bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,613

Re: Smack talk thread? 

Post#61 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:22 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bleu wrote:Trophies are kind of a tricky thing. Because yeah, it's the biggest prize in all of football, and most players would give a firstborn child to get one, but are the New York Jets really a better franchise than my Panthers because they have 1 ring (from Super Bowl III) and haven't done squat since? And could a 40 year old Jets fan come out and say "at least my Jets have a trophy in their case"? That's not to say that old trophies are worthless, but let's be real, nobody would trade 40 years of crappy football for a ring.

Honestly I think bragging about old rings or trophies is ridiculous. We are in the here and now and sports are all about entertainment. I've seen people say they would rather see 5 or 10 terrible years from6 their team if they finally got a ring (mostly in basketball because of the nature in the forum). The only team I've seen win it all is the AZ Wildcats winning the basketball championship one year, but I would give that up for being fun and entertaining every year.

I can't wait to see my teams play because it is entertaining and even if they are only competitive and almost make the playoffs or make it and lose in a round, that provides me entertainment every year. The Suns have sucked for 6 years and I didn't even care to watch them some of the time but was rarely excited, except their one year they vastly overachieved, though I knew in the long run that would probably hurt their draft pick and future.

Even if my team was just super competitive every year but never made it to win it all, I would take the great feelings and heartbreak, both of which are part of being a fan over sucking for many years and then winning a ring one year and then not being great after that.

Sports have been tough for me lately. The AZ Wildcats actually also won a baseball world series a couple years ago but I'm not really a baseball fan and didn't really watch it. Their basketball team once they hired Sean Miller has been super fun to watch until they got knocked out by Wisconsin in the elite eight twice.

Even if the Chargers just make the playoffs it's great for me and if they win a game right now when I know they are clearly not one of the better teams, it is fun.

It's also fun to see the Cardinals do well despite not ever winning it all after many years of being awful.

I don't know. I mean I want my teams to win, man. I think it kind of depends on the situation for each team. If your team is really good, then you likely really want the championship. But, If your team doesn't stand out, then you might be more likely to settle for just competing :dontknow:. After winning the Super Bowl, I know I'm definitely not satisfied when they don't win it. :cry:

Meanwhile, in soccer I'm okay with Liverpool not winning the title, but they haven't won in a long time & aren't currently on the level of other top clubs. So, again it kind of depends on one's own expectations. Realistic or not?

It really depends on how good your team is. If your team is elite and should or can win the super bowl and is a top seed in their conference, it of course is a disappointment not to win it all.

And Seattle has been pretty good most years over the last 10 years or so, you have a different perspective, Even when they had Hasselback and Alexander they still won the division at 9-7 for quite a few years in a row so you always got to the playoffs, so you yearned to go further, which is understandable. I imagine you are younger than me and haven't experienced many ups and downs and if you had like 7 or 8 awful years you would probably say you'd rather have a run of being competitive for many years for entertainment sake because after all, we want to have fun watching teams, and that is really the primary reasons fans watch sports, whether they realize it or not. Players value rings, but fans don't get rings or trophies. Winning it all is exhilarating when it happens but watching your team suck for years is far worse than the high of winning it all once. At least for me, and I imagine for most.

In the basketball forums people are focused largely on rings, and guys getting a ring. It's important for the players but I don't understand for the life of me why fans (I understand your thoughts on this matter) think Durant made a good choice joining the Warriors. He had a great team, the league and playoffs were great to watch for all fans, and now we will likely even see fewer teams with any chance of winning it all. Why is that fun for the majority of fans of all nba teams? Their team has no chance and 8 months of mostly meaningless games ends up with what everyone expects.

This is why I like the NFL far more. You really have no idea what will happen. Sure people expect some of the same teams to again get to the playoffs, but there are ALWAYS unexpected teams making the playoffs and huge surprises, like a 6th seed making the super bowl...it happened I think a couple years in a row. Also we've seen teams go from worst to first. We saw four years of the NFC south where each team won the division. There was a stretch at one point where all the NFC west teams made the Super Bowl within like 10 years, or probably less. THAT is interesting to me.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,494

Post#62 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:It really depends on how good your team is. If your team is elite and should or can win the super bowl and is a top seed in their conference, it of course is a disappointment not to win it all.

Exactly.

bwgood77 wrote:In the basketball forums people are focused largely on rings, and guys getting a ring. It's important for the players but I don't understand for the life of me why fans (I understand your thoughts on this matter) think Durant made a good choice joining the Warriors. He had a great team, the league and playoffs were great to watch for all fans, and now we will likely even see fewer teams with any chance of winning it all. Why is that fun for the majority of fans of all nba teams? Their team has no chance and 8 months of mostly meaningless games ends up with what everyone expects.

