Jets vs Colts

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Jets vs Colts 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:07 pm

When you first think of this game from a betting perspective, you think Indy, after losing to Buffalo, will come out strong and crush the Jets. But being from AZ and following the Cards, and watching how Bowles has run the defense makes me wonder if he is just going to do what Buffalo did with maybe even better personnel (Revis, etc).

This is kind of a more interesting game to me than it appears to be on the surface.

And I keep wondering "Are the Colts for real?" Or is it just Luck is great and he makes their team look better than they are (or has for the last two years).

I am strongly thinking of laying actual money on the Jets tonight...was thinking about it before reading this...

For six seasons under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets defense played with swagger, a controlled arrogance that emphasized blitzing and an aggressive style of play. And not much has changed with new boss Todd Bowles now running the show in New York.

During the Jets' Week 1 win over the Cleveland Browns, Bowles' defense blitzed on 48 percent of dropbacks. That's a big number -- a monster number -- but it's also a major part of Bowles' resume. The last two seasons, with Bowles as the defensive coordinator, the Arizona Cardinals blitzed on 47 percent of dropbacks. That was the highest mark in the league over that span by nearly 4 percentage points.

In short, Bowles isn't afraid to bring the heat, and he has the talent -- at all three levels -- to continue driving the same identity Ryan established while in New York. They attack up front, challenge receivers and look to put the quarterback on the ground.

With that in mind, let's talk about the personnel Bowles has to work with, look back at the tape from Week 1 and discuss how the Jets can continue to dictate tempo in anticipation of their Monday Night Football matchup against Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts.

The perfect mesh of rush and coverage

In New York, it starts with the big boys up front. Muhammad Wilkerson is a blue-chip player, no other way to say it. He's a legit beast who can win one-on-one matchups. He'll be getting more of those since the Jets drafted Leonard Williams in the first round. The former USC product has the skill set to be a real contributor as a rookie. Add in mammoth DT Damon Harrison and suspended DE Sheldon Richardson (who will return in Week 5), and this group has the depth, size and quickness to cause consistent disruption up front against both the run and pass game.

At linebacker, the Jets have what I call "moveable parts," players who can rush out of the base 3-4 or align in a variety of positions in Bowles' sub-packages. That leads to multiple looks and scripted matchups in blitz schemes to attack where the defensive is most vulnerable (see diagram below). Quinton Coples, David Harris, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace -- they're all tackling machines inside with the speed outside to rush hard.

Courtesy NFL
The true key to Bowles' scheme lies in the secondary. Play blitz-man and tell those defensive backs to hold on tight. And Bowles can do that with a backend that includes Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Williams, nickelback Buster Skrine and two safeties who play defined roles for the Jets. Marcus Gilchrist has the footwork and range to play in the middle of the field or drop down in coverage. And strong safety Calvin Pryor, a 2014 first rounder, is playing more downhill, adding to blitz fronts and chipping in against the run.

This rare combination of talent allows Bowles to turn up the heat and play his brand of football, keeping quarterbacks off-balance.

The "zero" blitz

One of Bowles' calling cards is Cover 0, or zero-man, when he sends six- or seven-man pressure. That's an all-out blitz with no help over the top. And with Bowles, it can come at any time, in any down and distance situation.

The idea is to send more than they can block and tell the defensive backs to challenge the receivers. That allows the Jets to attack gaps up front and put the game in the hands of the secondary.

When quarterbacks read zero-man versus the Jets, the ball is coming out hot. That leads to wide receivers running short routes -- slant, hitch, fade or quick out. But given the Jets' secondary and the off-man technique they use in these situations (see diagram below), the defensive backs are in the proper position to drive on the ball and make plays.

Courtesy NFL
There is always a risk when sending zero-man: Miss a tackle in the secondary, and the band starts playing. But Bowles runs this defense without fear just like he did in Arizona. Third and long? It doesn't matter. Here comes the pressure. Better tell your quarterback to be ready.

Setting a trap

Like Ryan, Bowles has a diverse blitz package. And while Ryan's scheme can be more exotic at times, Bowles will mix his man-pressures with some zone looks to set a trap for the offense.

Back in Week 1, the Jets showed a 2-Trap coverage (see diagram below) to counter the tight splits from the Browns and the flat-7 (corner) route. Out of their base 3-4, New York rushed five in this situation with both outside linebackers coming off the edge and the two ILBs dropping in coverage. Doing this gives the Jets two defenders inside the numbers to play a possible middle-of-the-field throw.

