Dak Prescott thread

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Re: Dak Prescott thread 

Post#881 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:22 pm

It appears at the moment Jerry is willing to let Dak play out his contract next season. :pray:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#882 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:51 pm

So no restructuring meaning he will be a UFA after next season.

But does that necessarily mean the Cowboys will move on from him?

Unless they make trades or drafts a QB next month, what would be their options a year from now for the fall of 2025?

Will they have a lot more cap space if Dak walks in early 2025?

Presumably they will give Lamb and Prescott big contracts by the start of the 2025 season? So how much cap space can they free up?

If they don't win the SB in the 2024 season, why would their prospects be any better in 2025 and beyond without a franchise QB in place?

Jerry really gonna wait another 3 seasons from 2025 to see if they can have another MVP-level QB?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#883 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:17 am

wco81 wrote:So no restructuring meaning he will be a UFA after next season.

Unless they make trades or drafts a QB next month, what would be their options a year from now for the fall of 2025?

Presumably they will give Lamb and Prescott big contracts by the start of the 2025 season? So how much cap space can they free up?

If they don't win the SB in the 2024 season, why would their prospects be any better in 2025 and beyond without a franchise QB in place?

Jerry really gonna wait another 3 seasons from 2025 to see if they can have another MVP-level QB?

Well they really have until the start of the season to get a contract done with Dak. If not then yes he will be an UFA after the season. They have to get a deal done with Lamb this off season. They can wait until next off season to give Micah Parsons a new contract.

As for what is the Jones’ plan? I honestly don’t think they have one. I think they expected Dak would agree to a low ball “home town” discount. When that didn’t happen they had/have no backup plan.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#884 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:26 pm

Mr B wrote:

Well they really have until the start of the season to get a contract done with Dak. If not then yes he will be an UFA after the season. They have to get a deal done with Lamb this off season. They can wait until next off season to give Micah Parsons a new contract.

As for what is the Jones’ plan? I honestly don’t think they have one. I think they expected Dak would agree to a low ball “home town” discount. When that didn’t happen they had/have no backup plan.

Why give Lamb and Parsons contracts at all this year? Especially at this point? I say wait it out like they are doing with Dumb Dak. If they all show up like they did the last time we saw them, well, maybe its time to blow the whole thing up and start over. I'm starting to have my doubts about Parsons anyway. Another D. Ware that doesn't show up in big games or playoff games. Parsons wants Chris Jones money and I really don't think he is worth it from what we have seen of him so far. Pod casts seem to be his thing anyway and he thinks he is entitled just because he wears the helmet with a star on it. if Parsons wants to be the highest paid defensive player, let him earn it first. Its a slap in the face to all the real Cowboy greats of the past that did earn it.
wco81
RealGM

Post#885 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:04 pm

But letting your best players go isn't a plan either.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#886 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:09 pm

wco81 wrote:But letting your best players go isn't a plan either.

I don't want to fork out 30+ mill each to Lamb and Parsons when they don't show up in the playoffs or against any of the elite teams in the NFL.
wco81
RealGM

Post#887 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:25 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

I don't want to fork out 30+ mill each to Lamb and Parsons when they don't show up in the playoffs or against any of the elite teams in the NFL.

You don't even get to the playoffs without those players.

They could use 2 FRPs to draft replacements and there are no guarantees that they'd be as productive players.

Again it comes down to how willing Jerry is to rebuild.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#888 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 pm

wco81 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

They could use 2 FRPs to draft replacements and there are no guarantees that they'd be as productive players.

If you want the gospel truth, we have been rebuilding for 29 years watching Jerry go all in year after year. I also believe the Cowboys won't make the playoffs anyway. Now is the good time to blow it all up. If Dak would waive his no trade clause, I would have no problem trading all 3 of them before the draft and starting over.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 327

Post#889 » by QB_Eagles » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 pm

They should get a new contract with Dak done before Purdy resets the QB market with an MVP award under his belt next year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Re: Dak: 4 years, $160m 

Post#890 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:it doesnt really matter to dak what the cap hit is, as long as he gets his money. He got his money. He's making 40 million in year 3 and 4 counting towards the cap, he's not worth that much.

Maybe not today. But in a year or two, it could look like a bargain. The Cap will grow.

That’s what’s expected. There will be a huge jump in the cap in 2022 and 2023 because of the new tv deal and then because of gambling. This contract is not going to be a hinderance to the Cowboys at all.

Also the next crop of QB’s to get paid are all going to start their negotiations with Dak’s contract. Jackson, Baker, and Josh Allen will likely all get contracts within the next 2 years that are higher than Dak’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure about that now? :thinking:
wco81
RealGM

Post#891 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
wco81 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't want to fork out 30+ mill each to Lamb and Parsons when they don't show up in the playoffs or against any of the elite teams in the NFL.

If you want the gospel truth, we have been rebuilding for 29 years watching Jerry go all in year after year. I also believe the Cowboys won't make the playoffs anyway. Now is the good time to blow it all up. If Dak would waive his no trade clause, I would have no problem trading all 3 of them before the draft and starting over.

But that's not where the rest of Cowboy fan base are. They may be disappointed in the performance of the team this past season, but most fans and the team going to blow it all up?

For Lamb and Parsons, they might do something similar to what the Chiefs just did, which was to sign Jones to a huge contract and trade Sneed.

Chiefs got a 7th pick this year and a 3rd pick next year. But one reason Chiefs were willing to not extend Sneed is that they think they have some young CBs on the team already who could be as good or better.