:lol: I'm in a unique situation. Having lost my team. Also suffering through mediocre basketball in the early to mid 2000's. Anyway...Maybe you should take up Soccer (as a replacement), like I did. :D
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
ErnieDiGregorio
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#63 » by ErnieDiGregorio » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:41 am

bleu wrote:
ErnieDiGregorio wrote:
bleu wrote:
Somewhat surprisingly (to me at least), yeah they are. It's estimated the Cowboys are worth 4 billion, followed by Real Madrid and Barcelona at 3.65 and 3.55. The Pats are the next NFL franchise on the list at 3.2, and the Redskins at 2.85.

Kind of crazy that a team who plays an "American sport", and has a maximum of 20 games per year (usually not more than 16 for the Cowboys :wink: ), can make more money than a team from the "worlds most popular sport" that plays 38 games a year. Just shows the enormity of the NFL.

since 95 or 96'
the Cowboys have been to playoffs 8 times= 11 games.
thats basically almost every other year in the playoffs.Closer to 17 games a year
Theyve been to 60 playoff games in 56 seasons. They are stuck in the american sports Conscience.
its just that Americans are taught consumption more than any other country and everyone likes the simple blue star as an American national symbol.

It's just a joke. I know that the Cowboys have a long tradition of winning and a lot of rings. I'm just talking smack and poking fun at the fact that they haven't done great in recent years.

yes, lol I should get that..but I was just exercising my memory from something else I was reading
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,341

Post#64 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Just think how much more they could be worth and won if cancerous Jerry Jones didn't start dismantling the Cowboys in 1994 with the firing of Jimmy and signing of Dionne Sanders and a few years later promoting himself as GM. Any other GM with his performance would have been fired after 5 years.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#65 » by bleu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Just think how much more they could be worth and won if cancerous Jerry Jones didn't start dismantling the Cowboys in 1994 with the firing of Jimmy and signing of Dionne Sanders and a few years later promoting himself as GM. Any other GM with his performance would have been fired after 5 years.

HBO's Real Sports had like a 20 minute long segment on Jerry. It was really pretty interesting. I mean, the guy is a hell of a businessman, you can't deny that. But as great as he is at being a businessman, he is one awful GM. In his early years he got pretty lucky by making a home run coaching hire and picking up some great players that got him championship, but after that it was all downhill. With the kind of money that organization has, they should have the best GM in the world putting together a championship contender every single year.

The most comical part of the interview was when they asked him about the whole Greg Hardy situation. His response was something among the lines of "well, he was never convicted and so therefore he's innocent and we like to give people second chances". At that point I realized, this guy will do absolutely anything in the world to win, except for taming his own ego enough to go out and hire a real General Manager. If I were a Cowboys fan, I would be grateful for what he has built, but patiently waiting for him to get so old that he doesn't have any choice but to step aside.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#66 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 pm

That's why from 1966 to 1985 was such a special time for me growing up. It wasn't just the super bowl hardware, it was the experience, the ride and always being proud and exciting. Hell, we had 20 straight seasons without a losing record. Only missed the playoffs once during that span (lost in a tie breaker in a strike year in 1974). It was the experience of always being there and close. Even when we didn't win the super bowl or get to the super bowl, we were always knocking on the door. Christ, we were in 12 NFC/NFL Championship games in a 17 year span that has never been matched. We had one of the greatest legendary coaches of all time who help shape and set the standard for how football is played today with the help of one of the greatest GM's in football history, Tex Schramm. I really don't think the younger poster's, especially those who just hate the Cowboys, what that standard has done for today's NFL. So lighten up a bit guys. I grew up spoiled from day one with probably way too much success than I ever expected. I see what Jerry has done since day one. He sickens me. Maybe someday we can win despite him but don't see it regardless of the talent we currently have. These past 17 years and lack of success on the football field (and off), is something I have never experienced before. I finally know what its like to be an old Patriot, Lion and Browns fan. We stated from scratch in 1960. Made our first NFL Championship game in 1966. The Patriots had to wait 43 years. God forbid that happens for the Cowboys now. I may not see another Super Bowl as I approach my golden years.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#67 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:38 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote: I finally know what its like to be an old Patriot, Lion and Browns fan. We stated from scratch in 1960. Made our first NFL Championship game in 1966. The Patriots had to wait 43 years. God forbid that happens for the Cowboys now. I may not see another Super Bowl as I approach my golden years.

