CLOWNEY 4.5

Moderator: bwgood77

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

CLOWNEY 4.5 

Post#1 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Jadeveon Clowney ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds following unofficial springs of 4.47 and 4.48.

Clowney planned to hit at least 4.5 in the 40.

37in. vert

Legit? I think so, you have to take him #1.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: CLOWNEY 4.5 

Post#2 » by Slava » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:38 am

Man was a freak at the combine and most likely the #1 pick. Him & Watt would be some combo for the Texans.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#3 » by penquin11 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Let's play a game of GUESS WHO THIS IS:

Player 1:
6'5 (6'4 7/8ths) 271 Lbs (combine measurements) DE
- ran a 4.52 40 at the combine, and had a 37' vertical leap. Also had 26 bench reps. He finished his college career with 33 sacks and 70 tackles for a loss.
- He was clearly a great athlete, and was also an excellent student (had a 4.0 GPA in highschool).
- He played for a real team in Penn State, and some of his teammates were LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short.

RESULT: After being selected #1 overall in his respective draft he went on to only have 19 sacks 6 years of play.

Who is he? Courtney Brown- #1 pick of the 2000 NFL Draft (Browns)
----------------------------------------
The point of all of this is that beign a great athlete doesn't guarantee that you will be a great player. And Clowney, a DE, isn't the largest need that the Texans have.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#4 » by Da Schwab » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

penquin11 wrote:- He played for a real team in Penn State, and some of his teammates were LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short.

Not sure what your point is here, unless you're a Penn State fan and just want to be a homer.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Da Schwab » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Also, Courtney Brown wasn't absolutely awful during his career, he was just more fragile than a carton of eggs.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by penquin11 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Schwabby wrote:
penquin11 wrote:- He played for a real team in Penn State, and some of his teammates were LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short.

Not sure what your point is here, unless you're a Penn State fan and just want to be a homer.

It's supposed to show that he wasn't on a Sun Belt or MAC team putting up stats against inferior competition
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Da Schwab » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 pm

penquin11 wrote:
Schwabby wrote:

It's supposed to show that he wasn't on a Sun Belt or MAC team putting up stats against inferior competition

So, it was a shot at Khalil Mack, who this thread isn't about?
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by penquin11 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Schwabby wrote:
penquin11 wrote:
Schwabby wrote:

So, it was a shot at Khalil Mack, who this thread isn't about?

I think you are reading into my intentions too much. The penn state comment was aimed to fight off those who were going to argue that prior comparisons were more raw or faced sub-par competition in comparison, which simply isn't true.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#9 » by Higga » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Clowney's got all the talent in the world but I get Albert Haynesworth vibes from him. Not sure if he'll really play hard all the time. I'm not sure I'd draft him #1 overall, especially if I'm Houston and didn't exactly get the best return on investment the last time they drafted a DL #1 overall(Mario Williams).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#10 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Higga wrote:Clowney's got all the talent in the world but I get Albert Haynesworth vibes from him. Not sure if he'll really play hard all the time. I'm not sure I'd draft him #1 overall, especially if I'm Houston and didn't exactly get the best return on investment the last time they drafted a DL #1 overall(Mario Williams).

The way I look at it is that he could have been the number 1 pick last year. Before the year starts he was the consensus number 1 with no question of effort. So I think he did what he needed to do to make it through the season w/o injury.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Da Schwab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Higga wrote:I'm not sure I'd draft him #1 overall, especially if I'm Houston and didn't exactly get the best return on investment the last time they drafted a DL #1 overall(Mario Williams).

The man had 53 sacks in six seasons.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Fresh_Prince12 wrote:
Higga wrote:Clowney's got all the talent in the world but I get Albert Haynesworth vibes from him. Not sure if he'll really play hard all the time. I'm not sure I'd draft him #1 overall, especially if I'm Houston and didn't exactly get the best return on investment the last time they drafted a DL #1 overall(Mario Williams).

The way I look at it is that he could have been the number 1 pick last year. Before the year starts he was the consensus number 1 with no question of effort. So I think he did what he needed to do to make it through the season w/o injury.

I would say playing a full season not to get hurt is a red flag. It's understandable but it's still a red flag. You want guys who give maximum effort all the time, not guys who half-ass it to protect their career. It's a little bit of a conundrum, he definitely could make any team that passes on him regret it.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#13 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:07 am

penquin11 wrote:Let's play a game of GUESS WHO THIS IS:

Player 1:
6'5 (6'4 7/8ths) 271 Lbs (combine measurements) DE
- ran a 4.52 40 at the combine, and had a 37' vertical leap. Also had 26 bench reps. He finished his college career with 33 sacks and 70 tackles for a loss.
- He was clearly a great athlete, and was also an excellent student (had a 4.0 GPA in highschool).
- He played for a real team in Penn State, and some of his teammates were LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short.

RESULT: After being selected #1 overall in his respective draft he went on to only have 19 sacks 6 years of play.

Who is he? Courtney Brown- #1 pick of the 2000 NFL Draft (Browns)
----------------------------------------
The point of all of this is that beign a great athlete doesn't guarantee that you will be a great player. And Clowney, a DE, isn't the largest need that the Texans have.

Brown was not a bad player, he just had injury problem, which can happen to anybody. The combine does not have any measurement to determine any possible future injury.

you are taking one player and one situation and taking it totally out of context.

Courtney was the best player in the draft and the Browns did the right thing by selecting him. your points is idiotic
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#14 » by tcorbin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Are you kidding me, in what world is Mario Williams not a great #1 pick. He currently has 77 sacks, last year he got 13 sacks (JJ Watt only got 10 sacks).

Mario will end his career with atleast 100 sacks.

Mario was a good pick, i don't know who you wanted HOU to take over Mario... Reggie Bush, Vince Young, DBrickashaw, Matt Leinart???
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#15 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm

That's enough Reggie bush talk. Hes a SUPERBOWL champion. The others have not led or contributed to their teams in achieving that. Mario vs Reggie is a wrap. 1 is a champion. The other is still attempting to be...
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#16 » by gswhoops » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:That's enough Reggie bush talk. Hes a SUPERBOWL champion. The others have not led or contributed to their teams in achieving that. Mario vs Reggie is a wrap. 1 is a champion. The other is still attempting to be...

Dear lord, I hope this is sarcasm.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:58 pm

The TRUTH shall set you free!
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#18 » by ATL Boy » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:12 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:That's enough Reggie bush talk. Hes a SUPERBOWL champion. The others have not led or contributed to their teams in achieving that. Mario vs Reggie is a wrap. 1 is a champion. The other is still attempting to be...

You forgot the green font.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#19 » by Little Italia » Sun Mar 2, 2014 10:58 pm

Houston should just draft Bortles. I see a future Roethlisberger in that kid.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#20 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Mar 3, 2014 1:08 am

I think Houston should go for the top offensive tackle. He grades higher. They have a top notch defensive end, and pairing him with a top notch offensive lineman shores up the front. AND THEN...FOR THE 2ND TIME AROUND...wait for the CARR PART II to lead them at QB. That would be twilight zone kinda stuff. Draft the younger of 2 brothers to lead your franchise.

Return to The General NFL Board