Thursday Games

Moderator: bwgood77

Get rid of all non-holiday Thursday games?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:13 am

YES! Boo, Thursday games!
27%
NO! I need more football!
47%
The NFL won't stop until they own every day of the week!
7%
I really don't care one way or another
20%

Total votes: 15

bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Re: RE: Re: Thursday Games 

Post#21 » by bleu » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Mr. E wrote:I'm going to assume that these horrible, unnecessary Thursday games are contributing to the current NFL over-saturation which is tanking the ratings across the board.

The ratings decline cannot be blamed on the Presidential debate cycle. Over-saturation is a big deal, along with over-officiating and many other aspects. Thursday games have to be a big one, though.

I don't think that's it. I mean, maybe in a very minor way. But does it really seem to you like there is a dramatic decrease in interest in the NFL this year? Sure doesn't for me. I think the biggest thing contributing to the lower numbers is NFL Red Zone channel. Most fantasy players and football diehards watch almost entirely NFLRZ, including myself. And from my understanding, the viewership from that doesn't count towards "traditional" viewer numbers.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Re: Thursday Games 

Post#22 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Mr. E wrote:I'm going to assume that these horrible, unnecessary Thursday games are contributing to the current NFL over-saturation which is tanking the ratings across the board.

The ratings decline cannot be blamed on the Presidential debate cycle. Over-saturation is a big deal, along with over-officiating and many other aspects. Thursday games have to be a big one, though.

If Thursday games are hurting ratings, it'd have to be because a lot of the games haven't been so good. As I said, I love the Thursday game as a mid-week treat of football and really look forward to it, even if the game ends up being a dud. I also don't avoid football on Sunday or Monday simply because I got to catch a game on Thursday. Maybe I'm on the more dedicated end of their viewership, but that's how things are in the RavenMad household.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#23 » by Mr. E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 am

bleu wrote:

I don't think that's it. I mean, maybe in a very minor way. But does it really seem to you like there is a dramatic decrease in interest in the NFL this year? Sure doesn't for me. I think the biggest thing contributing to the lower numbers is NFL Red Zone channel. Most fantasy players and football diehards watch almost entirely NFLRZ, including myself. And from my understanding, the viewership from that doesn't count towards "traditional" viewer numbers.

Here's a good article which discusses the possible reasons for the decrease in ratings across the board. One of those discussed involves the whole split screen/device system that is difficult to track.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/nfl-ratings-just-fell-off-a-cliff-why/503666/

Speaking from personal experience, I'm seeing a pretty big decline in interest for football with the people who surround me. For my own part I have not watched a prime time game this season where the Texans were not involved, and I'm finding myself wanting to go out and do other things while the games are on Sundays. I still have my fantasy football scores, but I can check those at the end of the day. I don't even have alerts or an app on my phone anymore.

That's what brings me around to the idea that over-saturation may be a consideration to take seriously. The NFL was going to reach the point of over-saturation eventually, and they may have accelerated it with things like spreading the NFL draft to three nights, all during prime time or spreading their product across too many days of the week.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#24 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 am

Mr. E wrote:
bleu wrote:

Here's a good article which discusses the possible reasons for the decrease in ratings across the board. One of those discussed involves the whole split screen/device system that is difficult to track.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/nfl-ratings-just-fell-off-a-cliff-why/503666/

Speaking from personal experience, I'm seeing a pretty big decline in interest for football with the people who surround me. For my own part I have not watched a prime time game this season where the Texans were not involved, and I'm finding myself wanting to go out and do other things while the games are on Sundays. I still have my fantasy football scores, but I can check those at the end of the day. I don't even have alerts or an app on my phone anymore.

That's what brings me around to the idea that over-saturation may be a consideration to take seriously. The NFL was going to reach the point of over-saturation eventually, and they may have accelerated it with things like spreading the NFL draft to three nights, all during prime time or spreading their product across too many days of the week.