C'mon now. You have had some decent teams since the 90's. Some playoff teams. Along with the Super Bowls. You really are getting ahead of yourself. I mean you almost played in the Nfc championship game, had they ruled that a catch by Dez :wink:. A lot of fans would kill to be in your position.
ErnieDiGregorio
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by ErnieDiGregorio » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's why from 1966 to 1985 was such a special time for me growing up. It wasn't just the super bowl hardware, it was the experience, the ride and always being proud and exciting. Hell, we had 20 straight seasons without a losing record. Only missed the playoffs once during that span (lost in a tie breaker in a strike year in 1974). It was the experience of always being there and close. Even when we didn't win the super bowl or get to the super bowl, we were always knocking on the door. Christ, we were in 12 NFC/NFL Championship games in a 17 year span that has never been matched. We had one of the greatest legendary coaches of all time who help shape and set the standard for how football is played today with the help of one of the greatest GM's in football history, Tex Schramm. I really don't think the younger poster's, especially those who just hate the Cowboys, what that standard has done for today's NFL. So lighten up a bit guys. I grew up spoiled from day one with probably way too much success than I ever expected. I see what Jerry has done since day one. He sickens me. Maybe someday we can win despite him but don't see it regardless of the talent we currently have. These past 17 years and lack of success on the football field (and off), is something I have never experienced before. I finally know what its like to be an old Patriot, Lion and Browns fan. We stated from scratch in 1960. Made our first NFL Championship game in 1966. The Patriots had to wait 43 years. God forbid that happens for the Cowboys now. I may not see another Super Bowl as I approach my golden years.

Jerry Jones got 3 SBs and youre complaining?
Tex and Landry only won 2 SBs.
3>2

Dallas couldnt beat Pitt like Pats couldnt beat Giants. Maybe that makes Knoll a superior coach and theyre GM superior? was Knoll the GM for Pitt too? knoll won 4, Landry won 2. Knoll >Landry

We had one of the greatest legendary coaches of all time who help shape and set the standard for how football is played today with the help of one of the greatest GM's in football history, Tex Schramm. I really don't think the younger poster's, especially those who just hate the Cowboys, what that standard has done for today's NFL. So lighten up a bit guys. I grew up spoiled from day one with probably way too much success than I ever expected.

care to tell me what watching a team win on your tv has ever done for the betterment of your life? Did it help your job,marriage,finances?
who's we? all you did was watch a game on tv.
ErnieDiGregorio
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by ErnieDiGregorio » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
I finally know what its like to be an old Patriot, Lion and Browns fan. We stated from scratch in 1960. Made our first NFL Championship game in 1966. The Patriots had to wait 43 years. God forbid that happens for the Cowboys now. I may not see another Super Bowl as I approach my golden years.

going to 11 playoff games in the last 19 years means the Cowboys are nothing like the Lions or Browns of the same period.

you know what?
Browns are superior to Dallas in American professional football championships wins and appearances.
Browns have won 8 Championships while Appearing in 12 championship games

The Cowboys are 5 out of 10.
That means the Cowboys are historically inferior to the Browns. So, no, the Cowboys arent like the Browns
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#70 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:50 am

Browns should have more. They have been in the NFL 28 more years than most teams. Only had to compete against 7 other teams most of the time. Since 1960 we've had to compete with 17 other teams year in and year out. Actually belong in the NFC as one of the original 8. Its been almost 60 years since their last. I suppose you call the last 60 years success though because they made the playoffs a handful of times.
ErnieDiGregorio
Pro Prospect

Post#71 » by ErnieDiGregorio » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:26 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Browns should have more. They have been in the NFL 28 more years than most teams. Only had to compete against 7 other teams most of the time. Since 1960 we've had to compete with 17 other teams year in and year out. Actually belong in the NFC as one of the original 8. Its been almost 60 years since their last. I suppose you call the last 60 years success though because they made the playoffs a handful of times.

what I called them was historically superior in total championships because they are historically superior in total championships.
stop complaining about getting 3 championships with Jerry.
That s obviously superior to Tom Landry and his 2 measly championships lol

and stop saying 'we'. You didnt do a damn thing but buy a ticket
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#72 » by jwise44 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:57 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's why from 1966 to 1985 was such a special time for me growing up. It wasn't just the super bowl hardware, it was the experience, the ride and always being proud and exciting. Hell, we had 20 straight seasons without a losing record. Only missed the playoffs once during that span (lost in a tie breaker in a strike year in 1974). It was the experience of always being there and close. Even when we didn't win the super bowl or get to the super bowl, we were always knocking on the door. Christ, we were in 12 NFC/NFL Championship games in a 17 year span that has never been matched. We had one of the greatest legendary coaches of all time who help shape and set the standard for how football is played today with the help of one of the greatest GM's in football history, Tex Schramm. I really don't think the younger poster's, especially those who just hate the Cowboys, what that standard has done for today's NFL. So lighten up a bit guys. I grew up spoiled from day one with probably way too much success than I ever expected. I see what Jerry has done since day one. He sickens me. Maybe someday we can win despite him but don't see it regardless of the talent we currently have. These past 17 years and lack of success on the football field (and off), is something I have never experienced before. I finally know what its like to be an old Patriot, Lion and Browns fan. We stated from scratch in 1960. Made our first NFL Championship game in 1966. The Patriots had to wait 43 years. God forbid that happens for the Cowboys now. I may not see another Super Bowl as I approach my golden years.

