Kapernick wants more $ than Cutler

Moderator: bwgood77

BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Kapernick wants more $ than Cutler 

Post#1 » by BloodyNose » Mon Mar 3, 2014 11:46 pm

Cutler is garbage, but what has kap proven? That he can take a stout defense to the nfc championship? 9ers should just let him walk at the end of his contract, keep that solid D going as long as possible. Hes not a qb that makes everyone better
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: Kapernick wants more $ than Cutler 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Tue Mar 4, 2014 3:03 pm

Not going to happen, especially with the way the salary cap is projected to escalate over the next few years.

When you have a good QB, you don't let him walk. Period. Might as well be engraved in stone.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#3 » by Higga » Tue Mar 4, 2014 4:59 pm

It's better to overpay for a QB who is good but not great, then to let him walk and end up with mediocrity at the position.

I'm sure the Niners will work something out with Kaep. You don't let a talent like that walk.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#4 » by GswStorm3 » Tue Mar 4, 2014 8:46 pm

18 mil per year wouldn't bother me. But I'd rather it be a 3 year extension.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#5 » by Nolan » Thu Mar 6, 2014 9:18 am

You can't let a guy like that walk so you pay him and deal with the consequences later. It's the way of the NFL unfortunately.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#6 » by BloodyNose » Thu Mar 6, 2014 4:41 pm

Nolan wrote:You can't let a guy like that walk so you pay him and deal with the consequences later. It's the way of the NFL unfortunately.

Is it some culture thing? Unless i had a brady or manning i would be dropping qbs every rookie contract. But i guess this ain't a video game lol
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#7 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Mar 6, 2014 11:44 pm

Iv e always felt that its the QB coaches fault. You have to teach the QB to check down to the outlet receiver. Or throw it out of bounds. Teach ball security. But in crucial situations he doesnt have prepared traing to fall back on. He wings it. Like the sherman interception. #1. Thats the top DB, check down to next receiver. #2. Its like 1st down. No need to gamble there. Dude is wide open on other side. #3. Run! So i think the execution is not taught. Coach this guy up, and without a doubt, he is top grade A material!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#8 » by Lionlifer » Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:48 pm

It's a league where you overpay the QB, so he'll get it.

Besides, there are worse options out there.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#9 » by righterwriter » Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:51 pm

If the cap goes up to $160M in two years, $18M/yr will be a bargain.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#10 » by gswhoops » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 pm

BloodyNose wrote:
Nolan wrote:You can't let a guy like that walk so you pay him and deal with the consequences later. It's the way of the NFL unfortunately.

Is it some culture thing? Unless i had a brady or manning i would be dropping qbs every rookie contract. But i guess this ain't a video game lol

It's a winning thing. Having a good QB doesn't guarantee you'll have a good team, but NOT having a good QB pretty much guarantees you'll have a bad team. To use an emperical example, of the 12 teams that made the playoffs this year, the lowest total QBR belonged to Alex Smith (23rd out of 39). The other 11 playoff QBs were all in the top 15 by total QBR, and seven were in the top 10. So basically, while a good-but-not-elite QB will not carry you to the playoffs, you ain't making the playoffs without one.

Championship teams have limited windows, for all sorts of reasons (age, salary cap and injury being the most common). A team with a championship window isn't going to burn a year or two (or more) hoping they can find/draft/develop a high level QB when they know they already have one on the roster. That's why guys like Flacco, Cutler and Ryan get huge deals, and that's why Kaepernick (and Wilson, and Newton, and Luck) will get big deals.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#11 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 am

BloodyNose wrote:Cutler is garbage, but what has kap proven? That he can take a stout defense to the nfc championship? 9ers should just let him walk at the end of his contract, keep that solid D going as long as possible. Hes not a qb that makes everyone better

You're definitely right no doubt, but SF really doesn't have a choice. They're not going to want to start over at QB considering: A) There isn't any viable starting QB's in FA next year and B) SF is not going to want to draft a rookie and have to work with him when they already have the pieces to contend for a SB.
BloodyNose
Banned User

Post#12 » by BloodyNose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:
BloodyNose wrote:Cutler is garbage, but what has kap proven? That he can take a stout defense to the nfc championship? 9ers should just let him walk at the end of his contract, keep that solid D going as long as possible. Hes not a qb that makes everyone better

You're definitely right no doubt, but SF really doesn't have a choice. They're not going to want to start over at QB considering: A) There isn't any viable starting QB's in FA next year and B) SF is not going to want to draft a rookie and have to work with him when they already have the pieces to contend for a SB.

Ye now that I think about it, my strategy isn't viable in the NFL because imagine how discouraging it would be knowing a team is going to drop you in 3 years no matter what, unless you're an complete stud. It make your organization a joke.

Return to The General NFL Board