Peter King, in his MMQB column, suggested it was partly due to the election, as it is always down during election years, and this is a very controversial one. However, it is far more down than usual.

The Rams could have something to do with it, as St Louis may have had more people watching as more people do other things like hit the beach. Of course it's a much bigger market, but the 28-0 loss to expectedly terrible SF probably didn't help either. But that's just a tough that came to mind, and being the much bigger market, ratings in LA may still have beat the StL ratings.

I don't know if the Brady suspension could have hurt either. It may have just hit a peak and when that happens you will normally see a decline the following year.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Mr. E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Peter King, in his MMQB column, suggested it was partly due to the election, as it is always down during election years, and this is a very controversial one. However, it is far more down than usual.

The Rams could have something to do with it, as St Louis may have had more people watching as more people do other things like hit the beach. Of course it's a much bigger market, but the 28-0 loss to expectedly terrible SF probably didn't help either. But that's just a thought that came to mind, and being the much bigger market, ratings in LA may still have beat the StL ratings.

I don't know if the Brady suspension could have hurt either. It may have just hit a peak and when that happens you will normally see a decline the following year.

I hadn't considered that bit about the Rams. Good food for thought there.

Brady's suspension may not hurt directly, but it may be a symptom of a bigger problem. It could all tie into the "No Fun League" that many complain about. People like personalities (usually), and the NFL has done it's bit to hammer those away. There will never again be the likes of the Icky Shuffle in the modern NFL.

The Brady part goes deeper than personality or star power, though. He will forevermore be tied to fighting the NFL in court over something that many people found to be on the ridiculous side. That kind of stuff does drag on after a while.
- Winston Churchill
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Mr. E wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Peter King, in his MMQB column, suggested it was partly due to the election, as it is always down during election years, and this is a very controversial one. However, it is far more down than usual.

The Rams could have something to do with it, as St Louis may have had more people watching as more people do other things like hit the beach. Of course it's a much bigger market, but the 28-0 loss to expectedly terrible SF probably didn't help either. But that's just a thought that came to mind, and being the much bigger market, ratings in LA may still have beat the StL ratings.

I hadn't considered that bit about the Rams. Good food for thought there.

Brady's suspension may not hurt directly, but it may be a symptom of a bigger problem. It could all tie into the "No Fun League" that many complain about. People like personalities (usually), and the NFL has done it's bit to hammer those away. There will never again be the likes of the Icky Shuffle in the modern NFL.

The Brady part goes deeper than personality or star power, though. He will forevermore be tied to fighting the NFL in court over something that many people found to be on the ridiculous side. That kind of stuff does drag on after a while.

How about the whole streaming thing playing a part? Fewer and fewer people, especially younger people, simply just don't get tvs any more? They just watch everything on their computer? With no tv, not an option that impacts ratings. Especially since people know they can likely find a stream anyway, or go to a sports bar that gets Sunday Ticket.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Mr. E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:How about the whole streaming thing playing a part? Fewer and fewer people, especially younger people, simply just don't get tvs any more? They just watch everything on their computer? With no tv, not an option that impacts ratings. Especially since people know they can likely find a stream anyway, or go to a sports bar that gets Sunday Ticket.

The article I linked earlier does discuss the impact of streaming and how it is difficult to measure. But keep in mind that all of the options for streaming and all of the sports bars and other shared venues are things that have been available in past seasons, and there has not been a substantial decline until this year.

There are multiple factors to be considered in this current situation. Right now the NFL does not seem to be in "panic mode," but they do seem to be rightfully concerned.
- Winston Churchill
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#28 » by bmurph128 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:13 pm

I like there being non-Sunday games. Maybe they should move them to Friday or Saturday to give the players more time to recover, but overall I like the concept and I like that every team plays a Thursday game.

What is worse is playing games overseas. I hate that the Rams are going to be doing more of it. But I know that's good for the NFL overall, so won't be going away...and actually they'll be going to China soon.