Dude, this is a smack talk thread...YOUR SMACK TALK THREAD...and you tell us (I guess mainly me) to lighten up?

I was just playing man, I just was born and bred to hate the cowboys, just like I was the mavs and the Jazz

It's just a fun smack talk thread
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#73 » by jwise44 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 am

ErnieDiGregorio wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Browns should have more. They have been in the NFL 28 more years than most teams. Only had to compete against 7 other teams most of the time. Since 1960 we've had to compete with 17 other teams year in and year out. Actually belong in the NFC as one of the original 8. Its been almost 60 years since their last. I suppose you call the last 60 years success though because they made the playoffs a handful of times.

what I called them was historically superior in total championships because they are historically superior in total championships.

Dude you need to relax, obviously everyone knows fans don't do anything but show up...you go way to crazy over some small things in some of these threads

When we say we or our in reference to a team we don't think we actually are a part of the team

1. It's just easier because it lets people reading know who you're a fan of
And
2. A lot of us are lifelong fans, so (at least in my case) when I say we I mean Houston...when I talk about the Knicks saints or steelers I don't use the term we
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:29 am

jwise44 wrote:
ErnieDiGregorio wrote:

Dude you need to relax, obviously everyone knows fans don't do anything but show up...you go way to crazy over some small things in some of these threads

When we say we or our in reference to a team we don't think we actually are a part of the team

1. It's just easier because it lets people reading know who you're a fan of
And
2. A lot of us are lifelong fans, so (at least in my case) when I say we I mean Houston...when I talk about the Knicks saints or steelers I don't use the term we

Yes, I try not to say "we" because I've seen people complain about it but I certainly am not going to scold someone for using it. Ernie needs to chill. It looks like they just added a new mod here.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#75 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:08 am

bwgood77 wrote: It looks like they just added a new mod here.

:lol: Got that target on your back now! :wink:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Yeah, you know I got on you a bit for talking crap about the Cards on the Suns forum, because that was pretty much trolling, even though you were posting there a lot before bandwagoning on over to the GS team. :wink:

But this is the appropriate place to talk all the crap about the Cards that you want. Ernie was probably a bit excessive with his responses to my All or Nothing post just showing the forum there is an interesting show about behind the scenes stuff about an NFL team.

I imagine if you went to the Bucks forum talking crap about the Packers you wouldn't last long there. They even jumped on another mod for posting about the Beat the Commish competition which the overall site admin Howard wants to promote and then the thread got locked.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#77 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Yeah, you know I got on you a bit for talking crap about the Cards on the Suns forum, because that was pretty much trolling, even though you were posting there a lot before bandwagoning on over to the GS team. :wink:

But this is the appropriate place to talk all the crap about the Cards that you want. Ernie was probably a bit excessive with his responses to my All or Nothing post just showing the forum there is an interesting show about behind the scenes stuff about an NFL team.

I imagine if you went to the Bucks forum talking crap about the Packers you wouldn't last long there. They even jumped on another mod for posting about the Beat the Commish competition which the overall site admin Howard wants to promote and then the thread got locked.

Go Suns! Go Warriors! :D
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#78 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:03 am

I'm surprised by the amount of traffic, you got going on there considering its the dead season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:26 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of traffic, you got going on there considering its the dead season.

Going where? On the Suns forum?
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#80 » by bleu » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:42 am

LET IT FOREVER BE NOTED HERE: If I ever say the word "WE", while referring to an NFL team, in the NFL forum, where people are discussing NFL teams (specifically the ones they support), I am referring to the Carolina Panthers. I feel that I should clear this up to avoid any possible confusion by other members of this board. Yes, I realize that I am not literally a part of the team, nor do I contribute anything to their success, nor do they significantly impact my life; however, as many sports fans do, I consider the Panthers "my team" (again, not literally), therefore I may at times say "WE" while referring to them.

If there is any confusion about this matter, please send me a PM and I can further explain. This post may also be useful to refer to in the future if there is an issue concerning this particular use of words.

Return to The General NFL Board