Cowboys don't have a replacement, so trading Lamb might not even net them a FRP.

Parsons might get a bigger trade return but again, no clear replacement on the team.

If they trade away or let these players walk away, they might as well get rid of other high-salary players like Diggs, reset the timeline.

That might be a strategy where other top NFC teams are out of their window by the time the Cowboys are on the rise again.

However, Packers are very young and Detroit isn't that old yet.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#892 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Why give Lamb and Parsons contracts at all this year? Especially at this point? I say wait it out like they are doing with Dumb Dak. If they all show up like they did the last time we saw them, well, maybe its time to blow the whole thing up and start over. I'm starting to have my doubts about Parsons anyway. Another D. Ware that doesn't show up in big games or playoff games. Parsons wants Chris Jones money and I really don't think he is worth it from what we have seen of him so far. Pod casts seem to be his thing anyway and he thinks he is entitled just because he wears the helmet with a star on it. if Parsons wants to be the highest paid defensive player, let him earn it first. Its a slap in the face to all the real Cowboy greats of the past that did earn it.

If the Cowboys had an actual plan and if that plan was to be “all in” then Dak would be extended, Lamb would be given a new contract and they would have brought back at least a couple of their own free agents. Again “if they had a plan” that’s what they would have done.

Or IF they had a plan to tank, then why sign Hendricks? Just tank 1 or 2 years and get out from under Dak’s contract. That’s not what they’re doing though. The Hendricks signed show that.

I main complaint is that they do not have a place
Mr B
RealGM

Post#893 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Maybe not today. But in a year or two, it could look like a bargain. The Cap will grow.

That’s what’s expected. There will be a huge jump in the cap in 2022 and 2023 because of the new tv deal and then because of gambling. This contract is not going to be a hinderance to the Cowboys at all.

Also the next crop of QB’s to get paid are all going to start their negotiations with Dak’s contract. Jackson, Baker, and Josh Allen will likely all get contracts within the next 2 years that are higher than Dak’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure about that now? :thinking:

Yes, like I explained yesterday if they wanted cap space they could get it without touching Dak’s contract. They are refusing to do so though.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,960

Post#894 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:01 am

Dak once tweeted as a fan that he was done with Romo and that there's no excuses for interceptions. Oh the irony.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#895 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:00 am

ChipotleWest wrote:Dak once tweeted as a fan that he was done with Romo and that there's no excuses for interceptions. Oh the irony.

Read on Twitter

Yea it is pretty ironic that his career has been damn near identical to Romo’s.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#896 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:02 am

Mr B wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Dak once tweeted as a fan that he was done with Romo and that there's no excuses for interceptions. Oh the irony.

Read on Twitter

Romo is a Cowboy for Life and will be an inductee into the historic Ring of Honor by winning just one playoff game in his career.

Will Dak become a Cowboy lifer as well like Romo? He already has a playoff win so maybe...

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jerry-jones-romo-will-be-in-ring-of-honor

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/romo-cowboys-land-6-year-108m-40m-true-guarantee-extension/
Mr B
RealGM

Post#897 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:57 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Read on Twitter

Romo is a Cowboy for Life and will be an inductee into the historic Ring of Honor by winning just one playoff game in his career.

Will Dak become a Cowboy lifer as well like Romo? He already has a playoff win so maybe...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/romo-cowboys-land-6-year-108m-40m-true-guarantee-extension/

I would be SHOCKED if Romo makes it into the Ring of Honor. The only way I see Romo making it in is if he makes it into the HOF as an announcer.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#898 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea it is pretty ironic that his career has been damn near identical to Romo’s.

I would be SHOCKED if Romo makes it into the Ring of Honor. The only way I see Romo making it in is if he makes it into the HOF as an announcer.

Didn't you check out the first link unless you think Jerry Jones is a liar since it came out of the mouth of babes. And he is the sole decider on who goes in and who doesn't.

Besides he was much better as a QB then he is as an extremely irritating announcer making weird sounds like he was delivering a baby.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/tony-romo-playoffs-chiefs-ravens-criticism-nonsense-what-the-hell-man

https://youtu.be/BC1lusyyUAU?si=zYldz2WscAtqFaX5
Mr B
RealGM

Post#899 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:43 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Romo is a Cowboy for Life and will be an inductee into the historic Ring of Honor by winning just one playoff game in his career.

Didn't you check out the first link unless you think Jerry Jones is a liar since it came out of the mouth of babes. And he is the sole decider on who goes in and who doesn't.

Besides he was much better as a QB then he is as an extremely irritating announcer making weird sounds like he was delivering a baby.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/tony-romo-playoffs-chiefs-ravens-criticism-nonsense-what-the-hell-man

https://youtu.be/BC1lusyyUAU?si=zYldz2WscAtqFaX5

The Cowboys Ring of Honor is extremely selective. Every member of the Cowboys Ring of Honor has either played in multiple SB’s or has at least 1 SB Ring. Romo has neither. Jerry likes to rile up the Romo lovers but the fact his he doesn’t have the career accolades to be inducted into the ROH.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#900 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea it is pretty ironic that his career has been damn near identical to Romo’s.

Won't happen, ain't happening. We haven't any Ring Of Honor or Hall Of Famers on this team in 29 years. (Unless you consider D. Ware who got a ring in Denver who I still consider over rated one). Nevertheless I don't believe he is even worthy of Ring Of Honor. Or Jason Witten for that matter.

Return to The General NFL Board