The NFL is more popular than ever IMO...not sure how they figure out the ratings, but so many people are streaming now
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#29 » by Throwback24 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Mostly bore me.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#30 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 pm

I know this..

Given the choices of a Thursday night NFL Regular Season game, a NLDS game and Opening night for the Stars...

GO STARS!!!!!
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by bleu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:I know this..

Given the choices of a Thursday night NFL Regular Season game, a NLDS game and Opening night for the Stars...

GO STARS!!!!!

Hockey is about the only sport I really can't get into. At least watching it on TV, that is. I'll even watch baseball and some occasional golf, but unless it's the Stanley Cup or an elimination game, I just can't get into it no matter how hard I try.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:06 pm

bleu wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I know this..

GO STARS!!!!!

Hockey is about the only sport I really can't get into. At least watching it on TV, that is. I'll even watch baseball and some occasional golf, but unless it's the Stanley Cup or an elimination game, I just can't get into it no matter how hard I try.

I used to be that way... until about 20 years ago when I became hooked on the Stars. It's nothing for me to have the Stars and the Mavs on separate TV's if they're both playing. My wife thinks I'm defective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#33 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 am

The invention and expansion of the smart phone
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:30 am

bleu wrote:I love the color rush unis. I think it's good for teams to change it up every now and then, as long as it's just on occasion and doesn't get out of hand like some college teams.

I'd prefer to see traditional throwbacks on Thursday nights.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Well last night's game should have given them a huge ratings boost.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#36 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm finally going to say it. As much as I love football, I hate the NFL Thursday night games. Let college have Thursday nights and let the NFL go back to having a couple games on Saturday like before. The product of the Thursday night games is just beyond putrid. Its not just the uniforms, its the damn game itself. Bad and boring match ups for one thing (not sure to blame here, the media or NFL for picking these games). Too many miss matches and blow outs. Home team has way too much advantage on these nights in most cases. Players need more time to recover than just 3 days from the previous poundings they took over the previous weekend. More fumbles, turnovers, dropped ball and horrific tackling. And these rush uniforms are just hideous looking. Can we make Thursday night more traditional and have throwback Thursday night or something along those lines instead?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm finally going to say it. As much as I love football, I hate the NFL Thursday night games. Let college have Thursday nights and let the NFL go back to having a couple games on Saturday like before. The product of the Thursday night games is just beyond putrid. Its not just the uniforms, its the damn game itself. Bad and boring match ups for one thing (not sure to blame here, the media or NFL for picking these games). Too many miss matches and blow outs. Home team has way too much advantage on these nights in most cases. Players need more time to recover than just 3 days from the previous poundings they took over the previous weekend. More fumbles, turnovers, dropped ball and horrific tackling. And these rush uniforms are just hideous looking. Can we make Thursday night more traditional and have throwback Thursday night or something along those lines instead?

I would agree for the most part. Teams hate having to prepare on a short week. Most of the games they schedule are garbage match ups anyway. Throw out Thursdays & go back to playing games on just Sunday/Monday.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by bleu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:51 pm

As someone who really enjoys having football on most nights of the week (even though I haven't enjoyed many of the recent TNF games, the matchups are just dreadful), I do believe that there needs to be a change. Players and coaches hate it, they shouldn't be thrown back out on the field so soon. My favorite solution that I've seen is to keep the TNF games, but only schedule teams for Thursday nights after their bye week. I also wouldn't be opposed to adding a week onto the season and giving teams a second bye, but that's an entirely different discussion.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm

According to Adam Schefter this morning, the Thursday night NFL package generates over $1B for the league.

So there's that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#40 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:34 pm

If they want to improve Thursday night games, the product need to improve. too many crappy teams are being shown. Nobody is interested in a Brown- Jaguar match up when both teams are out of it. But it's also unfair to the good teams to be the only ones playing on Thursday night as well. I remember back in the 70's when Landry used to complain about the Cowboys having to play on Monday night football 4 or 5 times a year. The rating were awesome though.

Return to The General NFL Board