kluwe and it is excusable for him to let emotions get in the way of seeing everything clearly and I am not sticking up for anyone else, but I think he goes a bit far in terms of labeling Frazier and Spielman as cowards. You don't label your ex-coworkers and bosses as cowards unless you have good reason to and his case against those two is not sufficiently established. That is where he loses a little bit of credibility with me.

I don't believe everything Kluwe wrote in the article - obviously he, like everyone else involved, has an agenda. But I agree with the general sentiment that his outspoken-ness probably played a role in costing him his job in the NFL, which is unfortunate.

Kluwe's problem was one he has strong opinions and two he just wasn't very good his last season. 22nd in punting,17th in net makes it pretty easy to move on from him.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm

And more on Priefer.

http://deadspin.com/texts-with-blair-walsh-may-corroborate-kluwes-claims-a-1509039057

In a five-hour meeting Friday with investigators, Halunen said Kluwe identified Walsh and long snapper Cullen Loeffler as witnesses to what Priefer allegedly said numerous times in 2012 special teams meetings involving the punter, kicker and long snapper., and that [director of player personnel Les] Pico was told about it after the fact. Halunen noted that Kluwe told investigators he is willing to take a polygraph test.

Halunen further noted that Kluwe retained text messages from Walsh that refer to the things Priefer said, including that "nuke" comment.

Les Pico was allegedly advised of Priefer's conduct in late April/early May of 2013, and did nothing. Halunen therefore claims the Vikings initial comment on the matter on January 2—that "the Vikings were made aware of Chris Kluwe's allegations for the first time today."— was a lie. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf released a statement today, quickly clarifying that ownership was "entirely unaware of Chris Kluwe's allegations prior to the Deadspin article earlier this month.''
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#10 » by BloodyNose » Thu Mar 6, 2014 6:30 pm

studcrackers wrote:kluwe's written for him several times in the past, that's where this relationship comes from

OT: Best AVI
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#11 » by therealbig3 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 am

But I think his point is...who cares if people are being upset by what he's saying? You shouldn't back down from doing what's right just because some ignorant people get upset. And I agree with him on that, and I agree that it sounds hugely hypocritical for coaches to preach about being a good man and doing the right thing, but then tell him to shut up when he has the opportunity to do so.

Return to The General NFL Board