Rookie
And1: 353

Re: NFC East 

Post#2041 » by Jaydubb » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:Saquon Barkley to the eagles sounds so weird

Especially after I hated the Giants picking him 2nd so much. :lol:

Can't complain about 3 years, $37.75 million though. The RB market is a joke.

$10M-$12M is on the high end for a RB these days.

Personally, I’m not a fan of high running back contracts. So that part I do not like. But without thinking about the contract, saquon behind this OL gonna be real good
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,485

Post#2042 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 329

Post#2043 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 am

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:Saquon Barkley to the eagles sounds so weird

Especially after I hated the Giants picking him 2nd so much. :lol:

Ezekiell Elliott was making $12.5 million/year effective in 2019-2022.

Le'Veon Bell turned down $15 million/year from the Steelers in 2017.

Meanwhile QB salaries shot up to $40-50 million/year and guards are now making $20+ million/year.

High-end RB contracts are low-end contracts for any position other than punter, kicker, and long snapper.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2044 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2045 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 am

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,095

Post#2046 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 am

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:Especially after I hated the Giants picking him 2nd so much. :lol:

Meanwhile QB salaries shot up to $40-50 million/year and guards are now making $20+ million/year.

High-end RB contracts are low-end contracts for any position other than punter, kicker, and long snapper.

Zeke was massively overpaid at the time. Also the league has really devalued the RB position over the last couple of seasons. Anything over $10M is the higher end. Saquon is a great talent though. If he can stay healthy he could really be a game changer. It will be interesting to see how losing Kelce affects the Eagles OL too.
Mariner
Senior
And1: 108

Post#2047 » by Mariner » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:23 am

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:$10M-$12M is on the high end for a RB these days.

Zeke was massively overpaid at the time. Also the league has really devalued the RB position over the last couple of seasons. Anything over $10M is the higher end. Saquon is a great talent though. If he can stay healthy he could really be a game changer. It will be interesting to see how losing Kelce affects the Eagles OL too.

He’s getting more than what the franchise tag is for RBs. Like Zeke, I don’t think that contract is going to age well.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2048 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:40 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2049 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:42 am

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

That’s true. It’s hard to say what the eagles OL will looo like without kelce. Everybody is high on jurgens but he’s no kelce
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2050 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:10 am

The cowboys were running Ezekiel Elliott into the ground. Barkley has 1201 carries so far in his 6 year career and Ezekiel Elliott had about that much after year 4. So I think Barkley might have fresher legs comparatively at this point in their careers.
last stand
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#2051 » by last stand » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:37 am

Mariner wrote:
Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:Ezekiell Elliott was making $12.5 million/year effective in 2019-2022.

He’s getting more than what the franchise tag is for RBs. Like Zeke, I don’t think that contract is going to age well.

You think a 3 year 37 million dollar deal can age the same as a 6 year 90 million dollar deal

I’m going to say those 2 contracts aren’t capable of the same buyers remorse

If 2 guys both making 200k buy cars, one buys a great car for 24k and the other buys a great car for 100k

And the tires fall off of both

I’m going to say guy #1 is going to be a tad bit less remorseful

If saquon is great for 2 of those years, hell even one of them there’d already be a discussion on the validity of the contract
QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#2052 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 am

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

Sure, but Zeke also had $50 million guaranteed and he even got restructured in 2021. So he must have been worth his contract the first 2 seasons.

Saquon got $26 million guaranteed so at worst he's gonna have 2 injury-riddled season and cost $13 million/year per.

If the RB position continuously gets devalued while the salary cap keeps rising, shouldn't at some point paying "top of the market" for a RB not be an overpay? Maybe when the highest paid RB is making $8 million/year?
Mariner
Senior

Post#2053 » by Mariner » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:54 am

last stand wrote:
Mariner wrote:
Mr B wrote:Zeke was massively overpaid at the time. Also the league has really devalued the RB position over the last couple of seasons. Anything over $10M is the higher end. Saquon is a great talent though. If he can stay healthy he could really be a game changer. It will be interesting to see how losing Kelce affects the Eagles OL too.

You think a 3 year 37 million dollar deal can age the same as a 6 year 90 million dollar deal

If 2 guys both making 200k buy cars, one buys a great car for 24k and the other buys a great car for 100k

If saquon is great for 2 of those years, hell even one of them there’d already be a discussion on the validity of the contract

There definitely not the same. But I do think they will regret the signing.
Mariner
Senior

Post#2054 » by Mariner » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 am

Jaydubb wrote:The cowboys were running Ezekiel Elliott into the ground. Barkley has 1201 carries so far in his 6 year career and Ezekiel Elliott had about that much after year 4. So I think Barkley might have fresher legs comparatively at this point in their careers.

