Mark Cuban: NFL '10 Years from Implosion'

Moderator: bwgood77

dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Mark Cuban: NFL '10 Years from Implosion' 

Post#1 » by dr3am » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:57 pm

DALLAS - Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

"I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule number one of business."

Cuban is specifically referring to the NFL expanding their television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

In February, the NFL announced a one-year deal with CBS and NFL Network partnering to televise Thursday night games. CBS, which won the bidding for the Thursday night package over NBC, ABC, Fox and Turner, will air the games during the first eight weeks of the season, simulcasting them with the NFL Network. The league's cable network will exclusively show six Thursday night games later in the season with CBS' top announcing tandem of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth. The NFL Network will also have a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16.

The NFL started a limited package of Thursday night games in 2006. The NFL Network showed 13 Thursday night games last season.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week. ...

"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with the occasional Monday night game. He compared it to the decline in popularity of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" after the game show expanded to air five days a week.

"They put it on every night," Cuban said. "Not 100 percent analogous, but they handled it the same. I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

Do you agree or disagree with Mark Cuban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Mark Cuban: NFL '10 Years from Implosion' 

Post#2 » by Higga » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Disagree big time. People love football. We can't get enough. Come September, the highest rated programs every week are always NFL football games.

And it's not like football will ever be on everyday of the week. It's still going to be like 99% games on Sunday. You'll have a game a week on Thursday and a game a week on Monday, not that big of a deal. People love football and will watch.

Cuban just sounds like a bitter competitor who knows his product will always be inferior.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#3 » by Da Schwab » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

I agree with him to an extent. Reason being: the NFL has pitched the expansion of the season, and Eric Winston (not a week into his tenure as NFLPA prez) said that he would immediately shoot down any attempt by the league and the owners to push the schedule to 18 games.

Yet, I believe that lengthening the season is inevitable with the way the NFL rakes in revenue. This will make the next CBA a nightmare in negotiation because of restructuring deals, medical issues (which is already a hot button issue), and dividing TV revenue.

As popular as the NFL is, and how far their reach is in literal day-by-day business in the country, there's bound to be a massive hiccup in the not too distant future.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#4 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Cuban is correct! He is right! The NFL will lose it in the area of live attendance. Watch on big screen TV with my own BBQ and popcorn? Or go to a game and get killed with high ticket prices. $25 hotdog. And someone spilling their 9 dollar beer on you.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#5 » by NaturalBuns » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Mark Cuban has been trashing the NFL for years.
So I'd say no
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#6 » by craig01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 am

I agree that stadium attendance will be the casualty, but not the nfls status as the most popular sport.

$40 parking, $75 tickets including the rip off preseason games, $10 beer, loudmouth drunks, and of course the heavy duty entrance through security.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#7 » by BloodyNose » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:27 am

i like football, its still only 17 weeks+ playoffs, nothing is going to implode unless they extend the season by a large margin
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#8 » by Higga » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:00 pm

I don't think stadium attendance will suffer that much. Certain cities are always going to sell out their stadiums on Sunday. Yeah it's more convenient to watch on TV, but there is a certain atmosphere and vibe to watching games live that is still worthwhile, and many people plan their 8 Sundays a year in the Fall around their NFL gameday including tailgating(best part about going to a game IMO).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#9 » by El Turco » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:47 pm

just sports bettors make the thursday and monday games worthwhile for nfl.

if there is anything that would make nfl implode, it is concussions
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#10 » by Slava » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't understand him saying that while owning a franchise in the NBA where likely 20/82 games eventually turn meaningless.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#11 » by therealbig3 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:19 am

I kind of agree, the NFL is disgustingly money-hungry. Will that mean people will stop buying the product...nah, I doubt that would happen any time soon, but popularity might decline at some point in the future when the NFL continues to make decisions based on money and not league quality.

Return to The General NFL Board