In this scenario, it's secondary doing the trapping. The idea is to show the quarterback Cover 2 (two-deep) as the cornerbacks sink hard at the snap to protect the safeties. But it's all a disguise: The cornerbacks are coached to jump any outside-breaking route, while letting the safety pick up the vertical (corner route). On this particular play, the scheme put Revis in a position to drive downhill on the flat route from the tight end.

This is just one example, but it speaks to Bowles' ability to show the offense something pre-snap before taking it away quickly. And he does it by creating chaos for the quarterback with pressure. Yes, zero-man is always going to be identified first in Bowles' system, but this Jets defense is much more multiple than that.

You can bet the Jets have taken a hard look at the Colts-Bills tape from Week 1 as they prepped for Luck & Co. In that matchup, the Ryan-coached Bills gave the Indy quarterback a variety of different looks up front, brought plenty of pressure and locked down receivers in the secondary. The Buffalo defensive backs played out of their minds and were consistently in a position to attack the ball. Inside breaking routes, hot reads, the deep throws -- man, the Bills were ready to play under Ryan.

Can the Jets get the same production from their secondary when they bring pressure? With Cromartie questionable due to a knee injury, New York could be without one of the most natural playmakers in the NFL. The good news for the Jets: Williams, who logged 30 snaps in relief of Cromartie, played good football against the Browns. Yes, the talent outside the numbers with the Colts takes a major jump compared to the Cleveland roster, but I don't expect Bowles to change his game plan.

For the Jets beat the Colts and move to 2-0 on the season, it starts with limiting Luck. That's the story. Get after him and beat up those receivers. With Bowles, that means zero-pressure, some overload fronts and pre-snap disguises that put his guys in a position to make plays. Win up front versus the run game and put Luck in a position where he has to throw the ball under pressure.

Ryan showed them the path to get there with his defense last week. And Bowles' will bring that same identity to Indianapolis on tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13700009/without-rex-ryan-new-york-jets-defense-continues-bring-heat-nfl
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Jets vs Colts 

Post#2 » by Icness » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:01 am

Anyone coming around to joining me on the "Andrew Luck is overhyped" platform yet? Ever?
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#3 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:07 am

im not really enamored with him like some, of course none of the qb's under 30 really impress me the way the ones in their 30's do. having said that, the colts gm has done a really sh*tty job putting together that team
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:28 am

Good god, Colts, get your **** together. A goal line fumble?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:38 am

Yeah, throw another interception Luck!
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#6 » by Latrell » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:41 am

So, we are pretty terrible.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,451

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:43 am

IF, the Jets had a QB, they'd be legit.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 am

Icness wrote:Anyone coming around to joining me on the "Andrew Luck is overhyped" platform yet? Ever?

Can we just agree that Rodgers and Brady are in a class of their own.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 am

I love watching the Fitz play. Every 1/3 times he decides to not throw 20 feet over a receiver's head he throws an absolute rocket of a pass hitting a receiver right in his stride that makes you think he's Brett Favre with a beard. No other QB I'd rather watch when I'm high as ****.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:52 am

Slava wrote:Yeah, throw another interception Luck!

And yet, people say he is WAY better than RW. :roll:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:57 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Slava wrote:Yeah, throw another interception Luck!

And yet, people say he is WAY better than RW. :roll:

Wilson is like 0-2 too. Luck probably is better, he's close to starting a rally right here and I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts win this one. He's the only reason that offense is even moving the chains right now.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 am

They should win! They're playing at home.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 am

Never a dull moment with Fitz!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 am

Game over.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am

weak personal foul
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Slava » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:20 am

That offensive line is more open than a brothel today.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 am

Luck leads league with 28 turnovers over last year. Wow.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#18 » by therealbig3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:26 am

I think Luck is a better QB than Wilson, but he's much closer to Wilson than he is Brady or Rodgers, which is where analysts and fans are trying to place him.

I'd take Rodgers, Brady, Flacco, Ryan, Palmer, Roethlisberger, and P. Manning over him easily, off the top of my head. Brees and Romo too, when healthy. Closer to not being a top 10 QB than a top 5 one, imo.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 am

flacco and ryan over him easily? come on now
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#20 » by therealbig3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 am

Alright fine, I'm going overboard a bit, but they're definitely arguable. He's a good QB, but not elite, and there are plenty of QBs at his level, while there are some clearly better. But the way some people talk about him, there's Rodgers, Brady, maybe Manning, then Luck, and then everyone else, and that's just not the case.

Return to The General NFL Board