Barkley was not healthy enough to be run into the ground. Not sure if that’s a positive.
SurfAndTurf
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#2055 » by SurfAndTurf » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:29 pm

Will this be the year NY and Washington gain ground on Dallas and Philly ? If they had stability at the QB position I would say yes . It’s gonna be hard for Dallas to be better than last season because of the cap issues . Right now Duece is the best RB on the roster . They have no center . No LT and it doesn’t look like the rush defense will be getting better any time soon . It could be worse . Philly still has major major problems at LB and in the secondary . I would say it doesnt look like that will be fixed any time soon but Howie will at least try with some splash signings . But bloods in the water for the other 2 teams for sure .
QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#2056 » by QB_Eagles » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:48 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:Will this be the year NY and Washington gain ground on Dallas and Philly ? If they had stability at the QB position I would say yes . It’s gonna be hard for Dallas to be better than last season because of the cap issues . Right now Duece is the best RB on the roster . They have no center . No LT and it doesn’t look like the rush defense will be getting better any time soon . It could be worse . Philly still has major major problems at LB and in the secondary . I would say it doesnt look like that will be fixed any time soon but Howie will at least try with some splash signings . But bloods in the water for the other 2 teams for sure .

All I want in free agency is Justin Simmons.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2057 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:16 pm

last stand wrote:
Mariner wrote:
Mr B wrote:Zeke was massively overpaid at the time. Also the league has really devalued the RB position over the last couple of seasons. Anything over $10M is the higher end. Saquon is a great talent though. If he can stay healthy he could really be a game changer. It will be interesting to see how losing Kelce affects the Eagles OL too.

If Saquon is injury prone for those 3 years this will look like a really bad contract. Would you still be ok with the contract is Saquon plays less than 10 games a season and misses the playoffs in each of the 3 years he signed to?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2058 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:20 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:Ezekiell Elliott was making $12.5 million/year effective in 2019-2022.

Sure, but Zeke also had $50 million guaranteed and he even got restructured in 2021. So he must have been worth his contract the first 2 seasons.

Saquon got $26 million guaranteed so at worst he's gonna have 2 injury-riddled season and cost $13 million/year per.

If the RB position continuously gets devalued while the salary cap keeps rising, shouldn't at some point paying "top of the market" for a RB not be an overpay? Maybe when the highest paid RB is making $8 million/year?

I think we already established that Zeke’s contract was a massive over pay and was a terrible contract. Especially because he was never as good as he was before he signed the contract. His play decreased every year after he signed that deal. So comparing Saquon’s contract to Zeke’s is just bad all the way around.

You’re comparing apples to oranges anyways. The market for RB’s is different than it was when Zeke was signed. Paying over market value for an injury prone RB is not a smart thing to do.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2059 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:22 pm

SurfAndTurf wrote:Will this be the year NY and Washington gain ground on Dallas and Philly ? If they had stability at the QB position I would say yes . It’s gonna be hard for Dallas to be better than last season because of the cap issues . Right now Duece is the best RB on the roster . They have no center . No LT and it doesn’t look like the rush defense will be getting better any time soon . It could be worse . Philly still has major major problems at LB and in the secondary . I would say it doesnt look like that will be fixed any time soon but Howie will at least try with some splash signings . But bloods in the water for the other 2 teams for sure .

The NFC East having a different winner should definitely continue this coming season. There’s an outside chance Washington wins the division if they draft the right QB.
Jaydubb
Rookie

Post#2060 » by Jaydubb » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:40 pm

Mariner wrote:
Jaydubb wrote:The cowboys were running Ezekiel Elliott into the ground. Barkley has 1201 carries so far in his 6 year career and Ezekiel Elliott had about that much after year 4. So I think Barkley might have fresher legs comparatively at this point in their careers.

Barkley was not healthy enough to be run into the ground. Not sure if that’s a positive.

He wasn’t healthy because of the field he was playing on. MetLife is notorious for causing injuries. I’d rather have a young rb that can recover vs a young rb that has already had the same amount of carries and times being tackled as a 30 year old running back.

Return to The General NFL Board